Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 39 of 41 FirstFirst ... 293738394041 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Obabikon View Post
    Itís freaking horrible, but Iím sure nothing like child birth.
    I've heard

Mikolas is officially shut down the next 3-4 weeks. Thats a bummer. Glad we have some depth though. This all but guarantees Martinez is in the rotation (if healthy) which i like.

I thought about it but no need since there is no chance for us to have another after the wife had the female version of the big V done.

Agreed as long as Martinez is healthy he's gotta be in. The thing that scares me is the late inning relief situations such as closing games out. It's a roll of the dice either way no matter who is out there.

I'm ready to get a couple weeks into spring trainings so we can see how Reyes is looking. He might be an x-factor for the bullpen or even rotation still.

So Mikolas is going to start the regular season on the IL. Not great news, but it certainly opens a spot.

Do the new rules make lefties less valuable? Is Kim in the rotation or pen?

I'm going to say this puts Kim into the rotation.

1. Flaherty
    2. Hudson
    3. Martinez
    4. Wainwright
    5. Kim

I like the idea of having a lefty in the rotation for sure. Just hopefully everyone else holds up.

I think this puts Kim in the rotation

I think OD it's

1. Flaherty
    2. Martinez
    3. Hudson
    4. Wainwright
    5. Kim

Long man - Ponce
    R - Brebbia
    R - Gant
    R - Fernandez
    L - Miller
    L - Webb or Cecil possibly
    R - Reyes
    R - Gallegos

Gomber, Woodford, Helsley, Cabrera, and Sanchez in AAA rotation, though Helsley might be in the bullpen

That's my guess any way. If nobody gets hurt, and Mikolas returns, then Ponce or Fernandez is likely sent down.

Our rotation and bullpen depth is probably our teams greatest strength. So as long as Flaherty sticks around, we should be okay on that side of things.

Interesting that the Cubs are already announcing that Bryant is going to be their leadoff hitter this year... with Rizzo batting 2nd.

I was looking over some stats, and noticed that Lance Lynn had an amazing season last year!

Flaherty was obviously an ace. Most people are putting him in the top 10 pitchers in baseball. He had an impressive WAR of 5.9 in 196 ip

Lynn had an amazing 7.6 WAR. He really only threw 13 more ip. He threw in the AL...

I'm not really sure how, that happened, as Flaherty is superior in almost every single stat.

Who would have thought that Lance Lynn, Shelby Miller, Jaime Garcia, Marco Gonzalez, Michael Wacha....

Out of all of those guys... 4 years later, Lynn is the one who is an ace.

Yeah Lance Lynn put a solid season together for sure!

I was looking over some stats, and noticed that Lance Lynn had an amazing season last year!

Flaherty was obviously an ace. Most people are putting him in the top 10 pitchers in baseball. He had an impressive WAR of 5.9 in 196 ip

Lynn had an amazing 7.6 WAR. He really only threw 13 more ip. He threw in the AL...

I'm not really sure how, that happened, as Flaherty is superior in almost every single stat.

Who would have thought that Lance Lynn, Shelby Miller, Jaime Garcia, Marco Gonzalez, Michael Wacha....

Out of all of those guys... 4 years later, Lynn is the one who is an ace.
    It's because of the league and park for Lynn last year, Mike Minor had a similar set up.

It was, as a pitcher last year, insanely difficult to prevent runs in Texas.

If you want a breakdown, I can give you one, but basically both Minor and Lynn suppressed runs in such an insanely difficult park and situation to do that, that it was literally that impressive.

Lynn's neutralized ERA was 2.68, Minor was 2.60, Flaherty btw, was 2.30

https://www.baseball-reference.com/l...pitching.shtml

I can break it down if you like sometime, but basically, it was nearly impossible to pitch in that environment last year.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffy25 View Post
    It's because of the league and park for Lynn last year, Mike Minor had a similar set up.

It was, as a pitcher last year, insanely difficult to prevent runs in Texas.

If you want a breakdown, I can give you one, but basically both Minor and Lynn suppressed runs in such an insanely difficult park and situation to do that, that it was literally that impressive.

Lynn's neutralized ERA was 2.68, Minor was 2.60, Flaherty btw, was 2.30

https://www.baseball-reference.com/l...pitching.shtml

I can break it down if you like sometime, but basically, it was nearly impossible to pitch in that environment last year.
    Oh... I assumed it was mostly because he was in a pitcher's park. However... that's an enormous gap. Even neutralized, Flaherty was .38 runs better... but nearly 2 WAR behind.

Oh... I assumed it was mostly because he was in a pitcher's park. However... that's an enormous gap. Even neutralized, Flaherty was .38 runs better... but nearly 2 WAR behind.
    Texas is a hitters park, Busch is a slight pitchers park.

The overall hitting in Texas (both teams) hit .270/.341/.462
    While the overall hitting in St. Louis (both teams) hit .238/.313/.390

The overall ERA in Texas this year was 5.24
    At Busch, it was 3.92

That would make Lynn's ERA compared to his park of 3.67 a 1.57 rate better
    While Flaherty's 2.75 ERA is only 1.17 better than his park

Then you have the opponents

Lynn faced Oakland and Houston 4 times each, the Yankees twice, Indians twice, etc
    Flaherty didn't face the quality of opponents that Lynn did over the course of the season.

It's just something that WAR accounts for that you don't see in the traditional stats

It's just different
    If Lynn starts a game in Texas against the Astros and goes 7 innings and allows 2 runs, that's more impressive than if Flaherty is facing the Pirates at home and goes 7 innings and allows 1 run.

It would have been interesting to see if Lynn had that season in a different environment

It all makes sense. Quality of opponent apparently does not work itself out over time. Plus pitching in the AL is more difficult.

Page 39 of 41 FirstFirst ... 293738394041 LastLast