Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Chargers heading to London?

Owner denies the rumor.

Would it work?

#DingerSZN
    #AllenWatch
    End of Season Stats
    .542AVG/.562OBP/.889SLG/1.451OPS/21RBIs/3Dingers(1 grand slam)
    Selected to All-Conference Team
    Selected First Team All-District Team
    Selected First Team All-Region Team

There's something wrong when a visiting east coast team has a larger crowd in your stadium than you do. I don't know if people just don't travel from San Diego, all LA fans follow the Rams if they follow anyone, or what the deal is.

That said, I think it's ridiculous to put a team in London. It would make FAR more sense for the league to rethink the NFL Europe idea and create a minor league system over there. 32 teams here seems perfect, but taking one away from its current fanbase just isn't right....it wasn't right to have done it to St Louis just like it wasn't right to have done it to LA years ago.
    gotta love 'referential' treatment

They need a home of their own. Not in London, but clearly not in LA either.

Send the Chargers to St Louis lol

That makes the AFCW too far apart. I doubt a London team will ever be feasible, but it'll need to be in an east coast division.

CAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAM!

They should have moved the Raiders to LA, and the Chargers to Las Vegas.

Quote Originally Posted by manbearchef View Post
    That makes the AFCW too far apart.
    Shenzhen Chargers?

Quote Originally Posted by SiteWolf View Post
    There's something wrong when a visiting east coast team has a larger crowd in your stadium than you do. I don't know if people just don't travel from San Diego, all LA fans follow the Rams if they follow anyone, or what the deal is.

That said, I think it's ridiculous to put a team in London. It would make FAR more sense for the league to rethink the NFL Europe idea and create a minor league system over there. 32 teams here seems perfect, but taking one away from its current fanbase just isn't right....it wasn't right to have done it to St Louis just like it wasn't right to have done it to LA years ago.
    Well, Dan Snyder had the opposite happen to him, a West Coast team outshowed the Redskins on the East Coast earlier in the season.

Actually, I wouldn't mind if he took the team to London, as we would get an expansion franchise in short order. I would gladly exchange 10 years of no football/then expansion than the rest of Snyder's ownership tenure.

Quote Originally Posted by SiteWolf View Post
    There's something wrong when a visiting east coast team has a larger crowd in your stadium than you do.
    Nope.

First, most people in LA moved from elsewhere and have been fans of other NFL teams for decades.

Second, the Chargers have had no time to develop a fanbase.

Third, kids who are 8 to 12 years old right now in LA "discovering" football are the future fanbase for the Chargers. Check back in 15 years.
    Dak: 12,999 @ 66.7%, 7.6 per att, 79 TD, 32 INT
    Wentz: 11,801 @ 63.4%, 7.0 per att, 83 TD, 32 INT

"Hater" is a term used by weak minded people in the face of legitimate criticism.
    -Scott van Pelt

Quote Originally Posted by manbearchef View Post
    That makes the AFCW too far apart. I doubt a London team will ever be feasible, but it'll need to be in an east coast division.
    The plan attached to this fake rumor was:

Dolphins to AFC South
    Texans to AFC West
    UK Chargers to AFC East

"Hater" is a term used by weak minded people in the face of legitimate criticism.
    -Scott van Pelt

The best solution I heard in response to this fake rumor was that the NFL should add 4 expansion teams in the UK and/or Europe, so they have an entire division. Then most of their games will be against each other, and a US team can go over there for a month and play 4 games, then come back and have their bye week.

At that point it seems like NFL Europe should just come back with their own league, but I don't think Europe can support 4 teams anyway.

The other big problem is the extra income tax you'd have to pay over there. Players would make very little comparatively.

-Scott van Pelt

Quote Originally Posted by Bullseyed View Post
    The best solution I heard in response to this fake rumor was that the NFL should add 4 expansion teams in the UK and/or Europe, so they have an entire division. Then most of their games will be against each other, and a US team can go over there for a month and play 4 games, then come back and have their bye week.

At that point it seems like NFL Europe should just come back with their own league, but I don't think Europe can support 4 teams anyway.

The other big problem is the extra income tax you'd have to pay over there. Players would make very little comparatively.
    Not to mention I'm pretty sure there would be significantly more taxes for the UK players than say someone playing for a Florida team.

CAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAM!

Why would NFL teams play 4 games over there? They only play two division games on the road typically.

The Chargers are not wanted in LA, even if a move to London isn't the right one, they need to move elsewhere. No SD fans are going up there to watch them, they hate the Chargers for leaving, but LA wanted the Rams. I remember an LA sportswriter even wrote an article with the headline "Dear Chargers, LA does not want you". And they're playing in a stadium so small, it wouldn't even qualify as a Power 5 stadium and they're about to be renters to the LA Rams' stadium. What a mess.

One of the worst decisions on relocation I've seen in quite some time.

Nope.

First, most people in LA moved from elsewhere and have been fans of other NFL teams for decades.

Second, the Chargers have had no time to develop a fanbase.

Third, kids who are 8 to 12 years old right now in LA "discovering" football are the future fanbase for the Chargers. Check back in 15 years.
    The Chargers have been a franchise since 1961 and started in LA.....they've had over half a century to develop a fanbase. You're telling me all their fans prior to moving to LA just vanished?

Many MANY fans living in LA remained Rams fans...they were fans before the move to St Louis, and remained fans while they were in St Louis. You can say most of them weren't born then, but a lot of people become fans of the teams their dads followed. I

t would be more than a little illogical to think more Pittsburgh fans moved to LA than there are fans of a team that's been in the geographical area over 55 years.
    gotta love 'referential' treatment

The Chargers need to move to an untapped market dying for a sports franchise. Plenty of options stateside.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast