Like us on Facebook


Follow us on Twitter





Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast
Results 121 to 135 of 174
  1. #121
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Posts
    1,815
    Does that mean they're big on Seijas or low on him?

  2. #122
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    56,808
    Quote Originally Posted by Obabikon View Post
    Does that mean they're big on Seijas or low on him?
    I'd say big, big enough they don't want to lose him.

  3. #123
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Posts
    1,815
    This always confuses me... don't they simply need to boost him a level to protect him? Like start him in AA?

  4. #124
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Illinois
    Posts
    10,321
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeffy25 View Post
    I'd say big, big enough they don't want to lose him.
    Yeah this is definitely a ringing endorsement for the kid

  5. #125
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    midwest
    Posts
    31,675
    I hate that I keep reading Bader will be in CF with Fowler in RF.

    Oneill in Left, Randy A in CF with Thomas in RF is what I want to see. Give this kids a chance.
    2019

    QB-Lock
    RB-Montgomery
    WR-AJ Brown, Hakeem Butler
    TE-TJ Hockenson
    Edge-Allen
    LB-Devon White, Blake Cashman
    CB-Joejuan Williams
    S-Dieonte Thompson

  6. #126
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    56,808
    Quote Originally Posted by rapjuicer06 View Post
    I hate that I keep reading Bader will be in CF with Fowler in RF.

    Oneill in Left, Randy A in CF with Thomas in RF is what I want to see. Give this kids a chance.
    That sounds like an outfield waiting to fail.

    What I would be doing.

    LF - Thomas, O'Neill and Arozarena fighting for the top spot of playing time. Rotating based on performances. Best performer plays. Chances are, only one of them is any good, one of them is replacement level, and the other needs to be in the minors/won't be any good/will get hurt

    CF - Bader needs a steady diet of daily playing time. He's the same age as Thomas, Arozarena, and O'Neill and has accomplished so much more and is way better defensively. I want to sink or swim with him until middle of July and see how things are looking. Let him play everyday, let his defense carry him, and see what offense he can produce. Then, make some assessments based on what we know then, then. We haven't seen enough to judge him yet, and he hasn't really had any opportunities yet to just be the everyday guy. Look what happened with Wong when he finally got that opportunity (Wong is a regression candidate btw, but it was still a good season).

    RF - Fowler, is the vet. He may not be great, but he is stable. He should give us a 100 wRC+, average defense in right. With so many young players going for broke, it's nice to have someone you can rely on to be stable, play everyday, and can count on to not be horrific. He won't be costing us games, but he won't be winning us games either.

    Then, when Carlson is ready, probably June because of service time, he takes over right, and we assess what else we do when we know more.

    So my OD outfield

    LF - Thomas/Arozarena/ or O'Neill - winner in ST gets the job
    CF - Bader
    RF - Fowler

    Carlson will eventually take over right, and whoever the two best players are between Thomas, Arozarena, O'Neill, Bader and Fowler are will be playing in August and September in left and center.

  7. #127
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    56,808
    Quote Originally Posted by Obabikon View Post
    This always confuses me... don't they simply need to boost him a level to protect him? Like start him in AA?
    No, he has to be on the 40 man roster to be protected.

    You only get to be controlled by a team so long in the minor leagues (it's 5 years for players who signed a professional contract before their 19th birthday, and 4 if after their 19th birthday). After those 5 years, if the team doesn't put you on the 40 man roster, then you can taken in the Rule V draft. If you are taken in the Rule V draft, then the acquiring team has to keep you on their 25 man MLB roster for the entire next season, pay the team losing the player $100,000 and the player has to remain active for at least 90 days. If not, they have to return the player and $50K to the team that lost the player. The player can go to the IL though, but there are also restrictions how long they can do that as well (at least 90 MLB active days required, so you can't draft and stash a TJ prospect for example).

    So Seijas would have been Rule V eligible in the draft if he wasn't placed on the 40 man roster. They'll also be using an option him next year if he doesn't play the entire year in the big leagues. They get 3 option years on these players to demote them to the minor leagues. So they can demote him (whether after ST or even during the regular season) in 2020, 2021, and 2022. But after 2022, they'd have to DFA him from the 40 man in order to retain the player and not carry him on the big league roster.

    There is also a minor league Rule V draft phase, but I'm not really sure how that one works.

    Look at John Gant as an example.

    He was drafted 6/7/2011 by the Mets.
    Mets traded him to the Braves on 7/24/2015 for Kelly Johnson and Juan Uribe
    He was added to the 40 man on 11/19/2015
    He had finished 5 years of minor league control, and would need to be protected. He does not have to be called up to the big leagues, but they are using a MLB option year on him regardless in 2016.
    In 2016, the Braves did call him up. One option has been used regardless.
    On 12/1/2016, we traded for him in the Jaime Garcia trade, he had 2 option years left
    In 2017 he pitched between AAA and the MLB, using his second option
    In 2018, he pitched between AAA and the MLB, using his final option
    In 2019, he pitched all year in the big leagues.

    We can not send John Gant back to the minor leagues at this point without taking him off the 40 man roster, which is considered designating him for assignment, meaning any other team that wants him on their 25 man roster could claim him and just take him for free.

    So we have to stick with him on the 25 man roster at this point, but for the first three years after us and the Braves had him, we could pass him back and forth between the MLB and the minor leagues, but he had to remain on the 40 man because of the Rule V eligibility he had reached by being in the minors for 5 years.

    Once you've made the 40 man roster, you are using an option every year.

    Yairo Muno for example, is out of options
    He was added at the end of the 2016 season, so he had an option used in each 2017, 2018, and 2019. He can not be sent to the minor leagues next year, without being DFA'd. In which case, no other team would be able to put a claim on him. If nobody did, he could either elect to be a free agent, or take the minor league assignment.

    With Sejias, they are worried enough that some other team would take a flyer on him and stuff him on their 25 man roster and carry him all year in order to keep him.

    Cards lost a few good prospects a few years ago because they didn't protect them. Fortunately, none of them have panned out. But they were certainly surprised. We lost Allen Cordoba to the Padres and Luis Perdomo to the Rockies in back to back years (Perdomo would be purchased by the Padres from the Rockies same day).

    Both are still with the Padres today, Perdomo is just a middle reliever who takes up a roster spot, Corodoba isn't a really inspiring prospect right now, but they would have liked to have kept both if they could, and develop them along.
    Last edited by Jeffy25; 11-22-2019 at 02:51 PM.

  8. #128
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    midwest
    Posts
    31,675
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeffy25 View Post
    That sounds like an outfield waiting to fail.

    What I would be doing.

    LF - Thomas, O'Neill and Arozarena fighting for the top spot of playing time. Rotating based on performances. Best performer plays. Chances are, only one of them is any good, one of them is replacement level, and the other needs to be in the minors/won't be any good/will get hurt

    CF - Bader needs a steady diet of daily playing time. He's the same age as Thomas, Arozarena, and O'Neill and has accomplished so much more and is way better defensively. I want to sink or swim with him until middle of July and see how things are looking. Let him play everyday, let his defense carry him, and see what offense he can produce. Then, make some assessments based on what we know then, then. We haven't seen enough to judge him yet, and he hasn't really had any opportunities yet to just be the everyday guy. Look what happened with Wong when he finally got that opportunity (Wong is a regression candidate btw, but it was still a good season).

    RF - Fowler, is the vet. He may not be great, but he is stable. He should give us a 100 wRC+, average defense in right. With so many young players going for broke, it's nice to have someone you can rely on to be stable, play everyday, and can count on to not be horrific. He won't be costing us games, but he won't be winning us games either.

    Then, when Carlson is ready, probably June because of service time, he takes over right, and we assess what else we do when we know more.

    So my OD outfield

    LF - Thomas/Arozarena/ or O'Neill - winner in ST gets the job
    CF - Bader
    RF - Fowler

    Carlson will eventually take over right, and whoever the two best players are between Thomas, Arozarena, O'Neill, Bader and Fowler are will be playing in August and September in left and center.
    Next year is going to be a bust year. Folwer is terrible, Bader cant hit. We dont have a guy in LF. Take a year, see what we have. Carlson will eventually take RF. See if Oneill can play, same with Thomas and Randy. We know what Bader provides. Defense. Folwer provides nothing.

    Let them sink or swim. Maybe we have something in one of them, and then Carlson. To me, it's a no lose deal
    2019

    QB-Lock
    RB-Montgomery
    WR-AJ Brown, Hakeem Butler
    TE-TJ Hockenson
    Edge-Allen
    LB-Devon White, Blake Cashman
    CB-Joejuan Williams
    S-Dieonte Thompson

  9. #129
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    56,808
    Quote Originally Posted by rapjuicer06 View Post
    Next year is going to be a bust year. Folwer is terrible, Bader cant hit. We dont have a guy in LF. Take a year, see what we have. Carlson will eventually take RF. See if Oneill can play, same with Thomas and Randy. We know what Bader provides. Defense. Folwer provides nothing.

    Let them sink or swim. Maybe we have something in one of them, and then Carlson. To me, it's a no lose deal
    We have probably 1.5 wins in Fowler, and 3 wins in Bader. That isn't much, but you want to see if one of those 3 leftfielders can give you 2 wins also. And have Carlson's eventual 2-5 win caliber shine through in right.

  10. #130
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    midwest
    Posts
    31,675
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeffy25 View Post
    We have probably 1.5 wins in Fowler, and 3 wins in Bader. That isn't much, but you want to see if one of those 3 leftfielders can give you 2 wins also. And have Carlson's eventual 2-5 win caliber shine through in right.
    I want to see if ONeill can play. I also want to see if Randy or Thomas can play. If one of those 3 can play and put them with Carlson and Bader (who gives you defense and next to nothing else) I think it's worth it. Bader/Thomas/Randy/ONeill - they should be getting every opportunity
    2019

    QB-Lock
    RB-Montgomery
    WR-AJ Brown, Hakeem Butler
    TE-TJ Hockenson
    Edge-Allen
    LB-Devon White, Blake Cashman
    CB-Joejuan Williams
    S-Dieonte Thompson

  11. #131
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    56,808
    Looks like the Cardinals have Martinez come in once a month throughout this off-season to monitor his progress toward being a starter in 2020, and they are planning on him being a starter.

    So the assumed rotation for 2020 is set (barring some last minute surprise by Martinez)

    1. Flaherty
    2. Martinez
    3. Mikolas
    4. Hudson
    5. Wainwright

    And that also indicates they will likely be acquiring a reliever of some sort (I'm going to guess through a trade)

    Then, the next four up to fill injuries will likely be in order

    1. Ponce de Leon
    2. Gomber
    3. Helsley
    4. Cabrera
    5. Woodford
    6. Reyes

    Reyes and Helsley are huge wild cards though, because both might make more sense in the bullpen, and Cabrera himself might be more valuable this year in the pen as well. But I expect at least some combo of 4 of those 6 to make a big league start in 2020.

    I also think they are going with this strategy in the outfield this year

    RF - Fowler (until mid June or so when Carlson could force a change)
    CF - Bader (until around mid July, depends on his hitting)
    LF - 3 way competition - Thomas, O'Neill, Arozarna - Best performer in Spring starts in left, second is the 4th outfielder, and third starts the season in Memphis with Carlson

    Carpenter will likely be the OD 3B, and Edman will likely be playing everyday somewhere.

    So that means the $15ishM they have available to potentially spend, I don't think they will spend it anywhere other than on a Flaherty extension and maybe a middle reliever (unless acquired via trade)

    Gonna be a very slow off-season boys, buckle up.

  12. #132
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    56,808
    I'm going to make a run at the OD roster

    C - Molina
    1B - Goldschmidt
    2B - Wong
    SS - DeJong
    3B - Carpenter
    LF - Thomas
    CF - Bader
    RF - Fowler

    Bench
    C - A Wieters like vet backup for cheap
    PH - Martinez
    Util - Edman
    OF - Arozarena
    IF - Munoz

    Minor leaguers with options
    C - Knizner
    PH - Ravelo (assuming he clears waivers)
    2B - Urias
    3B - Montero
    SS - Sosa
    LF/RF - O'Neill
    LF/RF - Williams
    RF - Garcia (assuming he clears waivers)

    Rotation
    1. Flaherty
    2. Martinez
    3. Mikolas
    4. Hudson
    5. Wainwright

    Bullpen
    Long - Ponce de Leon
    R - Brebbia
    R - Gant
    R - Helsley
    L - Webb
    L - Miller
    Setup - Gallegos
    Closer - acquired through free agency or trade

    Minor leaguers with options
    Rotation
    1. Gomber
    2. Cabrera
    3. Woodford
    4. Reyes
    5. Seijas

    Relievers
    R - Fenandez
    (all of the above can go to the bullpen)
    R - Elledge we will probably see at some point in 2020.

    Cecil - released
    Hicks - back June/July range

    That puts us at at $167.30 before we acquire that closer. We have to assume Wainwright hits his options, so that puts us at $172.30M (if he doesn't, then you acquire a starter who has about $5M left on his deal for the remainder of 2020 at the deadline). Meaning, we have about $13M to spend. Assume Flaherty gets an extension end of February that gives him $3M in 2020, leaves $10M for a closer to be acquired.

    I can see some other minor 40 man moves. Ravelo is out of options, Munoz probably takes the 26th man spot considering he is out of options as well. We could stand to have another lefty. Will Smith really would have been that guy, but he's already taken.

    I have us down as a 91 win team with this roster (43.0 WAR). So about 3 wins up or down from there should be expected (assuming a 1.5 WAR closer is acquired)

    Some options are
    Daniel Hudson, Craig Stammen, Steve Cishek, Dellin Betances, Pedro Strop

    Or converting a starter into a reliever
    Roark, Miley, Porcello, Alex Wood, Rich Hill, Ivan Nova, Drew Smyly

    Or a trade for someone like
    Archie Bradley, Mychael Givens, Jose Leclerc, Joe Jiminez, Matt Magill, Emilio Pagan, Liam Hendricks, Hansel Robles, Brandon Workman, Kirby Yates, etc. Lot's out there to review potentially if it's a trade.

    Dellin Betances really could be the ideal guy to land though. Depends on the considerations of his health.
    Last edited by Jeffy25; 11-28-2019 at 02:45 AM.

  13. #133
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    midwest
    Posts
    31,675
    I know you're probably right, but I hate that outfield
    2019

    QB-Lock
    RB-Montgomery
    WR-AJ Brown, Hakeem Butler
    TE-TJ Hockenson
    Edge-Allen
    LB-Devon White, Blake Cashman
    CB-Joejuan Williams
    S-Dieonte Thompson

  14. #134
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    56,808
    Quote Originally Posted by rapjuicer06 View Post
    I know you're probably right, but I hate that outfield
    I mean

    Thomas - 2 win
    Bader - 3 win
    Fowler - 1 win

    Carlson up by June - 1.5 wins
    Arozarena/O'Neill - 1 win (you can rotate Thomas with Arozarena or O'Neill, whoever is the best will play, and chances are, that player is about a 2 win guy)

    That's 8.5 wins from the outfield, so a little better than league average (6 wins should be expected from an average MLB outfield)

    Our infield though is one of the best in the league, so that sort of makes up for it.

  15. #135
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    midwest
    Posts
    31,675
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeffy25 View Post
    I mean

    Thomas - 2 win
    Bader - 3 win
    Fowler - 1 win

    Carlson up by June - 1.5 wins
    Arozarena/O'Neill - 1 win (you can rotate Thomas with Arozarena or O'Neill, whoever is the best will play, and chances are, that player is about a 2 win guy)

    That's 8.5 wins from the outfield, so a little better than league average (6 wins should be expected from an average MLB outfield)

    Our infield though is one of the best in the league, so that sort of makes up for it.
    What would oneill and randy a war be
    2019

    QB-Lock
    RB-Montgomery
    WR-AJ Brown, Hakeem Butler
    TE-TJ Hockenson
    Edge-Allen
    LB-Devon White, Blake Cashman
    CB-Joejuan Williams
    S-Dieonte Thompson

Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •