Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 17 of 18 FirstFirst ... 715161718 LastLast
    https://twitter.com/andyhermannfl/st...634300928?s=21

Going into the offseason, I thought the Packers' biggest needs were DL, playmaker at WR, ILB, and long term OT.

The offseason isn't over, but now that the draft is over:

DL: Gerald Willis
    WR: Devin Funchess
    ILB: Christian Kirksey | Kamal Martin
    OT: Rick Wagner

I mean damn. Thats wild they addressed the major holes in this fashion. Like what the hell???

At least we got OL depth. Canít knock them for that. Accomplished something.

Everything else sure seems bleak as upgrades go.

Quote Originally Posted by IRNMN View Post
    I don't see how you can say they did nothing to help Rodger this season. They added physical player which they were lacking in games like LAC and SF. They bolstered the OL. They added decent depth on defense.

Playmakers on offense was not the biggest need physical players were. Davante Adams, Aaron Jones, Allen Lazard, Jamaal Williams, and even MVS to a smaller extent were playmakers. They needed OL for the future and added three players who could all be late-round steals. There is more than one way to help a QB. You add a power back which adds a new dynamic to this offense. Defenses didn't fear Jones/Williams in terms of being physical, they feared their agility and quickness. Dillon has speed and can make defenders pay and break tackles. Deguara gives them an additional receiving option out of the backfield and a TE which can help stretch the field along with Sternberger and Tonyan. It may not have been the improvements they fans wanted, but they likely were ones they teams needed.
    Could not disagree more. Playmaker a were needed. Jones is a playmaker. Adams kind of is. But he also gets run down in open field by Richard Sherman.

No one else is. Funchess and lazard offer nothing after the catch. Jamal Williams has one of the worst forced missed tackle rates in football. If MVS gets in open field he can outrun guys, but hes not making guys miss.

And a power run game doesnt neccesarily start with a power back. It starts with the offensive line. Look at San Fran. Coleman, mostert, brieda and Jeff Wilson got basically all of their HB carries. Coleman is 205 and the other 3 are sub 200. Balt has some bigger backs, but those guys are 215ish.

And with Aaron Jones on the field, we were a pretty good run team. It's been the Shanahan way since Mike's days at Denver. If your line is good at your system, the rbs are somewhat interchangeable and one cut decisiveness is more important than pure power. So if lafluer is a Shanahan disciple, I don't get why this pick was so important.

The other thing is look at the wr groups of the other top run teams. San Fran is prioritizing guts who can make you miss like deebo and now aiyuk to use creatively as an extension of the run. Aiyuk also has some deep threat skills too. Baltimore hit pure speed. You creep up on the run and they hit you over the top to one of their 3 wr's who runs a 4.42 or faster 40. Tennessee drafted aj brown last year who was 2nd in the nfl in yards per catch. Teams like Seattle drafted a pure vertical type wr in metcalf and already had a dynamic guy in lockett who can rip off chunk plays.

We have jump ball guys. Our primary end around wr last year was Allison, who isn't dynamic, but no one really is.

I honestly beleive if you wanted to help the run game next year, you would have been better off taking an OL and a field stretcher in rounds 2 and 3 than a RB and H-back.

Excuse my use of the words "fell" but there is little chance that 4th round pick has all that much of an impact this season. You assuming also they could have found someone to move up with. Ample can honestly change. I'm not saying we win the Super Bowl, but this draft didn't make us worse.
    But it's not even the person in the 4th round, it's what trading that pick handcuffed them into not being able to move. Everyone hypothesized that wr's we liked kept going off the board right before we picked. And we basically had no option to trade up in the 2nd or 3rd unless we want to give up next year's picks, which always cost a premium.

I would love to give gute some truth serum and get his honest thoughts on the draft. I could be wrong, but this absolutely felt like a draft where the board didnt fall in their favor and they made panic adjustments. It sounds like they did love Love all the time, so maybe he was always the pick. But given the trade up and the timing of the trade up, it felt like we thought one of reagor, Jefferson and aiyuk were going to fall but it felt like we panicked as soon as aiyuk went and moved up for Love.

Same with some of the other spots. Maybe we were always targeting Dillon and deguara, but those kind of felt like panic picks too.

Half those teams are not better than Green Bay. just because they got better according to peoples opinion on players who never took an NFL snap. You can continue to sit here and act like this was the worst draft for next year and only improve the future or can wait and see how the players actually do.
    https://pbs.twimg.com/media/EWiYeQoX...name=4096x4096

you are in the minority by a lot my friend... and yes maybe it turns out well but again we didnt fill any of our actual needs and half those teams not being better???? do you honestly think we were as good as our record indicated last year?

again take a look boys because its embarrassing. Dont worry the entire world just hates us it seems and in all actuality our draft was good lol
    Last edited by More-Than-Most; 04-26-2020 at 07:36 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by More-Than-Most View Post

again take a look boys because its embarrassing. Dont worry the entire world just hates us it seems and in all actuality our draft was good lol
    The sad part is we have had some really good graded drafts in the past that have turned into absolutely nothing so draft grades really mean nothing

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by crewfan13 View Post
    But it's not even the person in the 4th round, it's what trading that pick handcuffed them into not being able to move. Everyone hypothesized that wr's we liked kept going off the board right before we picked. And we basically had no option to trade up in the 2nd or 3rd unless we want to give up next year's picks, which always cost a premium.

I would love to give gute some truth serum and get his honest thoughts on the draft. I could be wrong, but this absolutely felt like a draft where the board didnt fall in their favor and they made panic adjustments. It sounds like they did love Love all the time, so maybe he was always the pick. But given the trade up and the timing of the trade up, it felt like we thought one of reagor, Jefferson and aiyuk were going to fall but it felt like we panicked as soon as aiyuk went and moved up for Love.

Same with some of the other spots. Maybe we were always targeting Dillon and deguara, but those kind of felt like panic picks too.
    No 4th definitely prevented them from grabbing a WR in the 2nd which I imagine they really wanted to do.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I never thought wed have a worse draft than the 2015 class but this one might unseat it...

its not that this draft cant work out... this could be our best draft ever nobody will know for a few years... my problem with this draft is the waste... we reached several times when we could have traded back or stayed in the same position and picked who we picked lol... on top of this we did not fill our biggest holes. These are my issues

Quote Originally Posted by More-Than-Most View Post
    its not that this draft cant work out... this could be our best draft ever nobody will know for a few years... my problem with this draft is the waste... we reached several times when we could have traded back or stayed in the same position and picked who we picked lol... on top of this we did not fill our biggest holes. These are my issues
    the only thing I have to say bout this is last years draft I had the same feeling about the Savage and Jenkins picks. I felt they could have stayed put or traded back and still got their guys. So far it looks like they hit with both of them. That is the only hope I have for this years class.

I don't want to pretend Lance zierlien is some genius, but nfl.com is a super easy round projection reference point. He had savage as a 1/2 last year and Jenkins as a 2. Savage was mostly a 2 in places, but I do recall some late helium where he had 1sr round buzz. Jenkins isn't super easy to pin down an exact estimate, but he was pretty much a day 2 guy in most other places outside of nfl.com's 2nd round projection.

So those guys may have been reaches to an extent, but compared to public opinion, they seem like they were maybe taken a half round early at most.

Compare that to Dillon and deguara in particular. Nfl.com had Dillon as a 3/4. Tiny Pauline had him as a day 3. Dan bruglar had him as a 4/5. In Matt millers final 7 round mock Dillon was a 4th rounder. Deguara was a 6th on nfl.com. Bruglar had him at player number 222, which is a 7th. Miller's final 7 rounder had him as an early 6th.

Im not saying those guys have any real clue. It's possible the league was much higher on both that the casual public was. But both guys at least appear like they should have been available on our next pick.

And that's where the frustration comes from the outside. Hopefully (and I think they do) the packers have better Intel than we do and their analysis was better than the network broadcasters, but it's still rough as a fan. It really feels like, even if we don't swap positions, we could have taken Willie gay or Logan Wilson (or even Chinn might be a hybrid LB type) in the 2nd, dillon in the 3rd and deguara in the 5th and basically swapped Martin for gay or Wilson. Obviously that's probably not the case, but it feels like that was possible given their grades and it's frustrating.

So not only did we give up a pick while spending our first on a guy who won't help for awhile, it doesn't feel like we got great value with the rest of the draft either. So that's part of the reason why it sucks even though I don't neccesarily have an issue with any individual player, except maybe Martin might suck.

Part of my issue with they way they drafted, and I could be way off base here, but it seems like they selected players they thought fit what they wanted to do even if it meant passing up on better players and to me I think that is ****ing stupid.

With no public workouts its hard to say of the analyst had it right this year too though.

I do agree the players took are mostly all system players too. I think we're going to see more shifting on the scheme this year. I don't know how many true reaches we had though its a hard year for us on the outside to say because there were few conversations on the outside. It's possible they went with guys they knew fit the scheme even if it burned them PR wise early. But if you have a scheme guy likely we will see those guys like Dillon and Deguara contribute earlier than most think.

Quote Originally Posted by crewfan13 View Post
    So not only did we give up a pick while spending our first on a guy who won't help for awhile, it doesn't feel like we got great value with the rest of the draft either. So that's part of the reason why it sucks even though I don't neccesarily have an issue with any individual player, except maybe Martin might suck.
    Martin value will be how we use him. Most scouts I've seen say he would benefit from not being bounced around. Worst case with him he is an instant impact on ST which means one of two things. I see two roles for him potentially.

Where he likely can give us the most value is play the traditional ILB and package Burks or him into the Raven Greene role, and also he play ST. Or B he's a strick ST guy who will allow them to push Ty Summers to the next level in development. Martin needs a consistent role. It's hard to see where his strengths are as much as Minnesota move him around. So I agree Martin perhaps was the riskiest pick. The issue I'd have with him being a strict ST is I would have used the 6th-7th to add ST guys, but Martin could very well see a heavy ST role and be groomed as well. So I think the first is what they have in mind, but if all goes well Martin won't see much of the field because it would mean Kirksey's healthy and Burks is serviceable.

Page 17 of 18 FirstFirst ... 715161718 LastLast