Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 38 of 38 FirstFirst ... 28363738
    Quote Originally Posted by GibbyIsMyHero View Post
    I hope we donít give up on Pettis. If he rebounds to be the guy he was late in his rookie year, then our receiving group will be absolutely insane even if itís also beyond crowded.

If Pettis can re-establish himself as a real threat this year, Imagine all the pre-snap movement and confusion we could create by lining him up with Deebo, Aiyuk, and Kittle; using 3 receivers that can fly and make people miss to move in and out of 21 personnel
    I hope the 49ers don't give up on anybody until they earn it ... unfortunately Pettis has gone a long way out on that plank on his own. I too hope he comes back strong, but again, there are 12 WRs on the roster and half of them are not going to make the team.

Hurd is supposedly finally 100% and he looked great before he got hurt.

Locks:
    Deebbo Samuel
    Brandon Aiyuk

Injury comeback:
    Jalen Hurd - if healthy he sounds like a lock
    Trent Taylor - if healthy he sounds like a lock

Shanahan trusted vet:
    Travis Benjamin - people around the team seem to think he's a lock

Veterans on the bubble:
    Kendrick Bourne
    Richie James Jr.

Prove it camp:
    Dante Pettis

Rookies:
    Chris Finke
    Jauan Jennings

No chance:
    Shawn Poindexter

If everyone is healthy and none of the rookies KILL it (practice squad for them), then Pettis has to beat out Bourne for the last spot.

Or course injuries happen so Pettis may be in competition with James for the last spot.

Quote Originally Posted by Scoots View Post
    I hope the 49ers don't give up on anybody until they earn it ... unfortunately Pettis has gone a long way out on that plank on his own. I too hope he comes back strong, but again, there are 12 WRs on the roster and half of them are not going to make the team.

Hurd is supposedly finally 100% and he looked great before he got hurt.

Locks:
    Deebbo Samuel
    Brandon Aiyuk

Injury comeback:
    Jalen Hurd - if healthy he sounds like a lock
    Trent Taylor - if healthy he sounds like a lock

Shanahan trusted vet:
    Travis Benjamin - people around the team seem to think he's a lock

Veterans on the bubble:
    Kendrick Bourne
    Richie James Jr.

Prove it camp:
    Dante Pettis

Rookies:
    Chris Finke
    Jauan Jennings

No chance:
    Shawn Poindexter

If everyone is healthy and none of the rookies KILL it (practice squad for them), then Pettis has to beat out Bourne for the last spot.

Or course injuries happen so Pettis may be in competition with James for the last spot.
    I don't see James making the team. I see us rolling with 7 receivers this year since Hurd will be used all over and not just receiver.

Deebo/Aiyuk/Taylor/Bourne/Pettis/Benjamin/Jennings

Hurd will take up one of the TE spots.

QB-Lock
    RB-Montgomery
    WR-AJ Brown, Hakeem Butler
    TE-TJ Hockenson
    Edge-Allen
    LB-Devon White, Blake Cashman
    CB-Joejuan Williams
    S-Dieonte Thompson

Quote Originally Posted by rapjuicer06 View Post
    I don't see James making the team. I see us rolling with 7 receivers this year since Hurd will be used all over and not just receiver.

Deebo/Aiyuk/Taylor/Bourne/Pettis/Benjamin/Jennings

Hurd will take up one of the TE spots.
    I was thinking 6 with the last one (assuming health) being Bourne or Pettis.

Deebo/Aiyuk/Taylor/Benjamin/Hurd/Bourne ... Pettis is cut/traded or beats out Bourne, Jennings to PS.

I think TE will be Kittle, Dwelley, Woerner, Nelson ... do you think Hurd takes Dwelley's spot or Woerners?

Quote Originally Posted by Scoots View Post
    I was thinking 6 with the last one (assuming health) being Bourne or Pettis.

Deebo/Aiyuk/Taylor/Benjamin/Hurd/Bourne ... Pettis is cut/traded or beats out Bourne, Jennings to PS.

I think TE will be Kittle, Dwelley, Woerner, Nelson ... do you think Hurd takes Dwelley's spot or Woerners?
    Woerners. I see him going to the PS. I think Jennings is a sleeper and I think Shanny can do some things with him

QB-Lock
    RB-Montgomery
    TE-TJ Hockenson
    Edge-Allen
    CB-Joejuan Williams
    S-Dieonte Thompson

Quote Originally Posted by rapjuicer06 View Post
    Woerners. I see him going to the PS. I think Jennings is a sleeper and I think Shanny can do some things with him
    I doubt the 5th round pick makes it to the PS so that's probably just throwing away the teams 3rd draft pick.

One thing to keep in mind is that this team is not above having convenient "injuries".

Quote Originally Posted by Lakers211221 View Post
    Aiyuk would not have been there at 31. Dolphins were going to take him the pick after we did and traded back after we took their guy. Steve Smith laughed at the big eared guy the day before the draft when he asked if someone could get Aiyuk in the second round and said no way is he getting to the second round. All the people who liked CeeDee Lamb at 13 should love Brandon Aiyuk at 25. They are very similar prospects. You just don't know Aiyuk as well because his team wasn't on TV as much and the TV people who make all of the mock drafts didn't get to go to the pro days and hear all of the scouts tell them he was going higher than their mock drafts.

Steve Smith did like Aiyuk over many of the other receivers, I saw and heard that.

But also b/c he played in a much weaker conference. On film most of his YAC was b/c he was wide open and behind the defense. His speed is also faster than his 40 time at combine. I've given him the poor man Ruggs comp b/c of his speed (underrated). He doesn't have the vision of Lamb in the open field.
    It's time to start winning right?

Playoffs and Championship droughts...

SF 49ers - 5 years no playoffs, 24 years no championship
    LA Lakers - 6 years no playoffs, 9 years no championship
    LA Kings - 1 year no playoffs, 5 years no championship
    SF Giants - 2 years no playoffs, 5 years no championship

The WR corps battle won't be as interesting for me. It's a bunch of guys that are fringe NFL players anyway.

James while a great punt returner last year, was among the worst kick off returners in football. As a 7th round pick, and his poor kickoffs actually hurt SF in the SB, I'm totally fine saying goodbye to him.

Bourne strangely plays big in muck it up type games, bad weather etc... It's nice to have that option.

Taylor? Who?

Hurd. He plays so physical and has been playing mostly IR for the 49ers and even pre-combine... So I guess when he's actually on the field, i can comment.

Barrows/Maiocco didn't think Benjamin will make the team. I guess he's the Jordan Mathews of 2020? Who was it in 2018? I forgot already. Always seems to be one vet WR that won't make the team.
    It's time to start winning right?

Playoffs and Championship droughts...

SF 49ers - 5 years no playoffs, 24 years no championship
    LA Lakers - 6 years no playoffs, 9 years no championship
    LA Kings - 1 year no playoffs, 5 years no championship
    SF Giants - 2 years no playoffs, 5 years no championship

Quote Originally Posted by leftymo View Post
    The WR corps battle won't be as interesting for me. It's a bunch of guys that are fringe NFL players anyway.

James while a great punt returner last year, was among the worst kick off returners in football. As a 7th round pick, and his poor kickoffs actually hurt SF in the SB, I'm totally fine saying goodbye to him.

Bourne strangely plays big in muck it up type games, bad weather etc... It's nice to have that option.

Taylor? Who?

Hurd. He plays so physical and has been playing mostly IR for the 49ers and even pre-combine... So I guess when he's actually on the field, i can comment.

Barrows/Maiocco didn't think Benjamin will make the team. I guess he's the Jordan Mathews of 2020? Who was it in 2018? I forgot already. Always seems to be one vet WR that won't make the team.
    Do you include Aiyuk and Samual in your "fringe NFL players"? I assume not.

SF's kick return game was, I think, top 1/3 of the NFL so not terrible, but I won't really miss James either.

Bourne seems like just a guy for most games so I don't mind him but I don't hope he beats out anyone in particular either.

Taylor is good when he's healthy. JG loves him.

Hurd, I can't disagree, but in the 2 weeks he was on the field it was all rave reviews so I hope he gets a chance to show something.

I don't like veterans who were fringe players on other teams beating out young potential, but some people seem to think Shanahan loves him.

What do you all think about a little Washington Huskies swap...

Dante Pettis for John Ross.

He has fallen out of favor in Cinci similar to Pettis with us, they aren't picking up his fifth year option making him a FA after this season. Change of scenery for both and we have the fastest WR in the league making CB's worried about the deep ball whenever hes on the field

Quote Originally Posted by PayDaPiper View Post

He has fallen out of favor in Cinci similar to Pettis with us, they aren't picking up his fifth year option making him a FA after this season. Change of scenery for both and we have the fastest WR in the league making CB's worried about the deep ball whenever hes on the field
    No thanks. Pettis has the skills we want and has knowledge of the system, we need him in shape and trying hard. I want to at least see him for one more camp.

Quote Originally Posted by PayDaPiper View Post

We don't have a Qb that throws a very good deep ball. Not knocking him as a Qb, but he doesn't throw a good deep ball.

QB-Lock
    RB-Montgomery
    TE-TJ Hockenson
    Edge-Allen
    CB-Joejuan Williams
    S-Dieonte Thompson

Seems like the theme for this offense is versatility. Guys that can do different things. Weíve seen Samuels and Kittle getting the ball on run plays. Aiyuk is that type of player as well. There is a guy that is a free agent that I think would be super cheap and thatís Ty Montgomery. A receiver at Stanford that switched to running back while in GB. Heís 27 years old and could also be used as a returner. Would be a great 3rd down back for Shanahan.

Quote Originally Posted by WestCoastSportz View Post
    Seems like the theme for this offense is versatility. Guys that can do different things. Weíve seen Samuels and Kittle getting the ball on run plays. Aiyuk is that type of player as well. There is a guy that is a free agent that I think would be super cheap and thatís Ty Montgomery. A receiver at Stanford that switched to running back while in GB. Heís 27 years old and could also be used as a returner. Would be a great 3rd down back for Shanahan.
    Shanny loves McKinnon. No need for Ty, even though I agree with you

QB-Lock
    RB-Montgomery
    TE-TJ Hockenson
    Edge-Allen
    CB-Joejuan Williams
    S-Dieonte Thompson

Mostert really requesting to be traded ?

Quote Originally Posted by 1hardcore View Post
    Mostert really requesting to be traded ?
    My guess is it's his agent not Mostert's idea. It's his last contract, they are looking to get a couple million more while he can.

Page 38 of 38 FirstFirst ... 28363738