Like us on Facebook


Follow us on Twitter





Page 8 of 20 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast
Results 106 to 120 of 291
  1. #106
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    57,091
    C.J. Cron non-tendered, that's not a huge surprise

    But compare he and his brothers projections in 2020 right now
    Kevin - .243/.311/.472
    C.J. - .252/.315/.473

    That is fairly funny.

  2. #107
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Golden 1 Center
    Posts
    82,276
    Quote Originally Posted by Rush View Post
    The Marlins have acquired Jonathan Villar from the Marlins and claimed Jesus Aguilar off waivers from the Brewers.
    Marlins won that trade for sure. Or did they lose it? The world may never know.


    Fire Luke Walton


  3. #108
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    San Francisco, CA
    Posts
    38,940
    Quote Originally Posted by sacgiants1213 View Post
    Marlins won that trade for sure. Or did they lose it? The world may never know.
    Jeter is even a worse team official than a fielder, it turns out.

  4. #109
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    476
    Quote Originally Posted by sacgiants1213 View Post
    Marlins won that trade for sure. Or did they lose it? The world may never know.
    Haha, it seems like a Jeter move and a good one. More to it than meets the eye.

    https://twitter.com/CraigMish/status...67045324214273

    "The Marlins have acquired infielder Jonathan Villar from the Orioles, as Craig Mish of MLB Network first reported (via Twitter). Lefty Easton Lucas is going back in return.

    The Marlins have designated JT Riddle and Tayron Guerrero to create roster space. Previously dropped from the Baltimore 40-man, Villar was projected by MLBTR to earn $10.4MM in arbitration.

    Villar enters his final season of arbitration control, so heís not necessarily a long-term asset for the rebuilding Marlins. That said, itís not hard to understand the thought process here. Villar has been a productive player the past few seasons, especially in 2019. Last year, he slashed .273/.339/.453 (107 wRC+) while playing in all 162 games for Baltimore. He started 158 of them somewhere on the middle infield. Between that durability, defensive profile and offense (bolstered by elite baserunning), Villar was worth exactly 4 wins above replacement, per Fangraphs. Finding that level of player for around $10MM isnít easy."

    https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2019/...an-villar.html

  5. #110
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    44,510

    "there's no scraps in my scrapbook"

  6. #111
    Join Date
    Dec 2018
    Posts
    2,126
    Quote Originally Posted by jasonbourne View Post
    Haha, it seems like a Jeter move and a good one. More to it than meets the eye.

    https://twitter.com/CraigMish/status...67045324214273

    "The Marlins have acquired infielder Jonathan Villar from the Orioles, as Craig Mish of MLB Network first reported (via Twitter). Lefty Easton Lucas is going back in return.

    The Marlins have designated JT Riddle and Tayron Guerrero to create roster space. Previously dropped from the Baltimore 40-man, Villar was projected by MLBTR to earn $10.4MM in arbitration.

    Villar enters his final season of arbitration control, so heís not necessarily a long-term asset for the rebuilding Marlins. That said, itís not hard to understand the thought process here. Villar has been a productive player the past few seasons, especially in 2019. Last year, he slashed .273/.339/.453 (107 wRC+) while playing in all 162 games for Baltimore. He started 158 of them somewhere on the middle infield. Between that durability, defensive profile and offense (bolstered by elite baserunning), Villar was worth exactly 4 wins above replacement, per Fangraphs. Finding that level of player for around $10MM isnít easy."

    https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2019/...an-villar.html
    Yeah, I think both are good moves, Aguilar had a down year, but he's still in his prime and relatively cheap, plus he's in Arb for 3 more years, so if he has a bounce back season, the marlins could get something back for him in trade.

  7. #112
    Join Date
    Dec 2018
    Posts
    2,126
    Personally I prefer teams like the Marlins actively trying to improve at the margins rather than just out right being awful and tanking for draft pick placement, players in the draft are so hard to accurately project that the difference in picking 2nd or 3rd or 5th usually isn't that great.

    And you don't want to build a culture of losing.

  8. #113
    Join Date
    Dec 2018
    Posts
    2,126
    I honestly didn't see this posted anywhere else, or a thread made for this, but the Angels traded for Dylan Bundy.https://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/...vwy-story.html
    They gave up 4 relievers the best of which was ranked 21st in a bad system.

    While Bundy never panned out as an Ace, he's been remarkably durable the last 3 years, which is something the Angels just haven't had.
    Bundy has two Arb years left and is expected to get about $5.5 mill

  9. #114
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    57,091
    Quote Originally Posted by ciaban2.0 View Post
    Personally I prefer teams like the Marlins actively trying to improve at the margins rather than just out right being awful and tanking for draft pick placement, players in the draft are so hard to accurately project that the difference in picking 2nd or 3rd or 5th usually isn't that great.

    And you don't want to build a culture of losing.
    Certainly. But if you can spend $45M and lose 115 games, and draft 1st. You will have a greater pool to spend in the draft and likely get the best player out there.

    Isn't that better than spending $70M, losing 95 games, and drafting 6th?

  10. #115
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Annapolis MD
    Posts
    16,704
    Quote Originally Posted by ciaban2.0 View Post
    I honestly didn't see this posted anywhere else, or a thread made for this, but the Angels traded for Dylan Bundy.https://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/...vwy-story.html
    They gave up 4 relievers the best of which was ranked 21st in a bad system.

    While Bundy never panned out as an Ace, he's been remarkably durable the last 3 years, which is something the Angels just haven't had.
    Bundy has two Arb years left and is expected to get about $5.5 mill
    Of course, I'm getting the Baltimore slant, but I've heard that at least a couple of these guys are players who Elias has targeted in the draft at some point or another. It's also clear he wanted to go for quantity in hopes of hitting something instead of quality. I do like what I've heard about Bradish (#21 in their system) and Mattson profiles as a potentially good reliever.

    I have a feeling the Angels are going to get a big turnaround from Bundy. Just looking at his home/road splits, and it is clear he has Camden Yards PTSD. Obviously there is more to it than just playing half of his games in Anaheim, but it's a promising start. And as you said, he's going to provide a durability that they just haven't had in a while.

  11. #116
    Join Date
    Dec 2018
    Posts
    2,126
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeffy25 View Post
    Certainly. But if you can spend $45M and lose 115 games, and draft 1st. You will have a greater pool to spend in the draft and likely get the best player out there.

    Isn't that better than spending $70M, losing 95 games, and drafting 6th?
    Not a lot greater, and really, the main thing with draft picks isn't how much you spend but how well you develop, basketball and football players come ready to play out of the gate, there is still development that has to occur, most 19 year old can't come in and be LBJ or Luka, but in baseball, who you get drafted by and their development system is almost as important as anything else.

    Be honest, even as a cards fan, if your son was a top pitching prospect coming out of high school, wouldn't you rather he was drafted by the dodgers than almost any other team.

    Plus while you are loosing 95 games, you can trade some of those players if they're doing well, and prospects in the minors have much higher success rates than some kid taken in the 5th round, even if it's at the TOP of the 5th round.

  12. #117
    Join Date
    Dec 2018
    Posts
    2,126
    Quote Originally Posted by ThomasTomasz View Post
    Of course, I'm getting the Baltimore slant, but I've heard that at least a couple of these guys are players who Elias has targeted in the draft at some point or another. It's also clear he wanted to go for quantity in hopes of hitting something instead of quality. I do like what I've heard about Bradish (#21 in their system) and Mattson profiles as a potentially good reliever.

    I have a feeling the Angels are going to get a big turnaround from Bundy. Just looking at his home/road splits, and it is clear he has Camden Yards PTSD. Obviously there is more to it than just playing half of his games in Anaheim, but it's a promising start. And as you said, he's going to provide a durability that they just haven't had in a while.
    I don't think it's a bad trade for either, Baltimore doesn't have much use for him, they need volume to turn things around and hell, if any of these relievers do turn out good, they'll probably be traded too. And the Angels are getting a guy who's been healthy and solid for relatively cheap, something they haven't had in a LONG time.

    I hope they get him to move away from throwing his fastball so much, it's a meh pitch that's middle-middle WAY to much, and Camden punishes pitchers that do that.
    He has two great breaking pitches though.

  13. #118
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    202
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeffy25 View Post
    Certainly. But if you can spend $45M and lose 115 games, and draft 1st. You will have a greater pool to spend in the draft and likely get the best player out there.

    Isn't that better than spending $70M, losing 95 games, and drafting 6th?
    For most teams in MLB, I agree with you - not so sure about Miami. They need to not only build and maintain a culture of winning, they have to also foster a fan base from a really tough market. All markets are unique, but the cultural impact in South Florida is very different than any other. Bring in Ozzie Guillen years ago to pander to the hispanic community was not a bad move until he lauded the accomplishments of Fidel Castro, and went down in flames. Pair that with previous ownership's strategy of buying a winner, immediately followed by a firesale, and it's a very disillusioned following.

    To me, Jeter and the ownership group have to establish some positive equity for the Marlins' brand. I am not saying that 95 losses goes toward establishing that equity, but you have to show progress, in my opinion. They have a long way to go with a fan base that is both transient and culturally removed from most of the other markets.

  14. #119
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    34,195
    Hal Steinbrennersl has given the OK for Cashman to offer Cole the largest FA SP contract ever.

    I'm actually shocked. Figured Hal would cheap out yet again like they have w every big FA SP the last 10 years.

  15. #120
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Modesto
    Posts
    2,456
    Quote Originally Posted by goingfor28 View Post
    Hal Steinbrennersl has given the OK for Cashman to offer Cole the largest FA SP contract ever.

    I'm actually shocked. Figured Hal would cheap out yet again like they have w every big FA SP the last 10 years.
    The CBT sunsets in 2021, there is no CBT in 2022 so maybe this is affecting the decision making process
    "He's getting the best job in baseball."

    Bruce Bochy sent a clear message to whoever will be the Giants' next manager
    🙌
    https://bit.ly/2ndI9eG

Page 8 of 20 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •