Like us on Facebook


Follow us on Twitter





Page 31 of 36 FirstFirst ... 212930313233 ... LastLast
Results 451 to 465 of 530
  1. #451
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Brooklyn
    Posts
    35,965
    Quote Originally Posted by Wrigheyes4MVP View Post
    I don't disagree, but I think Rojas is a better hire and a better fit. Not saying Beltran couldn't be good, but Rojas is more qualified and checks more boxes.

    If Rojas was the initial hire, I wouldn't have been upset.
    I wouldn't have either. I just disagreed with how the Mets handled this process. I think they could have gotten away with suspending Beltran and a month into the season, the story would have went by the wayside. It wouldn't have had the legs the media wanted it to but the Mets fell to the pressure.

  2. #452
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    60ft 6in away
    Posts
    13,254
    Quote Originally Posted by metswon69 View Post
    I wouldn't have either. I just disagreed with how the Mets handled this process. I think they could have gotten away with suspending Beltran and a month into the season, the story would have went by the wayside. It wouldn't have had the legs the media wanted it to but the Mets fell to the pressure.
    The story wasn't going away, and a month suspension is an insult to everyone. The only alternative would have been for Carlos to make a full confession and apology. But a full confession would have implicated other organizations, so there's no way he was going to do that, so this was the only option.

    I'm fine with the Rojas hire, because I know exactly nothing about him and therefore have no basis for judgment. There are no candidates available I was pining for, so whatever. Well, Perez sounded like a smart dude, but who knows if he has the ability to manage personalities.

  3. #453
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Brooklyn
    Posts
    35,965
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeGamer81 View Post
    The story wasn't going away, and a month suspension is an insult to everyone. The only alternative would have been for Carlos to make a full confession and apology. But a full confession would have implicated other organizations, so there's no way he was going to do that, so this was the only option.

    I'm fine with the Rojas hire, because I know exactly nothing about him and therefore have no basis for judgment. There are no candidates available I was pining for, so whatever. Well, Perez sounded like a smart dude, but who knows if he has the ability to manage personalities.
    A suspension would have been fine imo. I never mentioned length btw and the story would have certainly ran its course. The sports media cycle in NY is very fluid and old news becomes old news fairly quickly. I understand this would have come up again but this wasn't something the Mets couldn't weather. They chose not to. They succumbed to media pressure because you have owners who are very image conscious but don't know the definition of irony or hypocrisy.

    I'm good with the Rojas hire as well. He's definitely more qualified than Beltran is. He comes from a baseball lineage, has previous honors for being the best manager at different stops at the minor league level, has the respect of his peers and different players, etc. I'm not mad about Rojas. I just wish things would have worked out differently for Beltran.

  4. #454
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    60ft 6in away
    Posts
    13,254
    Quote Originally Posted by metswon69 View Post
    A suspension would have been fine imo. I never mentioned length btw and the story would have certainly ran its course. The sports media cycle in NY is very fluid and old news becomes old news fairly quickly. I understand this would have come up again but this wasn't something the Mets couldn't weather. They chose not to. They succumbed to media pressure because you have owners who are very image conscious but don't know the definition of irony or hypocrisy.

    I'm good with the Rojas hire as well. He's definitely more qualified than Beltran is. He comes from a baseball lineage, has previous honors for being the best manager at different stops at the minor league level, has the respect of his peers and different players, etc. I'm not mad about Rojas. I just wish things would have worked out differently for Beltran.
    It's not simply media pressure. The Astros and Red Sox also fired their managers. The bans weren't permanent; they could have kept them, but realized the stink of that scandal wasn't going to go away, and more things could come out later, so they decided to make the decision to cut ties. We may not have faced 24/7 questions about this, but it would never go away, and would taint everything we do. We'd also face questions about our own cheating, true nor not, because one of the game's most prolific cheaters was our manager.

    There was no other realistic option.

  5. #455
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    49,129
    Anthony DiComo@AnthonyDiComo

    For the "experience matters so much in a manager" crowd:

    Luis Rojas will actually become the second-youngest manager in MLB. He's about three weeks older than the youngest, Rocco Baldelli, who is the reigning American League Manager of the Year.


    "You don't know how to drink. Your whole generation, you drink for the wrong reasons. My generation, we drink because it's good, because it feels better than unbuttoning your collar, because we deserve it. We drink because it's what men do."

  6. #456
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    The Boogie Down
    Posts
    100,653

  7. #457
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Flushing, 10/16/69
    Posts
    1,677
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeGamer81 View Post
    It's not simply media pressure. The Astros and Red Sox also fired their managers. The bans weren't permanent; they could have kept them, but realized the stink of that scandal wasn't going to go away, and more things could come out later, so they decided to make the decision to cut ties. We may not have faced 24/7 questions about this, but it would never go away, and would taint everything we do. We'd also face questions about our own cheating, true nor not, because one of the game's most prolific cheaters was our manager.

    There was no other realistic option.
    The owners definitely could have handled the first interview process better and done a better job of doing due diligence around the league. But in their defense, we'll never know if Beltran lied to them in the process. They still should have done a better job investigating a guy whose name was absolutely floating around the scandal, but if I seemingly genuine guy lies to you during an interview, you have to cut ties.

  8. #458
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Flushing, 10/16/69
    Posts
    1,677
    Experience may become an issue but you can't discount his time spent in the minors. Plus, as quality control guy for the ML team, he was integral in distilling analytic revelations into language that resonates with every individual player on the roster. In this regard, his relationship with the players and familiarity with their on field and measured strengths and weaknesses means he can get up to speed faster and more thoroughly than anyone outside the organization, including Buck or Dusty, could have. My lone concern isn't in game, on field experience, it's how he transitions, relationship-wise, from a player-friendly coach to a 37-year old who has to lead and control guys who once considered him a buddy.

  9. #459
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    45,702
    That he's an Alou is good enough for me.
    "Ain't got the call no more. Got a lot of sinful idears – but they seem kinda sensible...."

  10. #460
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    60ft 6in away
    Posts
    13,254
    Quote Originally Posted by The Futurist View Post
    The owners definitely could have handled the first interview process better and done a better job of doing due diligence around the league. But in their defense, we'll never know if Beltran lied to them in the process. They still should have done a better job investigating a guy whose name was absolutely floating around the scandal, but if I seemingly genuine guy lies to you during an interview, you have to cut ties.
    I tend to think the Mets hired him specifically because he's such a renowned cheat. He largely got away with it with the Yanks, so the Mets were probably thinking, "Hey, let's do that here, too." The alternative is, as you say, the process was broken.

    Either way: LOLMets.

    Except now maybe they have the guy they should have hired in the first place.

  11. #461
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Brooklyn
    Posts
    35,965
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeGamer81 View Post
    I tend to think the Mets hired him specifically because he's such a renowned cheat. He largely got away with it with the Yanks, so the Mets were probably thinking, "Hey, let's do that here, too." The alternative is, as you say, the process was broken.

    Either way: LOLMets.

    Except now maybe they have the guy they should have hired in the first place.
    Its easy to suggest the Mets just pleaded ignorance and just never asked any relevant questions either. There was no way they could have known Manfred was specifically going to name Beltran in his report. If they could have, they presumably wouldn't have hired him in the first place. Its either they went in knowing that his tactics could have helped the team (and hired him for those reasons) or they figured what they didn't know, wouldn't hurt them. When Beltran was in the report by name that basically sunk him.

  12. #462
    Join Date
    Nov 2018
    Location
    Shea Stadium
    Posts
    671
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeGamer81 View Post
    I tend to think the Mets hired him specifically because he's such a renowned cheat. He largely got away with it with the Yanks, so the Mets were probably thinking, "Hey, let's do that here, too." The alternative is, as you say, the process was broken.

    Either way: LOLMets.

    Except now maybe they have the guy they should have hired in the first place.
    Well hindsight is always 20/20. However, because its the Wilpons and BVW, i'm going to say that one of the two scenarios took place. 1.) Nothing was said about the Astros and sign stealing or 2.) They brought it up, Beltran either lied or sidestepped it to the point of "I kinda heard about it going on but didn't realize to the level it was taking place at". If the latter, then it was not brought up anymore.

    Remember, he wants the job, so he's going to spin it in a positive way to make himself look good.

    And I truly believe the Yankees signed him to get info on how they really did it and how to guard against it. Which I can't blame them for.

  13. #463
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    The Boogie Down
    Posts
    100,653
    It’s already been reported that the nets did not bring that up because at the tine it was just rumors. Once Fiers came out and confirmed it Beltran was already the manager.

    Mets were afraid of new possible allegations in the future and having to deal with that on and on.

  14. #464
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Brooklyn New York
    Posts
    20,733
    Quote Originally Posted by fanofclendennon View Post
    That he's an Alou is good enough for me.
    What does him being a potato have to do with anything?


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    If Trump can become president with no political background then I don't understand why I need a resumé

  15. #465
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    45,702
    Quote Originally Posted by Zmaster52 View Post
    What does him being a potato have to do with anything?


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Why do you always insist on pissing me off?
    "Ain't got the call no more. Got a lot of sinful idears – but they seem kinda sensible...."

Page 31 of 36 FirstFirst ... 212930313233 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •