Like us on Facebook


Follow us on Twitter





Page 15 of 20 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 ... LastLast
Results 211 to 225 of 290
  1. #211
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    49,486
    They need an offensive line. They need receivers that have a catch radius greater than 12.

    Until these are fixed we will never know how good Darnold can be. Draft offense early and often.


    "You don't know how to drink. Your whole generation, you drink for the wrong reasons. My generation, we drink because it's good, because it feels better than unbuttoning your collar, because we deserve it. We drink because it's what men do."

  2. #212
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Amherst, MA
    Posts
    5,841
    Quote Originally Posted by Claymation View Post
    They need an offensive line. They need receivers that have a catch radius greater than 12.

    Until these are fixed we will never know how good Darnold can be. Draft offense early and often.
    Don't disagree with any of those needs, but that doesn't mean that coaching doesn't matter. It's funny, because I am seemingly having this same argument from the player acquisition perspective in another thread with a different poster. My point in both is that it is not an either/or proposition. Both matter and both can/should be addressed.

  3. #213
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    49,486
    Quote Originally Posted by wiley6 View Post
    Don't disagree with any of those needs, but that doesn't mean that coaching doesn't matter. It's funny, because I am seemingly having this same argument from the player acquisition perspective in another thread with a different poster. My point in both is that it is not an either/or proposition. Both matter and both can/should be addressed.
    Coaching does matter. Right now the offense is pretty bad, worse than last year, and yet Darnold improved. The offense is worse and yet they won 7 games. The Jets were 7-6 in games that Darnold started and that is with one of the worst OL in Football and the shittiest receiving corps in football.

    With the way this draft is shaping up, the Jets should make a huge leap offensively.


    "You don't know how to drink. Your whole generation, you drink for the wrong reasons. My generation, we drink because it's good, because it feels better than unbuttoning your collar, because we deserve it. We drink because it's what men do."

  4. #214
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    In your Mind
    Posts
    8,688
    This team won 7 games in spite of their offensive coaching and playcalling, not because of it.

  5. #215
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    4,720
    Quote Originally Posted by Claymation View Post
    They need an offensive line. They need receivers that have a catch radius greater than 12.

    Until these are fixed we will never know how good Darnold can be. Draft offense early and often.
    Fire Gase, Save the Season

  6. #216
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    49,486

    Official Fire Gase thread-CJ says he'll be back

    Quote Originally Posted by Larry M View Post
    Fire Gase, Save the Season
    Lol
    Nice try.

    Fix the line, save the season.


    "You don't know how to drink. Your whole generation, you drink for the wrong reasons. My generation, we drink because it's good, because it feels better than unbuttoning your collar, because we deserve it. We drink because it's what men do."

  7. #217
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Somewhere within the transmutation of Yin and Yang
    Posts
    32,929
    Quote Originally Posted by MrX27 View Post
    This team won 7 games in spite of their offensive coaching and playcalling, not because of it.
    My fear and likely reality is exactly what Wiley6 mentioned. Good coaching elevates mediocre players but good players elevate a mediocre coach.

    We will get better players. The team will probably be better. They will make the coach look good enough to keep around for a couple more years.


    The excuse for Gase this year was injuries and talent. I get it. Both of those things have impact.


    1- As many have mentioned, is the Line as bad as it looked or was it that plays were not called to put them into the best positions to succeed or that the schemes didn't fit the players and they weren't coached up enough?

    2-The defense suffered the same fate as the offense and lost as many, if not more key players yet Williams managed to have a very good D. Did we just happen to have guys more talented than we realized? Or did he just do a great job putting guys into positions at which they succeed?

    We had a cupcake schedule this season. We played the NFC East. 3 of our wins came from there. The only loss was the Eagles.
    Next year, we play -
    the NFC West-San Fran, Seattle, Arizona, LA. My guess is 1-3 against them
    The AFC West KC, Denver, LA, Oak my guess is 2-2
    We have the Colts and Browns. I will be generous and say we split. 1-1
    Let's say we split with our division. 3-3
    That makes us...7-9

    So if we end up with the same record next year, the excuse for Gase will be the "Tough schedule"
    Or will the excuse be, reality. The fact that he will be coaching against a bunch of guys who are significantly better coaches than he is.

    I am also terrified regarding his concept of "His type of player". Is Adams? Is Robbie? Is Mosley? Is Jenkins? We know Bell is not.

    His impact on this draft and FA will be significant. I agree that the HC should have impact on the players the GM brings in but when the HC has not shown to have good judgement, it sucks.

    I hope Joe really calls the shots.



    The world is coming to an end and I don't even care. As long as I can have my limo and my orange hair"

  8. #218
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    In your Mind
    Posts
    8,688
    Quote Originally Posted by Larry M View Post
    Fire Gase, Save the Season
    Actually Gase doesn't have to be out, but we definitely should be looking into offensive coordinators at the very least.

    New offensive coordinator, Save the season.

  9. #219
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    In your Mind
    Posts
    8,688
    Quote Originally Posted by Kinkotheclown View Post
    My fear and likely reality is exactly what Wiley6 mentioned. Good coaching elevates mediocre players but good players elevate a mediocre coach.

    We will get better players. The team will probably be better. They will make the coach look good enough to keep around for a couple more years.


    The excuse for Gase this year was injuries and talent. I get it. Both of those things have impact.


    1- As many have mentioned, is the Line as bad as it looked or was it that plays were not called to put them into the best positions to succeed or that the schemes didn't fit the players and they weren't coached up enough?

    2-The defense suffered the same fate as the offense and lost as many, if not more key players yet Williams managed to have a very good D. Did we just happen to have guys more talented than we realized? Or did he just do a great job putting guys into positions at which they succeed?

    We had a cupcake schedule this season. We played the NFC East. 3 of our wins came from there. The only loss was the Eagles.
    Next year, we play -
    the NFC West-San Fran, Seattle, Arizona, LA. My guess is 1-3 against them
    The AFC West KC, Denver, LA, Oak my guess is 2-2
    We have the Colts and Browns. I will be generous and say we split. 1-1
    Let's say we split with our division. 3-3
    That makes us...7-9

    So if we end up with the same record next year, the excuse for Gase will be the "Tough schedule"
    Or will the excuse be, reality. The fact that he will be coaching against a bunch of guys who are significantly better coaches than he is.

    I am also terrified regarding his concept of "His type of player". Is Adams? Is Robbie? Is Mosley? Is Jenkins? We know Bell is not.

    His impact on this draft and FA will be significant. I agree that the HC should have impact on the players the GM brings in but when the HC has not shown to have good judgement, it sucks.

    I hope Joe really calls the shots.
    I'll go 1 step beyond and say he has to call the shots for this franchise to rise.

    Does anyone know whether or not Adam Gase actually calls the plays on offense or is it the coordinator Loggains?

    Maybe it doesn't matter, we bring in a new OC and they install their offense.
    Gase can still be coach.
    Last edited by MrX27; 01-05-2020 at 12:25 PM.

  10. #220
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    4,720
    Quote Originally Posted by Claymation View Post
    Lol
    Nice try.

    Fix the line, save the season.

  11. #221
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    4,720
    Quote Originally Posted by MrX27 View Post
    I'll go 1 step beyond and say he has to call the shots for this franchise to rise.

    Does anyone know whether or not Adam Gase actually calls the plays on offense or is it the coordinator Loggains?

    Maybe it doesn't matter, we bring in a new OC and they install their offense.
    Gase can still be coach.
    Itll never happen, but Id like Schumur for OC

  12. #222
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    In your Mind
    Posts
    8,688
    Quote Originally Posted by Larry M View Post
    Itll never happen, but Id like Schumur for OC
    Well, his next position in the NFL will probably be OC again, so don't rule it out, especially if Chris Johnson decides he'd rather win over profit alone.

  13. #223
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Myrtle Beach, South Carolina
    Posts
    16,077
    Quote Originally Posted by Kinkotheclown View Post
    My fear and likely reality is exactly what Wiley6 mentioned. Good coaching elevates mediocre players but good players elevate a mediocre coach.

    We will get better players. The team will probably be better. They will make the coach look good enough to keep around for a couple more years.


    The excuse for Gase this year was injuries and talent. I get it. Both of those things have impact.


    1- As many have mentioned, is the Line as bad as it looked or was it that plays were not called to put them into the best positions to succeed or that the schemes didn't fit the players and they weren't coached up enough?

    2-The defense suffered the same fate as the offense and lost as many, if not more key players yet Williams managed to have a very good D. Did we just happen to have guys more talented than we realized? Or did he just do a great job putting guys into positions at which they succeed?

    We had a cupcake schedule this season. We played the NFC East. 3 of our wins came from there. The only loss was the Eagles.
    Next year, we play -
    the NFC West-San Fran, Seattle, Arizona, LA. My guess is 1-3 against them
    The AFC West KC, Denver, LA, Oak my guess is 2-2
    We have the Colts and Browns. I will be generous and say we split. 1-1
    Let's say we split with our division. 3-3
    That makes us...7-9

    So if we end up with the same record next year, the excuse for Gase will be the "Tough schedule"
    Or will the excuse be, reality. The fact that he will be coaching against a bunch of guys who are significantly better coaches than he is.

    I am also terrified regarding his concept of "His type of player". Is Adams? Is Robbie? Is Mosley? Is Jenkins? We know Bell is not.

    His impact on this draft and FA will be significant. I agree that the HC should have impact on the players the GM brings in but when the HC has not shown to have good judgement, it sucks.

    I hope Joe really calls the shots.
    And that is a main reason Adam Gase loses a lot of credibility on the offensive side of the football, Gregg Williams. The defense was very respectable with the likes of Neville Hewitt, Tarrell Basham, James Burgess, Arthur Maulet, Bless Austin, Maurice Canady, Kyle Phillips, Folorunso Fatukasi. Not exactly household names and the defense very much held it together.

    I am, like you kinko, terrified about "his type of player." It is obvious he doesn't want Bell and doesn't want to use him properly.
    Eichel Tower

  14. #224
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    In your Mind
    Posts
    8,688
    Quote Originally Posted by ccugrad1 View Post
    And that is a main reason Adam Gase loses a lot of credibility on the offensive side of the football, Gregg Williams. The defense was very respectable with the likes of Neville Hewitt, Tarrell Basham, James Burgess, Arthur Maulet, Bless Austin, Maurice Canady, Kyle Phillips, Folorunso Fatukasi. Not exactly household names and the defense very much held it together.

    I am, like you kinko, terrified about "his type of player." It is obvious he doesn't want Bell and doesn't want to use him properly.
    I'm sure it's pretty much consensus that Bell is a very good RB.

    He can run strong, catch very very well, and he can handle a workload.

    How is he not a RB you would want?

    What type of RB do you want (Gase)?

    We have a thoroughbred at RB that wants to be here, ran hard all year, and can be utilized in many more ways than he currently is but that's not good enough for the QB whisperer.

    What type of RB fits whatever he wants?

  15. #225
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Myrtle Beach, South Carolina
    Posts
    16,077
    Quote Originally Posted by MrX27 View Post
    I'm sure it's pretty much consensus that Bell is a very good RB.

    He can run strong, catch very very well, and he can handle a workload.

    How is he not a RB you would want?

    What type of RB do you want (Gase)?

    We have a thoroughbred at RB that wants to be here, ran hard all year, and can be utilized in many more ways than he currently is but that's not good enough for the QB whisperer.

    What type of RB fits whatever he wants?
    I wish I could explain it from Gase's perspective MrX. I agree 100% with everything you have said! Bell is a weapon that can only help Sam Darnold; why he doesn't want something like that on his team is beyond me?
    Eichel Tower

Page 15 of 20 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •