Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 22 of 36 FirstFirst ... 12202122232432 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by ManningToTyree View Post
    We didnít interview baker or buck and now they are possibilities? I would love an explanation for that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Weíre less than a month away from pitchers and catchers reporting. I can see the appeal of having an experienced manager coming in and not being overwhelmed by the situation like a first-time manager might be with such limited time to prepare.

Quote Originally Posted by YoungStuna View Post
    Weíre less than a month away from pitchers and catchers reporting. I can see the appeal of having an experienced manager coming in and not being overwhelmed by the situation like a first-time manager might be with such limited time to prepare.
    Just hire rojas if thatís the case he has internal knowledge of the roster. I donít want a retread stop gap.

Just hire rojas if thatís the case he has internal knowledge of the roster. I donít want a retread stop gap.

I agree with hiring Rojas, but lets not act like heís a sure thing. I wouldnít call Dusty Baker a retread, although he would certainly be a stop-gap.

The three biggest question marks this season and the ones that could put us in contention are 3 Latin players, Familla, Betances and Diaz, all pitchers. So it would seem to me that we should have either a Latin pitching coach, which we don't have , or at least a Latin assistant pitching coach or a Latin manager.

Would have loved to have Pedro as a pitching coach

Quote Originally Posted by YoungStuna View Post
    I agree with hiring Rojas, but lets not act like heís a sure thing. I wouldnít call Dusty Baker a retread, although he would certainly be a stop-gap.
    I also agree with Rojas, he has 2 yrs experience as a manager in AA and he knows the players. He's also a guy who most people consider to have a good baseball mind and has a future. This looks like the most seemless move.

Let's not the Mets make the same mistake of hiring an unproven manager with no MLB managing experience. That didn't work with Calloway, and remember how everybody was saying how this would help the pitching because of Calloway's background.

Say what you will but I think at this late stage Mets should go with TC on an interim 1 year basis and revisit the manager position at the end of the season. Just to be clear, I'm not saying I didn't disagree with the way TC handled the club when he was the manager and, to tell you the truth, I was against his hiring way back when. But he knows most of the players, has been here before, and I do remember many of the players saying they liked playing for the Mets when TC was the manager. Usually that is a sign of a lax manager, aka Calloway, but don't think that was the case with TC. I have to admit TC has grown or learned to be comfortable with himself from the days when he managed the Angels, which was part of my evidence of why I did not want TC in the first place.

I think TC has and will be a good soldier and accept the coaching staff that is now in place. Heck he almost has no choice. But bringing in somebody new might not be that good in terms of them not having the opportunity to pick their own coaches, plus it would create some uncertainty. Should the Mets reach the WS, more power to TC and maybe the Mets might decide to retain him. But he is already on the payroll, so that could be a cheapo deal for the Mets.

If anything, we can at least look at TC as a fallback and seriously, there isn't much time to get things in place.

Quote Originally Posted by metswon69 View Post
    Dusty Baker is one of the more overrated managers in recent ML history. I don't mind Showalter but he's probably too strong of a personality and would want too much say for this team.

Honestly, I would hope they hire someone who isn't a retread.
    I agree with you, I'm just trying to explain why there's so much talk about proven managers versus unproven ones. And even if I agreed that we should have a proven man at the helm, I wouldn't want either of these guys. Well, certainly not Baker, anyway. Showalter is safe and boring, but I don't think he's necessarily a bad skipper.

Look I admit I want a manger with experience but I want Buck not Dusty. I just hope the Mets will give the manager freedom to make the lineups and stuff like that. Enough of this collaboration ******** lol...AKA you do what we tell you lol

He might be a retread (yes, he is 70) and a "stopgap", (managers dont hang around forever (except maybe Bochy) but who would care about that? 1 year, win a W.S. and be on his way? Who would *****? Players will respect his presence and his knowledge. Not to mention his knowledge about our rival the Nationals. Any extra insight already known is a plus and a way of "legally stealing", unlike the Astros and Red Sox. Honestly, I would no sooner re-hire Collins. Loved him and he deserves this chance, to have a much better team than he had 1st time around.

Quote Originally Posted by JoeGamer81 View Post
    I agree with you, I'm just trying to explain why there's so much talk about proven managers versus unproven ones. And even if I agreed that we should have a proven man at the helm, I wouldn't want either of these guys. Well, certainly not Baker, anyway. Showalter is safe and boring, but I don't think he's necessarily a bad skipper.
    What is your problem with Baker? Why is he overrated? He got virtually all of his teams ino the playoffs and he would give the team stability.

Quote Originally Posted by Brooklyndave View Post
    What is your problem with Baker? Why is he overrated? He got virtually all of his teams ino the playoffs and he would give the team stability.
    And heís never won a playoff series.

Having a manager is sort of meaningless during the regular season. Itís once you get to the playoffs where outmanaging your opponent really matters.
    If Trump can become president with no political background then I don't understand why I need a resumť

Quote Originally Posted by Zmaster52 View Post

Having a manager is sort of meaningless during the regular season. Itís once you get to the playoffs where outmanaging your opponent really matters.
    It's not meaningless. We make the playoffs last year with a competent manager.

Quote Originally Posted by Zmaster52 View Post

Yes he has.

He made it to the WS with the Giants in 2002.

I donít want him either, but he has won playoffs series before.

Quote Originally Posted by JCrusher View Post
    Look I admit I want a manger with experience but I want Buck not Dusty. I just hope the Mets will give the manager freedom to make the lineups and stuff like that. Enough of this collaboration ******** lol...AKA you do what we tell you lol
    There's a 0.00 chance they are hiring Buck or Baker, it's writers trying to be relevant now that the Beltran witchhunt is over and it's dead until Spring Training starts

Quote Originally Posted by Sick Of It All View Post
    Yes he has.

He made it to the WS with the Giants in 2002.

I donít want him either, but he has won playoffs series before.
    Sorry, hasnít won a playoff series in like 10 years of managing.

He lost with the Reds and the Nats. Winning in 2002 is completely meaningless to me.
    If Trump can become president with no political background then I don't understand why I need a resumť

Page 22 of 36 FirstFirst ... 12202122232432 ... LastLast