Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 9 of 19 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

"there's no scraps in my scrapbook"

It makes all the sense to go there. They haven't won in 10 years. You kick off the new decade with a title and maybe a run of them then you become a baseball legend. They drafted him and failed to sign him, they pursued trades for him, they're gonna go all out and get their guy finally.

Quote Originally Posted by spliff(TONE) View Post
    Most trustworthy source ever right there

Quote Originally Posted by goingfor28 View Post
    Most trustworthy source ever right there
    I'd trust him with my life.

"there's no scraps in my scrapbook"

That is hardly even a “throw **** at the wall” type of rumour. Cole to the Yankees is a pretty damn good bet to happen. Not saying it will but no one would be surprised if it does.

I posted an offseason plan for the Yankees in our forum but wanted to share here to get some outside perspective on if the trades are reasonable:

I want to sign Cole. That's a given, but there are 3 other trades I'd suggest making.

1) Starling Marte of the Pirates is reportedly available and I've read they want a top catching prospect. We have Siegler as a top 10 organizational prospect but he's blocked by Sanchez, who has 3 years of control left. We need a CF now though. So I see a match.

https://www.baseball-reference.com/p...artest01.shtml

He's signed for 2 years, $24M - his age 31 and 32 seasons. So you get multiple years that should still be strong production before he goes to deep into his decline phase. He's been a good defensive CF, though last year seemed to take a step back. Once Hicks comes back though we can use him in the corners too though. He hits for good average, steals some bases, doesn't K a ton. He's another right handed hitter but actually has hit righties better the last 2 years.

This would set you up with him in CF, Tauchman in LF, Judge in RF, Stanton full time DH. Then once Hicks come back you have 5 guys for 4 spots so insurance for injury but also some matchup potential. Also, all of those guys would be signed not only for this season but the following one so you get some multi-year stability. And financially, it's the same range people are talking about Gardner in so it doesn't bust the budget compared to that. If we're signing Cole as mentioned above to start this plan I knew I needed to be conscious of the finances.

It would suck to lose Gardner's intangibles and he was awesome last year but when a guy has a career year at age 35 I'm on the boat that you should assume regression. I'd expect 2020 Gardner to be more like the 2018 version that made us sign him to only be a 4th OF in 2019, as opposed to the awesome season he put together in 2019.

2) Someone else suggested a trade of Clint Frazier for Robby Ray earlier. I really like that idea. We've long had interest in Ray and he'd be an awesome 5th start for us behind Cole/Sevy/Paxton/Tanaka. Him and German once he returns from suspension gives us exceptional depth in the rotation.

I think 6 years of Frazier for Ray is a little heavy so I would offset it by unloading Happ in the deal. From AZ's perspective, you replace Ray's innings. Happ was great prior to last year and even finished the year really strong. He'd be going to the NL West with lots of pitchers' parks. He'd be a strong rebound candidate and they get a guy to potentially help in the corner OF. Ray is expected to make $11M in arbitration so maybe the Yankees pay down $6M of Happ so it's a financial wash. He has that vesting option but if he's good enough to reach those thresholds in 2020 then $17M (basically the qualifying offer) isn't a bad deal for him. Maybe you add a clause that the Yankees cover the same $6M if he vests.

https://www.baseball-reference.com/p.../rayro02.shtml

Ray is still relatively young and has big strikeout stuff. With us, assuming we sign Cole as I started this plan off, he'd be our 5th starter. With the 26th player rule coming into effect we could even potentially go to a 6 man rotation once German is back. Most likely, someone will always be hurt though because that's just how starting pitching goes. This protects us from that. You probably need 4 starters going in the playoffs. I'd obviously be thrilled with Cole starting game 1 and we'd need him to be healthy. But there's room for injury behind that. You probably want 2 of Sevy/Tanaka/Paxton starting games 2 and 3. If one of them is hurt, either Ray or German could start game 4. So you're covered for 2 injuries really, as long as one of them isn't Cole.

Since we'd be paying down the difference between Happ and Ray, there's no financial gain here on the surface. However, there is a hidden benefit I would use since I'm being budget conscious. We all have talked about re-signing Betances for $6-10M or someone else in that range. Since I'm giving us a loaded rotation with 6 starters we trust, I'm assuming that we'll have at least 1, hopefully 2 extra healthy starters come playoff time. We can manage the regular season with Chapman/Britton/Kahnle/Green/Ottavino/Cessa/Lasagna just fine. It'd be nice to add another top arm but that costs money. But come playoff time, German and Ray could slide into the bullpen and make that a moot point. So you get the rotation depth you need in the regular season but also the top bullpen arms you need in the playoffs.

3) There's been a ton of talk on Lindor being available but he makes like $20M through arbitration. BUT, there's also been suggestion of us potentially signing Didi for like $12-14M a year to play SS again. And above I just talked about how using Ray as a reliever in the playoffs could save us the $6-10M spending on a reliever. So add that to what you were paying Didi and... I think you can all follow where I'm going with this.

Here's my offer for Lindor: Andujar, Deivi Garcia, Voit, any 2 other prospects they want besides Garcia and Dominguez.

For CLE, Andujar steps in at 3B so they can slide Jose Ramirez to 2B and replace Dozier. Voit steps in at 1B and pushes Carlos Santana too DH. We all **** on Voit but he was actually awesome before getting hurt and is signed cheaply through 2025. Great value for CLE there. Garcia is a top pitching prospect that should be ready this year. Then they get 2 more good prospects - let's say Estevan Florial and Luis Medina. It'd be a very good haul for them IMO.

For us, this adds a huge lefty bat to the lineup. Because it replaces the IF we're already projected to sign and we saved on relievers it once again makes financial sense too. Long term there's money coming off the books if we make sacrifices so it can work there too when we extend him. I don't need to dive into why he's such a great fit here or in any lineup.

It hurts to lose Andujar but we're getting a complete hitter that also defends. Garcia seems like a great prospect but he's only that and we still have a great rotation with Cole/Sevy/German locked up long term. That's a strong 1-2 and we have money to fill in behind them in the 3-5 spots with German also in that mix.

So all of these moves give us a lineup of:

1B DJ
    RF Judge
    SS Lindor
    2B Torres
    DH Stanton
    CF Marte
    LF Tauchman (until Hicks is back)
    C Sanchez
    3B Gio

Bench of Higgy, Mike Ford, Tauchman once Hicks comes back, Tyler Wade

6 man rotation of: Cole/Sevy/Paxton/Tanaka/Ray/German

Bullpen of: Chapman/Britton/Kahnle/Green/Ottavino/Cessa/Lasgana

In the lineup, I'm kind of concerned about the health of our OFers but we have 5 guys for 4 spots. And worst case we could use Ford as DH so you can even look at it as 5 guys for 3 spots. You don't necessarily NEED to get your DH from that group.

I'm also concerned that Gio might be a fluke at 3B. But I bet people would be surprised to know that DJ actually started more games at 3B for us than 1B last year. So if Gio does flop you could always slide DJ over there. That opens up 1B for Ford as an insurance plan or maybe even a platoon with Gio. 1B is also a relatively easy spot to find a mid season solution via trade.

Rotation wise we have tremendous depth and a true ace. Bullpen we're a little light for the regular season

Just to summarize the finances. Through the rumors Cashman has been given the go to offer Cole a huge deal so that seems fine. There's also been talk that the Yankees even still are talking to Gardner. That seems like an offer that would happen even with Cole considering the CF needs and is reportedly in the $10ishM range. My Marte idea was in that range salary wise so it works.

There's also been talks that they would still welcome back Didi, Romine and Betances at certain prices. Let's say $10M for Didi, $4M for Romine and $7M for Betances. That's $21M total. I let all of those guys walk to get Lindor instead. So financially, that one works as well.

The Ray trade is a wash with Happ. If we do want to save money, maybe instead of trading Happ for another starter they just eat the same $6M I have them eating but send him for a nothing prospect. Basically a giveaway. That then saves you $11M.

But overall, I think this is very reasonable and fair in terms of the trade offers and salaries projected. If they really do have the OK to sign Cole to a huge deal plus make the other ancillary moves that have been talked about then I think this should be within their budget.

NE Patriots Forum HOF (Class of 2011)

Last edited by Rush; 12-08-2019 at 09:37 PM. Reason: Embedded tweet

I can't remember if it was ESPN or CBS that put this up, but whoever it was ran an article "one move for each team" to make, and it was Trey Mancini to the Athletics for AJ Puk and Franklyn Barreto. I think that kind of return for Mancini would be enough to move him- an elite prospect that is close to being ready, and a former top prospect who may just need playing time or a change of scenery.

Quote Originally Posted by spliff(TONE) View Post
    I'd trust him with my life.
    Lol. And because it's a record breaking 7 yrs/$245 M offer on the table.

Cole will put butts in seats, but the Yankees still have to win. The best deals reflect that. However, it's funny no SF Giants deals are included in the top 10 list, but they won three times, three times, three times from 2010 - 2019.

https://www.mlb.com/news/top-10-free...decade-2010-19

You've have to give up more than Siegler to get Marte and more than Frazier to get Ray.

cole for 8 years 280 is nuts... i want him but maaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaan

i still want the phillies to do it though... its not my money.

Quote Originally Posted by More-Than-Most View Post
    cole for 8 years 280 is nuts... i want him but maaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaan

i still want the phillies to do it though... its not my money.
    I haaaaaaaaaaate this argument.

Quote Originally Posted by Rush View Post
    I haaaaaaaaaaate this argument.
    It's true though. If the Yankees wanted to pay their entire 40 man roster $30m each I wouldn't care as long as it didn't stop them from making necessary moves to improve

Quote Originally Posted by goingfor28 View Post
    It's true though. If the Yankees wanted to pay their entire 40 man roster $30m each I wouldn't care as long as it didn't stop them from making necessary moves to improve
    But that's the problem. The fan should care how much a team gives a player because a large contract/salary will hinder the team in the future in some capacity. There's always a ceiling.

Quote Originally Posted by Rush View Post
    But that's the problem. The fan should care how much a team gives a player because a large contract/salary will hinder the team in the future in some capacity. There's always a ceiling.
    i get it but once we gave harper that 13 year contract with the low AAV there is no real point in holding back to be very good for an entire decade... Go all in for the next 6-8 years... we have young guns in the farm that can also help along with a core of JT/Kingery/Harper/hoskins/nola/wheeler.... add a rendon or a cole and bring up a bohm and worry about contractual issues down the line... eventually we will have the seguras/cutchens/arrietas of the world coming off the books and as a large market we can easily sustain a 200 million plus yearly salary etc... we really havent been good with drafting and never ever go for the overseas young phenom players so our best avenue is free agency because of our owners endless pockets.... toss 40 mill a year at cole even if its an overpay to have a cole/nola/wheeler 123... sign me up

fun note i was in the same boat as you... i hated when we would spend stupidly but you know what was worse? the last 6 years or so of bad baseball... i dont trust our front office to find a middle ground between the 2007-2012 us and the 2013-2018 us or something like that. If i get 5 or 6 years of amazing baseball with chances at the world series because of over spending and it leads to years of bad contracts and poor play i am all in.

Page 9 of 19 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast