Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 33 of 36 FirstFirst ... 233132333435 ... LastLast
    When did these press conferences turn into an academy awards acceptance speech?

Quote Originally Posted by fanofclendennon View Post
    I was thinking the same exact thing...

I like what he's saying, but thanking his mother and friends, ect was a little strange...

Also something that stuck out was when he said being in the organization for so long he's learned the Mets way to win...

That's likely going to get some jokes from other fans for sure... He's learned the Mets way to win? Which has been how not to win....

It would be nice if Rojas were given the autonomy to run the dugout as it should be run. It would be nice but it isn't very likely. Much of his job will be to play the players his bosses tell him he should play. Why? Because they are his bosses and they want him to run the team the way they want him to run it. They're in charge, not him.

And to beat that dead horse one more time, BVW didn't trade for a $20 million a year second baseman to allow his rookie manager to put him on the bench. That's just the way it is.

Now, does that mean the $20 million man has to start 150 games? No. 140? Maybe not even. How many then? That's a number for all those brilliant analytics guys to decide. And when they do, they'll tell Luis R when it is time for Cano to take a seat. And that's when Luis R will say, "Yes, sir!"

Because that's the way baseball is played in the 21st century.
    Still believe this is only opinion. You don't know that BVW or anyone higher up is the one setting the lineups and telling the manager who to play...

That's just what you think is happening... It's not fact.

Quote Originally Posted by bklynny67 View Post
    Still believe this is only opinion. You don't know that BVW or anyone higher up is the one setting the lineups and telling the manager who to play...

I mean it’s a legit point though. Watching what went on last year with Cano batting third constantly despite being dogsh:t most of the year while McNeil had the day off I doubt it was Mickey’s decision lol

Fair enough my good man. I'll leave it to others far better informed than I to settle the issue one way or the other.

I was thinking the same exact thing...

I like what he's saying, but thanking his mother and friends, ect was a little strange...

Also something that stuck out was when he said being in the organization for so long he's learned the Mets way to win...

That's likely going to get some jokes from other fans for sure... He's learned the Mets way to win? Which has been how not to win....
    And what of the media? No one wanted to ask him any player questions? Questions about pending managerial decisions? Instead I get Steve Gelbs asking him what it felt like when he was made manager. WTF?

Quote Originally Posted by JCrusher View Post
    I mean it’s a legit point though. Watching what went on last year with Cano batting third constantly despite being dogsh:t most of the year while McNeil had the day off I doubt it was Mickey’s decision lol
    Everyone thought Mickey was an awful manager though, so I don't know why it'd be much of a surprise that he continued thinking Cano would turn it around. It makes no sense whatsoever for upper management to force Mickey into batting him 3rd or 4th when he sucked all year...

If you wanna say management said he has to play because he's expensive, fine... But where he hits in the lineup makes no difference except make the team worse if he's hitting in a premium spot and not producing. There's nothing to gain by BVW saying he has to bat 4th. If he demanded he be in the lineup, what difference does it make where he hits?

I have little doubt it was Mickey's choice to hit him high in the lineup.

Everyone thought Mickey was an awful manager though, so I don't know why it'd be much of a surprise that he continued thinking Cano would turn it around. It makes no sense whatsoever for upper management to force Mickey into batting him 3rd or 4th when he sucked all year...

If you wanna say management said he has to play because he's expensive, fine... But where he hits in the lineup makes no difference except make the team worse if he's hitting in a premium spot and not producing. There's nothing to gain by BVW saying he has to bat 4th. If he demanded he be in the lineup, what difference does it make where he hits?

I have little doubt it was Mickey's choice to hit him high in the lineup.
    Right?

There were reports all year long about how Brodie was a control freak. There was one notable article in which Terry Collins talked about the difference of his day -- getting into the office, going through the reports and making out a lineup, versus Mickey's day -- getting into the office and having the day's lineup made out in advance for him waiting on his desk for him.

And some of the post-game interviews seemed to bear out these reports.

No, I'm not making this up.
    "Ain't got the call no more. Got a lot of sinful idears – but they seem kinda sensible...."

Quote Originally Posted by JoeGamer81 View Post
    I'm not suggesting Beltran lied. Like I said, it's possible the Mets didn't know or even want to know the extent of his cheating. But I only think it's possible because the Mets are stupid.

I do, however, think it's naive to suggest that the thing making him so attractive to the Yankees was anything other than his connection to the Houston system. He was too involved; depending on who you ask, the whole thing was his idea, or he at least was instrumental to its execution. That's why he was hired in the Bronx.
    I didn't say you said Beltran lied. I'm saying a lot of people have accused him of lying but can't say for certainty it came up during the interview process. Its more than likely it didn't.

I'm sure that was a nice bonus. The Yankees and Mets hired him for different positions though. I could see his role with the Yankees being much more about what he could provide in terms of cheating. The Mets hired him to be their manager which includes a lot of responsibilities, not just using the best system to steal signs.
    Last edited by metswon69; 01-24-2020 at 06:43 PM.

And what of the media? No one wanted to ask him any player questions? Questions about pending managerial decisions? Instead I get Steve Gelbs asking him what it felt like when he was made manager. WTF?
    They'll plenty of time for those types of questions, but yea that Steve Gelbs one is so typical.. all he ever asks is how people feel. "How's it feel getting that big hit?, 'Howd it make you feel pitching a strong game tonight?'.. Ha. He's getting an early start to this season I guess.

I like what I saw in Luis today. Seems like a good dude. No idea how I'll like him as a manager, but this whole thing is kind of intriguing to me. Hope he does well.

Quote Originally Posted by Mannyfnz View Post
    I like what I saw in Luis today. Seems like a good dude. No idea how I'll like him as a manager, but this whole thing is kind of intriguing to me. Hope he does well.
    I started liking him as read up on him. He has a nice story. But today's press conference gave me nothing either way.

Typical.
    "Ain't got the call no more. Got a lot of sinful idears – but they seem kinda sensible...."

Managers are a bit overrated nowadays. It comes down to talent. As long as Rojas doesnt make dumb decisions it could work. Obviously we all know Brodie is gonna have major input on lineups and stuff like that which is a big reason Girardi isn’t here...well that and money lol

I cracked up when BVW said that Rojas always tells the truth. Dig at Beltran?

I thought his acceptance speech was good, he remembered everyone, including the little people. But I missed him posing on the red carpet? What was the critique of what he was wearing? Were there any rumors to who he's dating? Was it Jennifer Aniston he was seen with?

These are important things to know. Someone needs to follow up with the answers to these important questions.

Page 33 of 36 FirstFirst ... 233132333435 ... LastLast