Like us on Facebook


Follow us on Twitter





Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 41
  1. #16
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    11,784
    Quote Originally Posted by ThomasTomasz View Post
    That's the one number that could work in his favor if this was an independent panel. It's absurd that we consider a full year for a starter around 150 games (days off, etc) and he doesn't get credit for playing that whole season.
    Honestly I don't think it helps since that's the collectively bargained number. Just feels really dumb they would originally agree to that.

  2. #17
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Toms River, NJ
    Posts
    9,197
    He won’t win but I hope he does. The PA is going to make this point of contention with the next chapter for good reason


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  3. #18
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Probably at work!
    Posts
    18,846
    If he wins, it will be very interesting to see other top specs who are on the verge of coming up be brought up "early". In the White Sox case Luis Robert and Nick Madrigal will probably be up come opening day.

  4. #19
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    35,201
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeffy25 View Post
    He won't win, but it's really unfortunate that he (and Vlad) were gamed like that.

    CBA has to be fixed.
    Gleyber Torres was too. Too bad. It's part of the cba so don't really see the point in fighting it.

  5. #20
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    6,083
    Quote Originally Posted by Dugmet View Post
    based on what legality? Feelings don’t count. There has to be a contractual violation. I guess Bryant’s camp says there is, but what is it?


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    From Law.com:
    Most states recognize what is called "implied covenant of good faith and fair dealing" which is breached by acts of bad faith, for which a lawsuit may be brought (filed) for the breach (just as one might sue for breach of contract)
    Intentionally keeping a player from being able to receive a year of service time by holding them off the roster until the exact day they can no longer qualify for a year of service is acting in bad faith, especially considering the guy they chose to play 3B over Bryant hit .160/.248/.356 in 2014.

  6. #21
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    49,502
    Quote Originally Posted by Dugmet View Post
    based on what legality? Feelings don’t count. There has to be a contractual violation. I guess Bryant’s camp says there is, but what is it?


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    That he was tied for 63rd in games played that year.


    "You don't know how to drink. Your whole generation, you drink for the wrong reasons. My generation, we drink because it's good, because it feels better than unbuttoning your collar, because we deserve it. We drink because it's what men do."

  7. #22
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    East of the Sun, West of the Moon
    Posts
    29,873
    Quote Originally Posted by Claymation View Post
    That he was tied for 63rd in games played that year.
    see previous post. thats the kind of info i was asking about.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    “It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, at least fails while daring greatly.” -- Teddy Roosevelt

  8. #23
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    31,603
    I'm fascinated how this will effect his relationship with the Cubs moving forward. I think it was a foregone conclusion he would test free agency regardless of what happened... But now it almost seems like no chance he returns.

  9. #24
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    11,784
    Quote Originally Posted by kyubi256 View Post
    I'm fascinated how this will effect his relationship with the Cubs moving forward. I think it was a foregone conclusion he would test free agency regardless of what happened... But now it almost seems like no chance he returns.
    I mean, most players are looking for as much money as possible. And in alot of cases, teams are decent at seperating the clubhouse from the front office. So it's usually not hard to go back to a team that "screwed" you financially from that perspective.

  10. #25
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    East of the Sun, West of the Moon
    Posts
    29,873
    Quote Originally Posted by crewfan13 View Post
    I mean, most players are looking for as much money as possible. And in alot of cases, teams are decent at seperating the clubhouse from the front office.

    So it's usually not hard to go back to a team that "screwed" you financially from that perspective.
    Meh. Many times arbitration cases get contentious and players put it behind them.

    Wade Boggs was very resentful of the BoSox for keeping him down at AAA for two full seasons without even a September callup and he did not take the first train available out of Boston, though he took the second.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    “It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, at least fails while daring greatly.” -- Teddy Roosevelt

  11. #26
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    57,258
    Quote Originally Posted by Dugmet View Post
    Meh. Many times arbitration cases get contentious and players put it behind them.

    Wade Boggs was very resentful of the BoSox for keeping him down at AAA for two full seasons without even a September callup and he did not take the first train available out of Boston, though he took the second.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Did the Sox even try to re-sign Boggs after 92?

  12. #27
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    14,935
    Quote Originally Posted by kyubi256 View Post
    I'm fascinated how this will effect his relationship with the Cubs moving forward. I think it was a foregone conclusion he would test free agency regardless of what happened... But now it almost seems like no chance he returns.
    I think from the time Bryant got drafted he was going to be someone to eventually test free agency, if he turned out to be a good player. Nothing wrong with that either. As for him testing and then signing with the Cubs, I do not feel what happened with him and the Cubs regarding his service time will have any effect on his decision. It will be all about the money going forward, IMO. And again, nothing wrong with that.

    Quote Originally Posted by crewfan13 View Post
    I mean, most players are looking for as much money as possible. And in alot of cases, teams are decent at seperating the clubhouse from the front office. So it's usually not hard to go back to a team that "screwed" you financially from that perspective.
    True. But the Cubs did not screw Bryant. And even if he takes issue with the service time, they acted within the rules. And every year they he comes up for a raise the Cubs have been very generous to him. There has never been an issue with him signing for what they suggest. I am not sure Bryant actually has any hard feeling. I think it is strictly a labor thing. And I think he is standing up for the labor to make a point, more so then standing up against the Cubs because he is unhappy about the way they treated him.

  13. #28
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    11,784
    Quote Originally Posted by rcal10 View Post
    I think from the time Bryant got drafted he was going to be someone to eventually test free agency, if he turned out to be a good player. Nothing wrong with that either. As for him testing and then signing with the Cubs, I do not feel what happened with him and the Cubs regarding his service time will have any effect on his decision. It will be all about the money going forward, IMO. And again, nothing wrong with that.



    True. But the Cubs did not screw Bryant. And even if he takes issue with the service time, they acted within the rules. And every year they he comes up for a raise the Cubs have been very generous to him. There has never been an issue with him signing for what they suggest. I am not sure Bryant actually has any hard feeling. I think it is strictly a labor thing. And I think he is standing up for the labor to make a point, more so then standing up against the Cubs because he is unhappy about the way they treated him.
    I can guarantee he's unhappy with the way they treated him. Tossing him a little extra cash in arb doesn't make up for the fact they intentionally manipulated his service time to delay his ability to hit the open market. Doesn't mean he won't resign with them or anything, but it's absolutely more than just a labor thing. Given today's FA market, every season absolutely matters. Plus he's been quoted calling the service time manipulation "awful" and has been critical of it whenever possible.

  14. #29
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    6,083
    Surprising no one, Bryant lost

  15. #30
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    South Dakota
    Posts
    10,662
    Quote Originally Posted by crewfan13 View Post
    I can guarantee he's unhappy with the way they treated him. Tossing him a little extra cash in arb doesn't make up for the fact they intentionally manipulated his service time to delay his ability to hit the open market. Doesn't mean he won't resign with them or anything, but it's absolutely more than just a labor thing. Given today's FA market, every season absolutely matters. Plus he's been quoted calling the service time manipulation "awful" and has been critical of it whenever possible.
    But wasn't his time to be complaining about it back then, not now....the rule is what the rule is, they have to put a date on it...and when they do, teams are going to do exactly what the Cubs did, it's business. Filing a grievance against your employer is rarely going to yield the results you'd prefer...win or lose.
    gotta love 'referential' treatment

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •