Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Braves GM might have hinted towards possible collusion in FA

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/...agency-process

Horrible slip up if true. There's no reason why teams should be acting in a collaborative effort to undermine free agency.

El. Oh. El.

I don't see anything wrong with this statement. This is a team sizing up what they want to do, and calling other teams saying "x" guys are on the trade block, are you interested? The other team responds back saying we are planning to do this, and "y" guys are on the block.

I highly doubt that teams are saying "I'm going all in on Gerrit Cole." But instead saying "we're looking for FA starting pitchers, and not looking to trade right now." Or, "we;re interested in your cost controlled outfielder, and have an excess of infield prospects for you to pick from." Standard trade negotiations. Nothing more.

Quote Originally Posted by ThomasTomasz View Post
    El. Oh. El.

I don't see anything wrong with this statement. This is a team sizing up what they want to do, and calling other teams saying "x" guys are on the trade block, are you interested? The other team responds back saying we are planning to do this, and "y" guys are on the block.

I highly doubt that teams are saying "I'm going all in on Gerrit Cole." But instead saying "we're looking for FA starting pitchers, and not looking to trade right now." Or, "we;re interested in your cost controlled outfielder, and have an excess of infield prospects for you to pick from." Standard trade negotiations. Nothing more.
    Here's the thing though. Its strictly prohibited in the CBA for ML executives to be talking to other teams about free agents. If I'm the players, I would be very displeased knowing there are market factors being shared in determining what they should be paying players in FA.
    Last edited by metswon69; 11-06-2019 at 09:59 PM.

Yawn
    Smart Person List: BRAVE KID, Beldugo, flea, Jeffy25

Braves GM might have hinted towards possible collusion in FA

Quote Originally Posted by metswon69 View Post
    Here's the thing though. Its strictly prohibited in the CBA for ML executives to be talking to other teams about free agents. If I'm the players, I would be very displeased knowing there are market factors being shared in determining what they should be paying players in FA.
    pretty clear from the get-go there was no discussion of “who and how much.” TT’s explanation is on target and AA’s followup provides clarity. TC’s complaint is grandstanding by the MLBPA.

Anthopoulos has issued a statement (via the Braves, on Twitter), saying: “In advance of the General Managers meetings, I called around to Clubs to explore the possibility of potential off-season trades. At no time during any of these calls was there discussion of individual free agents or the Braves’ intentions with respect to the free agent market. To the extent I indicated otherwise during my media availability on Monday, I misspoke and

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Dugmet; 11-07-2019 at 08:02 AM.
    “It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, at least fails while daring greatly.” -- Teddy Roosevelt

Quote Originally Posted by Dugmet View Post
    pretty clear from the get-go there was no discussion of “who and how much.” TT’s explanation is on target and AA’s followup provides clarity. TC’s complaint is grandstanding by the MLBPA.

Anthopoulos has issued a statement (via the Braves, on Twitter), saying: “In advance of the General Managers meetings, I called around to Clubs to explore the possibility of potential off-season trades. At no time during any of these calls was there discussion of individual free agents or the Braves’ intentions with respect to the free agent market. To the extent I indicated otherwise during my media availability on Monday, I misspoke and

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    That's what you got from it but if AA felt a need to retract or walk it back, obviously he realized he slipped up somewhere and that its very easy to draw those conclusions. The fact is ML GMs shouldn't be talking to executives from other teams about players in FA. Its a slippery slope and if they are dumb enough to make those comments publicly, its easy to conclude that there is more going on there.

Best GM in the league.
    No doubt he knows exactly what other teams are thinking.

MLBPA is already anticipating a soft FA market for the non elite guys. A bit paranoid also.

He probably called each team to see if there were going to active in the FA market. If not, he told them that they are open to trades.

Good work on his part.

Quote Originally Posted by thawv View Post
    MLBPA is already anticipating a soft FA market for the non elite guys. A bit paranoid also.

He probably called each team to see if there were going to active in the FA market. If not, he told them that they are open to trades.

Good work on his part.
    Totally agree..........What, you cant ask if your "more interested in FA route or trade route" ....."Union" is reaching here!!!!

But players can "recruit" other players during the season....Didn't here the "union" say **** about that!!!

Quote Originally Posted by thawv View Post

Good work on his part.
    Exactly my point. Just standard conversations that all teams have at some point.

If there was collusion AA wouldn't come out and state it in a public news conference lmao. I assume he was mostly calling around to see if anyone wanted Juilo and other guys we have before FA gets going.

Quote Originally Posted by ThomasTomasz View Post
    Exactly my point. Just standard conversations that all teams have at some point.
    And if the players think teams aren't having these conversations, they're idiots. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out where each teams holes are. If you have a strength at a spot that lines up with a hole on another team, youd be a fool not to have a conversation with that team about their plans.