Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    All in all - a big letdown game against a reeling philly team. This was a prime prove-it moment for buffalo. Everyone knew philly would be desperate and play as hard as possible and we didn't match that. I am def getting increasingly worried about this team. We need to play a good game. Not a good half our quarter, but a full 60 mins. everyone on this roster needs to step the fk up.

Singletary only carried the ball 3 times. Gore had 8, I believe. Allen was once again our leading rusher. That's a problem.

The pass rush is a serious problem. Hughes has been invisible this year, like to the point that I'm hoping he's playing with some kind of ailment because he's been that bad.

Eagles carved up the interior on most of those big runs.

I thought Allen was pretty good avoiding pressure. He had the big fumble that led to points, but this game was lost on the lack of a run game, inability to stop the run, and a non-existent pass rush.
    Chicago CubsChicago BlackhawksBuffalo BillsSouthern Illinois University Salukis

Naomi OsakaAngelique KerberBianca Andreescu

We have to find an answer for the pass rush or this defense will continue to get picked apart by good offenses. The Miami game was an alarm. This game was a wake-up call.

Yup defense gets no credit for the win, but Allen, who I think threw for 9 yards total after the TD pass to singleterry was flawless out there. You guys should go to the game. Brown and Foster and even Beasley are wide open 20 yards away, but Allen thinks about passing, then at the last second changes his mind tucks it and runs. But your Pom poms are in the way of your eyes.

As for defense, not that I am saying it could happen, but I know players have been talking to Trent Williams letting him know how great Buffalo is. Sadly Washington wants two first or at the very least a first and second.

And regarding Hughes, you say he is invisible, I guess Sal carpaccio and several others are wrong when they say he is our very best player on D so far. But you know more Ripper.

Quote Originally Posted by sabres11 View Post
    Yup defense gets no credit for the win, but Allen, who I think threw for 9 yards total after the TD pass to singleterry was flawless out there. You guys should go to the game. Brown and Foster and even Beasley are wide open 20 yards away, but Allen thinks about passing, then at the last second changes his mind tucks it and runs. But your Pom poms are in the way of your eyes.

As for defense, not that I am saying it could happen, but I know players have been talking to Trent Williams letting him know how great Buffalo is. Sadly Washington wants two first or at the very least a first and second.

And regarding Hughes, you say he is invisible, I guess Sal carpaccio and several others are wrong when they say he is our very best player on D so far. But you know more Ripper.
    Lol Hughes is our best player on D hahaha...

Edmunds, Hyde, white and poyer have been vastly more vital to the defences success. Hell, even Phillips and Milano.

So yeah sal is wrong imo. Very wrong.

And who didn’t credit the defence on any of our wins?

You’re saying you don’t like Allen’s 4th quarter play? Because that’s pretty much the only compliment we have given him.

I’m fine with Allen because he is playing better than he did last season. I just wanted a qbr in the 80’s to show some progress. Next year I expect it to be in the 90’s. if he fails to match either of those bench marks then I hope they are drafting qb in the top 2 rounds again to put some pressure on Allen or groom his eventual successor.

Quote Originally Posted by ChongInc. View Post
    Yeah the biggest issue was definitely the defence.

I didn’t expect a big passing game from either qb with that wind.
    To your point, gotta ask WTF were the coaches thinking.

Quote Originally Posted by Jack the Ripper View Post
    Oliver has been good. Lotulolei and Murphy have been terrible since they got to Buffalo. Hughes has been pretty invisible this year. The numbers actually show that Oliver has been the best pass rusher on the team this year, despite being held to one unconventional sack. He's done enough and shown enough that he will be a damn good player for a long time. But he needs some serious help.
    IDK, I've been begging a whole lot of people to show me where Oliver does much else but get tied up, or "hold his own," against OGs. I'm not seeing it. I in fact see that, him getting tied up one-on-one by opposing OGs.

Happy to review video and despite looking for it I can't find any. He's got a few plays here and there, but that's about all. That's not why you spend a 9th overall to draft a player. He's been entirely outplayed by journeyman one-year signee Jordan Philips.

Oliver has 1 sack, 1 TFL, and 4 QB Hits. That's it.

Either way, when we drafted him fans were arguing about how many sacks he was going to log. I'd simply like to see a video of him beating a double-team on more than one or two occasions and after that simply beating his man in a timely manner on pass plays when he's pass-rushing. Not asking for a sack on running plays or anything.

He's not anteing up, plain and simple.

We have to find an answer for the pass rush or this defense will continue to get picked apart by good offenses. The Miami game was an alarm. This game was a wake-up call.
    That's interesting JtR, today I was writing one of the regional writers that I interact with and included this in my note:

-------

Furthermore, of their draftees, so far thru 2 ½ seasons, collectively his own draftees have 8.5 sacks (pace for 10, average of 3/season), and 16 INTs (mostly by White with 9, pace for 19, average of 6/season, 3/season by other-than-White). 7 INTs in three seasons otherwise after White.

Their draftees have 1,124 rushing yards, a pace for 1,350, almost all of which by Allen. So unless Singletary steps up big time there’s nothing there. Meanwhile, Shady’s outperforming Gore in YPC (5.2 vs. 4.4) and in YPT (5.6 vs. 4.6) and has one more RRTD in 14 fewer touches. Why they released Shady instead of the dime-a-dozen Yeldon is way beyond me. Shady at his worst is better than Yeldon.

Their draftees have 1,381 receiving yards, almost all by Jones who’s no longer with the team and who as a trade-up pick was a bust. Otherwise the team has three players (besides Dawkins who caught a pass) from their drafts that have produced 274 yards and 2 TDs on 24 catches. Knox, Singletary, and Sweeney.

To summarize, their drafts have not been productive. As you can plainly see they have zero draftees that have made any sort of impact on offense at the skill positions. BTW, Risner is playing better than Ford and if you watched Sunday and paid attention to Dillard, whom I felt that they should have drafted over Oliver, he played lights out at LT against our DEs there. Their only two top-10 picks are lagging their draft statuses in major ways. Allen & Oliver. People are starting to realize that Oliver’s really not doing much but “holding his own” when it’s his job to disrupt and get beyond his blocking assignment. But hey, that’s all he did in college against power-5 competition that isn’t even playing in the NFL, so again, why should more have been expected at the NFL level. (rhetorical)

These guys simply don’t know how to draft, which is how modern teams are built. Connect the two dots and well, they’ve dug their own grave as is said.

--------

Hughes is 31 and on the front-end of his back-9, we should expect that he'll slow down. Lorax has been playing on borrowed time and will likely retire after this season. Phillips was a gap-filler pick-up that ended up playing well on a one-year deal, it'll cost them a whole lot more to sign him, but what is he, the lackluster player he was in Miami, or the seemingly impact player we've seen against teams with 0 or 1 wins?

Shaq too, money year and all of a sudden he's playing better than he has been. Not great mind you but at least contributing. But here's the thing, it's only them that are contributingg and they were all here already. Beane and McD have drafted nothing good enough to backfill them.

Factor in that three of the teams we've beaten are a collective 1-21 and historically bad. Another is 2-6 and also obviously not good. The only mediocre team we've beaten is the Titans who've beat only the 2-5 Browns, the 3-5 Chargers, the 2-5 Bucs, and the 1-7 Falcons. They lost to 2-6 Denver and to the 4-4 Jags who also haven't beaten a good team.

Given how closely we've played all of those crappy teams it's easy to see that we're within a hangnail of having our luck turn and losing a bunch of remaining games to teams like the Fins (road), Cleveland (road) and even the Jets and Denver.

I'm willing to wager an order of Wings and a beer that we don't even make the playoffs.

Sagarin's Ratings have us at 24th, only ahead of all those crap teams on our schedule. That means a lot more than subjective power-rankings from varying people around the league. It also sounds about right.

Either way, we've been badly outplayed twice in a row now by one historically horrid team with no impact players whatsoever and another mediocre team that is also struggling.

We're favored by 9.5 against the Skins, but it wouldn't surprise me if we lose that one too. We should win the Skins are so bad, but I wouldn't bet on it happening the way we're playing.

And Daboll's horrible, I have no idea why McD ever plucked that guy. It was obvious that he didn't have it even before he was hired. So much for friendship hires.

Quote Originally Posted by Wings & Bleu View Post
    That's interesting JtR, today I was writing one of the regional writers that I interact with and included this in my note:

-------

Furthermore, of their draftees, so far thru 2 ½ seasons, collectively his own draftees have 8.5 sacks (pace for 10, average of 3/season), and 16 INTs (mostly by White with 9, pace for 19, average of 6/season, 3/season by other-than-White). 7 INTs in three seasons otherwise after White.

Their draftees have 1,124 rushing yards, a pace for 1,350, almost all of which by Allen. So unless Singletary steps up big time there’s nothing there. Meanwhile, Shady’s outperforming Gore in YPC (5.2 vs. 4.4) and in YPT (5.6 vs. 4.6) and has one more RRTD in 14 fewer touches. Why they released Shady instead of the dime-a-dozen Yeldon is way beyond me. Shady at his worst is better than Yeldon.

Their draftees have 1,381 receiving yards, almost all by Jones who’s no longer with the team and who as a trade-up pick was a bust. Otherwise the team has three players (besides Dawkins who caught a pass) from their drafts that have produced 274 yards and 2 TDs on 24 catches. Knox, Singletary, and Sweeney.

To summarize, their drafts have not been productive. As you can plainly see they have zero draftees that have made any sort of impact on offense at the skill positions. BTW, Risner is playing better than Ford and if you watched Sunday and paid attention to Dillard, whom I felt that they should have drafted over Oliver, he played lights out at LT against our DEs there. Their only two top-10 picks are lagging their draft statuses in major ways. Allen & Oliver. People are starting to realize that Oliver’s really not doing much but “holding his own” when it’s his job to disrupt and get beyond his blocking assignment. But hey, that’s all he did in college against power-5 competition that isn’t even playing in the NFL, so again, why should more have been expected at the NFL level. (rhetorical)

These guys simply don’t know how to draft, which is how modern teams are built. Connect the two dots and well, they’ve dug their own grave as is said.

--------

Hughes is 31 and on the front-end of his back-9, we should expect that he'll slow down. Lorax has been playing on borrowed time and will likely retire after this season. Phillips was a gap-filler pick-up that ended up playing well on a one-year deal, it'll cost them a whole lot more to sign him, but what is he, the lackluster player he was in Miami, or the seemingly impact player we've seen against teams with 0 or 1 wins?

Shaq too, money year and all of a sudden he's playing better than he has been. Not great mind you but at least contributing. But here's the thing, it's only them that are contributingg and they were all here already. Beane and McD have drafted nothing good enough to backfill them.

Factor in that three of the teams we've beaten are a collective 1-21 and historically bad. Another is 2-6 and also obviously not good. The only mediocre team we've beaten is the Titans who've beat only the 2-5 Browns, the 3-5 Chargers, the 2-5 Bucs, and the 1-7 Falcons. They lost to 2-6 Denver and to the 4-4 Jags who also haven't beaten a good team.

Given how closely we've played all of those crappy teams it's easy to see that we're within a hangnail of having our luck turn and losing a bunch of remaining games to teams like the Fins (road), Cleveland (road) and even the Jets and Denver.

I'm willing to wager an order of Wings and a beer that we don't even make the playoffs.

Sagarin's Ratings have us at 24th, only ahead of all those crap teams on our schedule. That means a lot more than subjective power-rankings from varying people around the league. It also sounds about right.

Either way, we've been badly outplayed twice in a row now by one historically horrid team with no impact players whatsoever and another mediocre team that is also struggling.

We're favored by 9.5 against the Skins, but it wouldn't surprise me if we lose that one too. We should win the Skins are so bad, but I wouldn't bet on it happening the way we're playing.

And Daboll's horrible, I have no idea why McD ever plucked that guy. It was obvious that he didn't have it even before he was hired. So much for friendship hires.
    You don’t think we’ll make the playoffs?
    You haven’t been impressed with daboll’s 4th quarter and red zone play calling?

Quote Originally Posted by ChongInc. View Post
    You don’t think we’ll make the playoffs?
    You haven’t been impressed with daboll’s 4th quarter and red zone play calling?
    I think that if we do then it'll be because of attrition elsewhere, not because we "made it" so to speak, we'll only have "made it" by default.

And heck, who knows, maybe we'll go 8-1 the rest of the way, that's just not what the collective info about us tells me.

Pitt for example at 3-4 has played most of their tough games with a whole string of easy ones left. If they simply go 6-3 which is very possible for them, then I doubt we'll make it. Right now both Houston and Indy are playing well enough to beat us into the playoffs.

We can't possibly understate the fact that we beat a bunch of bad teams barely, have three very difficult if not even winnable at this rate, games ahead of us. I mean we sit here and assume that we'll win all the rest of our easy games but the reality is that it probably won't happen. So assuming we lose to the Ravens, @ Dallas, and @ NE, we'll need to go 5-1 in the remaining games to hit 10-6 which is what I'm expecting we'll need to get in.

I don't think that a bunch of 4th-Quarter play-calling amidst 3 quarters of garbage is going to be the ticket there.

And frankly, if we play like we did in the 4th vs. the Eagles then we won't win at all anymore.

If the D doesn't the games for us then putting up an average of 19 ppg isn't going to win many. It's not reasonable to expect us to hold every team to below 17 points every game. Surely you agree.

Quote Originally Posted by sabres11 View Post

At no point this season has Hughes been the best player on the field. Not one time.

Quote Originally Posted by Wings & Bleu View Post
    IDK, I've been begging a whole lot of people to show me where Oliver does much else but get tied up, or "hold his own," against OGs. I'm not seeing it. I in fact see that, him getting tied up one-on-one by opposing OGs.

Happy to review video and despite looking for it I can't find any. He's got a few plays here and there, but that's about all. That's not why you spend a 9th overall to draft a player. He's been entirely outplayed by journeyman one-year signee Jordan Philips.

Oliver has 1 sack, 1 TFL, and 4 QB Hits. That's it.

Either way, when we drafted him fans were arguing about how many sacks he was going to log. I'd simply like to see a video of him beating a double-team on more than one or two occasions and after that simply beating his man in a timely manner on pass plays when he's pass-rushing. Not asking for a sack on running plays or anything.

He's not anteing up, plain and simple.
    He's got a good win rate. The sacks will come. He hasn't been great, but he's been good. He's been double-teamed a lot, which makes the lack of success by some of the other pass rushers even more frustrating.

At no point this season has Hughes been the best player on the field. Not one time.
    Which, again, is a problem going forward, this crew has relied way too much on existing pass-rushers. Predictable but apparently they haven't gotten it.

As I've said up top, the guys that they've drafted to replace Kyle, Lorax, Hughes, and now to a lesser extent Lawson, whose OK but not great by any stretch in a money-year, simply haven't shown the ability to get it done.

That cannot be laid at anyone's feet but Beane & McD.

He's got a good win rate. The sacks will come. He hasn't been great, but he's been good. He's been double-teamed a lot, which makes the lack of success by some of the other pass rushers even more frustrating.
    Actually, he's not double-teamed a lot. Sometimes, but usually he's singled up. There's no need to double-team him.

I pointed this out when we drafted Oliver. If you watched his collegiate play he played great when he was a man amongst boys at those smaller schools. But when he played both Texas Tech and Arizona in his senior season, the only two power-5 schools on their schedule, he was routinely stood up and not even their best front-7 defender in those games against their OGs, almost exclusively man-to-man.

One of them was a guy named Paul Stawarz, a senior at TT, who wasn't drafted and isn't even playing in the NFL. So if that guy could contain Oliver then how much less of a problem was it going to be for NFL OGs.

I'm not sure what that means for the other pass-rushers, I think Lorax is simply old, Lawson's overachieving and no great shakes despite the uptick in his play in this contract year, Phillips was completely mediocre in Miami, perhapas average on a good day. Lotulolei's a slob and the biggest waste of money (their biggest FA contract).

Milano's a good pass-defender but not a great pass-rusher except when he's blitzing. He's too small.

These are things that you need to consider when building a team, which is why I'm down on Beane and McD. I mean think about it, suppose Lorax retires, Lawson moves on which I suspect will happen, Hughes continues to age which will also happen, and Phillips after his one-year deal goes elsewhere because we don't pay him the big money that no doubt he'll get, what's left? Not much. I outlined up top how many sacks we've gotten from their drafted players to date, INTs and TFLs too. There's nothing there.

They're living on legacy players and cheap free agents (Phillips) that happened to work out. I mean if in their minds they realized they were getting a deal with Philips then why wouldn't they have signed him to a cheap 4-year deal thru his prime? They obviously didn't expect that, I mean who did, he played so marginally in Miami.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast