Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by ThomasTomasz View Post
    Sign someone for $3 million to improve the defense, and use the rest of the money to invest on bringing some of the team's infrastructure out of the stone age. For example, they just added a new position to all of the minor league affiliates called a development coach. You've got to pay their salary, benefits and other things. They are still in the process of overhauling the analytics department, as well as the international scouting department. That money can go a long way to all of those things.
    Saying they need the money for minor league development coaches sounds like a cop out. Villar was arguably the Orioles best player last year and they let him go for nothing despite the ability to retain him on a reasonable one year contract.

"there's no scraps in my scrapbook"

On a somewhat similar note, the Giants have to decide whether they want to release Kevin Pillar or keep him for one more year at ~$10MM. He was one of the Giants most productive players last year with solid run production and baserunning, adequate CF defense, and a below average overall offensive profile.

While I hate his sub .300 OBP, I'd be a little bummed if the Giants don't bring him back despite them being a rebuilding club that is far from a Pillar away from a playoff team. I wouldn't want either him or Villar on a multi-year pact at $10MM per season but at one year, the pros seem to outweigh the cons (assuming the position isn't filled by a superior player before the season starts).

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffy25 View Post
    For a team that has accepted that they are going to lose and are in need to rebuild, they needed to tender him. You can shop him all off-season, and any prospect, or even sending money in a prospect deal to help cover his salary is still a good deal. Or hold onto him until the trade deadline and move him when his salary is half that amount and a team in need of a middle infielder will be more apt to move a prospect for him.

The idea that they took one of their only assets and just released him when they need these one year stop gaps is one of the main reasons why the O's can't get out of their perpetual rebuilds.
    My whole argument is whether or not a flyer prospect is worth $10 million or not. I would rather put some of the money towards infrastructure, with the roster spot going to a defensive upgrade so that it helps out the young pitching. I trust our GM to see the rebuild through, as he's done it before in Houston and the year one strides are already showing in the development system and the organization structure.

Quote Originally Posted by prodigy View Post
    big step back? Had his best offensive season so far and 40 SB's.

I would say 7-8 million is more where he should be. But if you got the money 10 isn't anything crazy. I don't think his offense will continue though. He'll drop back into the .255 ish range less power. So if you already have a good offense and need defense at 2nd he's a good fit.
    Yeah, if he can be your 7 hitter, you have a solid team.

Giants should re-sign Pillar. If Villar played CF more, then they may go for him as a replacement because of the SB. Can he continue to hit 20 - 25 HRs tho? They're looking to add more power hitting from the OF with Marcell Ozuna. Villar would be someone to keep an eye on if things go south with Pillar.

Quote Originally Posted by spliff(TONE) View Post
    On a somewhat similar note, the Giants have to decide whether they want to release Kevin Pillar or keep him for one more year at ~$10MM. He was one of the Giants most productive players last year with solid run production and baserunning, adequate CF defense, and a below average overall offensive profile.

While I hate his sub .300 OBP, I'd be a little bummed if the Giants don't bring him back despite them being a rebuilding club that is far from a Pillar away from a playoff team. I wouldn't want either him or Villar on a multi-year pact at $10MM per season but at one year, the pros seem to outweigh the cons (assuming the position isn't filled by a superior player before the season starts).
    Pillar has a kryptonite that he will never be able to overcome. It's called outside breaking balls. I assume he can still play superior defence in CF though. He never had the strongest arm but could track balls with the best of them. It's very easy to like the guy so I understand wanting to keep him around for another year.
    Quote Originally Posted by ChongInc. View Post
    Facts can be hypothetical.

Def makes his share of highlight reel catches and looks great to the eye in CF. Seems the defensive ratings have him at not much better than average though. Def flails at offspeed crap off the plate and can't take a walk to save his life.

The walks will never come. He's always been a hitter who gets the bat off his shoulder. He just can't lay off those outside breaking balls to save his life though. It's been the story with him ever since he's been in the majors.
    Quote Originally Posted by ChongInc. View Post
    Facts can be hypothetical.

Quote Originally Posted by R. Johnson#3 View Post
    Pillar has a kryptonite that he will never be able to overcome. It's called outside breaking balls. I assume he can still play superior defence in CF though. He never had the strongest arm but could track balls with the best of them. It's very easy to like the guy so I understand wanting to keep him around for another year.
    It's the same thing he had with the Blue Jays. He could be traded with new GM Scott Harris on board. The Giants could be going with analytics more with Fahidi and Kapler (from A's and is data based). It could be Jonathan Villar come on down if the price is right.

Quote Originally Posted by R. Johnson#3 View Post
    The walks will never come. He's always been a hitter who gets the bat off his shoulder. He just can't lay off those outside breaking balls to save his life though. It's been the story with him ever since he's been in the majors.
    I am well aware. A guy that's been in the game this long with a sub .300 OBP isn't going to magically get an eagle eye for the strike zone in his 30's.

As have traded Jurickson Profar to the Padres for catcher Austin Allen and a PTBNL.

Quote Originally Posted by Rush View Post
    As have traded Jurickson Profar to the Padres.
    The way Profar has turned out after being promising (before A's), it still leaves a bad taste in the mouth. Good going A's. Will Giants follow with Pillar? Unfortunately, few teams, if any looking for a CF like Pillar except Giants. Best bet would be to re-sign him south of $10 M.

https://mlb.nbcsports.com/2019/12/02...at-that-means/
    Last edited by jasonbourne; 12-02-2019 at 04:26 PM.

Pillar was non-tendered lol. Now, they try to re-sign him I think.

"Giants Non-Tender Kevin Pillar

December 2nd, 2019 at 6:51pm CST
    By Jeff Todd

The Giants have non-tendered center fielder Kevin Pillar, according to Jon Heyman of MLB Network (via Twitter). He'll head onto the open market.

Set to reach his 31st birthday in January, Pillar was slated to earn a projected $9.7MM in his final trip through the arbitration process. That proved too rich for the San Francisco organization, which played Pillar regularly after picking him up early in the 2019 season from the Blue Jays.

Frankly, it's not surprising to see the Giants pass at that price. Pillar is a gritty performer who still makes his share of highlight-reel plays and has good pop for an up-the-middle player. But advanced analysis suggests he has lost a step in the field and he continues to turn in cringeworthy on-base numbers."

Here's the tweet from Jon Heyman -- https://twitter.com/JonHeyman/status...65025334796288.
    Last edited by jasonbourne; 12-02-2019 at 10:15 PM.

The Marlins have acquired Jonathan Villar from the Orioles and claimed Jesus Aguilar off waivers from the Brewers.

Good for the Marlins to do with the O's should be doing.

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast