Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by jay87shot View Post
    Agreed, really showed that we have a big lack of talent on the D-line after Kenny Clark.

Here are my list of needs before free agency
    1)WR 2)D-Line 3)TE 4)ILB (possibly 1 if we don't keep Martinez) 5) O-Line depth 6)Special Teams

I always like the idea of trading back to pick up an extra early third or something along those lines. We have #30 pick so maybe a team with multiple 2nd or thirds like Miami, Indy, Denver, Atlanta, or Seattle.
    Here is my Mock with a trade where we send 30 and our 5th to Denver for 46, 83, and 96

2(46)WR Tyler Johnson Big, fast, great hands. Will likely fall due to all the top talent at WR.
    2(62)ILB Troy Dye There are 4 or 5 nice ILB in the second round range so one should drop.
    3(83)TE Cole Kmet Bigger and would make a nice 1/2 with Sternberger
    3(94)DL Jordan Elliot I don't know much about the D-Line prospects after the top couple
    3(96)WR Devin Duverney It would be nice to get a slot and an outside player.

Adding for the extra picks would allow us to build better depth and still have the 5 picks or so later in the draft for O-line and possibly special teams.
    For the most part I like your thoughts and agree. Another option to add a higher pick would be to trade our 2021 1st for pick 39 with Miami who has 3 1st's and 2 2nd's.

I like Tyler Johnson, I have him at 62. At 94 I was thinking Rashard Lawrence DT from LSU, but wouldn't mind addressing it earlier. Someone else mentioned ILB Jordan Brooks, who is the only ILB I really like in this draft.

Quote Originally Posted by IRNMN View Post
    Interesting question, a lot of people have Jake Fromm pretty low, an interesting guy if you can develop. Fromm on the board in the 3rd, do we take him? On surface value doesnt look the the guy, but worst case you upgrade at back up QB, with all due respect to Boyle. Or do you wait another year? Or maybe even this Herbert late 1st, or Love late 2nd?

Gute sounded like he would pull the trigger if the right guy fell. Doubt Hebert or Love fall in those spot, but hypothetically.
    I don't hate the idea, but a rookie QB on a 4 year deal when we expect Rodgers to play 3 more years doesn't make a ton of sense.

But the backup QB spot has been a problem for a while so I see the appeal if a guy they like falls.

Quote Originally Posted by ugottabjoshinme View Post
    I don't hate the idea, but a rookie QB on a 4 year deal when we expect Rodgers to play 3 more years doesn't make a ton of sense.

But the backup QB spot has been a problem for a while so I see the appeal if a guy they like falls.
    I'm thinking of both short term and long term value here. Fromm looks like a guy if two years from now doesn't look like Rodgers will be retiring you could flip for picks down the road. Serves as an upgrade at back up, and maybe if developed right the potential heir. The things with Fromm at times he looks like a future stud in the NFL, other times he looks like he's destined to be a back-up.

I like the idea of drafting a higher upside QB in the 3rd or 4th and then we could trade that guy in a couple years if it looks like Rodgers will play past 40 then. However, I think we have a lot of holes so unless we sign a bunch of free agents to depth deals (1 or 2 year deals 3-5 million a year) I would think we will have more pressing needs. Josh Rosen could be an interesting idea, I wouldn't think he wouldn't cost more than a 4th/5th at this point and he could be a perfect Cal guy to pair and learn from Rodgers. I not a big fan of the non-1st 2nd round rated qbs in this draft unless Eason or Fromm fall a bit which could be reasonable.

I like the idea of drafting a higher upside QB in the 3rd or 4th and then we could trade that guy in a couple years if it looks like Rodgers will play past 40 then. However, I think we have a lot of holes so unless we sign a bunch of free agents to depth deals (1 or 2 year deals 3-5 million a year) I would think we will have more pressing needs. Josh Rosen could be an interesting idea, I wouldn't think he wouldn't cost more than a 4th/5th at this point and he could be a perfect Cal guy to pair and learn from Rodgers. I not a big fan of the non-1st 2nd round rated qbs in this draft unless Eason or Fromm fall a bit which could be reasonable.
    Thing is the trade for a backup without much experience thing doesn't really happen as often anymore. That guys first off has to play some regular season and look good. So you legit need Rodgers to get hurt, which is possible. But then you also run into the situation where say in 3 years were trading a guy with like 4 starts and 1 year left on his contract. That's a scary spot to be in as an acquiring team.

I'm okay going with like a later round guy and hoping he pops or is better than Boyle. But I'm not a fan of anything before the 4th at the earliest. There's too many other spots we can upgrade or at least create competition at with those early picks.

Quote Originally Posted by crewfan13 View Post
    Thing is the trade for a backup without much experience thing doesn't really happen as often anymore. That guys first off has to play some regular season and look good. So you legit need Rodgers to get hurt, which is possible. But then you also run into the situation where say in 3 years were trading a guy with like 4 starts and 1 year left on his contract. That's a scary spot to be in as an acquiring team.

I'm okay going with like a later round guy and hoping he pops or is better than Boyle. But I'm not a fan of anything before the 4th at the earliest. There's too many other spots we can upgrade or at least create competition at with those early picks.
    I think the second spot is where Fromm makes sense, looking at teams who have a halfway decent back up can get by fine. I think at some point they need to look QB.

On a side note, whoever is advising Fromm to enter this draft is an idiot dude would have been a top 3-4 QB next year. His replacement Newman is going to benefit from it and may slide to the #2 spot. I digress.

However, I agree it may be too early to think QB when Anthony Gordon is a guy I have circled if he's floating around 5-6 round. He's probably the highest ceiling day 3 guy. Give him some time to develop he could become the guy.

I think the thing with fromm is that he just sort of is who he is. He's a pocket passer with decent decision making and intangibles with a questionable arm. Not sure going back really answers any of his questions. To me, he was always andy Dalton esque and going back to college won't help a ton unless he magically gets significantly more athletic or gains some velocity on his throws.

Quote Originally Posted by crewfan13 View Post
    I think the thing with fromm is that he just sort of is who he is. He's a pocket passer with decent decision making and intangibles with a questionable arm. Not sure going back really answers any of his questions. To me, he was always andy Dalton esque and going back to college won't help a ton unless he magically gets significantly more athletic or gains some velocity on his throws.
    I would agree, I had him with a Kirk Cousins like upside somedays brilliant other days you question why he's starting. Going back certainly could hurt too. A perfect example of that would be Albert Okwuegbunam, I had him going no later than early-round 3, probably a mid-2 guy, but I could see him maybe falling to late 4 or 5.

As for the TE's He could be a great pick up to complement Sternberger. My favorite TE spec is Moss because I think he fits the system well. I would say system fits would be Moss, Pinkney, Parkinson, O'Grady, and Okwuegbunam maybe in that order. Sternberger I think they will be able to utilize in a versatile way, and maybe adding another guy with some blocking chops and solid-average playmaking would be a great option.

For me, for QBs in particular, it almost always hurts guys to go back. Unless you're a pretty late round pick, like Burrow was, it usually doesn't help much to go back. Sometimes you get a riser like baker did, but more often I feel like guys fall. It always seems like when you're eligible, teams look for reasons to like you. When you go back, unless you drastically improve, teams look for reasons to doubt you.

I like Anthony Gordon as a 5th/6th guy as well. WSU QB's are generally hard to really on tape alot but Minshew had relative success and I think Gordon likely is a better prospect than him.

I've been trying to look at dlineman but always struggle because draft videos always look good and don't show them losing at the point of attack. I've liked what I've seen from Justin Madibuike and Larrell Murchison but have a hard time saying they are great fits for us without seeing full game tapes.

I like Anthony Gordon as a 5th/6th guy as well. WSU QB's are generally hard to really on tape alot but Minshew had relative success and I think Gordon likely is a better prospect than him.

I've been trying to look at dlineman but always struggle because draft videos always look good and don't show them losing at the point of attack. I've liked what I've seen from Justin Madibuike and Larrell Murchison but have a hard time saying they are great fits for us without seeing full game tapes.
    I like Gordon too, I don't think there is a higher ceiling day three QB out there. He's a guy you would need to let marinate, but some of his biggest issues is not an elite arm and his footwork sometimes is lacking largely because he stops moving them. Those are correctable. Give him 3 years to work with Hackett and see what he can become. He's also athletic enough you may even be able to consider him for some packages in the future like they run in New Orleans, no guarantee on that.

I think with DL spot is a spot they may want to consider going early or find an underrated FA gem. I wouldn't be upset if the took a DL in round 1 or 2. Madibuike I think looks a lot like Corey Liguet or Sedrick Ellis type player. He's got the frame you want in a 3-4 end. I can see Madibuike as a fit, but no so much Murchison I think is more of a project he's not really flexible, and he plays very tight. Right now I have Murchison more of a nice 4th option in a 3-4 scheme. Murchison would be an upgrade immediately from what I've seen from Adams, but not sure how much more I'd trust him over Lancaster. I would love to see Lancaster be the 4th or even 5th of Keke can step up, best guy on the DL. I would like to seem them take a look at Blacklock, he's got the size and could be an absolute monster if he stays healthy.

With us having a ton of late-round picks, I would assume we move some, but a late-round guy who I have my eye on is Logan Wilson. Former DB, but I think looks like a smart player, and has some great awareness on the field. He wasn't athletic enough to be a DB, but he has solid athleticism for an LB. He may need a little touching up, but if you watch the film he is generally in the position himself in the right spots to cause chaos. Great motor, great footwork, and he was extremely productive. He has great ball skills as well.

If we bring Bulaga back I would love to look at Ben Bartch, former TE who moved because he bulked up, but still have the athleticism to be a great fit for this system. A project player, but if we can stall him a year or two we have a nice option for the RT of the future.

I've heard people say the Packers "love" both Justin Herbert and Jordan Love. If they are close Gute may not only take them but may even move up a few slots. I tend to buy this because Gute has not been shy they may looking QB if the opportunity is there. The same person, says the Packers for sure have the heir with in the next two seasons. If they don't add their "guy" this year look for them to stack up "capital" for next year's draft when you have Trevor, Newman, and Fields as the early big 3 (not sure who they favor, Trevor's likely out of reach).

This may be a draft where we are sitting say huh, but five years from now call it brilliant.

If Herbert or Love gets developed and sits a little to work the kinks out they could easily be studs in this league.

if we had a chance to get a haul for rodgers would you guys do it? meaning where is that line for packers fans? its business right? so if we draft a QB and rodgers is still very good next year but we come up short and its because of him would you guys be willing to offer him up for multiple firsts?

i def wouldnt but the idea really wouldnt be terrible tbh and it could really do wonders for us over the years.

I wouldnt for anything remotely realistic, but that's also partially because we don't really have a ton of young talent. Unless you get a mahomes who is elite right away, you're going to miss the window for most of our talent. Guys like adams, bak, the Smiths and those types are in their primes right now. Jones is young but RBs age really poorly. Jaire and Clark are both young really good players, but for the most part, our core of talent has probsvly 2-3 years of high level play left. I'd rather load up with Rodgers for 2-3ish years. Even if that means when Rodgers leaves we have a few down seasons.

Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast