Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Stephen Strasburg opts out of contract, becomes free agent

Stephen Strasburg will opt out of the final four years, $100 million left on his contract and become a free agent. Huge implications for the free agent market and for the Nationals as they work to defend their World Series title.

Additionally, the Nationals have picked up options on Adam Eaton and Sean Doolittle, while declining options for Ryan Zimmerman, Yan Gomes and Matt Adams.

World Series MVP Stephen Strasburg is opting out of his contract with the Washington Nationals, sources familiar with the situation tell ESPN's Jeff Passan.

Strasburg had four years and $100 million left on a deal he signed in 2016. He faced a Saturday deadline to opt out.

The 31-year-old enters free agency fresh off a regular season in which he posted a career-high 18 wins and led the National League with 209 innings pitched -- no small measure for a pitcher who has battled injury throughout his career.

Read More: https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/...deal-nationals

That $100 million includes $45 million for just 2023 alone. How greedy can you get?

Future Hall of Shamers:
    (1) B.A.L.C.O. Barroids (2) Mark McJuicer (3) Jose Chem-seco (4) Rafael Palmeiroids (5) Ken Chem-initi (6) Jason Gi-andro (7) Ryan Fraud (8) Muscle Melk (9) Woman-Ram (10) Shammy Sosa (11) Roger Clear-mens (12) A-Roid (13) Ryan HGHoward

Quote Originally Posted by dodgerdave View Post
    That $100 million includes $45 million for just 2023 alone. How greedy can you get?
    $30 million of that was deferred money, which he will still receive from the Nationals, just spread out differently with the opt-out.

Tell that to the owners who make exponentially more than that and then want public funding for new stadiums. Strasburg has every right to command more money.

Quote Originally Posted by metswon69 View Post
    Tell that to the owners who make exponentially more than that and then want public funding for new stadiums. Strasburg has every right to command more money.
    $30 million is deferred money that the Nats still need to pay him regardless, but the payouts change

He can command anything he wants, but I think someone would be crazy to offer him anything more than that for a player going to be 31 and has a past history of being injured quite a bit.

Scott Boras is a cancer to this sport. And we, the fans, pay the price with higher ticket prices.

Future Hall of Shamers:
    (1) B.A.L.C.O. Barroids (2) Mark McJuicer (3) Jose Chem-seco (4) Rafael Palmeiroids (5) Ken Chem-initi (6) Jason Gi-andro (7) Ryan Fraud (8) Muscle Melk (9) Woman-Ram (10) Shammy Sosa (11) Roger Clear-mens (12) A-Roid (13) Ryan HGHoward

Quote Originally Posted by ThomasTomasz View Post
    $30 million is deferred money that the Nats still need to pay him regardless, but the payouts change
    I've heard the Nats have been deferring deals for a while now. All my point is that no one should complain about greed. There are market factors set by the ridiculous amount of revenue baseball teams make and players have just as much right to that money as the owners do.

Scott Boras is a cancer to this sport. And we, the fans, pay the price with higher ticket prices.
    Ticket prices are not dictated by player salaries.

https://mlb.nbcsports.com/2019/03/22...ticket-prices/

https://baseballs28thout.wordpress.c...-ticket-price/

https://books.google.com/books?id=_V...prices&f=false
    Last edited by metswon69; 11-02-2019 at 11:57 PM.

I've heard the Nats have been deferring deals for a while now. All my point is that no one should complain about greed. There are market factors set by the ridiculous amount of revenue baseball teams make and players have just as much right to that money as the owners do.
    I do agree with that 100%. I am really hoping that Dan Snyder can't get the land for a new one for the Redskins, as he already has the land the current one is built on. Thankfully no one is playing ball with him right now, and he's eliminated his leverage by running the franchise into the ground. He may have to build one out of pocket.

Quote Originally Posted by thefeckcampaign View Post
    He can command anything he wants, but I think someone would be crazy to offer him anything more than that for a player going to be 31 and has a past history of being injured quite a bit.
    I don't think his AAV jumps much, but this likely gets him another two years on his contract which would make the opt-out a smart decision for him.

There are also rumors he may want to go back to the west coast. And if so, he's got nothing else to really accomplish other than personal accolades. He just won the World Series and took home the MVP award.

greedy? try smart... He will get paid esp after the MVP and he should damn well do this... nobody should just give back money in an uncapped sport ever.

what about this?

Nats wonít pick up Ryan Zimmermanís $18M option but word is they are interested in bringing him back (on a lower aav of course)

I mean he is the face of their franchise and has given everything and they cant pickup 18 mill for him????? yet players are suppose to take less? gtfo
    Last edited by More-Than-Most; 11-03-2019 at 02:58 AM.

nobody should ever complain about greed when if he gets hurt coming in from the bull pen etc the nats would never offer him another deal...now he would still get paid but nowhere close to what he will get in free agency

Scott Boras is a cancer in so many other ways. He's a huge reason for huge divide between small-market and large-market teams.

Future Hall of Shamers:

Quote Originally Posted by More-Than-Most View Post
    greedy? try smart... He will get paid esp after the MVP and he should damn well do this... nobody should just give back money in an uncapped sport ever.

what about this?

Nats wonít pick up Ryan Zimmermanís $18M option but word is they are interested in bringing him back (on a lower aav of course)

I mean he is the face of their franchise and has given everything and they cant pickup 18 mill for him????? yet players are suppose to take less? gtfo
    Unless you get involved in Corporate America, you can't even spend $100 million in an entire lifetime. Players who have been in the league for 5+ years also entitled to a pension after they retire if they somehow spend it all. You're set for life one way or another.

I'd honestly love to see a player get screwed for his greed after exercising an opt-out clause. But the stupid owners always take the bait by shelling out a larger contract.
    Last edited by dodgerdave; 11-03-2019 at 03:26 AM.

Future Hall of Shamers:

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast