Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Week 1 Thread

btw even though we have been better this year in the clutch can our offense not just be Donovan Mitchell the last couple of minutes?

man our offense is just simply broken. its just Conley and Mitchell taking turns shooting up floaters and midrange shots. we just can't finish at the rim or get rudy some good looks.

The blender is gone. We need to pass the ball around more. Get teams in the blender. We are trying to play iso ball too much.

I can't even believe we still have Jazz fans that are still hopeful for Exum. I mean wow. That is a lot of forgiveness. I for one am not on board with Exum. I haven't been for years. Mudiay was a risk signing, but now that he has solidified our backup PG spot it's time to send Exum outta here. Besides, we have a huge hole at the backup 4/5 position. We are really missing Ed Davis right now. Jeff Green is struggling playing the 5 position.

Not having Davis is really hurting us. And Conley can't stay this awful can he? He is absolutely trash so far. I have faith that Quinn can get it together and there's definitely going to be some growing pains with this many new moving parts. I do agree on Exum. He's a 3rd string guy. I still think we are fine, just a couple of tough losses.

Rippin' lips son!!

I just don't understand how we had one the most analytical offenses where we tried our best to avoid midrange two's and now with better offensive players we are taking what feels like a ton more midrange shots. Part of it is that Conley and Mitchell can't finish over big guys and teams are playing us a little different, but still its just sad.

at least to end the game before I finished typing this the Jazz just hit a million 3's in a row to get the road win.

15 games before this one against the pelicans which will probably help out a few guys numbers, but anyways lets look at a few things(note I need a 100 minutes for me to mention you). so i have a basic rating of ts% which is above average, average and below average. above average is above about a .56, average is .52 to .56 and below is anything below .52. the guys above are of course Rudy at .679, Royce surprisingly at .670 on basically no attempts though, Bojan at a really solid .596, Mudiay by far the biggest surprise at .572. the average tier starts with donovan at .549 and thats it lol. the below average tier is really large. starts with conley at a .515, next is jeff green at .473, and Joe ingles is at .472. so we all know that conley has struggled and even though he struggled with his shot a little tonight he has looked a ton better the past few games. Man that Joe ingles number sure surprised me though. for instance last year he was at .581 so you have to assume that he figures it out eventually. Jeff green the past few years has been pretty efficient so again you think as he gets more comfortable he eventually should get that number up. Overall its honestly pretty encouraging that we are 11-5 now with this NOP win despite some guys really struggling.

just looked at our next 6 games and wow. Lets hope we can go 3-3 in those games.

btw Donovan 37-5 ast-7 reb tonight, Bogey 28-5-5, Royce six assists with 1 shot attempt lol. Honestly this is a repeat of my last post, but if Conley and Ingles can remember how to shoot, we can stop getting so many bad turnovers, and/or we can stop fouling 3pt shooters we would be really set.

then we have a game like tonight and it doesn't even feel like we have an offense right now.

Yeah last night was abysmal. Completely blown out by the Pacers. I really wish we would have gone after Brogdon/Holiday harder. We really needed one of those big PGs. That and Conley has been a downgrade from Rubio so far. He has absolutely got to get it turned around.

Rippin' lips son!!

Jazz Be Screwed....

So I have lost faith in the Jazz being a great team this year. They will be a good team, because they have too much talent not to be, but we have been a good team for years and this was supposed to be our year to step forward... but it isn't going to happen and here is why...

Mike Conley is NOT a good fit for the Jazz. He is not a high IQ player. He has gotten away for years with his athleticism. Last year he benefitted from being on a losing team and teams just did not try hard against him and let him get his stats. He doesn't rebound. He is getting taken advantage of his size. He can't get a shot off except a floater which is low percentage. Throw onto this his salary handcuffs from getting someone else and how much you want to bet he opts into his contract... so we are screwed this year AND next.

Ed Davis was advertised as one of the best backups in the NBA. I could rattle off at least 50 other centers in the NBA I would rather have than him. All he is good at it offensive rebounds. He is too small to effectively protect the rim. He is too small to be effective screener. He has no jump shot. He does not have good hands or presence for dump offs.

Jeff Greene gets stats but does not impact a game. He has played for multiple teams for a reason. It was advertised as a great pickup for the minimum, but that is all we get from him game impact wise.

Bogie is just AWESOME. no complaints for him. Sad we are wasting such a great addition by being forced to play not great additions.

But Jazz added three vets, and none of them fit us very well. But we can't sit them because it is disrespectful to do so and would hurt us getting free agents in the future. So the Jazz HAVE to play them. And there is enough talent that they will win games. But we will not be a great team while we are forced to play so many players that don't fit what we do.

We need to trade away Conley if at all possible. I like what we have ball handling behind him. We have a motion offense, we don't need a ball dominant PG that is making max money. At this point I would trade him for a ham sandwhich, so whatever we get in return is fine by me.

With Ed Davis, we have two options... 2nd team needs to become more up tempo... if we do that, Ed Davis may fit better. If we do not do that, we need to trade him.

Jeff Greene is fine, I don't care if we trade him or keep him. We just can't rely on him to be a difference maker.

Quote Originally Posted by Raupie View Post
    So I have lost faith in the Jazz being a great team this year. They will be a good team, because they have too much talent not to be, but we have been a good team for years and this was supposed to be our year to step forward... but it isn't going to happen and here is why...

Mike Conley is NOT a good fit for the Jazz. He is not a high IQ player. He has gotten away for years with his athleticism. Last year he benefitted from being on a losing team and teams just did not try hard against him and let him get his stats. He doesn't rebound. He is getting taken advantage of his size. He can't get a shot off except a floater which is low percentage. Throw onto this his salary handcuffs from getting someone else and how much you want to bet he opts into his contract... so we are screwed this year AND next.

Ed Davis was advertised as one of the best backups in the NBA. I could rattle off at least 50 other centers in the NBA I would rather have than him. All he is good at it offensive rebounds. He is too small to effectively protect the rim. He is too small to be effective screener. He has no jump shot. He does not have good hands or presence for dump offs.

Jeff Greene gets stats but does not impact a game. He has played for multiple teams for a reason. It was advertised as a great pickup for the minimum, but that is all we get from him game impact wise.

Bogie is just AWESOME. no complaints for him. Sad we are wasting such a great addition by being forced to play not great additions.

But Jazz added three vets, and none of them fit us very well. But we can't sit them because it is disrespectful to do so and would hurt us getting free agents in the future. So the Jazz HAVE to play them. And there is enough talent that they will win games. But we will not be a great team while we are forced to play so many players that don't fit what we do.

We need to trade away Conley if at all possible. I like what we have ball handling behind him. We have a motion offense, we don't need a ball dominant PG that is making max money. At this point I would trade him for a ham sandwhich, so whatever we get in return is fine by me.

With Ed Davis, we have two options... 2nd team needs to become more up tempo... if we do that, Ed Davis may fit better. If we do not do that, we need to trade him.

Jeff Greene is fine, I don't care if we trade him or keep him. We just can't rely on him to be a difference maker.
    Great points. I agree with your assessment. I'd like to add a few.

Ingles shot is just not falling. With Favors gone his pick-and-roll effectiveness is much worse. He needs to go back to more catch and shoot threes.

Exum is a sunk cost. Stop trying to justify your bad decision.

Mudiay does not pass. He is a black hole of mid range jumpers. The second unit is not getting involved.

Spida please go all the way to the rim or pass. The floater is not working.

Quinn needs to tighten up the rotations. I'd prefer a 8 man rotation for most of the minutes. Conley, Mitchell, Royce, Ingles, Bogey, Rudy, Davis, and Green.

I think the biggest problem is the lack of passing. We need to get the blender going again. This iso hero ball isn't working. We have too many unwilling passers on this team. Mudiay and Green especially.

According to basketball reference our second unit is getting worked.

Jeff Green is a -2.9
    Mudiay -2.6
    Niang -1.9
    Exum -2.2
    Davis -2.0

As bad as Conley has been he is only a -1. Rubio was a 0.0 last year.

Quote Originally Posted by Wes Mantooth View Post
    Great points. I agree with your assessment. I'd like to add a few.

Ingles shot is just not falling. With Favors gone his pick-and-roll effectiveness is much worse. He needs to go back to more catch and shoot threes.

Exum is a sunk cost. Stop trying to justify your bad decision.

Mudiay does not pass. He is a black hole of mid range jumpers. The second unit is not getting involved.

Spida please go all the way to the rim or pass. The floater is not working.

Quinn needs to tighten up the rotations. I'd prefer a 8 man rotation for most of the minutes. Conley, Mitchell, Royce, Ingles, Bogey, Rudy, Davis, and Green.

I think the biggest problem is the lack of passing. We need to get the blender going again. This iso hero ball isn't working. We have too many unwilling passers on this team. Mudiay and Green especially.
    When he was on his hot streak and playing efficiently on offense the floater was falling and that was what I thought the next step of his game would be. But sadly it hasn't been falling lately and his efficiency has taken a HUGE dip.

Still wishing we had gotten Brogdon or Holiday. We really needed a big PG to offset Mitchell being undersized. But oh well we are stuck with Conley for this year and next.

Rippin' lips son!!

there was a huge question this offseason that asked was our offense good because we ran a good offense or was it good because other teams just let bad 3pt shooters chuck 3's and it was clearly the 2nd one. Our offense this year is so pathetic its not even enjoyable to watch for me. its just Donovan and Conley shooting these floaters i feel like they hit at about 30%. Ingles being so much worse this year has really hurt us. like you guys have said our bench sucks and ingles was supposed to be a huge part of that, but he has been so bad that we have had to stagger our starters more. not to mention that Ed davis went from a hyper efficient big man to a hyper inefficient big man. Green and Mudiay have been about what I expected and thats good one night trash another. I agree with you guys this team is clearly just another first round exit unless we get a good matchup. there isn't anything special about this team at all. we have played the 2nd toughest schedule so far and have played more road games then home games, but we have been so non competitive in most of our recent games that I don't see how you could have any optimism for this team. I am almost at the point I wonder how things might have changed if we had just cut Favors and signed Bojan and resigned Rubio etc. at least we would still have our future pick.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast