Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    [QUOTE=Dugmet] Bumgarner might be more realistic for Mets. Maybe.

Dugmet -

That is a great point! Actually, I think Madison Bumgarner might be the best get out there. He's a perfect example of a guy who is 30 and I think he could be entering a stretch where he could put up great numbers. He knows how to pitch and is a fantastic post season pitcher. He also has not thrown a ton of innings over the last 3 or 4 years - check his numbers. I think he could be a GREAT get for someone. I DO NOT want to see him go to Atlanta. That could haunt us for years to come. We need to think about picking him up and the price would be reasonable compared to Cole or Strasberg.

I would go for Strasburg but would not give him a long contract. 3 years with a 4th option. No 7 year or anything like that.

Much respect to Strasberg for what he did yesterday.

Simple but poignant gesture.

Quote Originally Posted by Dugmet View Post
    Bumgarner might be more realistic for Mets. Maybe.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Wade Miley is a realistic option for the Mets. Not someone making 20-30 million dollars a year. I dont expect their name to be in the ring for any of the premiere SP. The Wilpons are cheap.

Quote Originally Posted by metswon69 View Post
    Wade Miley is a realistic option for the Mets. Not someone making 20-30 million dollars a year. I dont expect their name to be in the ring for any of the premiere SP. The Wilpons are cheap.
    That's not really true. Ownership is paying big money (Cespedes $29m, deGrom $25.5m, and $20m adjusted for Cano) for 3 players in 2020. They'll likely recoup some of Cespedes money again, nonetheless they did make a commitment to pay all three players. The issue nowadays for them is really length of contract isn't it -- and we know that's not a smart way to spend money in baseball. I can't call them "cheap" for that.

Look at the top 6 earners for the Yankees in 2019. They won more games with the rest of the roster (Judge, Gleyber, German, Urshela, LeMahieu, etc) than they did with Stanton, Tanaka, Ellsbury, Tulo, Chapman and Happ.
    It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, at least fails while daring greatly. -- Teddy Roosevelt

That's not really true. Ownership is paying big money (Cespedes $29m, deGrom $25.5m, and $20m adjusted for Cano) for 3 players in 2020. They'll likely recoup some of Cespedes money again, nonetheless they did make a commitment to pay all three players. The issue nowadays for them is really length of contract isn't it -- and we know that's not a smart way to spend money in baseball. I can't call them "cheap" for that.

Look at the top 6 earners for the Yankees in 2019. They won more games with the rest of the roster (Judge, Gleyber, German, Urshela, LeMahieu, etc) than they did with Stanton, Tanaka, Ellsbury, Tulo, Chapman and Happ.
    Yeah it is. Meaningful September baseball is their rhetoric when it should be about winning championships. Length of contract is okay with a 36 year old Cano but its not for a 29 year old Gerrit Cole? Who will even be under contract 6 or 7 years from now?

The Yankees have that luxury given how well they develop players. The Mets don't and need to find other ways to acquire talent like adding salary in trade or FA. Not to mention the Yankees payroll still out duels the Mets by a significant amount even with all those young players. When the Mets become the Astros or Yankees in terms of player development, they can take a different approach. Until then, if they want to maximize a chance at this window, they have to take on some risk.

Yeah it is. Meaningful September baseball is their rhetoric when it should be about winning championships. Length of contract is okay with a 36 year old Cano but its not for a 29 year old Gerrit Cole? Who will even be under contract 6 or 7 years from now?

The Yankees have that luxury given how well they develop players. The Mets don't and need to find other ways to acquire talent like adding salary in trade or FA. Not to mention the Yankees payroll still out duels the Mets by a significant amount even with all those young players. When the Mets become the Astros or Yankees in terms of player development, they can take a different approach. Until then, if they want to maximize a chance at this window, they have to take on some risk.
    Noooooo...ooo. The better model is to develop players. Adding expensive players without developing a young supply chain is fruitless. Mets have been doing well in the player development arena lately. They may have made a mistake with taking on Cano's salary, but they did assume some risk didn't they? Cash flow will determine what they do in 2020. There is a point at which assuming risk is not good practice. I don't know how close they are to that threshold. Bottom line is that "cheap" is not a good description. "Cautious" and "safe"? Perhaps.
    It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, at least fails while daring greatly. -- Teddy Roosevelt

Noooooo...ooo. The better model is to develop players. Adding expensive players without developing a young supply chain is fruitless. Mets have been doing well in the player development arena lately. They may have made a mistake with taking on Cano's salary, but they did assume some risk didn't they? Cash flow will determine what they do in 2020. There is a point at which assuming risk is not good practice. I don't know how close they are to that threshold. Bottom line is that "cheap" is not a good description. "Cautious" and "safe"? Perhaps.
    Long term, yes it is. That said, its not helped by Brodie trading away a legit CF prospectsfor an aging 2nd baseman and RP. Ultimately, I'm all for being one of the best teams in terms of player development. Right now though, they have a window with this group of guys to win and the window is closing, specifically with their SP.

In this case, taking on risk is the right move because they are built to win now. "Shortsighted", "halfwitted", etc sound more like it. They won't though. It will be a ho hum offseason.

Long term, yes it is. That said, its not helped by Brodie trading away a legit CF prospectsfor an aging 2nd baseman and RP. Ultimately, I'm all for being one of the best teams in terms of player development. Right now though, they have a window with this group of guys to win and the window is closing, specifically with their SP.

In this case, taking on risk is the right move because they are built to win now. "Shortsighted", "halfwitted", etc sound more like it. They won't though. It will be a ho hum offseason.
    Maybe. But BVW doesn't seem to be the type to sit still. What if they pull off a deal that turns out as well as 3 minor leaguers for JD Davis. Is that ho hum because they did not spend big money? Or is it the kind of deal we really want an effective GM to make?
    Last edited by Dugmet; 11-05-2019 at 05:04 PM.

Maybe. But BVW doesn't seem to be the type to sit still. What if they pull off a deal that turns out as well as 3 minor leaguers for JD Davis. Is that ho hum because they did not spend big money? Or is it the kind of deal we really want an effective GM to make?
    The odds are slim they find another JD Davis. The odds are a lot more likely given this GM's resume so far that the Mets trade more prospects for established major leaguers. I don't think anyone wants them to do that. Not unless its for a bonafide superstar.

The best way to improve this team right now is FA. From their language, it doesn't sound like that is an avenue they are going to explore with any significant prowess. Maybe I'm wrong but money is always an issue with this team and that comes from up top. If the Wilpons and Brodie want to win, they're going to have to take on risk and not just a couple of RP making 7-9 million dollars a season.

The odds are slim they find another JD Davis. The odds are a lot more likely given this GM's resume so far that the Mets trade more prospects for established major leaguers. I don't think anyone wants them to do that. Not unless its for a bonafide superstar.

The best way to improve this team right now is FA. From their language, it doesn't sound like that is an avenue they are going to explore with any significant prowess. Maybe I'm wrong but money is always an issue with this team and that comes from up top. If the Wilpons and Brodie want to win, they're going to have to take on risk and not just a couple of RP making 7-9 million dollars a season.
    Im wondering if we can get the Red Sox to deal Rafael Devers and David Price for JD Davis and something else small. Im not sure if Prices contract is bad enough to trade Devers for JD though...but it would free up Boston to get rid of a bad contract, enable them to resign Betts and pickup a nice bat in JD

Cano was a risk, given that he came off of PED use in '18.

I checked Diaz's game logs from 2018. Unless there was some inkling that something was wrong in his pitching, his stats do NOT even reflect it. In all of September, 9.1 IP, 2 ER, 16 SO, 6 H, 2 BB

So I could see where BVW thought he was getting a good closer. Nobody could predict that Diaz would perform this horribly.

Resign Wheeler or stay younger

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12