Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    Quote Originally Posted by Saddletramp View Post
    If itís true that his max woulda been $125 and he got $118 then Ainge dropped thevall again. I doubt anyone wouldíve had that much for Brown. Then again, maybe itís best just to make the guy happy and bond now instead having that tension all year like others have assumed.
    I mean, he's 22. It's advantageous for both sides to strike a deal right now. Even if he was slighty overpaid (I'm not saying he was or wasn't, idc either way).

Quote Originally Posted by beasted86 View Post
    It's easy to say "someone" without context. Can you suggest some realistic teams with space? I believe there's less than you think.

I'd rather gamble. The savings wasn't much versus a full max anyway. Without doing the math, the full max offer sheet should have been around $125M, right?
    Cleveland, Atlanta, Memphis to name a few. Those types of rebuilding teams have nothing to lose. They have cap space and are looking for young players that can develop into something for their rosters because no big name FAs will ever go there.

Locking him up now was smart. Saves you the angst of questions/pressure/etc during the season and possible bad blood etc. After the Kyrie/chemistry fiasco etc, Cs standing by their guys and paying them. They took care of Smart last year (everyone thought it was overpay as well) and that deal looks better now as well in hindsight. They are betting for similar thing with JB. He had a very high ceiling which they think he can get to.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by ZH721 View Post
    I must be looking at the wrong Tobias Harris. Since when is this guy anything other than an inconsistent but talented scorer? Brown is already a better defender, more athletic, and has the same career 3PT%.
    He consistently scores. Brown is the guy I would worry about disappearing. He is dependent on pace and space for his offense and can be bottled up. I also haven't sen him attempt a 3 with someone within 10 feet of him. He is a worse shooter but this isn't about Harris who the Sixers had to pay if they weren't paying Butler. Its about Brown is who is on a team that has a glut of wings and had the option to wait but who paid a guy who hasn't performed or shown the skill set to warrant this deal. It's a bad contract.

Quote Originally Posted by Raps08-09 Champ View Post
    My dick is named 'Ewing'.

Atleast we didn't overpay a PG type player that can't shoot

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
    One More Time

Quote Originally Posted by ewing View Post
    He consistently scores. Brown is the guy I would worry about disappearing. He is dependent on pace and space for his offense and can be bottled up. I also haven't sen him attempt a 3 with someone within 10 feet of him. He is a worse shooter but this isn't about Harris who the Sixers had to pay if they weren't paying Butler. Its about Brown is who is on a team that has a glut of wings and had the option to wait but who paid a guy who hasn't performed or shown the skill set to warrant this deal. It's a bad contract.
    It really isnít a bad deal though lol. It doesnít even start until NEXT year. This year is still him building up to his potential. If he plateaus or gets worse, then this deal may be looked at as bad.

Sometimes you have to pay for potential. He was getting this deal either way. Losing him to FA for nothing in a year wouldíve been stupid.

It really isnít a bad deal though lol. It doesnít even start until NEXT year. This year is still him building up to his potential. If he plateaus or gets worse, then this deal may be looked at as bad.

Sometimes you have to pay for potential. He was getting this deal either way. Losing him to FA for nothing in a year wouldíve been stupid.
    Iím not so sure he does get that deal either way.

He would been a RFA, his max isnít much more, he wasnít definitely getting this deal, and they have a lot of wings. Itís not the worst deal but it is an overpay and unlike the Sixers they were under no pressure to do it

He would been a RFA, his max isnít much more, he wasnít definitely getting this deal, and they have a lot of wings. Itís not the worst deal but it is an overpay and unlike the Sixers they were under no pressure to do it

Iím kind of annoyed we did this now but I do think thereís some downside to the wait and see approach that youíre not factoring in.

These players arenít robots. This isnít a video game. Thereís real human emotion evolved. Jaylen was one of the players who reportedly argued most with Kyrie last year of an attitude of why should they adjust to him when they went so far without him - he should adjust to them was his stance. Kemba seems to respect BOSís core as a group thatís shown it can win but thereís still that dynamic at play with him coming in. Terry Rozier was complete and utter trash because he couldnít reconcile his role to how it helped him get paid this offseason. Brown would be in a contract year just the same and he probably is the 4th best perimeter offensive option if Hayward progresses well.

From a pure business standpoint I donít think Boston got enough of a discount to sign him now. But factoring in how a contract year could impact the human side of things I feel better about Brown individually and the team chemistry overall because I think this removed something that could have reared its ugly head in the locker room this year. And coming off last years debacle I do see some value in that. I think thatís probably why they acted now.

NE Patriots Forum HOF (Class of 2011)

Jaylen Brown, Celtics Agree to 4-Year, $115M Contract Extension

Quote Originally Posted by hugepatsfan View Post
    Iím kind of annoyed we did this now but I do think thereís some downside to the wait and see approach that youíre not factoring in.

These players arenít robots. This isnít a video game. Thereís real human emotion evolved. Jaylen was one of the players who reportedly argued most with Kyrie last year of an attitude of why should they adjust to him when they went so far without him - he should adjust to them was his stance. Kemba seems to respect BOSís core as a group thatís shown it can win but thereís still that dynamic at play with him coming in. Terry Rozier was complete and utter trash because he couldnít reconcile his role to how it helped him get paid this offseason. Brown would be in a contract year just the same and he probably is the 4th best perimeter offensive option if Hayward progresses well.

From a pure business standpoint I donít think Boston got enough of a discount to sign him now. But factoring in how a contract year could impact the human side of things I feel better about Brown individually and the team chemistry overall because I think this removed something that could have reared its ugly head in the locker room this year. And coming off last years debacle I do see some value in that. I think thatís probably why they acted now.
    Sound like he might not play well enough to earn a big contract so you gave him a big contract. Regardless you want to pay your 4th option that kind of money?

Last edited by ewing; 10-22-2019 at 10:39 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by PAOboston View Post
    They are pretty justified in not it throwing any assets for the rumored players they were linked with. Butler/PG/Leonard/Davis all forced their way to other destinations and would not have stayed. Cs would have ended up with nothing and in a much worse spot right now.

Cs did make all the right moves. They pulled the trigger on Kyrie. And they got Horford and Hayward in FA. The Hayward injury really derailed them. Thatís just bad luck. He was a top 25 player. Who knows how it would have been had that never happened. At this point they are better off committing to the young guys and keeping a core of Smart/Brown/Tatum while Hayward gets traded/comes off the books.

They traded for Kyrie when he wasn't on their list of teams and had never proven himself as a leader. LOL, it was the right move because IT was busted but hes not the kind of player I would target. At least Kawhi (and the rest) could win

Quote Originally Posted by TrueFan420 View Post
    Iím not so sure he does get that deal either way.
    He 100% does. Between he age, whatís heís already shown, great defense and athleticism, along with his potential, heíd get this offer from several teams. Heíd have to get injured really bad to not receive it.

He 100% does. Between he age, whatís heís already shown, great defense and athleticism, along with his potential, heíd get this offer from several teams. Heíd have to get injured really bad to not receive it.
    Completely disagree. Heís flashed great defense but hasnít shown it consistently. If he plays like he did last year he wonít get that offer. Plus heís RFA which will possibly scare teams off cause it can be matched. Iím not even sure thereís that many teams with Cap Space next year and a hole at G. And even if he did get that same offer, thereís no reason to give it to him now before heís shown heís worth it. This is a classic bidding against yourself moment.

Overpay. But I don't mind them doing it. With their cap situation they won't be free agent players anyway.

Gotta ship him or Hayward out to upgrade the five spot. Easier said then done though. Or at least get a rim protecting 4 man that can complement Kanter's atrocious defense.

Would you rather have Brown, who turned 23 five days ago, at 4/$115M or Horford at age 33 at 4/$109M?
    Different teams, different needs; strengths and weaknesses I get it.
    Suffice to say Philly better cash in soon...and that means a ring.
    Last edited by rc33; 10-29-2019 at 12:55 PM.

It's definitely an overpay, but it won't handicap the team. I don't believe this will ever become an Andrew Wiggins contract.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234