Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 67 of 69 FirstFirst ... 17576566676869 LastLast
Results 991 to 1,005 of 1026
    Quote Originally Posted by aman_13 View Post
    I mean i know where he will go with it and i'm certainly not going to go down that path again, but i certainly didn't expect Siakam to make that type of jump.
    Well, to be clear I never expected Siakam to be a guy that was the leading scorer on his team either.

Sent from my SM-A520W using Tapatalk
    Quote Originally Posted by nycericanguy View Post
    well unfortunately it looks like you were right about Bargs...

but hopefully we can use his expiring, if not at least we unloaded Novak's deal...

It was nice of Norm to go off for a new career high right after I say he needs to get more shots..😁

With the NBA going small, it plays right into Powell's game. When there are no shot blockers protecting the rim he cant be stopped.

Another guy this small ball craze benefits is Terrence Davis. His athleticism and ability to easily palm a basketball lrts him do things that reminds me of the best SG to ever play....When he dunked all over the Warriors the other night (...twice...) It actually reminded me of a young MJ.

Now I'm not saying he's the next MJ or DWade, but that's the kind of athleticism and body that he has. The fact that he can already shoot the 3 and play elite level D as a rookie to go with that elite athleticism is almost scary. I don't know what his ceiling is, but with his physical tools and blue collar work ethic at getting better.....it is really, really high.

But then again Powell is young still...well he's born in 93 so that puts him at like 26 about to be 27 this year and for Davis he's born 1997 that puts him at 22 years old about to be 23. So do they have potential to get better? Yeah they do but then again it not only comes down to athleticism but having the right mentality to go with it. I mean Norm Powell his idol was the late Kobe Bryant so he says he's been dedicating his play as of late to Kobe but can Powell make it to that next level and become a future star for the Raptors? It's possible but only if he steps up come playoff time. As far as Davis, he has a lot of time. He's a rookie still but he's going to get his 1st taste of playoff basketball come April and then and only then will we see if he can get to that next level.

Quote Originally Posted by Jamiecballer View Post
    Well, to be clear I never expected Siakam to be a guy that was the leading scorer on his team either.

I thought he could do it, but maybe not on a contender.

Quote Originally Posted by Tg11 View Post
    But then again Powell is young still...well he's born in 93 so that puts him at like 26 about to be 27 this year and for Davis he's born 1997 that puts him at 22 years old about to be 23. So do they have potential to get better? Yeah they do but then again it not only comes down to athleticism but having the right mentality to go with it. I mean Norm Powell his idol was the late Kobe Bryant so he says he's been dedicating his play as of late to Kobe but can Powell make it to that next level and become a future star for the Raptors? It's possible but only if he steps up come playoff time. As far as Davis, he has a lot of time. He's a rookie still but he's going to get his 1st taste of playoff basketball come April and then and only then will we see if he can get to that next level.
    Powell always steps up in the playoffs. Infact, what we are seeing from him this season is him finally bringing what he brings in the playoffs to the season.

Powell has literally won series for us.

Quote Originally Posted by bartron_44 View Post
    It was nice of Norm to go off for a new career high right after I say he needs to get more shots..😁

With the NBA going small, it plays right into Powell's game. When there are no shot blockers protecting the rim he cant be stopped.

Another guy this small ball craze benefits is Terrence Davis. His athleticism and ability to easily palm a basketball lrts him do things that reminds me of the best SG to ever play....When he dunked all over the Warriors the other night (...twice...) It actually reminded me of a young MJ.

Now I'm not saying he's the next MJ or DWade, but that's the kind of athleticism and body that he has. The fact that he can already shoot the 3 and play elite level D as a rookie to go with that elite athleticism is almost scary. I don't know what his ceiling is, but with his physical tools and blue collar work ethic at getting better.....it is really, really high.
    **** it. Lets take a stab at it. Ill make a thread.

Quote Originally Posted by ChongInc. View Post
    I thought he could do it, but maybe not on a contender.
    His playmaking was the biggest surprise that season. He was running the floor, playing with energy, his defense was elite. The three-point shot showed flashes of promise but then he struggled. There was some debate here over how he would improve in that area going forward based on his mechanics. His handles needed work. Him taking over as their second-leading scorer the following season was a pleasant surprise for me and i know Nurse acknowledged that he wasn't expecting that.
    Last edited by aman_13; 03-08-2020 at 04:46 PM.
    Its about winning, Stoudemire said. You win, youre going to get on national TV. Simple. In Phoenix, we won Western Conference finals three, four years, playoffs every year. We won. If you dont win, nobody really wants to see you.

Quote Originally Posted by Jamiecballer View Post

Yeah but the leap he took from that year to the next is still huge.
    Its about winning, Stoudemire said. You win, youre going to get on national TV. Simple. In Phoenix, we won Western Conference finals three, four years, playoffs every year. We won. If you dont win, nobody really wants to see you.

Norm has really improved with finishing around the rim.. His issue was never getting to the bucket but finishing. This year he's been way better and his aggressiveness stands out to me most. In years prior you'd see flashes of this year's play but it was never consistent. This year it seems like the minute he touches the ball he knows what he's going to do with it. There's no hesitation or second guessing and he's finishing on his drives. I can't count how many times this guy would do everything perfect only to bounce the ball off the back board on a lay up. His touch is much improved.

I'm starting to wonder if guys like Siakam, Freddy, Norm are a product of the system. Would they be this good on another team? Do we need to credit Nurse a little more for their development? Was nurse the coach when these guys were in the 905? Is it a coincidence that all three of them blossomed the way they have with Casey's departure? Makes you wonder

Quote Originally Posted by smith&wesson View Post
    Norm has really improved with finishing around the rim.. His issue was never getting to the bucket but finishing. This year he's been way better and his aggressiveness stands out to me most. In years prior you'd see flashes of this year's play but it was never consistent. This year it seems like the minute he touches the ball he knows what he's going to do with it. There's no hesitation or second guessing and he's finishing on his drives. I can't count how many times this guy would do everything perfect only to bounce the ball off the back board on a lay up. His touch is much improved.
    Siakam could use some of this. Hes been clutch though cant complain.

I think norms confidence on 3s is the game changer. He has also added that fake pass to his drives which is really opening up a couple layups/game.

I'm starting to wonder if guys like Siakam, Freddy, Norm are a product of the system. Would they be this good on another team? Do we need to credit Nurse a little more for their development? Was nurse the coach when these guys were in the 905? Is it a coincidence that all three of them blossomed the way they have with Casey's departure? Makes you wonder
    I dont wonder about any of that stuff. I fully believe it to be true.

Nurse was never a g league coach for us, but he worked with the bench mob in the offseason before they turned into the best mob in the league (derozans last year). Casey would have put them in a role-box and they would t have the ceiling they have now.

Masai though. Hes the one putting everything in place.

There are a lot of factors that weigh in I think. Masai and his management team know exactly the type of character traits they are looking for to fit with this group when they bring someone in. The organization as a whole puts a ton of resources into players development. Coaches put players in situations to succeed. Veterans on the team model by example. Team success intrinsically reinforces the continuity of the current culture.

Everybody has to be able to play defense and everybody has to work on their shooting (RHJ being the unsuccessful story here but he still offers enough to impact the game positively). Accountability comes from upper management, through the coaching staff, through the veterans and then to the new members acculturating to the team. It is really quite remarkable.

There is no doubt in my mind that players are far more likely to develop into impact players by joining this franchise. Teams like the Knicks or Bulls offer plenty of minutes and opportunity to young players (and have much higher draft picks to choose the talent they want!), but don't have close to the same culture of development that we have. So we have late first rounders (Anunoby, Siakam), 2nd rounders (Powell), undrafted players (FVV, Davis, Boucher) all becoming players that are highly impactful and highly coveted while around the league we see players like Carter Jr, Markanen, Bamba, Smith Jr, Knox, Jackson, Ntilikina, Monk, Kennard, Dunn, Bender, Chriss, etc etc... all lottery picks, with limited impact.
    Last edited by pebloemer; 03-10-2020 at 03:38 PM.

Yeah but then again Raptors are what now? 46 wins now...46-18 record...already clinched their playoff spot but what they should be doin is preparing for the playoffs. By that I mean winning more games especially for seeding purposes but then again y'all can't catch Milwaukee because they already at 53 wins. At best Raptors gettin another 50 win or 50 plus win season is inevitable but as far as how many games y'all can finish up with is 64 provided y'all win all 18 of your remaining games and go on an 18 game win streak. At best I think y'all finish with 55 wins (55-27) and that's me being generous.

Plus in the playoffs it is a whole different ball game compared to regular season and yeah this gon be your 1st playoff run without Kawhi. Then we will see if last year y'all was for real or if y'all was a fluke. Either way it all comes down to health and well Powell just went down yet again which doesn't look good for y'all.