Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 3 of 38 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
    I know the answer is likely going to be an overwhelming negative, but the idea of moving up in the 1st for an OT seems...at least to me...something to consider. I was fine with Staley going into the year, but injuries and looking rough when he came back does not paint a great picture beyond this year. And it's clear Jimmy works a lot better with reliable protection.

Quote Originally Posted by RedandGold_35 View Post
    I know the answer is likely going to be an overwhelming negative, but the idea of moving up in the 1st for an OT seems...at least to me...something to consider. I was fine with Staley going into the year, but injuries and looking rough when he came back does not paint a great picture beyond this year. And it's clear Jimmy works a lot better with reliable protection.
    My response to that would be with what assets?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

#MakeAmericaPeeAgain

Quote Originally Posted by downsos View Post
    My response to that would be with what assets?

This years 1 and next years.

They can get an OT without trading up. This is a good year for OTs.

This years 1 and next years.
    Pick 32 is basically a 2nd round pick though. [emoji6]

#MakeAmericaPeeAgain

We can find a guy at the end of the 1st for tackle

QB-Lock
    RB-Montgomery
    WR-AJ Brown, Hakeem Butler
    TE-TJ Hockenson
    Edge-Allen
    LB-Devon White, Blake Cashman
    CB-Joejuan Williams
    S-Dieonte Thompson

I mean, we can find someone where we pick, but the odds of landing another Staley seems slim at that position. Of the guys that might be there, I see injury risks and projects. I doubt we could move up to land someone like Andrew Thomas, but maybe the mid round area where there's more of a more sure type prospect. The very obvious weakpoint is when Jimmy is getting pressured a lot, so if its me, I'm doing what I need to to make sure that's minimized. I would understand if they stay put or moved down too, but that's my preference after watching the games so far.

I mean, we can find someone where we pick, but the odds of landing another Staley seems slim at that position. Of the guys that might be there, I see injury risks and projects. I doubt we could move up to land someone like Andrew Thomas, but maybe the mid round area where there's more of a more sure type prospect. The very obvious weakpoint is when Jimmy is getting pressured a lot, so if its me, I'm doing what I need to to make sure that's minimized. I would understand if they stay put or moved down too, but that's my preference after watching the games so far.
    It's really expensive to move from the bottom of the first to near the top. 49ers would have to trade their whole draft to get Thomas, and Jackson would be close. Don't know that there are any other OTs I like close to enough to trade up into the top 10 for, and even the top 20 there are not all that many clear LTs.

Quote Originally Posted by Scoots View Post
    It's really expensive to move from the bottom of the first to near the top. 49ers would have to trade their whole draft to get Thomas, and Jackson would be close. Don't know that there are any other OTs I like close to enough to trade up into the top 10 for, and even the top 20 there are not all that many clear LTs.
    Well the last part of your post hammers home my worry. Kyle seems to target unexpected guys based on fit rather than draft stock for his offense, but still, I worry.

I know we won't trade to the top, mid round at the most was what I said, if someone like Jackson is there and they feel he fits then at least inquire. Someone like Trey Adams would probably be an option, but he's on the injury risk column for me. Others after that are all very much raw/projects which I guess isn't bad if Joe hangs around another year, but I don't know how long he's got.

Well the last part of your post hammers home my worry. Kyle seems to target unexpected guys based on fit rather than draft stock for his offense, but still, I worry.

I know we won't trade to the top, mid round at the most was what I said, if someone like Jackson is there and they feel he fits then at least inquire. Someone like Trey Adams would probably be an option, but he's on the injury risk column for me. Others after that are all very much raw/projects which I guess isn't bad if Joe hangs around another year, but I don't know how long he's got.
    I wanted to go OT 2 years ago just so a raw prospect would have that time Maybe it's Skule who knows.

Jackson, I don't think, is going to get to the middle of the first.

I would be fine with a raw prospect at 32.

I'd rather see Brunskill over Skule the rest of the way.

#MakeAmericaPeeAgain

Quote Originally Posted by downsos View Post
    I'd rather see Brunskill over Skule the rest of the way.
    They seem to have different strengths. No question Brunskill was better against the Pack. 3 weeks earlier Skule was better. That said, this thread is about the draft.

Wirfs, Cosmi, Wanogho would work for me for the 49ers. All of them might begin as right tackles because they all need work, but they have a physical foundation to work from, and at least 2 are likely still on the board when the 49ers pick.

Wirfs is having a down year. Not sure I'd be up for taking him

QB-Lock
    RB-Montgomery
    TE-TJ Hockenson
    Edge-Allen
    CB-Joejuan Williams
    S-Dieonte Thompson

Quote Originally Posted by rapjuicer06 View Post
    Wirfs is having a down year. Not sure I'd be up for taking him
    Yeah, I'm not sold on him as a LT, but in general I like that Iowa linemen conversion to the pros is generally pretty good because of scheme and technique. And Wirfs needs to gain some quickness in pass protection, but he's pretty quick and strong already.

If he's there he's certainly worth considering even if it's assuming McG will have to swing to the left.

Quote Originally Posted by Scoots View Post
    Yeah, I'm not sold on him as a LT, but in general I like that Iowa linemen conversion to the pros is generally pretty good because of scheme and technique. And Wirfs needs to gain some quickness in pass protection, but he's pretty quick and strong already.

If he's there he's certainly worth considering even if it's assuming McG will have to swing to the left.
    Hes a guard in the NFL

QB-Lock
    RB-Montgomery
    TE-TJ Hockenson
    Edge-Allen
    CB-Joejuan Williams
    S-Dieonte Thompson

Page 3 of 38 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast