Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 32 of 36 FirstFirst ... 223031323334 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by metswon69 View Post
    Its easy to suggest the Mets just pleaded ignorance and just never asked any relevant questions either. There was no way they could have known Manfred was specifically going to name Beltran in his report. If they could have, they presumably wouldn't have hired him in the first place. Its either they went in knowing that his tactics could have helped the team (and hired him for those reasons) or they figured what they didn't know, wouldn't hurt them. When Beltran was in the report by name that basically sunk him.
    They had no idea an investigation was even a possibility. The Rosenthal article hadn't been written yet, and nobody seemed to care when Beltran was pretty publicly accused of cheating last year by Cora and Bregman. Even if they did know, even if they did hire him specifically because of his "resume", they didn't have much reason to be concerned. Nobody could have seen the story blowing up like this.

Quote Originally Posted by mookiewilson View Post
    Well hindsight is always 20/20. However, because its the Wilpons and BVW, i'm going to say that one of the two scenarios took place. 1.) Nothing was said about the Astros and sign stealing or 2.) They brought it up, Beltran either lied or sidestepped it to the point of "I kinda heard about it going on but didn't realize to the level it was taking place at". If the latter, then it was not brought up anymore.

Remember, he wants the job, so he's going to spin it in a positive way to make himself look good.

And I truly believe the Yankees signed him to get info on how they really did it and how to guard against it. Which I can't blame them for.
    I agree with you about the Yankees, at least halfway. I think he also implemented a similar system in New York. The Yankees, who had been begging the league to look into it for at least a couple of years, probably figured "if you can't beat em, join em."

I can imagine the Mets being truly ignorant to it, or them being eager to implement it here. Either way seems plausible.

Quote Originally Posted by JoeGamer81 View Post
    They had no idea an investigation was even a possibility. The Rosenthal article hadn't been written yet, and nobody seemed to care when Beltran was pretty publicly accused of cheating last year by Cora and Bregman. Even if they did know, even if they did hire him specifically because of his "resume", they didn't have much reason to be concerned. Nobody could have seen the story blowing up like this.
    Well then its easy to assume the Mets never even asked him about any of this. People are quick to say that Beltran lied during the vetting/interview process but that seems unlikely if this was a non story. Even Brodie admitted as much when asked, saying it "was a Houston issue".

So yeah we can certainly make the case that he was hired because the Mets wanted an edge but its also a possibility, that he was hired for the same reasons why any manager is hired (because he is believed to be the best man for the job). This was a guy who apparently would have been the Yankees manager had Boone not been hired. Beltran was a respected, well liked, leader of men to many in baseball circles.

I'm not going to attach all of that well regard to the fact that he was cheating the best.

I have an idea, why dont pitchers and catchers use devices to give eachother signals, thus eliminating signs to steal. Boom, problem solved.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by FloridaMetFan View Post
    I have an idea, why dont pitchers and catchers use devices to give eachother signals, thus eliminating signs to steal. Boom, problem solved.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
    Give this man a Nobel Peace Prize. Geez. This man might be the single, smartest man to have ever commented on PSD. Sheer Genius. Brilliant.

I am in awe.

This man should be sitting in a Corporate Board room somewhere, commanding an 8 figure salary.

Geez.

Why are you wasting your time posting in here with a mind like that?
    "Ain't got the call no more. Got a lot of sinful idears – but they seem kinda sensible...."

He's absolutely right. The wrong people are wearing the devices. Geez.
    "Ain't got the call no more. Got a lot of sinful idears – but they seem kinda sensible...."

Quote Originally Posted by fanofclendennon View Post
    Give this man a Nobel Peace Prize. Geez. This man might be the single, smartest man to have ever commented on PSD. Sheer Genius. Brilliant.

I am in awe.

This man should be sitting in a Corporate Board room somewhere, commanding an 8 figure salary.

Geez.

Why are you wasting your time posting in here with a mind like that?
    He came up with a great idea.

Some would argue that the batter would catch on. You could circumvent that like they do with hand signals from the third base coach, just verbal.

Batter is funny looking = fastball
    Roger Clemens = hit the batter
    Umpire's a douche = changeup

https://www.mlb.com/news/luis-rojas-...s-mets-manager

1. Straightening out Edwin Díaz
    2. Figuring out the Yoenis Céspedes situation
    3. Settling on the back end of the rotation
    4. Getting the most out of Robinson Canó …
    5. Making a good impression on the media

I say for Diaz, make him earn the closers job. I'm not trying to be mean, but if you really want to set him straight, don't reward him for sucking. Make him work for it.

As for Cano, let him sit on the bench. Those benches have a habit of getting up and walking away. We need someone we can rely on to sit on it.

With Cespedes and the OF situation, I say go old school. You hit? You play. You don't hit? You sit.

Although i'm betting that if Cespedes does well, he'll be traded by the All Star Break or Trade Deadline.

Edited as forgot about this from the article. Heck no, he messed up that middle of the order last year especially with his mosey on to first base bs. Drop him down, put Bartolo Colon in the middle of the order. At least he ran faster to first base.

Rojas also needs Canó on the field. Despite his injury-plagued 2019, Canó enters spring as the Mets’ starting second baseman and a middle-of-the-order bat. The Mets will be a better team if Rojas can figure out how best to deploy Canó; at this point in his career, given his injury history, it’s probably not by starting him 150 times.
    Last edited by mookiewilson; 01-24-2020 at 11:18 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by metswon69 View Post
    Well then its easy to assume the Mets never even asked him about any of this. People are quick to say that Beltran lied during the vetting/interview process but that seems unlikely if this was a non story. Even Brodie admitted as much when asked, saying it "was a Houston issue".

So yeah we can certainly make the case that he was hired because the Mets wanted an edge but its also a possibility, that he was hired for the same reasons why any manager is hired (because he is believed to be the best man for the job). This was a guy who apparently would have been the Yankees manager had Boone not been hired. Beltran was a respected, well liked, leader of men to many in baseball circles.

I'm not going to attach all of that well regard to the fact that he was cheating the best.
    I'm not suggesting Beltran lied. Like I said, it's possible the Mets didn't know or even want to know the extent of his cheating. But I only think it's possible because the Mets are stupid.

I do, however, think it's naive to suggest that the thing making him so attractive to the Yankees was anything other than his connection to the Houston system. He was too involved; depending on who you ask, the whole thing was his idea, or he at least was instrumental to its execution. That's why he was hired in the Bronx.

Quote Originally Posted by JoeGamer81 View Post
    I'm not suggesting Beltran lied. Like I said, it's possible the Mets didn't know or even want to know the extent of his cheating. But I only think it's possible because the Mets are stupid.

I do, however, think it's naive to suggest that the thing making him so attractive to the Yankees was anything other than his connection to the Houston system. He was too involved; depending on who you ask, the whole thing was his idea, or he at least was instrumental to its execution. That's why he was hired in the Bronx.
    Keep your friends close, keep your enemies closer.

Quote Originally Posted by mookiewilson View Post
    https://www.mlb.com/news/luis-rojas-...s-mets-manager

1. Straightening out Edwin Díaz
    2. Figuring out the Yoenis Céspedes situation
    3. Settling on the back end of the rotation
    4. Getting the most out of Robinson Canó …
    5. Making a good impression on the media

I say for Diaz, make him earn the closers job. I'm not trying to be mean, but if you really want to set him straight, don't reward him for sucking. Make him work for it.

As for Cano, let him sit on the bench. Those benches have a habit of getting up and walking away. We need someone we can rely on to sit on it.

With Cespedes and the OF situation, I say go old school. You hit? You play. You don't hit? You sit.

Although i'm betting that if Cespedes does well, he'll be traded by the All Star Break or Trade Deadline.

Edited as forgot about this from the article. Heck no, he messed up that middle of the order last year especially with his mosey on to first base bs. Drop him down, put Bartolo Colon in the middle of the order. At least he ran faster to first base.

Rojas also needs Canó on the field. Despite his injury-plagued 2019, Canó enters spring as the Mets’ starting second baseman and a middle-of-the-order bat. The Mets will be a better team if Rojas can figure out how best to deploy Canó; at this point in his career, given his injury history, it’s probably not by starting him 150 times.
    It would be nice if Rojas were given the autonomy to run the dugout as it should be run. It would be nice but it isn't very likely. Much of his job will be to play the players his bosses tell him he should play. Why? Because they are his bosses and they want him to run the team the way they want him to run it. They're in charge, not him.

And to beat that dead horse one more time, BVW didn't trade for a $20 million a year second baseman to allow his rookie manager to put him on the bench. That's just the way it is.

Now, does that mean the $20 million man has to start 150 games? No. 140? Maybe not even. How many then? That's a number for all those brilliant analytics guys to decide. And when they do, they'll tell Luis R when it is time for Cano to take a seat. And that's when Luis R will say, "Yes, sir!"

Because that's the way baseball is played in the 21st century.

That is exactly the reason that I am going out to reach to the Mets and have FOC as the new quality control coach. He will be able to see things first hand and report back to this forum so we will finally know exactly what is going on with our team.

If someone can draft a pettition we can make this happen

Quote Originally Posted by Brooklyndave View Post
    That is exactly the reason that I am going out to reach to the Mets and have FOC as the new quality control coach. He will be able to see things first hand and report back to this forum so we will finally know exactly what is going on with our team.

If someone can draft a pettition we can make this happen
    Ok, now Quality Control Coach or QCC is a job I can handle, unlike the Managerial job. The first thing I'd do is appoint Brooklyndave as my Communications Officer. His job is to call me every Monday morning for a download and then relay all information to this forum.

Because, quite frankly, once they make me QCC, I don't think i can be bothered to continue posting in here anymore. I'll be too good for all of you. Except for maybe Clay. There's always an exception, a line to be drawn, somewhere.
    Last edited by fanofclendennon; 01-24-2020 at 01:55 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by fanofclendennon View Post
    Why do you always insist on pissing me off?
    It’s fun and it’s free.

Alou (aloo) means potato in Urdu.

The more you know.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    If Trump can become president with no political background then I don't understand why I need a resumé

Quote Originally Posted by Zmaster52 View Post
    It’s fun and it’s free.

Alou (aloo) means potato in Urdu.

The more you know.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I had to look it up. But i didn't write "Aloo" you Jackwagon

Page 32 of 36 FirstFirst ... 223031323334 ... LastLast