Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 11 of 20 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by still a fan View Post
    Honestly last year, yea he was, not sure what happens when guy's like Ellington come here, those were some terrible shots, and that one forced up completely covered and we were on a roll, that hurt.
    Ellingtons shot selection and fall away 3's make me want to strangle the guy.

Quote Originally Posted by Bivory View Post
    Bench guys ARE keys to success but you guys are all missing the point. Right now, Trier isn't being treated as our 6th man. He's not getting minutes. Its game one but if the Knicks think they want to compete, Trier will need to be utilized. No question about it. How long do you think you can get away with playing RJ 35 minutes and Morris 39 minutes.
    As someone else said, as the season goes on Fiz will hopefully have a more consistent and tighter rotation. I think it's safe to say, or at least I hope it is, Wayne brought himself a ticket on the bench against BKLN Friday night and therefore Trier will get more burn. I do, however think that Trier must be good because Fiz and Trier don't seem to like one another. Seems that way with all coaches and players, some you give more rope than others and some less. If he continues to play Wayne and Frank over Trier and those two continue to stink up the joint, then it's open season on Fiz. But not just yet. I'm on the fence about Fiz but if I had to lean one way, I'd say he fails, just a gut feeling. Hope I'm wrong.

Portis didn't have his best game but he did have 5 assists. I feel like he was nervous and just didn't make shots that he usually makes. The same for Trier who was literally shaking in his hightops... If you look carefully you could actually see Triers knees shaking. He is not ready to start. I'm glad we finally have our starting lineup. It's up to DSJ, Trier and Frank to take minutes from Ellington and Payton. Show us what you can do!

If either of them had stepped up last night I think we win that game.

Despite the criticism, I think Fiz did the best he could against a team known for winning at home. Fiz is actually 1-1 against the Spurs in San Antonio. His biggest mistake last night was leaving the chucker Ellington in the game too long when the Spurs made their big run. Frank although he made 2 bad turnovers also caused 2 turnovers and that layup he missed was an obvious goaltend. Frank's defense is necessary off the bench when Knox and either DSJ or Trier enter the game.

*Kevin Knox looked good, DeRozan who is an allstar just looked better when it counted. Kev will get better. These lessons mean a lot toward development.
    *Payton surprisingly look great
    *Julius, RJ and Mook are the best players the Knicks have had in a long time.
    *DSJ, Trier, Portis and Taj need more minutes while Mitch is out to shake off the butterflies.
    *Ellington and Dot should be on the trade board not because they are bad players they just really aren't needed here.

No way the Nets should beat us with Kyrie taking 33 shots... I'm so glad we dodged that ball hog bullet.

Also, I was one of the first guys who wanted RJ over Zion. I've been saying that RJ would be a better pro.

Ian Begley, SNY.tv | Twitter |

David Fizdale says he has to watch the film of Wednesday's game against the Spurs before he decides who will start at point guard for the Knicks on Friday.

But it sounded like Elfrid Payton had earned the job.

"Elfrid absolutely put his foot forward, took it to heart and ramped up the competition," Fizdale said after the Knicks lost in San Antonio. "Like I said, I'm going to keep an open mind of this and whoever fights their way out of the pile, that's who's going to get the nod."

So much of this season will be about who Fizdale chooses to play and when.

His starting backcourt on Wednesday wasn't the answer. With RJ Barrett and Allonzo Trier on the court, New York fell behind by nine in the first six minutes.

When Payton checked in midway through the second quarter, the Knicks trailed by 13. Over the next 16 minutes, New York outscored San Antonio by 13 and carried a one-point lead into the fourth quarter.

"He stays ready. He's always ready," Marcus Morris said of Payton. "He showed us tonight, played well. Anchored the team. When he came in he changed the game for us."

Payton, who signed with the Knicks as a free agent over the summer, probably did enough to earn the starting job on Friday against Brooklyn. But he didn't seem to care about starting or coming off the bench when talking to reporters after Wednesday's game.

"That ain't really what I'm about," Payton said. "I'm just trying to win. Just trying to help the team win."

Payton finished with 11 points, five steals and eight assists, spearheading a solid defensive effort from New York.

Barrett 'ready' for bright lights

The Knicks lost a winnable game on Wednesday, but Barrett's debut was encouraging for a team that hopes to build around a solid young core.

"I told you, when the popcorn is popping that kid is ready," Fizdale said.

Barrett had 21 points, five rebounds and two steals in his NBA debut. He looked like the same calm, confident player that the Knicks saw during preseason, hitting nine of 13 shots (eight in the paint).

At 19 years and 131 days, Barrett was the second-youngest player to score more than 20 in his debut. LeBron James' 25 points at 18 years and 303 days is ahead of Barrett there, while Anthony Davis' 21 points at 19 years and 234 days comes in third.

Barrett helped lead a defense for New York that had 16 steals and forced 21 turnovers overall. New York scored 32 points off of turnovers on Wednesday, getting the easy baskets that were hard to come by for much of last season.

"He was fantastic -- I thought he really competed," Fizdale said of Barrett's defense. "He only had really one bad breakdown where he helped off the corner and gave up the three. Overall, he was playing both ends of the floor at a high level."

Barrett, Morris and Julius Randle combined for 72 points on 57 percent shooting.

Randle (25 points) left the game for a few minutes in the fourth quarter due to a cramp as the Spurs were on a 21-2 run. He admonished himself after the game for not being available during that time.

"I can't do that to my team," said Randle, who had 11 rebounds, six assists and three steals in his Knicks debut. "I'll fix it. It was unfortunate. Crucial part of the game and I've got to stay in it."

Fizdale preaches patience with Smith Jr.

Dennis Smith Jr. was in foul trouble early on and played just 10 minutes off the bench in the Knicks' loss. He finished with two points and an assist.

"I think it's just rhythm. Just finding himself again. We'll get him there," Fizdale said. "It's tough, we've been together two and a half weeks as a team, three week, and he got knocked out for a week or so there. Just got to get him back into a rhythm, get him feeling his teammates, understanding his teammates. It's a long season."

Smith Jr. missed roughly two weeks of training camp/preseason with a back injury. When asked about Fizdale's assessment that more time with his new teammates and on the court in general would help get him untracked, Smith Jr. agreed.

"I believe so," Smith Jr. said. "I have a vision for myself that maybe no one else believes in, but I got it for myself. I can't let anyone get in the way of that."

- Fizdale felt the ball stopped moving too much during San Antonio's big fourth-quarter run.

- New York was outrebounded, 10-5, on the offensive glass and gave up 15 second-chance points.

- Fizdale has made rebounding and defense a point of emphasis in the preseason.

- Frank Ntilikina had two turnovers in three minutes in a second-half substitution for Payton, who was in foul trouble.

I have to say only one game in but I love RJ Barrett. The guy is ready to take NYC by storm and he already in game one is showing that he is gonna be the best player on the team. What separates good players from superstars are that superstars are ready to take over the team and implant themselves as the best player, not wait for their time. RJ Barrett is showing he is that kinda guy you can build around as he is clearly gonna fix our identity and make it Barrett and Co.

Also I really like what I saw from Julius Randle, even if it is one game. He looks like a great compliment to Barrett and we definitely are not the same when he isn't on the court.

Morris is consistent and definitely a good role player to have on a contending team. I think he is the perfect player to come off the bench when we get more developed, but for now he can start and show the rooks how it is done. But I think we got a superstar building here in RJ Barrett.

Bring up Ivan Raab while Mitch is out. He is 6'11" and more of a rim protector than Portis. He gave us fits in Memphis last season. Glad to have him on the team. A real sleeper move by Perry!

OK. First game of the year. I was going back and forth from the world Series to the Knick game. Like Randle. Morris will be good, but on any other team,. his scoring will be less. Love Rj. The team was not playing bad except for that 18-0 lull run at the end. Once again, pg position sucks. First game and training camp and Fiz hasn't got a clue and yes , I blame him. I have not been impressed with DSjr. for last season and the first game. Been disappointed with Frank for two seasons and now the opener. If Payton is the starter, well, he is really a backup but at least showed decent defense and had 8 assists with 0 turnovers, still hardly a hiccup. Long way to go, but I like the team. Not going to give Fitz much credit with all the talking he does. Maybe 30 wins if they are lucky. Just saying. Hope for the better.

Quote Originally Posted by Knicks Boogie View Post
    Bring up Ivan Raab while Mitch is out. He is 6'11" and more of a rim protector than Portis. He gave us fits in Memphis last season. Glad to have him on the team. A real sleeper move by Perry!
    How long is Mitch out for? Really need him.

Frank NEEDS to play more. The guy can not be getting 3 minutes a game for a lot of games and DNP for a lot of other games. Like I just don't understand what he did to Fitz to make him so disliked. The guy needs an opportunity to learn and grow from his mistakes, not be scared to make mistakes because he won't play if he makes a mistake

I thought the activity on defense was pretty good, we were on the way to a blow out in that first quarter, really think without all the turnovers we forced this would've been a 30 point loss. Other notes

How sad would this season look without RJ, had we gotten the 4th or 5th pick?

Randle looked solid but this front court of him and Portis up front I don't love it. we needed Taj out there too much, hope Mitch is back soon.

Curious to hear from all those who kept saying the Payton signing was terrible or pointless. Dennis looked like he forgot how to play out there, he's just making so many bad decisions that it's hard to chalk it up all to rust.

Frank got a chance and subsequently cost us several possessions, neither of these dudes looked playable tonight - I will say I wonder if things go Frank's way if he gets that first goaltending no call, such a momentum killer.

Knox looked good off the bench. Liking his offense off the bench, defense still pretty bad.

Payton should be starting next game, but I wonder if he will pivot that quickly

Quote Originally Posted by kyubi256 View Post
    Frank NEEDS to play more. The guy can not be getting 3 minutes a game for a lot of games and DNP for a lot of other games. Like I just don't understand what he did to Fitz to make him so disliked. The guy needs an opportunity to learn and grow from his mistakes, not be scared to make mistakes because he won't play if he makes a mistake
    Did you see the 4-5 minutes he played? - I think he would've had a longer leash if it wasn't the fourth quarter - But he was literally costing us the game out there. Back to back turnovers and an attrocious and 1 foul on Murray. They had to get him out of there to get Payton back on Murray. It was a mercy sub

Quote Originally Posted by strahan92osi72 View Post
    How long is Mitch out for? Really need him.
    They're calling it day to day - Lets see

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn2timer View Post
    I thought the activity on defense was pretty good, we were on the way to a blow out in that first quarter, really think without all the turnovers we forced this would've been a 30 point loss. Other notes

How sad would this season look without RJ, had we gotten the 4th or 5th pick?

Randle looked solid but this front court of him and Portis up front I don't love it. we needed Taj out there too much, hope Mitch is back soon.

Curious to hear from all those who kept saying the Payton signing was terrible or pointless. Dennis looked like he forgot how to play out there, he's just making so many bad decisions that it's hard to chalk it up all to rust.

Frank got a chance and subsequently cost us several possessions, neither of these dudes looked playable tonight - I will say I wonder if things go Frank's way if he gets that first goaltending no call, such a momentum killer.

Knox looked good off the bench. Liking his offense off the bench, defense still pretty bad.

Payton should be starting next game, but I wonder if he will pivot that quickly
    Payton shut me up for the night.... but still it comes down to, is he a good long term fit here next to RJ? I don't see it, and if he's not... then its kind of pointless him playing over DSJR or Frank... and yes I thought that non goal tend hurt Frank... wasnt his night.

Quote Originally Posted by kyubi256 View Post
    True, but when Iím watching the games and I see guys like frank and DSJ playing the way they did last night,
    Iím yelling at the coach through the television as if he can hear me haha to yank them from the game.

I think this team is gonna have to forge it's identity around scrappy defense and pushing the break. That was really nice to watch during that stretch where we took over the game. That's how you get by without half court shooting, you keep it a full court game.

RJ is a star in the making, he looks like he could be a 2-way superstar as well.

Shooting is gonna haunt us all season and we really don't have a legit starting lineup to throw out there with balance, so I think our best bet is to try and play our best defenders around RJ and Randle who have to be featured starters and scrap games out that way.

Page 11 of 20 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast