Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Ideas for improving team defense?

I'm feeling pretty good about our off season moves so far. There's a lot to be optimistic about going into next season. The lineup will be solid top to bottom. Same w the rotation. Betancis is a great pick up and I expect a bounce back year from Diaz.

Biggest concern heading into the season is that our defense that sucked last year isn't looking much better. Trying to be optimistic yet realistic I'm not sure where the Upgrades are coming from

1b- Alonso is a true pro. He will improve a bit more and surprised me last year but he's never gonna be better than league average

2b- no reason to believe Cano will be better with another year older

SS- I think we'll see second half Rosario so take away his horrible May/June and that's an improvement

3B- Squirrel/JD/Lowrie- each are a downgrade to Frazier in the field

C- Ramos can improve handling the staff but he is what he is defensively

LF- crowded mix and now add Cowboy Sex in the mix

CF- just because conforto and nimmo CAN play there doesn't make the CFers. If anyone thinks marisnick is anything more than Altherr or GMJ, well, I hope you're right but I don't see it.

We have trade chips on a major league level. We should at least be able to trade for a stud defensive back up catcher. But I don't see much room for moves and I see a lot of repetitive parts unless there's a big trade.

Any thoughts on improving what was a major issue last year?
    "I got a headache, a toothache and bad times too..." - Nina Simone

Quote Originally Posted by MetsKnicks View Post
    I'm feeling pretty good about our off season moves so far. There's a lot to be optimistic about going into next season. The lineup will be solid top to bottom. Same w the rotation. Betancis is a great pick up and I expect a bounce back year from Diaz.

Biggest concern heading into the season is that our defense that sucked last year isn't looking much better. Trying to be optimistic yet realistic I'm not sure where the Upgrades are coming from

1b- Alonso is a true pro. He will improve a bit more and surprised me last year but he's never gonna be better than league average

2b- no reason to believe Cano will be better with another year older

SS- I think we'll see second half Rosario so take away his horrible May/June and that's an improvement

3B- Squirrel/JD/Lowrie- each are a downgrade to Frazier in the field

C- Ramos can improve handling the staff but he is what he is defensively

LF- crowded mix and now add Cowboy Sex in the mix

CF- just because conforto and nimmo CAN play there doesn't make the CFers. If anyone thinks marisnick is anything more than Altherr or GMJ, well, I hope you're right but I don't see it.

We have trade chips on a major league level. We should at least be able to trade for a stud defensive back up catcher. But I don't see much room for moves and I see a lot of repetitive parts unless there's a big trade.

Any thoughts on improving what was a major issue last year?
    You think Frazier was better at third than McNeil? Were you not watching?

Quote Originally Posted by fanofclendennon View Post
    You think Frazier was better at third than McNeil? Were you not watching?
    You might be right on that one. McNeil was a solid 3drs on a relatively sss at 3rd.

His best value might be his zero drs over Cano's -6. But I don't see Cano moving this year.

You might be right on that one. McNeil was a solid 3drs on a relatively sss at 3rd.

His best value might be his zero drs over Cano's -6. But I don't see Cano moving this year.
    McNeil was amazing wherever he played. That might've been the biggest surprise last year. So assuming he's the startng third baseman, that's an automatic upgrade. I also think they're more than fine with Alonso at first. I like his range. I like his hands. He's everything I want from a right handed first baseman.

Cano obviously is a problem, a humam statue. Rosario seems to keep getting better at short. No idea what Cespedes is going to look like or if he'll even still be on the team. Davis gets the job done in left but neither Nimmo or Conforto are my ideas of good major league CFers. And of course, Ramos is a disaster behind the plate.

I dont see a heck of a lot of improvement going on.

LF, CF, 2nd base and catcher are going to be issues defensively. Its up to the Mets to get a solid backup catcher (Nido sucks) and let it be a meritocracy at 2nd base. If that means putting Lowrie or McNeil there because Cano sucks so be it.

As for LF, Davis is in the lineup for his bat but we know he's not a good defender. I think Nimmo can be a slightly below average CFer but we'll see.

They kind of are what they are. They're locked into most positions already.
    Last edited by metswon69; 12-28-2019 at 11:50 AM.

Machado at 3rd and McNeil at 2nd would sure up the infield

Quote Originally Posted by Larry M View Post
    Machado at 3rd and McNeil at 2nd would sure up the infield
    Are you thinking of going into comedy as a full time profession? Or is it strictly a hobby at this point?

Quote Originally Posted by metswon69 View Post
    They're locked into most positions already.
    Therein lies the problem.

Quote Originally Posted by fanofclendennon View Post
    Therein lies the problem.
    If they make a run at the division or WC, its going to be the offense that drives them. Luckily for them they have one of the better offensive teams in baseball (on paper). They need two things to happen for them this year. They need to stay healthy and they need their bullpen to be solid. If they do those things, they'll win 90+games.

Team defense should be a little better, but there isnít much that can be done at this point. The offense which was very good last year will be even better next year. No team is perfect, but the offense, rotation, and an improved bullpen should make us NL East favorites at this time currently constructed.

If the Braves canít resign or adequately replace Donaldson, they arenít better than the Mets. The Nationals without Rendon arenít better than the Mets. The Phillies improved a bit, but arenít better than the Mets either.

This is a big year for Amed Rosario.

Itís time for him to take that next step and be a consistently good starting SS over a full season.

We really could use average or slight above average (+5) defense from him. He seems to have the physical tools to be able to make it happen.

Ramos probably is what he is behind the plate. Although the Mets reportedly told him to work on his pitch framing this offseason. That would be a huge improvement since that was his biggest weakness.

No reason that Alonso shouldnít continue to improve defensively. He looked much better than advertised and his range/effort is pretty solid actually.

Cano still has his strong arm, but his range will only continue to get worse with age. McNeil looks great at 3B in a SSS as his arm is much better than advertised coming up as a 2nd baseman.

Iím hoping JD Davis can be below average in LF (-5) with more reps and an offseason of working on his speed, agility, and reads out there. His arm is great.

Nimmo and Marisnick is a solid CF combo defensively and should be average at worst overall. Conforto is also average in RF defensively.

Quote Originally Posted by YoungStuna View Post
    This is a big year for Amed Rosario.

Itís time for him to take that next step and be a consistently good starting SS over a full season.

We really could use average or slight above average (+5) defense from him. He seems to have the physical tools to be able to make it happen.

Ramos probably is what he is behind the plate. Although the Mets reportedly told him to work on his pitch framing this offseason. That would be a huge improvement since that was his biggest weakness.

No reason that Alonso shouldnít continue to improve defensively. He looked much better than advertised and his range/effort is pretty solid actually.

Cano still has his strong arm, but his range will only continue to get worse with age. McNeil looks great at 3B in a SSS as his arm is much better than advertised coming up as a 2nd baseman.

Iím hoping JD Davis can be below average in LF (-5) with more reps and an offseason of working on his speed, agility, and reads out there. His arm is great.

Nimmo and Marisnick is a solid CF combo defensively and should be average at worst overall. Conforto is also average in RF defensively.
    In your post above, I still don't see the Mets as ahead of the Phillies or Braves on paper in the NL East. But anyway we can agree to disagree on that one.

I expect Rosario to continue to improve as he has since he joined the big league club. I think this is his true breakout year from start to finish. The only thing that can stop him is mental mistakes on routine plays. Those seemed to be his nagging issue early on last year, but he played much better the second half. The offense has continued to improve rapidly.

Ramos is fine for this club, year two with the pitchers should help a little bit with familiarity.

Cano is a true question mark for me. I think he still has a bit left in the tank, but not enough to be a true impact 2B. I was more supportive of him going into last year but I just fear his age is hitting him hard now. I really would like to see a true split of reps at 2B between Cano & Lowrie......This keeps both players fresh and healthy, and when healthy they both can hit and play adequate defense. I truly believe if we went that route that we would end up with good production out of 2B. Cano would be pissed but oh well he's getting paid major money he'll get over it.

Davis had a good reputation for defense in the minors, but he wasn't good at any position last year defensively. We can hope year 2 will help him since he got some experience, but that is an issue. His bat is good enough to carry, but if Cespedes comes back playing like he did pre-injury (big if) then JD will probably be a bench bat. Hell of a bench bat, but he also could be a trade chip if we are making a run. Trust me I love JD and would like to keep him but if it plays out that way so be it.

Don't know much about Marcinik but sounds like he's a Lagares 2.0 pre injury so I'm fine with that. The biggest question mark for me going into the season (and why I was back and forth on wanting a Marte trade) is Nimmo healthy? I know he is healthy enough to play right now, but how much of an impact will the neck injury have? Does he miss significant time forcing Marcinik into a more full time role? Does his neck effect his overall play in the field even if he's not on the IL? I know we don't have the answers to that but it worries me.

Otherwise we need a back up catcher and another RP on a low cost or minor league deal and this team looks playoff ready.
    Just a Met's fan surrounded by Phillies fan's standing strong behind enemy lines

I think that Rosario taking a step forward is a safe bet. Making in season adjustments at a young age and then finding his groove is a big sign and he did that in the field and at the plate. But I donít want to go into next season hoping like we do every year. I think we have overlap with players who could be attractive to other teams and free up the log jam. I want a stud center fielder to bring the best out of our pitching. Davis, dom, cespedes at a reduced salary in a walk year all seem like assets. Matz could be an attractive chip and under team control for a few years, still leaving us w 5 starter, Peterson in the wings and Lugo being a #3 level talent If stretched out.

Point is we actually have assets. We should use them to pursue a lock down center fielder.
    "I got a headache, a toothache and bad times too..." - Nina Simone

I think that Rosario taking a step forward is a safe bet. Making in season adjustments at a young age and then finding his groove is a big sign and he did that in the field and at the plate. But I donít want to go into next season hoping like we do every year. I think we have overlap with players who could be attractive to other teams and free up the log jam. I want a stud center fielder to bring the best out of our pitching. Davis, dom, cespedes at a reduced salary in a walk year all seem like assets. Matz could be an attractive chip and under team control for a few years, still leaving us w 5 starter, Peterson in the wings and Lugo being a #3 level talent If stretched out.

Point is we actually have assets. We should use them to pursue a lock down center fielder.
    We have plenty of trade chips that could bring back a middle reliever, we just may not have found a match yet. I still see Dom as the most likely to go for a reliever. Davis or Nimmo may be used in a Marte deal which we all are mixed on. I personally just worry about Nimmo's neck and if he misses any time I don't want Marcinik getting a ton of time in center. We could shift Conforto to center and Cespedes out there but I'd prefer a true CF.
    Just a Met's fan surrounded by Phillies fan's standing strong behind enemy lines

Any suggestions who that CF might be?

Are they upgrades over Nimmo overall?

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast