Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 20 12311 ... LastLast

Game Thread #1 - Welcome to season 2019-2020; Knicks @ Spurs

@

Time: 8:30 PM EST

Televised- MSG

The San Antonio Spurs and New York Knicks took decidedly different tacks to get to the opening of the 2019-20 NBA season, which begins for both on Wednesday night when the teams square off in San Antonio.

The traditionally non-flashy Spurs mostly stood pat in the player department, and the Knicks, coming off a franchise-worst-tying 17-65 campaign, all but remade their roster.

With a core of center/forward LaMarcus Aldridge, shooting guard DeMar DeRozan and point guard Derrick White, San Antonio went 48-34 last season and pushed the second-seeded Denver Nuggets to seven games before bowing out in the first round of the playoffs.

It was the 22nd consecutive trip to the playoffs for the Spurs, which extended their NBA record.

San Antonio's biggest addition, third-year guard Dejounte Murray, was with the team last year but missed the entire campaign with a knee injury suffered in the preseason. On Monday, the team signed Murray to a contract extension reported to be for four years and $64 million.

The Spurs added forwards Trey Lyles and DeMarre Carroll to bolster the frontcourt and resigned Rudy Gay.

San Antonio can send a variety of lineups to the court depending how it wants to match up with its opponents. The roster is loaded with guards and contains a mix of veterans and youthful players, all fully invested into coach Gregg Popovich's defense-first scheme.

"It feels good going into the season with the depth that we have, the bodies that we have and being dynamic and be able to in any combination that we feel fits," DeRozan said. "Everybody is understanding of their role, their plays, and the type of style that we have to play, and is aware and understands what is asked of them."

Popovich was asked last week if he had seen any improvement in the team's defense since the start of training camp.

"Not yet," he replied in his typical fashion. "We still stink."

Don't expect that situation to continue. New York could face the brunt of the Spurs' continuing steps toward improvement.

The Knicks have fallen short of the postseason for the past six years and haven't played meaningful games after March 1 in five of those. In 2018-19, New York's record was the league's worst.

That dismal performance earned the Knicks the third overall pick in the draft, which turned into former Duke star RJ Barrett, who is just 19 years old. New York also signed free agent Julius Randle, and those two players, along with Dennis Smith Jr., could be difference-makers for the Knicks.

"We're building," Randle said. "It's going to take time, but I like where we're going. We just have to have patience. The process is going to take time, but we're going to get there."

Knicks coach David Fizdale said he has a good mix of talented players.

"I don't have a gauge or number, but I do think this team can be a lot better," Fizdale said. "The guys all add a different skill set that we didn't have before. We added more shooting, couple more playmakers, we got some guys that can post. I feel like this team is maybe further ahead than last year's team."

Glad Knicks basketball is back!

I read Mitch is out with a sprained ankle.. bummer, hopefully RJ can start this season out right for us..

the home of Heavy D, Ben Gordon, Diddy, Denzel washington and me
    Any idea on a starting line up for tonight??

I'm hoping the more important question is who is finishing tonight, which means if important we are in the game and who is playing well.

Marc Berman‏ @NYPost_Berman · 2m2 minutes ago

Rumblings in arena are Fizdale was leaning toward Barrett-Trier backcourt without true point guard. Fizdale will meet media shortly to announce starting lineup.

If this is true all those things that were said about Fiz lol

Ian Begley‏Verified account @IanBegley · 30s31 seconds ago

Knicks starting lineup: Allonzo Trier, RJ Barrett, Marcus Morris, Julius Randle, Bobby Portis.

Ouch!

Fiz said no pg, they have to earn it..........

What happened to having a great camp and killing it? Hmmm?

Marc Berman‏ @NYPost_Berman · 4m4 minutes ago

Barrett-Trier will start, Fizdale says. No point guard. “They have to earn it.”

Quote Originally Posted by still a fan View Post
    Ouch!

Fiz said no pg, they have to earn it..........

What happened to having a great camp and killing it? Hmmm?

Love It. Ladies and Gents. I introduce Allonzo Trier. The assassin everyone counted out.

i'm fine with it, they all stunk and I'm just really happy it didn't go to Payton by default.

Frank was the only reasonable choice of the 3 since he at least brings very good D but he was awful on offense.

Now lets see if Trier really wants to shed the ISO ZO... and see if he can do other things besides score. golden op for him.

Biv got to give you this one man, damn no way saw this coming. I do give Fiz credit though.

Ian Begley‏Verified account @IanBegley · 51s51 seconds ago

Ian Begley Retweeted Ian Begley

David Fizdale said he liked the way RJ Barrett and Allonzo Trier played together in the preseason. He said the lineup could change but, reading between the lines, it sounded like it any change would be based on performance rather than a desire to match up with a given opponent.

Way to start the season off right with this thread Still.

We have to beat the Spurs tonight, Pop is talking shet already...

http://bleacherreport.com/post/san-a...8-322f404bb98a

Quote Originally Posted by still a fan View Post
    Biv got to give you this one man, damn no way saw this coming. I do give Fiz credit though.
    Actually Biv said that Iggy should run the point...lmao

Wow, shocked that Fiz stuck with the keep what you kill mentality. Earn It.

Page 1 of 20 12311 ... LastLast