Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 31 of 40 FirstFirst ... 212930313233 ... LastLast
    Talking about Carlson, since we are likely to see him at some point this year assuming he stays healthy

Baseball America had him as their 10th best prospect. Here are their rankings.

Dylan Carlson
    CardinalsOF
    Notes:
    ETA: 2020
    Final 2019 Ranking: 16
    Tools: Hit: 55 | Power: 60 | Run: 55 | Fielding: 55 | Arm: 50
    2019 Average Exit Velo: 88

Skinny: Carlson saw his tools and feel for the game click with Double-A Springfield this past year. The outfielder clubbed 21 homers before receiving a promotion to Triple-A Memphis on Aug. 7 for an 18-game stint to close out the season. Carlson posted a 20-20 campaign, putting his power and speed profile on full display.

And here is Fangraphs
    2. Dylan Carlson, LFVideo
    Drafted: 1st Round, 2016 from Elk Grove HS (CA) (STL)
    Age 21.2 Height 6′ 3″ Weight 210 Bat / Thr S / L FV 55
    Tool Grades (Present/Future)
    Hit Raw Power Game Power Run Fielding Throw
    40/55 50/55 40/55 50/40 50/55 40/40
    A year ago, on the Cardinals list and in our Picks to Click article, we tabbed Carlson as one of the prospects in this org likely to break out. But even we didn’t expect he’d nearly go 20/20 and slug .518 at Double-A Springfield. Judging by the fervor this performance created among our more fantasy-focused readers, they may be wondering why we were ahead of the curve a year ago, but aren’t hitting the gas on Carlson’s evaluation now after the year he had. We certainly like him — Carlson is balanced and coordinated while hitting from both sides of the plate, his left-handed swing has gorgeous lift and finish, he has advanced bat control for a switch-hitter this age, he’s athletic and moves well for his size, and he has high-end makeup. But we have some questions about the ultimate ceiling.

Carlson is an average runner and a large dude for a 20-year-old. His instincts in center field are okay, but not good enough to overcome long speed that typically falls short at the position. Because of where we have his arm strength graded, we think he fits in left field or at first base. The TrackMan data we sourced also indicates that his 2019 line is a bit of a caricature. His average exit velo (about 88 mph) and rate of balls in play at 95 mph or higher (about 34%) are both right around the big league average, rather than exceptional. The in-office types we talk to about this kind of thing are in love with Carlson because he’s only 20, and they anticipate these things will improve, but visual evaluation of his build don’t suggest as much physical projection as is typical of someone this young, because he’s already a big guy. As a result, he was on the 50/55 FV line for us during the process of compiling this list. The league-average offensive production in left field has been lower than you might expect (it’s 100 wRC+ over the last five years) and Carlson might also be able to play a situational center field when the Cards are behind and need offense, as well as some first base. That versatility is valuable, so he tipped into the 55 FV range. But we think he’s closer to the line than one might conclude if they were just looking at his surface stats.

I think worst case, he's Dexter Fowler. A solid, 2 win player who gives you nothing special, but doesn't hurt you
    I think best case is either Bernie Williams or Lance Berkman. Depends how much more size he gains.

Quote Originally Posted by Ktblues8 View Post
    1. Edman LF
    2. Wong 2B
    3. Goldschmidt 1B
    4. Carpenter 3B
    5. DeJong SS
    6. Molina C
    7. Fowler RF
    8. Bader CF
    9. Pitcher

Personally, I do not believe O'Neill will be anything more than Grichuk. Obviously Edman will move around but having him and Wong at the top of the lineup gives us that 1-2 OBP punch with speed.
    Fwiw, O'Neill is quite a bit better than Grichuk was at this point.

he basically has an additional 20 points in OBP and Slugging each for each level.

I think it's realistic to think he will be a little better than Grichuk.

Quote Originally Posted by Obabikon View Post
    If Carlson or Edman is legit, and Carp bounces back to form... this is a very good lineup.

I like the idea of an outfield of O'Neill, Bader, Carlson.... Fowler should be the flex outfielder once Carlson is up.

With Edman being able to play almost anywhere... we should go ahead and grab a big bat off the bench. Maybe that's Austin Dean.
    **** ton of ifs there

QB-Lock
    RB-Montgomery
    WR-AJ Brown, Hakeem Butler
    TE-TJ Hockenson
    Edge-Allen
    LB-Devon White, Blake Cashman
    CB-Joejuan Williams
    S-Dieonte Thompson

2019 Texas League Player of the Year Dylan Carlson posted an .882 OPS during his age 20 season at AA.

Here is the list of players who played a full season in the Texas League over the previous five seasons and posted an OPS over .840 at age 22 or younger.

Cody Bellinger had an OPS of .843 in 2016 for Tulsa at age 20. He then made his MLB debut in 2017 and had an OPS of .933 over 548 plate appearances.

Fernando Tatis Jr. had an OPS of .862 in 2018 for San Antonio at age 19. He made his MLB debut this past season and had an OPS of .969 over 372 plate appearances.

That's it. That's the complete list.

Quote Originally Posted by rapjuicer06 View Post
    **** ton of ifs there
    I mean, that's two, and both are incredibly low risk

Either Carlson or Edman is what they are projected to be
    And Carp bounces back to his form.

These aren't extreme requests, or particularly unlikely.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffy25 View Post
    I mean, that's two, and both are incredibly low risk

Either Carlson or Edman is what they are projected to be
    And Carp bounces back to his form.

These aren't extreme requests, or particularly unlikely.
    Its 3. Carlson, Edman, Carp.

QB-Lock
    RB-Montgomery
    TE-TJ Hockenson
    Edge-Allen
    CB-Joejuan Williams
    S-Dieonte Thompson

If Carlson would have an ops of over .900... that would be amazing. He certainly could! He's in some pretty good company on that shore list.

1. Fowler RF
    2. Goldschmidt 1B
    3. Carpenter 3B
    4. DeJong SS
    5. Wong 2B
    6. Molina C
    7. O'Neill LF
    8. Pitcher
    9. Bader CF

Edman plays 5-6 days per week. He gives Carp, Bader (O'Neill slides to center), O'Neill, Fowler, Wong and every other week DeJong a break days off. Since he's a switch hitter... he can just plug in the lineup anywhere.

I'm pumped about Carlson, but not going to count him until he's officially called up.

I'd still like to see us go get Brian Anderson. Big fan of this kid, hes cheap and young. Can play 3rd and RF.

Tyler ONeill, Zach Thompson and maybe a little more should be enough for him.

QB-Lock
    RB-Montgomery
    TE-TJ Hockenson
    Edge-Allen
    CB-Joejuan Williams
    S-Dieonte Thompson

Its 3. Carlson, Edman, Carp.
    He said Carlson OR Edman

Quote Originally Posted by Obabikon View Post
    If Carlson would have an ops of over .900... that would be amazing. He certainly could! He's in some pretty good company on that shore list.

1. Fowler RF
    2. Goldschmidt 1B
    3. Carpenter 3B
    4. DeJong SS
    5. Wong 2B
    6. Molina C
    7. O'Neill LF
    8. Pitcher
    9. Bader CF

Edman plays 5-6 days per week. He gives Carp, Bader (O'Neill slides to center), O'Neill, Fowler, Wong and every other week DeJong a break days off. Since he's a switch hitter... he can just plug in the lineup anywhere.

I'm pumped about Carlson, but not going to count him until he's officially called up.
    Yeah, Carlson has a 25% stud rate, 30% bust rate, 45% MLB regular rate right now.

He could be Cody Bellinger as well as he could become Travis Snider. He's most likely Carlos Santana

I'm referring to top 10 prospects and how they panned out over 6 years.

I'd still like to see us go get Brian Anderson. Big fan of this kid, hes cheap and young. Can play 3rd and RF.

Tyler ONeill, Zach Thompson and maybe a little more should be enough for him.
    I feel like Andrerson is the kind of player the Marlins want to build around over a longer period of time, but he would be amazing to land.

I don't think O'Neill and Thompson is nearly enough though. We'd need to give them one of Herrera/Hudson/Gallegos or Bader to seal the deal.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffy25 View Post
    I feel like Andrerson is the kind of player the Marlins want to build around over a longer period of time, but he would be amazing to land.

I don't think O'Neill and Thompson is nearly enough though. We'd need to give them one of Herrera/Hudson/Gallegos or Bader to seal the deal.
    Hes too old for them to build around IMO. They aren't even close and hes 26/27

QB-Lock
    RB-Montgomery
    TE-TJ Hockenson
    Edge-Allen
    CB-Joejuan Williams
    S-Dieonte Thompson

Hes too old for them to build around IMO. They aren't even close and hes 26/27
    Yes, but he has 4 years of control. In 3 years from now, they could easily still trade him for a good haul and they'll likely be much closer to competitive then.

He's a 4 win player with 4 years of control.

That's 16 wins for $25M or so in salaries. That's a huge surplus value that we would have to pay handsomely for.

https://www.prosportsdaily.com/artic...on-611096.html

I have to agree with this article. We really did nothing to improve the team.

Quote Originally Posted by lakerfan85 View Post
    https://www.prosportsdaily.com/artic...on-611096.html

I have to agree with this article. We really did nothing to improve the team.
    I think to be disappointed… You had to have high expectations. I had absolutely no belief that the Cardinals would do much this off-season. I think we are all very excited to see what our minor-league outfielders can do

Page 31 of 40 FirstFirst ... 212930313233 ... LastLast