Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 910111213 LastLast

Thread: Week 1 Thread

it should be noted that quinn was going to sub clarkson back in, but the jazz had just gone on a 7-0ish run so clarkson said to just leave it. so while it sometimes sucks with how rigid quinn can be, last night wasn't really on quinn. Also conley was pretty great last night as well. 20-6-5 on 8/16. it was nice to see niang make a few shots. He had been super struggling. Poor Royce though can't hit anything the past two months and joe ingles just doesn't shoot the ball enough.

the Jazz offense is playing at a pace I haven't seen for a while and its mostly cause the mavs defense has just been that bad. Like I think they would be doing this conley as well. Jazz just need to play 70% this well in the second half with a 21 point lead to win this game.

i do wonder if just by having conley it means that Ingles isn't as aggressive as he is with conley and ingles just gets into a better groove where when conley is playing he is forced into more of a 3rd option role .

game was closer then it should have been, but on a b2b you just take any win you can get.

Quote Originally Posted by JAZZNC View Post
    Clarkson has almost got to start finishing games. He has just been flat out better than Conley. Like last night there was no reason to sit our hottest player in a very important, close game to being in Conley. Quinn bugs me with that kind of rotation. Rotations don't have to be set in stone. As a coach you have to be able to see who's giving your team the best chance to win on a given night. But he did draw up a great play to get our best shooter a chance and he hit it and won the game.

And we have always had a ton of horrible turnovers for the entirety of Quinn's career. I don't know if it's the players or if it's just not a focus but we literally won every statistic last night but we're -10 in TOs in a 1pt game. Very lucky to come out on top but I'll damn sure take it. I haven't freaked out like that at the end of a game in a long while. Loved it!
    What a fun game. I agree about Jordan. He has been a nice surprise. He may be 10 times better than Exum. Cavs fans can't be happy about that. I like the idea of Clarkston ending the game.

I'm starting to think we are going to end up playing the 4/5 match up again, and possibly the Rockets again. It would be a battle. Honestly, it could go either way. They already drive me crazy. I think we are better than them, but they are just a bad matchup for us.

Quote Originally Posted by Wes Mantooth View Post
    I'm starting to think we are going to end up playing the 4/5 match up again, and possibly the Rockets again. It would be a battle. Honestly, it could go either way. They already drive me crazy. I think we are better than them, but they are just a bad matchup for us.
    this was before last night btw. Just didn't finish posting it.

I hate the way the Rockets play. its not them only taking 3's and layups its them pump faking every shot hoping that the defender jumps into them. just watching the celtics game last night made realize how great of a job defensively we did against them staying down on their pump fakes a few nights ago. we only gave up 14 ft's. the Celtics gave up 42 ft's.

guide. remaining SOS is the strength of schedule for a team for the remaining year. over .510 in the west means tough. under .510 means somewhat easy. you can delineate from that.

the other thing I looked at is have you played more road games then home games.

#2 Denver rem SOS-.526 Easily the toughest for all these teams. even home and away schedule. if we had just won one of our games against them I would fell so much better to catch them.

#3 Clippers rem SOS .484 even home and away. the rest of their schedule is so soft. They have 4 b2b's plus the postponed laker game which likely turns into a b2b for one of those teams.

#4 utah rem sos .507 24 home games vs 29 road games. considering our home and away record that's probably a bigger deal then most would realize. our SOS is the 3rd toughest, but its not that bad.

#5 Houston rem sos .476 equal road and home games. pretty soft schedule. 3 more b2b's which is important cause of westbrook not playing.

#6 oklahoma City rem sos .510 29 home games vs 25 road games. considering their splits I don't know if that is a big deal for them. either way the jazz would have to really choke to fall this far. considering what I saw just 4 games ago I don't think this is impossible though.

7. Dallas rem sos .493 28 home 26 road games. considering that they are better on the road this is probably better for them that they have more road games. I will fully admit I don't get this one.

i agree it kinda looks like a 4/5 again. I can't stress enough though that we have 5 more home games remaining over road games.

Well that was an absolute embarrassment. The Spurs just absolutely own us.

Rippin' lips son!!

I am getting tired of this Jazz team... the lack of effort, the lack of creativity on offense, the lack of consistency... and this is the team we are stuck with for years to come...

I am used to the Jazz not winning championships... not many teams do... but teams never liked going to Salt lake city... they knew they were in for a battle... however this team doesn't battle... they are just soft... they are not fun to watch

I feel that Quin is a defensive genius... and he is good at drawing out specific plays... but he is not good at motivating his teams and he is not good at utilizing his offensive talent. He has his system and you live or die by the system... We are too predictable for other teams to prepare to play against.

Teams are going to continue to play small ball and we have one of the best centers in the world. So why not take a chance and find ways to make teams to pay for it? Start lobbing up the ball more, see if we can draw some fouls... maybe let him post up... Yes Yes... I know David Locke that post ups are not high percentage and not the future of basketball... but if the future of basketball is 6 ft 6 centers... maybe posting up Rudy finds a way to keep him relevant?

Also, live ball turnovers are KILLING us. We pass the ball around at the top of the key and teams read it and steal it and easy points... or we have players drive to the hoop in traffic and lose the ball that leads to points... these 4 point swings multiple times a night are killing us as well.

The Jazz has had some of the best luck when it comes to health this season... they have one of the best home court advantages... the Jazz are running out of excuses and "executing" better in the next game is not a real solution. They need to be creative... try some things... build on the players who are going to be there long term... How does it make sense to have Clarkson score all of our points... he does it by playing loose and not following the system... then he leaves next year and we are back where we started...

We will still win some games, we are too talented roster wise not to... but I am done caring as much with this team because they don't care (despite what announcers)

I agree with most of what you said. we have been extraordinarily lucky when it comes to health and we still can't get a top 4 seed. our turnovers are just maddening and our defense is just so bad right now. i don't think we get homecourt and I don't think we make it to the second round with the way this team has played the past 12 games.

only thing I disagree on is that our offense despite the turnovers etc. has still been really good. Considering the fact that Conley has been a massive negative the whole year, Ingles has been maddeningly inconsistent and we just don't have a super star and we are still 9th overall and 1st since we got Clarkson and 2nd since 12/1. we are 15th in defense over that same time span. Teams have figured we can't guard anyone on the perimeter at all and just about every team nowadays has a way to pull Rudy from the rim and that just means easy layups for them. Or we play a team like the spurs where we just give up way to easy of midrangers and they just seem to hit them all.

The Rockets are just a bad match-up for us. We struggle against any team that switches everything on D. We struggle against a 3 point shooter at the 5. Athletic guards are blowing by our guys. Rockets check all 3. They have our number. I'd rather drop a few spots than play them again in the playoffs.

Before the season started we were all so hyped about this team. Our expectation was we were getting the 21 point 6 assist Mike Conley, and a legit #2 scoring option. A back-court of Conley and Mitchell was going to dominate. I doun't know about you, but I have some buyers remorse. Mike is averaging 13 points, 4 assists, and is not our #2 scoring option. So what went wrong?

1- Unrealistic expectations- we thought we had made the difficult jump from playoff perennial to contender before we saw them play.

2- Age- Conley has clearly hit the decline. At 32 he looks like his best days are behind him.

3- Heart- That same drive to win never moved from Memphis. Something happened. He went from a passion to win to a guy here to get his paycheck.

4- Rubio- Watching too many games where defenses left Rubio wide open was frustrating. We were convinced a shooter would solve our problems. In reality, we are better in some areas and much weaker in others. Rubio is the reason we made shooting such a priority.

5- The rest of the league adjusted- Quinn is a terrific coach, we could never do better, but opposing coaches are full of smart guys too. They have figured out how to hurt us.

Grading our offseason moves

Mike Conley- D, 13 ppg and 4 assists is not what we ordered. Missed 22 games already. If I ordered this on Amazon I would have sent it back by now.

Bojan Bogdanovic- A, near perfect fit offensively for our system, 20 ppg for 17 million is amazing. He is the #2 scoring option we though we had in Conley. He already has one more buzzer beater than Karl Malone.

Jordan Clarkson- A+, a salary dump for Exum would have got an B. Jordan is having a career year. He is that guy we needed off the bench. We owe the Cavs an apology.

Emmanuel Mudiay- B+, for 1.7 million we got more than we asked for. Low risk and we got a high reward. He was originally signed as an insurance policy for Exum's annual injury. He's been much better than expected. His shooting percentages are quite a jump from the past.

Ed Davis- F , swing and a miss. Not a good fit. 5 million next year.

Jeff Green- C, give the GM credit for signing a non-guaranteed voidable contract to get out from under this dumpster fire.

Well this is a big time low. ****ing get blown out by the Suns at home. Unfreaking real. No way to we finish high enough to get HCA.

Rippin' lips son!!

Quote Originally Posted by JAZZNC View Post
    Well this is a big time low. ****ing get blown out by the Suns at home. Unfreaking real. No way to we finish high enough to get HCA.
    Maybe that is where we belong. We are probably the 5th best team in the west. We are moving in the right direction, just not as fast as we hoped. Bogey is an upgrade from Favors. Extending Royce was a good move.
    Conley is not what we thought, but I would argue that Mitchell should be our PG. We are one player away still.

Sad thing is that I think we'd be a better team with Rubio. We'd at least have one guard who can play any kind of defense. Mitchell has absolutely got to step it up on that end. He is literally Harden bad on defense. Constantly gets lost in screens, lack of effort, etc.

Rippin' lips son!!

Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 910111213 LastLast