Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 891011 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by vikingsfan0845 View Post
    Drew Brees also won the Super Bowl the year he turned 30 lol
    A super bowl he shouldn't have even been playing in. F 2009.

You know who might have been an interesting signing for us IF we then backed it up using a high pick on a QB (even if not Lamar Jackson in the first).........Ryan Fitzpatrick....basically a small step up from Keenum, but generally steady enough we'd have been better than 8-7-1 last year IMO (since we also would have had more cap space) and in better shape this year as well.
    gotta love 'referential' treatment

Quote Originally Posted by goingfor28 View Post
    A super bowl he shouldn't have even been playing in. F 2009.
    Letís not go down that rabbit hole

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    2019 Vikings Draft :
    Round 1: Garrett Bradbury C N.C. State
    Round 2: Irv Smith TE Alabama
    Round 3: Alex Mattison RB Boise State
    Round 4: Dru Samia G Oklahoma
    Round 5: Cameron Smith LB USC
    Round 6: Armon Watts DT Arkansas
    Round 6: Marcus Epps S Wyoming
    Round 6: Oli Udoh OT Elon
    Round 7: Kris Boyd CB Texas
    Round 7: Dillon Mitchell WR Oregon
    Round 7: Olabisi Johnson WR Colorado State
    Round 7: Austin Cutting LS Air Force

Letís not go down that rabbit hole

One of those sports moments I'm not sure I'll ever get over. Makes me mad every time I see or hear about it lol

It's just part of the long list of things that'll make it that much sweeter when Patrick Leonard IV leads us to our first super bowl victory in 2039!

You also have to look at our other options at the time. Teddy wasnít going to be ready to lead a playoff team. Keenum wasnít the guy. Relying on a rookie would be risky. Cousins, despite his flaws, was the best option. Fully guaranteeing the contract was met with criticism but I think it was a great move. After year 3 we can be done with him. Typically a QB gets a 5 year deal and if that was the case we would be looking at dead money, likely 10-15 million, if we wanted to cut him after year 3. So at least the FO made a wise decision to shorten the deal and not hamstring the future.

Sorry man but I just can't buy that signing him was the best option. You want to talk about risk, signing a QB to a guaranteed 84 million dollar contract who was 0-7 in his career on Monday Night Football, never won a playoff game in his 7 years in the NFL, who had won just 36 percent of his road games and was 4-24 lifetime against teams that were over .500. Now that's a risk. There's a reason Redskins fans where thrilled they let him go. He can't win when it counts. Which is the exact opposite of what the Vikings needed after being one win away from a Superbowl.

The least "Risky" option would have been to resign the QB that helped this team go 13-3 the year before, won the NFC North and helped this team get to the NFC Championship game. Keenum hasn't been great since he left the Vikings but things could have been different if he stayed. The team could have surrounded him with more talent, kept Teddy as his backup and drafted a QB in the first round. With Kirk the team regressed from a 13-3 team to an 8-7-1 team that missed the playoffs. I think Keenum with more talent surrounding him could have at least done that.
    https://orig00.deviantart.net/1dc3/f/2018/078/e/e/cousins_by_matthew998-dc6cc8l.png

Quote Originally Posted by goingfor28 View Post
    One of those sports moments I'm not sure I'll ever get over. Makes me mad every time I see or hear about it lol

It's just part of the long list of things that'll make it that much sweeter when Patrick Leonard IV leads us to our first super bowl victory in 2039!
    I'm still very bitter.....
    https://orig00.deviantart.net/1dc3/f/2018/078/e/e/cousins_by_matthew998-dc6cc8l.png

Ya I have defended spielman but cousins seems like more of the same than a one time mistake at qb. He went and overpaid for Bradford too just to miss the playoffs.

I think we need to stop trying to convince ourselves other teams average qbs are anything more than average and speilman seems to want to spend big on those exact types (bigger arm, immobile, tends to lose games as leader given composure etc)

Quote Originally Posted by VCU4LIFEGOVIKS View Post
    Sorry man but I just can't buy that signing him was the best option. You want to talk about risk, signing a QB to a guaranteed 84 million dollar contract who was 0-7 in his career on Monday Night Football, never won a playoff game in his 7 years in the NFL, who had won just 36 percent of his road games and was 4-24 lifetime against teams that were over .500. Now that's a risk. There's a reason Redskins fans where thrilled they let him go. He can't win when it counts. Which is the exact opposite of what the Vikings needed after being one win away from a Superbowl.

The least "Risky" option would have been to resign the QB that helped this team go 13-3 the year before, won the NFC North and helped this team get to the NFC Championship game. Keenum hasn't been great since he left the Vikings but things could have been different if he stayed. The team could have surrounded him with more talent, kept Teddy as his backup and drafted a QB in the first round. With Kirk the team regressed from a 13-3 team to an 8-7-1 team that missed the playoffs. I think Keenum with more talent surrounding him could have at least done that.
    This.

Drew Brees also won the Super Bowl the year he turned 30 lol
    Yes he did but in hindsight before he won the Super Bowl did Brees get this much heat? Probably not...perhaps his salary was not that high so it did not warrant it.

Also we seem to forget that 3 years ago Brees lead Saints was coming off of 3 straight losing seasons. In fact look at this:
    2012: 7-9
    2013: 11-5
    2014: 7-9
    2015: 7-8
    2016: 7-9

But he got that Super Bowl and got a free pass for the rest of his life. He didn't win the big games until his team around him was better. I think Kirk will get there, just needs to get that one big game under his belt.

Quote Originally Posted by SiteWolf View Post
    You know who might have been an interesting signing for us IF we then backed it up using a high pick on a QB (even if not Lamar Jackson in the first).........Ryan Fitzpatrick....basically a small step up from Keenum, but generally steady enough we'd have been better than 8-7-1 last year IMO (since we also would have had more cap space) and in better shape this year as well.
    Iím not a Kirk Cousins guy either, but this is taking it wayyyy too far. Fitzpatrick is a turnover machine, heís the exact opposite of what this team needs. We would have been better off keeping Teddy. He doesnít make a lot of huge plays down the field, but heís smart, accurate and doesnít turn the ball over.

Also to add on this:

Drew with SD was 51% wins and with NO he is 61%
    Kirk with WAS was 46% wins and with MN he is 58% so far

Took Drew year 4 to reach SB with NO and the two previous seasons before 2009 he was 7-9 and 8-8.

In the short time Kirk has been here his advanced passing stats are better than with WAS. We are getting exactly who we wanted. Now, it's just building the consistency and as a whole team to show up in these big games.

Quote Originally Posted by pacofunk64 View Post
    Yes he did but in hindsight before he won the Super Bowl did Brees get this much heat? Probably not...perhaps his salary was not that high so it did not warrant it.

Also we seem to forget that 3 years ago Brees lead Saints was coming off of 3 straight losing seasons. In fact look at this:
    2012: 7-9
    2013: 11-5
    2014: 7-9
    2015: 7-8
    2016: 7-9

But he got that Super Bowl and got a free pass for the rest of his life. He didn't win the big games until his team around him was better. I think Kirk will get there, just needs to get that one big game under his belt.
    Can we stop the Cousins and Drew Brees comparisons!?!?!?! The Saints were 7-9 because they had historically bad defenses. Their offense with Brees under center was always and is still always at the top of the league.

Quote Originally Posted by nasthemasta View Post
    Can we stop the Cousins and Drew Brees comparisons!?!?!?! The Saints were 7-9 because they had historically bad defenses. Their offense with Brees under center was always and is still always at the top of the league.
    You would trade 10 Cousins for 1 Brees...

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

If you cant beat them, join them

Quote Originally Posted by nasthemasta View Post
    Oh so Kirk having a bottom 5 defense in WAS doesn't matter? I see how it goes. My point is that as great as Brees is even he only has 1 SB. We are too quick to place all of the blame on Kirk when he's been our best 2 year starter since...possibly Culpepper?

It's also very easy to say Kirk isn't Drew because Drew has played 10 years longer but before his 2009 SB he was exactly who Kirk is now. A guy who put up real good numbers but couldn't win the big game.

Quote Originally Posted by pacofunk64 View Post
    Oh so Kirk having a bottom 5 defense in WAS doesn't matter? I see how it goes. My point is that as great as Brees is even he only has 1 SB. We are too quick to place all of the blame on Kirk when he's been our best 2 year starter since...possibly Culpepper?

It's also very easy to say Kirk isn't Drew because Drew has played 10 years longer but before his 2009 SB he was exactly who Kirk is now. A guy who put up real good numbers but couldn't win the big game.
    I guess youíre just giving him a pass on the year and a half heís been here with top 5 scoring defenses?? Last year he was trash and so far this year heís lost all 3 big games on the road we needed to win (@chicago, @GB and @KC). If you guys want to keep patting him on the back for beating below average teams like Detroit and Philly then crown his ***, but youíre going to be highly disappointed if you keep trying to compare him to an all time great like Drew Brees.

Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 891011 LastLast