Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeffy25 View Post
    Woodford, Montero, and Shrock will need to be added to the 40 man in order to be protected from the Rule V. I would assume all 3 will be.

We have 37 on the 40 man if we assume all the 60 day IL guys (Hicks, Cecil) will need to be protected as well.

If those 3 are added, and nobody is removed, and nobody else is added, then we wouldn't have any room to draft anyone or collect a DFA player.

Obviously some guys will get removed for free agency signings and other moves. Wainwright will also need to be added.

Guys out of options that can be removed through DFA

Rangel Ravelo
    John Gant (non-tender candidate)
    Tyler webb
    Dominic Leone (non-tender candidate)
    Brett Cecil?
    Edmundo Sosa

I think Leone and Ravelo are the most likely to get DFA'd
    I think Leone is a goner for sure

Quote Originally Posted by Obabikon View Post
    I just read an article that projected Ozuna to sign for 3 years 45mil.

If that's the case... I certainly want them to go ahead and sign him.
    I don't. A 106 OPS+ left fielder at $15M per year? Pass.

I don't. A 106 OPS+ left fielder at $15M per year? Pass.
    His secondary stats (like exit velocity) says his ops+ should be much higher. He's also been fighting some nagging injuries. He has potential of being 130 ops+ for the next 3 years.

Let me give you guys a few off-season strategies, tell me which one's you like better

Under each scenario, we'll assume the same things

1. Wainwright back on a similar deal ($2M/$8M in incentives)
    2. Flaherty extended in the spring - 7 years- $80M range
    3. John Gant is brought back for $1.3M, Leone Non-tendered
    4. Cecil likely sitting on the IL all year or outright released
    5. That Knizner is the backup catcher all year
    6. I expect Payroll to reach around $185M
    7. That major trades for someone like Betts or Lindor are unlikely to work

Option 1. No trades, just two free agent signings. I am taking AAV's based on MLBTR's free agent prediction

Sign Cole Hamels - 1 year, $15M
    Sign Corey Dickerson - 1 year, $7.5M
    I did state both players at 1 year deals under this scenario.

That puts us a little bit over budget, by about $2.7M. I figure that's not too much to ask of ownership

C - Molina
    1B - Goldie
    2B - Wong
    SS - DeJong
    3B - Carpenter
    LF - Dickerson
    CF - Bader
    RF - Fowler

Bench
    Util - Edman
    1B/OF/PH - Martinez
    OF - Thomas
    C - Knizner

Rotation
    1. Flaherty
    2. Hamels
    3. Mikolas
    4. Hudson
    5. Wainwright

Bullpen
    Long - Ponce
    R - Brebbia
    R - Gant
    R - Gallegos
    R - Helsley
    L - Webb
    L - Miller
    Closer - Martinez

Depending on WAR values, I have us at 87.5 wins (so 4 wins in either direction should be expected - 83-92)

The value of option 1 is that we didn't trade away anybody, maintain our flexibility and can easily make deadline additions to improve the roster.

The negative is that we are pushing against the salary maximum, and if Wainwright hits his incentives, we will be over budget by about $10M, which I would assume ownership would want to make up in future seasons.

Option 2

1. Trade Jake Woodford, Randy Arozarena, and Ramon Urias for Jorge Soler, extend him 5/$70M
    2. Sign Will Smith for 3/$45M

I have this team at $190M in payroll, and 89 wins. We could backload Soler and Smith's deals a little to make the budget work though. And this means Carlos Martinez is in the rotation, and we are carrying 3 lefties in the bullpen.

Option 3
    Find a way to pull off a Dexter Fowler for Wil Myers swap netting us some prospects in the go between.

Maybe something like Dexter Fowler and Carlos Martinez to the Padres for Wil Myers, Luis Patino, and Xavier Edwards. I have no idea if the Padres would take this deal, but it does line up as a fair trade, Fowler would have to waive his NTC, and we'd have Myers unfortunately for 3 years at $65M

Then sign Cole Hamels for 1/$15M
    and Sign Will Smith for 3/$45M

Payroll is now only $169.3M, and that's with Hamels and Smith. We could front load Smith's offer at $25,15,5, putting payroll around $180M, and then have more flexibility in the future seasons, specially in the year where Myers contract is burdensome, and we are still within budget and can pay Wainwright his incentives and remain under budget.

That is an 86.5 win team, but it has two very good prospects, and has Lane Thomas/Randy Arozarena/Dylan Carlson an opening to play everyday.

Option 4
    Re-sign Ozuna, and roll with this team another year.

Of those options, option 1 is the most appealing to me. Soler does not seem to be a great fit as his defense is below average and management seems to be making a big push on prioritizing defense.

My choice would be:
    Sign Hamels 1/$15M or a similar pitcher (would be ok w a more substantial commitment to MadBum) - allows Martinez to remain in the bullpen or push Hudson/Waino for that last spot.
    Trade Fowler and O'Neill (or another prospect) to Angels or Giants for a low level prospect ($33/2years is not terrible for the value he provided last year).

Lineup: Edman RF, Wong 2B, Goldy 1B, Carpenter 3B, DeJong SS, Molina C, Thomas LF, Bader CF.
    Bench: Knizner, Munoz, Arozarena, J. Martinez, Sosa
    Rotation: Flaherty, Mikolas, Hamels, Hudson, Waino
    Bullpen: Martinez (CL), Gallegos, Miller, Helsley, Webb, Gant, Ponce De Leon

Minors rotation depth: G. Cabrera, J. Fernandez, Gomber

I like any plan where Fowler is moved for a bucket of balls as long as we also get major salary relief.

I also want Wieters back no matter what. Knizner getting full time AB's in AAA is important IMO

Quote Originally Posted by Tkais9009 View Post
    I like any plan where Fowler is moved for a bucket of balls as long as we also get major salary relief.

I also want Wieters back no matter what. Knizner getting full time AB's in AAA is important IMO
    What if the only way you can move Fowler is to take on another bad contract?

So it's $5M guaranteed, and $5M in incentives.

That puts us at $161M, and $166M budgeted....out of about $185M in spending ability.

So probably another $19M they can spend.

What if the only way you can move Fowler is to take on another bad contract?
    Eh, Iíd probably just keep him if thatís the case. There arenít many bad contracts out there that Iíd want over Fowler. I donít think Fowler is THAT bad, I would just like to get his money back.
    Last edited by Tkais9009; 11-12-2019 at 11:16 PM.

If Martinez isnt in the starting rotation, I dont want anything to do with him.

QB-Lock
    RB-Montgomery
    WR-AJ Brown, Hakeem Butler
    TE-TJ Hockenson
    Edge-Allen
    LB-Devon White, Blake Cashman
    CB-Joejuan Williams
    S-Dieonte Thompson

Congrats to Schildt on winning NL manager of the year!

Quote Originally Posted by Tkais9009 View Post
    Eh, Iíd probably just keep him if thatís the case. There arenít many bad contracts out there that Iíd want over Fowler. I donít think Fowler is THAT bad, I would just like to get his money back.
    I completely agree. Fowler's contract is not an awful contract in itself. The reason it is bad is that he is blocking the potential for playing time to our younger prospects.

Quote Originally Posted by rapjuicer06 View Post
    If Martinez isnt in the starting rotation, I dont want anything to do with him.
    Agreed

same. he's not built for the bullpen

Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast