Like us on Facebook


Follow us on Twitter





Page 39 of 41 FirstFirst ... 293738394041 LastLast
Results 571 to 585 of 601
  1. #571
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    57,258
    Quote Originally Posted by Obabikon View Post
    Itís freaking horrible, but Iím sure nothing like child birth.
    I've heard

  2. #572
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Illinois
    Posts
    10,381
    Mikolas is officially shut down the next 3-4 weeks. Thats a bummer. Glad we have some depth though. This all but guarantees Martinez is in the rotation (if healthy) which i like.

  3. #573
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    NW Illinois
    Posts
    6,283
    I thought about it but no need since there is no chance for us to have another after the wife had the female version of the big V done.

    Agreed as long as Martinez is healthy he's gotta be in. The thing that scares me is the late inning relief situations such as closing games out. It's a roll of the dice either way no matter who is out there.

  4. #574
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Illinois
    Posts
    10,381
    I'm ready to get a couple weeks into spring trainings so we can see how Reyes is looking. He might be an x-factor for the bullpen or even rotation still.

  5. #575
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Posts
    2,002
    So Mikolas is going to start the regular season on the IL. Not great news, but it certainly opens a spot.


    Do the new rules make lefties less valuable? Is Kim in the rotation or pen?

  6. #576
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    NW Illinois
    Posts
    6,283
    I'm going to say this puts Kim into the rotation.

    1. Flaherty
    2. Hudson
    3. Martinez
    4. Wainwright
    5. Kim

    I like the idea of having a lefty in the rotation for sure. Just hopefully everyone else holds up.

  7. #577
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    57,258
    I think this puts Kim in the rotation

    I think OD it's

    1. Flaherty
    2. Martinez
    3. Hudson
    4. Wainwright
    5. Kim

    Long man - Ponce
    R - Brebbia
    R - Gant
    R - Fernandez
    L - Miller
    L - Webb or Cecil possibly
    R - Reyes
    R - Gallegos


    Gomber, Woodford, Helsley, Cabrera, and Sanchez in AAA rotation, though Helsley might be in the bullpen

    That's my guess any way. If nobody gets hurt, and Mikolas returns, then Ponce or Fernandez is likely sent down.

  8. #578
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    57,258
    Our rotation and bullpen depth is probably our teams greatest strength. So as long as Flaherty sticks around, we should be okay on that side of things.

  9. #579
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Posts
    2,002
    Interesting that the Cubs are already announcing that Bryant is going to be their leadoff hitter this year... with Rizzo batting 2nd.

  10. #580
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Posts
    2,002
    I was looking over some stats, and noticed that Lance Lynn had an amazing season last year!

    Flaherty was obviously an ace. Most people are putting him in the top 10 pitchers in baseball. He had an impressive WAR of 5.9 in 196 ip


    Lynn had an amazing 7.6 WAR. He really only threw 13 more ip. He threw in the AL...


    I'm not really sure how, that happened, as Flaherty is superior in almost every single stat.


    Who would have thought that Lance Lynn, Shelby Miller, Jaime Garcia, Marco Gonzalez, Michael Wacha....

    Out of all of those guys... 4 years later, Lynn is the one who is an ace.

  11. #581
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    NW Illinois
    Posts
    6,283
    Yeah Lance Lynn put a solid season together for sure!

  12. #582
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    57,258
    Quote Originally Posted by Obabikon View Post
    I was looking over some stats, and noticed that Lance Lynn had an amazing season last year!

    Flaherty was obviously an ace. Most people are putting him in the top 10 pitchers in baseball. He had an impressive WAR of 5.9 in 196 ip


    Lynn had an amazing 7.6 WAR. He really only threw 13 more ip. He threw in the AL...


    I'm not really sure how, that happened, as Flaherty is superior in almost every single stat.


    Who would have thought that Lance Lynn, Shelby Miller, Jaime Garcia, Marco Gonzalez, Michael Wacha....

    Out of all of those guys... 4 years later, Lynn is the one who is an ace.
    It's because of the league and park for Lynn last year, Mike Minor had a similar set up.

    It was, as a pitcher last year, insanely difficult to prevent runs in Texas.

    If you want a breakdown, I can give you one, but basically both Minor and Lynn suppressed runs in such an insanely difficult park and situation to do that, that it was literally that impressive.

    Lynn's neutralized ERA was 2.68, Minor was 2.60, Flaherty btw, was 2.30

    https://www.baseball-reference.com/l...pitching.shtml

    I can break it down if you like sometime, but basically, it was nearly impossible to pitch in that environment last year.

  13. #583
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Posts
    2,002
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeffy25 View Post
    It's because of the league and park for Lynn last year, Mike Minor had a similar set up.

    It was, as a pitcher last year, insanely difficult to prevent runs in Texas.

    If you want a breakdown, I can give you one, but basically both Minor and Lynn suppressed runs in such an insanely difficult park and situation to do that, that it was literally that impressive.

    Lynn's neutralized ERA was 2.68, Minor was 2.60, Flaherty btw, was 2.30

    https://www.baseball-reference.com/l...pitching.shtml

    I can break it down if you like sometime, but basically, it was nearly impossible to pitch in that environment last year.
    Oh... I assumed it was mostly because he was in a pitcher's park. However... that's an enormous gap. Even neutralized, Flaherty was .38 runs better... but nearly 2 WAR behind.

  14. #584
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    57,258
    Quote Originally Posted by Obabikon View Post
    Oh... I assumed it was mostly because he was in a pitcher's park. However... that's an enormous gap. Even neutralized, Flaherty was .38 runs better... but nearly 2 WAR behind.
    Texas is a hitters park, Busch is a slight pitchers park.

    The overall hitting in Texas (both teams) hit .270/.341/.462
    While the overall hitting in St. Louis (both teams) hit .238/.313/.390

    The overall ERA in Texas this year was 5.24
    At Busch, it was 3.92

    That would make Lynn's ERA compared to his park of 3.67 a 1.57 rate better
    While Flaherty's 2.75 ERA is only 1.17 better than his park

    Then you have the opponents

    Lynn faced Oakland and Houston 4 times each, the Yankees twice, Indians twice, etc
    Flaherty didn't face the quality of opponents that Lynn did over the course of the season.

    It's just something that WAR accounts for that you don't see in the traditional stats

    It's just different
    If Lynn starts a game in Texas against the Astros and goes 7 innings and allows 2 runs, that's more impressive than if Flaherty is facing the Pirates at home and goes 7 innings and allows 1 run.

    It would have been interesting to see if Lynn had that season in a different environment

  15. #585
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Posts
    2,002
    It all makes sense. Quality of opponent apparently does not work itself out over time. Plus pitching in the AL is more difficult.

Page 39 of 41 FirstFirst ... 293738394041 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •