Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 2 of 27 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeffy25 View Post
    If you can get Lindor, then I'd be all over trading DeJong, even if DeJong's salary made sense.

But if that's the case, keep your players, and just sign him in free agency in two years.

Dude is gonna be a $35M player though.

But if you can get him to extend, that would change things. But I think he wants to be in a big market.

Also, we have to be able to afford a team around the stars. Can't have a stars and scrubs roster.
    I think Lindor wants to win and be loved. He would get both of that here.

Edman/Carlson/Goldie/Knizner/Flaherty/Hudson

Not exactly scrubs

Trade for Lindor, also trade for Soler.

Gorman + DeJong for Lindor

Fernandez + O'Neill + Helsley/Woodford for Soler

Molina's contract is up, have that money to extend Soler

Then when carp and fowler leave you can extend Lindor.

QB-Lock
    RB-Montgomery
    WR-AJ Brown, Hakeem Butler
    TE-TJ Hockenson
    Edge-Allen
    LB-Devon White, Blake Cashman
    CB-Joejuan Williams
    S-Dieonte Thompson

Quote Originally Posted by rapjuicer06 View Post
    I think Lindor wants to win and be loved. He would get both of that here.

Edman/Carlson/Goldie/Knizner/Flaherty/Hudson

Not exactly scrubs
    But who is behind that, and how much do you have.

In 2021, Goldie is being paid $26M, and let's say Lindor gets $35M
    Then you have Mikolas for 2 more years at $17M each
    And the following are in arbitration
    Bader
    Brebbia
    Gant
    Martinez
    Reyes
    Mayers
    Flaherty
    Munoz
    Hudson
    Hicks

And Kolten Won's contract is probably exercised at $12.5M

So, roughly $130M

It can be done, but I dunno how many more impact players we can get on this team. That's all I'm saying.

Gorman + DeJong for Lindor

Fernandez + O'Neill + Helsley/Woodford for Soler
    I think both are realistic trade offers.

Molina's contract is up, have that money to extend Soler

Then when carp and fowler leave you can extend Lindor.
    It can certainly work.

I do think Cleveland would prefer Carlson over Gorman, since their top prospect is also a third basemen, and Ramirez is under control several more years.

I think the Soler deal makes sense too.

I think both of these are realistic.

Lineup

1. Edman - 3B
    2. Carlson - RF
    3. Lindor - SS
    4. Goldie - 1B
    5. Soler - LF
    6. Molina/Knizner - C
    7. Wong - 2B
    8. Bader/Thomas - CF
    9. Pitcher

Martinez and Carpenter on the bench

Very very good lineup, and you remained realistic with the trades. Though, we may have to lose Carlson instead of Gorman to get it done.

Strausburg has to be opting out, right? His contract right now is 4 years 100mil. I would assume he could get that without any effort.

Quote Originally Posted by Obabikon View Post
    Strausburg has to be opting out, right? His contract right now is 4 years 100mil. I would assume he could get that without any effort.
    Yes, he will opt out but in all likelihood resign with the Nats for an additional couple years and a pay bump.

Quote Originally Posted by Ktblues8 View Post
    Yes, he will opt out but in all likelihood resign with the Nats for an additional couple years and a pay bump.
    If he opts out, they might try to take that free money and keep Rendon.

Jeffy... if a player opts out (Strausburg) is the team allowed to "tag" him? Basically... if an opt out player walks, does the team he's leaving have rights to a comp pick?

Quote Originally Posted by Obabikon View Post
    If he opts out, they might try to take that free money and keep Rendon.

Jeffy... if a player opts out (Strausburg) is the team allowed to "tag" him? Basically... if an opt out player walks, does the team he's leaving have rights to a comp pick?
    If he's never been offered a QO before, then yes, they can QO him. Which Strasburg hasn't been given a QO before, so he will get one.

And I'm sure he will opt out, he'll top 4/$100M

I just didn't know if he could get a QO after opting out.

I could see the Indians doing the trade and move Gorman to 1B. It's being projected that's a move that is going to happen down the road for him.

Soler, Lindor, Carlson, Edman, Goldie - that's a fantastic core group.

Flaherty/Martinez/Hudson leads to a very solid rotation. I see Thompson also being a legit guy in a year or two.

Reyes is still a wildcard. Could be an Ace, could be nothing

QB-Lock
    RB-Montgomery
    WR-AJ Brown, Hakeem Butler
    TE-TJ Hockenson
    Edge-Allen
    LB-Devon White, Blake Cashman
    CB-Joejuan Williams
    S-Dieonte Thompson

Quote Originally Posted by rapjuicer06 View Post
    I could see the Indians doing the trade and move Gorman to 1B. It's being projected that's a move that is going to happen down the road for him.

Soler, Lindor, Carlson, Edman, Goldie - that's a fantastic core group.

Flaherty/Martinez/Hudson leads to a very solid rotation. I see Thompson also being a legit guy in a year or two.

Reyes is still a wildcard. Could be an Ace, could be nothing
    Indians don't need infielders, they need outfielders

At first, they have Bobby Bradley Jr, who is MLB ready
    At third or second, they have Jose Ramirez for another 4 years
    At third, they have Nolan Jones, who should be in AAA this year at 22 years old
    At short, they have Tyler Freeman, but he'll start the year in High A I'm sure, probably see AA at some point next year.

What they don't have, our outfielders.

A fair trade for Lindor, and the one they'd ask for. DeJong and Carlson.

DeJong would play shortstop for at least the next two years, and if Freeman does make the move to MLB ready stardom, they could either move DeJong to another position that might vacate, or to another team. Or move Freeman.

Carlson would be a 6 year outfielder.

While they wouldn't be upset with Gorman, he isn't who they'd target. Same with Edman, who is really a 2B/3B, not a shortstop.

I think if you really want Lindor, you have to lose Carlson and DeJong, otherwise, another team will likely top it. And that's a deal the Indians would target and want. But I don't think you can expect to get 2years of Lindor without Carlson.

Names to keep an eye on:

Chris Sale. His velo was down and hes coming off an elbow injury without TJ surgery which today is probably worse than getting the surgery. Being the surgery is no longer a career set back and if he needs it next year, then you lose a year on him. Think Boston would like to move Price but dont see that happening. They would like to keep Sale but with their new guy from the Rays running things I think they would listen. I wouldnt go to high when meeting the price given the velo and elbow concerns but Cmart and prospect for Sale I would entertain.

Lance McCullers. A guy coming off of TJ surgery. Has electric stuff. Astros probably wont retain Cole but if they do I could see him becoming available if it could help them somewhere else i.e the bullpen but dont see a match here. Houston can retain Cole and add salary I just dont see them doing it. Plus I dont see a match here but you would have to kick the tires and see if you can finagle them.

Kongrats... Kolten!!! Winning a well deserved GG!

Bader, Goldie, Flaherty and Molina were all in the running at their respective positions. Pretty impressive to be a few votes away from 5 GG winners.

For real, very impressive.

Fowler and Carpenter for Price could be a potential move...$35 million per year for the next two years vs $32 million per year for the next 3. Clears some of the roster jam that we have and gives us a potentially solid 2-3 starter. May have to add some prospects to that to entice Boston

Quote Originally Posted by Ktblues8 View Post
    Fowler and Carpenter for Price could be a potential move...$35 million per year for the next two years vs $32 million per year for the next 3. Clears some of the roster jam that we have and gives us a potentially solid 2-3 starter. May have to add some prospects to that to entice Boston
    For Boston, Carpenter and Fowler don't have much value at all. Combined 2.0 rWAR for both players the next two years is close to what Price is worth. But neither has a position to play, it would be purely financial for them.

Fowler and Carpenter's combined cap hit is $36M
    Price's cap hit is $31M

So I don't think they would have much interest other than the 2022 salary that Price is going to get paid.

I did think about a Fowler for Price, JBJ swap that allows them to maybe keep Betts and try to extend him.

We take Price, JBJ
    We give up Fowler, Ramon Urias

We will pay Price $32M per year for the next 3 years. Which should be about 5 WAR in value. A negative value of $46M
    JBJ is expected to make around $11M this year, and he should have basically a neutral value
    Fowler makes $33M over the next two years, and should be worth around 2 wins, so a negative value of about $13M
    The cap savings for the Red Sox is $42M, minus the $16.5M for Fowler, so $25.5M, which is enough to justify them keeping Betts and extending him.

We would have JBJ and Bader in the same outfield for 2020, and I don't think we are necessarily better in 2020, though Price gives us a nice option.

So to offset this, the Red Sox would give us $33M, ($11M per year) to pay towards Price's contract. Which won't affect their Lux tax.

They get a cap savings of $25.5M We added $15M to payroll for 2020, but added 2 wins to our rotation, and swapped values in the outfield (JBJ = Fowler, but more defense, less offense).

Then Price basically costs us $21M in 2021 and 2022.

It's not a great move for us, but it is a realistic way to get rid of Fowler that the acquiring team wouldn't be upset with and would benefit them. And we gain 2 more wins in 2020 most likely.

I just wouldn't love paying 36 year old David Price $21M. Even if the Red Sox are paying him $11M to not even play for them.

Page 2 of 27 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast