Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Quote Originally Posted by SiteWolf View Post
    Did they? Maybe it was a bit bigger than needed, given the market at the time....but it appeared a good signing otherwise, especially with his old coach Flip in house. And now people are assuming it's a bad signing based on the fact he's not looked good on a team that's not looked good all year....and a team that had gotten used to an offense transitioned to Moustache's strengths.

So I don't know that I'd call it a bad signing as much as bad execution by the organization. And none of that even takes into consideration the fact that maybe they brought him back too soon from his injury.
    Ok fine I shouldnít speak for others. I knew it was a bad signing from the start. The contract was too big and too long. Foles has not been a good starter in this league. He is the best of the best when it comes to backups because he is wildly inconsistent. So Iím not basing that sentiment on what heís done since coming back from his injury alone (though that doesnít help) but rather on his entire career.

Quote Originally Posted by Mamba42 View Post
    Ok fine I shouldnít speak for others. I knew it was a bad signing from the start. The contract was too big and too long. Foles has not been a good starter in this league. He is the best of the best when it comes to backups because he is wildly inconsistent. So Iím not basing that sentiment on what heís done since coming back from his injury alone (though that doesnít help) but rather on his entire career.
    Saying he wasnít good as a starter is a fallacy. He was bad with Fischer, thatís it.

Did they? Maybe it was a bit bigger than needed, given the market at the time....but it appeared a good signing otherwise, especially with his old coach Flip in house. And now people are assuming it's a bad signing based on the fact he's not looked good on a team that's not looked good all year....and a team that had gotten used to an offense transitioned to Moustache's strengths.

So I don't know that I'd call it a bad signing as much as bad execution by the organization. And none of that even takes into consideration the fact that maybe they brought him back too soon from his injury.
    This so much. It was quality because they NEEDED a better QB. But the contract and that much guaranteed over the life of the contract made it a bad contract, not a bad signing. And there are plenty of examples of that across the NFL.

Quote Originally Posted by BDawk4Prez View Post
    Saying he wasnít good as a starter is a fallacy. He was bad with Fischer, thatís it.
    Aside from the magical year with Chip Kelly and his playoff run in 2017, he was exceedingly mediocre as a starting QB for the Eagles. With the Rams he was simply a bad starting QB and he has been that with the Jags so far too, though the injury could explain some of that. The biggest problem with him as a start is not that he can't play really well (he can), it's that he doesn't do it consistently. He's very much like Ryan Fitzpatrick (but a less fun version lol).

2017: Against Giants has an awesome game 237 yards, 4 touchdowns and no interceptions. The next week he goes against Oakland and is bad throwing for 163 yards 1 TD and 1 INT and 1 fumble and only 50% completion. Against Dallas he only plays the first half but he is really bad throwing for only 39 yards and an interception and a fumble on 34% completion. When the playoffs started he was BDN.

2018: Starts the season with Wentz injured. First game against Atlanta he is bad. He does alright against TB the next week with good yardage but on nearly 50 pass attempts. Wentz returns but then gets injured again and Foles finishes the year as the starter. Week 15 he has an average outing throwing for 270 yards and an interception but has 70% completion. No bad. Then he turns on BDN mode again and finishes weeks 16 and 17 with good games. Then he goes into the playoffs and LDN shows up again. Inconsistent.

Even in the small sample over those two years you see a wildly inconsistent player. Looking back on his career, that pretty much holds. He was amazing in 2013 with Chip Kelly. In 2014 he starts out the first three weeks amazingly and then falls apart until he gets injured or benched (I can't remember) in week 9. He goes to the Rams and is flat out bad. Fisher doesn't help, but Foles certainly did not play well even with a dominant run game behind Gurley that year. He threw 7 TDs and 10 INTs that year completing on 56% of his passes.

I know that you love Foles, you should. He won you a Super Bowl. But the fact is that he is really a very good backup QB and a below-average starting QB because of his inconsistency.

I agree that it wasn't a bad signing.

I believe that the Jags are giving Minshew more play time in the hopes of flipping him for a draft pick, not because of Foles.
    Dak: 15,778 @ 65.8%, 7.6 per att, 97+21 TD, 36 INT+31 FMB, 97.0 Rate
    Wentz: 14,191 @ 63.8%, 6.9 per att, 97+3 TD, 35 INT+48 FMB, 92.7 Rate

I'll leave PSD if Foles isn't the starter in Jax (or elsewhere) next year.
    "Hater" is a term used by weak minded people in the face of legitimate criticism.
    -Scott van Pelt

This guy gets it

Quote Originally Posted by Bullseyed View Post
    I agree that it wasn't a bad signing.

I believe that the Jags are giving Minshew more play time in the hopes of flipping him for a draft pick, not because of Foles.
    They're playing Minshew to decide whether they want to draft a QB or not.

Quote Originally Posted by warfelg View Post
    This so much. It was quality because they NEEDED a better QB. But the contract and that much guaranteed over the life of the contract made it a bad contract, not a bad signing. And there are plenty of examples of that across the NFL.
    I mean it was a bad signing... The contract is what makes it a bad signing. Sure you can go and sign Foles for a possible upgrade, but giving him THAT contract is ridiculous.

Quote Originally Posted by mgjohnson7851 View Post
    They're playing Minshew to decide whether they want to draft a QB or not.
    Probably part of it, but without looking at Foles's contract, I feel like they'd be better off building around Foles and Fournette. Draft OL. Trade back for multiple mid-round firsts if they can.
    Dak: 15,778 @ 65.8%, 7.6 per att, 97+21 TD, 36 INT+31 FMB, 97.0 Rate
    Wentz: 14,191 @ 63.8%, 6.9 per att, 97+3 TD, 35 INT+48 FMB, 92.7 Rate

"Hater" is a term used by weak minded people in the face of legitimate criticism.
    -Scott van Pelt

#DingerSZN
    #AllenWatch
    End of Season Stats
    .542AVG/.562OBP/.889SLG/1.451OPS/21RBIs/3Dingers(1 grand slam)
    Selected to All-Conference Team
    Selected First Team All-District Team
    Selected First Team All-Region Team
    Verbal Commitment to State Fair Community College

Aside from the magical year with Chip Kelly and his playoff run in 2017, he was exceedingly mediocre as a starting QB for the Eagles. With the Rams he was simply a bad starting QB and he has been that with the Jags so far too, though the injury could explain some of that. The biggest problem with him as a start is not that he can't play really well (he can), it's that he doesn't do it consistently. He's very much like Ryan Fitzpatrick (but a less fun version lol).

2017: Against Giants has an awesome game 237 yards, 4 touchdowns and no interceptions. The next week he goes against Oakland and is bad throwing for 163 yards 1 TD and 1 INT and 1 fumble and only 50% completion. Against Dallas he only plays the first half but he is really bad throwing for only 39 yards and an interception and a fumble on 34% completion. When the playoffs started he was BDN.

2018: Starts the season with Wentz injured. First game against Atlanta he is bad. He does alright against TB the next week with good yardage but on nearly 50 pass attempts. Wentz returns but then gets injured again and Foles finishes the year as the starter. Week 15 he has an average outing throwing for 270 yards and an interception but has 70% completion. No bad. Then he turns on BDN mode again and finishes weeks 16 and 17 with good games. Then he goes into the playoffs and LDN shows up again. Inconsistent.

Even in the small sample over those two years you see a wildly inconsistent player. Looking back on his career, that pretty much holds. He was amazing in 2013 with Chip Kelly. In 2014 he starts out the first three weeks amazingly and then falls apart until he gets injured or benched (I can't remember) in week 9. He goes to the Rams and is flat out bad. Fisher doesn't help, but Foles certainly did not play well even with a dominant run game behind Gurley that year. He threw 7 TDs and 10 INTs that year completing on 56% of his passes.

I know that you love Foles, you should. He won you a Super Bowl. But the fact is that he is really a very good backup QB and a below-average starting QB because of his inconsistency.
    Very well written.

Andy Dalton, Cam Newton, Marcus Mariota, Jameis Winston, Philip Rivers, and Ryan Fitzpatrick are just some of the QBs who've been starters who may be looking for a new starting job next year. Plus a few teams will fill their starting role with someone they just drafted or will be drafting this spring...........there aren't necessarily going to be a lot of options out there for all of them to find a seat when the music stops.

lmao tho, just googled for starting QBs and ran into this link.........note the Cardinals' starter (if it's not changed by the time you see this)- https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...ootball_League
    gotta love 'referential' treatment

Andy Dalton, Cam Newton, Marcus Mariota, Jameis Winston, Philip Rivers, and Ryan Fitzpatrick are just some of the QBs who've been starters who may be looking for a new starting job next year. Plus a few teams will fill their starting role with someone they just drafted or will be drafting this spring...........there aren't necessarily going to be a lot of options out there for all of them to find a seat when the music stops.

lmao tho, just googled for starting QBs and ran into this link.........note the Cardinals' starter (if it's not changed by the time you see this)- https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...ootball_League
    Iíd rather her play center.

Iíd rather her play center.
    a whole new meaning to long snapper

gotta love 'referential' treatment

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123