Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

View Poll Results: Who deserves to win MVP?

Voters
13. You may not vote on this poll
  • Alex Bregman

5 38.46%
  • Marcus Semien

1 7.69%
  • Mike Trout

6 46.15%
  • Cody Bellinger

4 30.77%
  • Anthony Rendon

1 7.69%
  • Christian Yelich

6 46.15%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Kenny Powders View Post
    ****. I never realized how good of a year Marcus Semien had
    Not to mention his defensive game did a 180. If I was voting, he would have my vote, as would Yelich.

As it stands, I think Trout wins again- too many other players for Bregman to say he was most valuable on the Astros- but I think Semien does better than expected.

Quote Originally Posted by Rush View Post
    I tweaked the poll question a bit. Changed it to, "Who deserves to win MVP?

If you want me to change your vote just let me know.
    Yeah, change me from Trout to Bregman....whenever.

But I think Trout ends up winning.

I think that if the award was for the best player, instead of the most valuable player, Trout would/should win every year.

With value, there has to be winning. But, Trout is clearly the best player year in and year out. Being on a team that doesn't win, he's just not the most valuable player year in and year out.

For a guy to win the award on a losing team, he would have to have a season that is unmatched by any other player that season. If there's other great seasons on a winning team, one of them will likely get the award.

I'm going with,
    Bregman
    Trout
    Simien

Cody
    Rendon
    Yelli

I 100% disagree with the "with value, there has to be winning" statement. It's not Trout's fault the Angels aren't winning. Having said that, I have no issue with Bregman winning AL MVP.

"there's no scraps in my scrapbook"

Quote Originally Posted by spliff(TONE) View Post
    I 100% disagree with the "with value, there has to be winning" statement. It's not Trout's fault the Angels aren't winning. Having said that, I have no issue with Bregman winning AL MVP.
    No it's not his fault. But like I said, the award isn't for the best player, or he would win it every year. It's for the most valuable player.

I believe that winning goes with value when it comes to this particular award. The Cy Young on the other is for the best pitcher, regardless of his teams record.

Mike Trout is valuable af regardless of whether he's on the worst team or the best team. You seem to equate high value with having a top notch supporting cast which doesn't make a whole lot of sense and is completely out of the player's control.

Quote Originally Posted by thawv View Post
    No it's not his fault. But like I said, the award isn't for the best player, or he would win it every year. It's for the most valuable player.

I believe that winning goes with value when it comes to this particular award. The Cy Young on the other is for the best pitcher, regardless of his teams record.
    How much more valuable was Alex Bregman to the Astros then without him?

If he had an 8 win season, we could remove Breman from the Astros and replace him with a replacement level player and they are still easily in the playoffs and still win their division by 2 games.

How valuable is he?

If you take Trout off the Angels, and he had an 8 win season, they are a 64 win team instead of a 72 win team.

If that is the argument, then the MVP almost has to come from the Rays, who had the most narrow victory in the AL to make the playoffs, of 3 games over the Indians.

Without Charlie Morton, the Rays likely don't make the playoffs, and instead the Indians do. That would be more valuable than anything Alex Bregman did on a great team.

If anything, it's probably harder to post such a great season on such a bad team.

Quote Originally Posted by spliff(TONE) View Post
    Mike Trout is valuable af regardless of whether he's on the worst team or the best team. You seem to equate high value with having a top notch supporting cast which doesn't make a whole lot of sense and is completely out of the player's control.
    Well it's also an individual award, not a team award. Nothing says the most valuable player needs to come from a good team or a playoff team.

That said, it does say we can interpret that value how they see fit (the voters).

Yes, I am aware of all that.

Quote Originally Posted by thawv View Post
    I think that if the award was for the best player, instead of the most valuable player, Trout would/should win every year.

With value, there has to be winning. But, Trout is clearly the best player year in and year out. Being on a team that doesn't win, he's just not the most valuable player year in and year out.

For a guy to win the award on a losing team, he would have to have a season that is unmatched by any other player that season. If there's other great seasons on a winning team, one of them will likely get the award.

I'm going with,
    Bregman
    Trout
    Simien

Cody
    Rendon
    Yelli
    I think the term is League MVP, not team MVP. One can make an argument that if you use advanced analytics to normalize across all variables (one of which is playing on a ****** team) Trout is hands-down the best player across this full spectrum of metrics hence the title "LEAGUE MVP"

Quote Originally Posted by More-Than-Most View Post
    trout about to be robbed again lol.
    I can't tell you how many times Pujols and Piazza got robbed in their prime.

Future Hall of Shamers:
    (1) B.A.L.C.O. Barroids (2) Mark McJuicer (3) Jose Chem-seco (4) Rafael Palmeiroids (5) Ken Chem-initi (6) Jason Gi-andro (7) Ryan Fraud (8) Muscle Melk (9) Woman-Ram (10) Shammy Sosa (11) Roger Clear-mens (12) A-Roid (13) Ryan HGHoward

Last edited by spliff(TONE); 11-13-2019 at 04:16 AM.

Last edited by spliff(TONE); 11-13-2019 at 04:15 AM.

Last edited by spliff(TONE); 11-13-2019 at 04:17 AM.

^ I think you are in the wrong thread

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast