Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast

Off-Season Thread

Discuss your off-season strategies

Very small changes. Maybe spend money internationally. If you can move Carp and sign Rendon... fantastic. But, that's nearly impossible.

3B Edman
    2B Wong
    RF Betts
    1B Goldschmidt
    SS DeJong
    C Molina
    LF Carlson
    CF Bader

Bench: Knizner, Munoz, Carpenter, Arozarena, Thomas

Rotation: Flaherty, Bumgarner, Mikolas, Hudson, Waino
    Bullpen: Hicks (June), Gallegos, Miller, Helsley, Cabrera, Brebbia, Gant, Ponce De Leon

Minor league arms: Reyes, Gomber, Fernandez

Sign: Bumgarner: 3 years $51 million
    Trade: Carlos Martinez, Tyler O'Neill, Dexter Fowler for Mookie Betts
    Jose Martinez for a half decent prospect

Quote Originally Posted by Ktblues8 View Post
    3B Edman
    2B Wong
    RF Betts
    1B Goldschmidt
    SS DeJong
    C Molina
    LF Carlson
    CF Bader

Bench: Knizner, Munoz, Carpenter, Arozarena, Thomas

Rotation: Flaherty, Bumgarner, Mikolas, Hudson, Waino
    Bullpen: Hicks (June), Gallegos, Miller, Helsley, Cabrera, Brebbia, Gant, Ponce De Leon

Minor league arms: Reyes, Gomber, Fernandez

Sign: Bumgarner: 3 years $51 million
    Trade: Carlos Martinez, Tyler O'Neill, Dexter Fowler for Mookie Betts
    Jose Martinez for a half decent prospect
    I don't see why the Red Sox would take that package for Betts in any scenario.

Welcome to the board, not trying to be rude at all. But for Betts they are going to want Carlson/Gorman level prospects. Even if it's just one year worth of Betts. Also, that deal has them taking on salary, not shedding it, which is the point of trading him.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffy25 View Post
    I don't see why the Red Sox would take that package for Betts in any scenario.

Welcome to the board, not trying to be rude at all. But for Betts they are going to want Carlson/Gorman level prospects. Even if it's just one year worth of Betts. Also, that deal has them taking on salary, not shedding it, which is the point of trading him.
    I feel like for one year of Betts, Carlos Martinez is a very good haul. I understand that we may have to hold onto Fowler as the Sox want to cut salary. I doubt the Red Sox want any prospect that is more than 1-2 years away (Gorman), but I feel as if Carlos along with some of our surplus outfielders is a good return.

I feel like for one year of Betts, Carlos Martinez is a very good haul. I understand that we may have to hold onto Fowler as the Sox want to cut salary. I doubt the Red Sox want any prospect that is more than 1-2 years away (Gorman), but I feel as if Carlos along with some of our surplus outfielders is a good return.
    I feel like Betts is a 6 win player, who will be paid $20M

That's a $40M surplus in value. That's a top 25 prospect in all of baseball.

Fair enough. I would not want to trade Carlson but would be open to trading Gorman. Besides Betts, are there any other middle of the order outfielders that you think would be available via trade? I see us completing a trade similar to Goldschmidt again as we have so many assets yet few stars

Fair enough. I would not want to trade Carlson but would be open to trading Gorman. Besides Betts, are there any other middle of the order outfielders that you think would be available via trade? I see us completing a trade similar to Goldschmidt again as we have so many assets yet few stars
    I don't see us getting a MOTOB without giving up one of Carlson/Gorman, and I don't think we'll do that.

And I doubt Ozuna will accept the QO, but it's a possibility we should be prepared for.

I honestly think we'll trade for a stop gap outfielder. Someone like David Peralta, Cole Kalhoun, JBJ, etc. Someone that can provide us a year of a stop gap while Carlson, Thomas, Arozarena, etc get closer.

Jorge Soler is one MOTOB that could be available in a trade though. But he's a butcher defensively. We could also sign Nicholas Castellanos, but I'm not a fan of his.

Betts and Lindor will likely be shopped this off-season, but I doubt we match up very well in a trade. This may be a disappointing off-season for Cards fans.

Hope you'll keep posting, we need more active posters on here!

I don't see us getting a MOTOB without giving up one of Carlson/Gorman, and I don't think we'll do that.

And I doubt Ozuna will accept the QO, but it's a possibility we should be prepared for.

I honestly think we'll trade for a stop gap outfielder. Someone like David Peralta, Cole Kalhoun, JBJ, etc. Someone that can provide us a year of a stop gap while Carlson, Thomas, Arozarena, etc get closer.

Jorge Soler is one MOTOB that could be available in a trade though. But he's a butcher defensively. We could also sign Nicholas Castellanos, but I'm not a fan of his.

Betts and Lindor will likely be shopped this off-season, but I doubt we match up very well in a trade. This may be a disappointing off-season for Cards fans.

Hope you'll keep posting, we need more active posters on here!
    Thank you! I will try to remain active.

It's hard to imagine the front office letting this team take a step back after being in the NLCS this year (regardless of how overmatched we were). The Fowler/Carpenter/Cecil contracts are killers for the next 2 years (1 for Cecil). I guess we have to hope and pray MCarp regains some form and can hit .250 with 30 HRs. I am personally fine with going young in the OF and letting Randy A/Bader/O'Neill/Thomas battle for spots.

Thank you! I will try to remain active.

It's hard to imagine the front office letting this team take a step back after being in the NLCS this year (regardless of how overmatched we were). The Fowler/Carpenter/Cecil contracts are killers for the next 2 years (1 for Cecil). I guess we have to hope and pray MCarp regains some form and can hit .250 with 30 HRs. I am personally fine with going young in the OF and letting Randy A/Bader/O'Neill/Thomas battle for spots.
    Me too.

I am happy to let those guys compete, and let guys compete for the 5th spot in the rotation (along with Wainwright, but let Ponce, Gomber, Cabrera, Woodford, etc all compete).

We have some money to spend, but just no obvious moves to make IMO. And I don't see us chasing any of the high priced free agents.

Gorman + DeJong for Lindour

ONeill + Woodford for Brantley

Brantley
    Wong
    Lindour
    Goldie
    Carlson
    Edman
    Molina
    Bader

Knizner
    Fowler
    Carp
    JMart
    Thomas

QB-Lock
    RB-Montgomery
    WR-AJ Brown, Hakeem Butler
    TE-TJ Hockenson
    Edge-Allen
    LB-Devon White, Blake Cashman
    CB-Joejuan Williams
    S-Dieonte Thompson

Quote Originally Posted by rapjuicer06 View Post
    Gorman + DeJong for Lindour

ONeill + Woodford for Brantley

Brantley
    Wong
    Lindour
    Goldie
    Carlson
    Edman
    Molina
    Bader

Knizner
    Fowler
    Carp
    JMart
    Thomas
    I think the Indians would probably take Gorman and DeJong for Lindor, but I don't want that trade. It's a 2-3 win improvement for the next two years probably. But it just doesn't make sense for us long term, and the salary we have to pay Lindor makes other additions really challenging.

I don't see the Astros doing that at all. But I wouldn't object at all. But I see no reason for them to do that.

I think David Peralta and Mike Minor are reasonable and realistic additions for us

Peralta is projected to earn $8.8M in arbitration next year. He makes for a nice stop gap (assuming Ozuna doesn't accept the QO)

He replaces the Ozuna spot in the lineup without much issue, and he's a one year commitment while we prepare for the younger guys to take over the following years.

Tyler O'Neill for Peralta straight up is a fair price. Peralta should give us 2.5 WAR or so, for only $8.8M

Mike Minor makes $9.8M, and he should be worth 4.0 WAR, and he should be worth Elehuri Montero and Junior Fernandez

Then sign Will Smith (3/$45M) to close and supplement the lefty side of things, invite Wainwright back on a similar deal as last year. Be prepared in case Martinez can't start next year, he'd take the job. With guys like Cabrera, Helsley, Gomber, Ponce, etc available to supplement as starters throughout the season.

New roster

C - Molina
    1B - Goldie
    2B - Wong
    SS - DeJong
    3B - Carpenter
    LF - Fowler
    CF - Bader
    RF - Peralta

Bench
    C - Knizner
    1B/OF - Martinez
    OF - Thomas
    Util - Edman

Position Player WAR - 26.5

Rotation
    1. Flaherty
    2. Martinez
    3. Minor
    4. Hudson
    5. Mikolas

Rotation WAR - 17.0

Bullpen
    Long - Wainwright
    R - Ponce de Leon
    R - Brebbia
    R - Gant
    L - Miller
    L - Webb
    R - Helsley
    Closer - Will Smith

Bullpen WAR - 5.5

Total team win projection - 96.0

That is the full $185M of the team.

Minor, Peralta, Molina, Miller all come off the books after next year, and then Carpenter and Fowler, along with Wong the following year. Lot's of available money to spend in the future seasons, and we kept our top prospects in the fold and we should be the favorites to win the division again.

I think this is the sort of direction I would pursue. It doesn't sacrifice our long term, keeps spots open for young performers to take jobs (like Carlson, Bader, Arozarena, Gomber, Ponce, Cabrera, etc). And we want to see them steal jobs. Keeps our depth, makes us the favorites for next year, stays inside the budget, and are realistic moves with other teams.

Also, it's adding 3 lefties to the roster lol. And Peralta is a former Cardinal That D'Backs team would be a full roster of former Cardinals, sheesh (Weaver, Kelly, O'Neill, etc)

I think the Indians would probably take Gorman and DeJong for Lindor, but I don't want that trade. It's a 2-3 win improvement for the next two years probably. But it just doesn't make sense for us long term, and the salary we have to pay Lindor makes other additions really challenging.

I don't see the Astros doing that at all. But I wouldn't object at all. But I see no reason for them to do that.

I think David Peralta and Mike Minor are reasonable and realistic additions for us

Peralta is projected to earn $8.8M in arbitration next year. He makes for a nice stop gap (assuming Ozuna doesn't accept the QO)

He replaces the Ozuna spot in the lineup without much issue, and he's a one year commitment while we prepare for the younger guys to take over the following years.

Tyler O'Neill for Peralta straight up is a fair price. Peralta should give us 2.5 WAR or so, for only $8.8M

Mike Minor makes $9.8M, and he should be worth 4.0 WAR, and he should be worth Elehuri Montero and Junior Fernandez

Then sign Will Smith (3/$45M) to close and supplement the lefty side of things, invite Wainwright back on a similar deal as last year. Be prepared in case Martinez can't start next year, he'd take the job. With guys like Cabrera, Helsley, Gomber, Ponce, etc available to supplement as starters throughout the season.

New roster

C - Molina
    1B - Goldie
    2B - Wong
    SS - DeJong
    3B - Carpenter
    LF - Fowler
    CF - Bader
    RF - Peralta

Bench
    C - Knizner
    1B/OF - Martinez
    OF - Thomas
    Util - Edman

Position Player WAR - 26.5

Rotation
    1. Flaherty
    2. Martinez
    3. Minor
    4. Hudson
    5. Mikolas

Rotation WAR - 17.0

Bullpen
    Long - Wainwright
    R - Ponce de Leon
    R - Brebbia
    R - Gant
    L - Miller
    L - Webb
    R - Helsley
    Closer - Will Smith

Bullpen WAR - 5.5

Total team win projection - 96.0

That is the full $185M of the team.

Minor, Peralta, Molina, Miller all come off the books after next year, and then Carpenter and Fowler, along with Wong the following year. Lot's of available money to spend in the future seasons, and we kept our top prospects in the fold and we should be the favorites to win the division again.

I think this is the sort of direction I would pursue. It doesn't sacrifice our long term, keeps spots open for young performers to take jobs (like Carlson, Bader, Arozarena, Gomber, Ponce, Cabrera, etc). And we want to see them steal jobs. Keeps our depth, makes us the favorites for next year, stays inside the budget, and are realistic moves with other teams.

Also, it's adding 3 lefties to the roster lol. And Peralta is a former Cardinal That D'Backs team would be a full roster of former Cardinals, sheesh (Weaver, Kelly, O'Neill, etc)
    You just described a reason why to get Lindor - Wong, Carp, Fowler coming off the books, ton of money to keep Lindor.
    Last edited by rapjuicer06; 10-30-2019 at 11:07 PM.

QB-Lock
    RB-Montgomery
    WR-AJ Brown, Hakeem Butler
    TE-TJ Hockenson
    Edge-Allen
    LB-Devon White, Blake Cashman
    CB-Joejuan Williams
    S-Dieonte Thompson

Sign Cole or Strassburg (being the nats are looking at 60 million or more to retain both of them he and Rendon)

Trade Fowler and prospect for Blackmon. Roll the dice. If Blackmon hits, hes an improvement over fowler here and you can bat him pretty much anywhere.

Im not a huge fan of it but Gorman and prospect for Kleuber and Ramirez if you miss on the free agent starters, including MadBum in which I wouldnt break the bank on.

If you do the trade with the Indians that I just mentioned, you have to sign one of Springer/Betts next winter. Literally the only excuse not to is they turned down our offer of most money and most AAV because they just didnt want to be here.

Dont want Kleuber. Cool. Im pulling Gorman out of the deal in a straight up for Ramirez because thats just not worth it.

Quote Originally Posted by rapjuicer06 View Post
    You just described a reason why to get Lindor - Wong, Carp, Fowler coming off the books, ton of money to keep Lindor.
    If you can get Lindor, then I'd be all over trading DeJong, even if DeJong's salary made sense.

But if that's the case, keep your players, and just sign him in free agency in two years.

Dude is gonna be a $35M player though.

But if you can get him to extend, that would change things. But I think he wants to be in a big market.

Also, we have to be able to afford a team around the stars. Can't have a stars and scrubs roster.
    Last edited by Jeffy25; 10-31-2019 at 12:22 AM.

Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast