Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Week 1 Thread

Well there is nobody on the bench with passion and nobody on the bench who can just go get a bucket. That's a recipe for disaster. Exum eating up 11mill is flat out killing us. What a disaster of a contract that is.

Rippin' lips son!!

I defended that contract at first but damn it's awful. Especially considering that we were only bidding against ourselves.

Rippin' lips son!!

Quote Originally Posted by JAZZNC View Post
    I defended that contract at first but damn it's awful. Especially considering that we were only bidding against ourselves.
    I am not ready to give up on Exum yet. How Quinn handles the rotations is very friendly to older vets and not always fair to younger players. The bash on Exum this season has been his plus minus... but he was coming back from an injury and playing with our bench... enough said.

I think our team gives way to much patience to some of these older vets. Ed Davis has been garbage. Complete and utter garbage. On both ends of the floor. Why are they not giving his minutes to Bradley?

Mudiay keeps getting praise but hasn't done that much to deserve it. I would be playing Exum over him right now. Exum can play better defense and creates for others (at least he could last time he was healthy).

I feel the Jazz don't want to hurt the feelings of these free agents so they play them regardless if one of our younger options may play as good or better. Because of this, I am not convinced on how good or not good our younger players are. We used to be pretty good at developing them... not so much anymore...

I understand everyone sick of Exum because there is 10 million on the bench not doing anything... howwever... I am more worried about the 32 million at PG doing jack squat and the 4 million center hurting us more than helping us. We can't be a team that claims to be fair and play the best player when we make excuses for some of these free agent vets who have not been good and yet are being handed playing time regardless.

Exum has some qualities that still lend you to think he can be a good basketball player, but he has so little game experience the past few years he just looks unbelievably awful out there. the rest of the bench is completely hit or miss out there its insane. Ed davis does a great job on defense, but we keep trying to turn him into Favors on offense and that is not his game. Bradley wasn't good enough on defense, but his offense was way better. Jeff Green sure feels like he is really positive for the team or really negative. Ditto for Mudiay. I don't think that Niang can guard anyone. I wonder if Quinn has thought about some of the rookies just giving them minutes instead of niang. the two kinda hidden issues for me are still we can't guard quick PG's like at all out there. They just absolutely kill us. I expect Trey Young to just kill us tomorrow. We also can't stop turning the ball over and the problem is that quite often those turn into points for the other team. At least it looks like Ingles might have turned things around. Not sure if thats a starting thing or a just him fixing whatever was wrong. the bad is that whatever you think of conley he is better then our bench and he might be out for a while.

Quote Originally Posted by dhopisthename View Post
    Exum has some qualities that still lend you to think he can be a good basketball player, but he has so little game experience the past few years he just looks unbelievably awful out there. the rest of the bench is completely hit or miss out there its insane. Ed davis does a great job on defense, but we keep trying to turn him into Favors on offense and that is not his game. Bradley wasn't good enough on defense, but his offense was way better. Jeff Green sure feels like he is really positive for the team or really negative. Ditto for Mudiay. I don't think that Niang can guard anyone. I wonder if Quinn has thought about some of the rookies just giving them minutes instead of niang. the two kinda hidden issues for me are still we can't guard quick PG's like at all out there. They just absolutely kill us. I expect Trey Young to just kill us tomorrow. We also can't stop turning the ball over and the problem is that quite often those turn into points for the other team. At least it looks like Ingles might have turned things around. Not sure if thats a starting thing or a just him fixing whatever was wrong. the bad is that whatever you think of conley he is better then our bench and he might be out for a while.
    I agree with your comments on Exum. Potential but lack of experience. Would love to see him get some time with this Hawks game. Jazz team struggling with Trae Young... Exum is more of a speed and length defender than a tough gritty defender. So would be curious how he would do on him.

Agree with your comments on Davis to some degree. I feel he is a good 1 on 1 defender but not a rim protector. he guards his position but it not long enough to protect the rim in helping others. Combine that with his poor offense, I would rather let Bradley play and hopefully his defense improves.

I have always liked Niang, but agree with your assessment that when he is out there, our defense struggles. I like him better as a 12th man than a normal rotation guy.

We are outhustled every night. We never match up athleticism wise. Would like to see our rookies get a chance. I don't see how they can be any worse....

looks like quinn agreed with Raupie for the 2nd half. Ed davis only had 7 minutes. Too bad Bradly got like 4 fouls in 4 minutes even if I though at least one was pretty bad. can't complain about road wins, but it would be nice if our bench would stop going -10 in their minutes.

Well we traded Exum. Clarkson is an obvious upgrade and will provide some much needed offense off the bench

Rippin' lips son!!

yeah not a huge fan of clarkson I have felt like a ton of his stats have been empty stats on bad teams. Hopefully he can somehow turn into Lou williams for us.

And holy crap, we waived Jeff Green. There goes my prediction that he'd have a great year for is haha. Waived him to add a g league guy. The guy we signed must really have some value cause good or not Green was getting minutes. So somebody who hasn't been getting any minutes is about to start playing. I kinda hope it's the guy from Charleston.

Rippin' lips son!!

I think it honestly had little to do with the gleague guy and the Jazz wanting to give our other Gleaguers and end of the bench guys time. I wouldn't be shocked if they did this cause they wanted someone like Brantley to get more time.

still not sure on Clarkson, but interestingly he is a MUCH better trade piece as a 13 million dollar expiring then exum was with 2 years on his deal. Like lets make a few things clear. he only averages 4 assists per 36 and he doesn't defend very well. The good then is that he take 8.6 3's per 36 minutes which is crazy, but until the past year he only made about 34% of his 3's which is pretty scary. if you guys hadn't noticed though I was pretty done with Exum. I don't think his offense is worth what he might be able to give you on defense. Thankfully it doesn't matter anymore.

so something maybe this for our new bench?

Mudiay/Clarkson/Royce/niang/Davis with brantley/bradley/Morgan all being possibilities.

Very happy to have Jeff Greene has been waived. I have heard he is a great guy, but our team has not been good with him on the floor. And with older veterans, you can't be as patient with younger players who are still developing.

Sad to see Exum go, but they see him every day. If he lost his athleticism and can't be the same defender he was, then probably the right move.

We still really need a center. Everytime Gobert goes out, we become soft inside. We don't get rebounds. We don't protect the rim. Jeff Greene was part of the problem, but as I mentioned, so is Davis. So lets not stop the moves yet, get a backup center and lets see what happens.

I actually think that clarksons redeeming quality should be that he doesn't need screens as much as the rest of our guys do and he should allow him to play more of his natural game. Ed davis and Rudy Gobert defensive ratings are the same, but rudy has a 125 offensive rating while Ed davis has a 91. honestly our offense right now is still based on Rudy rolling to the basket something that other teams don't fear with Davis. so now "in theory" you have clarkson getting shots off with davis getting offensive rebounds. you sprinkle in Royce to cover for clarksons defensive deficiencies, Ingles to give more playmaking and let Mudiay continue to his thing. This might take pressure off of mitchell having to come in and be the lone creator at times for the bench units too although I suspect that Donovan and Clarkson won't see much time together, but I could be wrong.

I actually think that clarksons redeeming quality should be that he doesn't need screens as much as the rest of our guys do and he should allow him to play more of his natural game. Ed davis and Rudy Gobert defensive ratings are the same, but rudy has a 125 offensive rating while Ed davis has a 91. honestly our offense right now is still based on Rudy rolling to the basket something that other teams don't fear with Davis. so now "in theory" you have clarkson getting shots off with davis getting offensive rebounds. you sprinkle in Royce to cover for clarksons defensive deficiencies, Ingles to give more playmaking and let Mudiay continue to his thing. This might take pressure off of mitchell having to come in and be the lone creator at times for the bench units too although I suspect that Donovan and Clarkson won't see much time together, but I could be wrong.
    Yeah Clarkson and Mitchell would be atrocious defensively but I imagine you'll see that lineup some especially against bench units. I also hope that Brantley starts seeing some time. He's so much more athletic than Niang. He can't be any worse defensively. He probably isn't as good of a 3pt shooter but should do everything else better.

Rippin' lips son!!

Very good point. Ingles needs screens to make offense, Clarkson doesn't need those screens. Davis is not good at setting those screens. So Clarkson can help mitigate some of our offensive woes with the second team by being a different type of scorer.

One thing we haven't mentioned is how we are going to guard larger power forwards. That was one of the things we were going to rely on Jeff Greene for. We are lost some size and athleticism and didn't replace it. I think we still have another move to make.

Quote Originally Posted by Raupie View Post
    Very good point. Ingles needs screens to make offense, Clarkson doesn't need those screens. Davis is not good at setting those screens. So Clarkson can help mitigate some of our offensive woes with the second team by being a different type of scorer.

One thing we haven't mentioned is how we are going to guard larger power forwards. That was one of the things we were going to rely on Jeff Greene for. We are lost some size and athleticism and didn't replace it. I think we still have another move to make.
    I think guys like Brantley are going to have to start getting some playing time.

Rippin' lips son!!

Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast