Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 40 of 57 FirstFirst ... 30383940414250 ... LastLast
    Funny Philly fan talking smack to Serge after getting fouled out and Serge motioning his ring finger.

It is all about the bling, lol.

We the Champs, you cant take that away from us.

Quote Originally Posted by Raps Insider 12 View Post
    Funny Philly fan talking smack to Serge after getting fouled out and Serge motioning his ring finger.

Haha love it!

Sent from my SM-A530W using Tapatalk
    ďItís about winning,Ē Stoudemire said. ďYou win, youíre going to get on national TV. Simple. In Phoenix, we won ó Western Conference finals three, four years, playoffs every year. We won. If you donít win, nobody really wants to see you.Ē

Quote Originally Posted by Raps Insider 12 View Post

Oh yeah. Thatís good stuff. And I donít think Philly is built to win. You need a guard that can shoot in this NBA.

So the Raptors defense... Hard to complain about the full body of work, but I find myself wondering about some of these schemes. I know, you are praised when it works and criticized when it doesn't... These aggressive double teams though. I am fine with Embiid seeing a taste, but why Simmons? He wants to pass... and is very good at it. 76ers shot incredibly, but they were all pretty open looks. Harden was on a scoring tear, but he teams was losing. Why stick to an aggressive double on him when it continuously isn't working all game?

I'm not an NBA coach, but got as much as the defensive schemes were praised, I think it is reasonable to voice its limitations.

Defensive rebounding is the other issue with all these schemes. Harder to box out playing zone and allowing a lot of 3's. We have a lot of strong individual defenders, do others agree we should play more man to man?

(I should state, I love the idea of mixing up looks, but Nurse seems to be aggressively avoiding the traditional look of late).
    Last edited by pebloemer; 12-09-2019 at 08:08 PM.

Gonna throw this out too. Lowry moving forward is a role player. He got a huge extension next year because he deserves it, but his role for this team moving forward is a bench leader. Lowry, Davis, RHJ, Boucher, Ibaka is a great bench. FVV, Powell, OG, Siakam, Gasol are good starters.

Quote Originally Posted by pebloemer View Post
    So the Raptors defense... Hard to complain about the full body of work, but I find myself wondering about some of these schemes. I know, you are praised when it works and criticized when it doesn't... These aggressive double teams though. I am fine with Embiid seeing a taste, but why Simmons? He wants to pass... and is very good at it. 76ers shot incredibly, but they were all pretty open looks. Harden was on a scoring tear, but he teams was losing. Why stick to an aggressive double on him when it continuously isn't working all game?

I'm not an NBA coach, but got as much as the defensive schemes were praised, I think it is reasonable to voice its limitations.

Defensive rebounding is the other issue with all these schemes. Harder to box out playing zone and allowing a lot of 3's. We have a lot of strong individual defenders, do others agree we should play more man to man?

(I should state, I love the idea of mixing up looks, but Nurse seems to be aggressively avoiding the traditional look of late).
    Itís all practise my man.
    Hopefully he knows what/when to deploy by the playoffs.

Gonna throw this out too. Lowry moving forward is a role player. He got a huge extension next year because he deserves it, but his role for this team moving forward is a bench leader. Lowry, Davis, RHJ, Boucher, Ibaka is a great bench. FVV, Powell, OG, Siakam, Gasol are good starters.
    I donít know if that will happen this year, and tbh I hope we donít. If I want any PG on the bench itís FVV because Iím so worried about his next contract limiting our future.

Yikes, this is bad basketball we are watching. The spacing is very poor, guys are cutting when they are not supposed to and not cutting when they should. They are struggling from the outside as well.

The Bulls are just packing the paint.

ďItís about winning,Ē Stoudemire said. ďYou win, youíre going to get on national TV. Simple. In Phoenix, we won ó Western Conference finals three, four years, playoffs every year. We won. If you donít win, nobody really wants to see you.Ē

Nick should of called a timeout there.

Yeah they were catching teams by surprise early and now they have adjusted. The Heat were prepared for the Raptors' traps as well and were able keep their turnovers low despite being a high turnover team.

I dont expect it to change too much, but I'm sure he will make adjustments. The defense has been fine overall though, it's the offense that has sputtered.

Quote Originally Posted by aman_13 View Post
    Yeah they were catching teams by surprise early and now they have adjusted. The Heat were prepared for the Raptors' traps as well and were able keep their turnovers low despite being a high turnover team.

I dont expect it to change too much, but I'm sure he will make adjustments. The defense has been fine overall though, it's the offense that has sputtered.

This is just a guess but:
    I think most of the comics has been on the defensive side of things. Chemistry and young guys fighting for minutes has propped up our offence.
    I expect the offence to be expanded on as we get closer to the all star game.

Quote Originally Posted by ChongInc. View Post
    I donít know if that will happen this year, and tbh I hope we donít. If I want any PG on the bench itís FVV because Iím so worried about his next contract limiting our future.
    Fair comment. And I think I agree. I am probably overreacting to some of the poor offense over the past few games.

Quote Originally Posted by smith&wesson View Post
    I think we need to move Gasol asap, move ibaka to starting five and let Boucher go back to the role he was excelling in. Gasol is a depreciating asset tick tick tock tock
    I think the moment he is gone, we'll realize how valuable he is to this group. The shot looks bad far too often, but he does so much for the cohesion of this team.

An article for thought:

When it comes to Gasol, the traditional counting stats don't come remotely close to properly quantifying his profound impact. On the surface, those pedestrian per-game averages leaves plenty to be desired and could even spark chatter about whether or not Gasol should remain entrenched as the starter in Toronto.

But to lean solely on the box score is to ignore what's beyond apparent when watching the tape. It's not just that the Raptors are a better defensive team with Gasol on the floor, it's why they are a better defensive team that truly stands out. Not only are the Raptors allowing 7.0 fewer points per 100 possessions when he's in the game compared to on the bench, Gasol's presence allows Nurse to implement a mixed bag of aggressive schemes on the wings knowing that his veteran anchor can adjust and respond to nearly every counter thrown their way.
    Whenever Gasol is on the floor, the Raptors only allow 40.3 points in the paint per 48 minutes, a figure that would rank second in the NBA behind only the Milwaukee Bucks. Gasol wreaks havoc on the interior attack of every opponent which in turn springs Toronto's deadly transition game in which Pascal Siakam, Kyle Lowry and Fred VanVleet rank among the league's very best.
    Not only do the Raptors rank as he best fastbreak scoring team in the NBA, they're much more prolific at doing it whenever Gasol is in the game. He might not be draining transition 3s or finishing alley-oops, but make no mistake - Gasol's interior D is the unheralded secret sauce that deserves more attention.

That Toronto's stout D is at it's best when Gasol is on the floor isn't strictly due to on/off noise either. Toronto's best defensive lineups - regardless of who else is on the floor - have one thing in common: Marc Gasol. While defensive rating is not perfect science that always leads to the conclusion that defence is good or bad, it indicates trends, and what data like this reveals is that Toronto is simply a better team with the Catalan on the court.
    In the first clip above, Gasol is able to effectively rotate and contest what should have been an easy bucket off a curl. It's certainly not your traditional post-up but it's the type of play that lends itself to Gasol allowing just 0.42 points per play on post-ups which ranks among the best in the NBA.
    Even just casual viewing of Raptors' games shows the obvious impact that Gasol has on the defensive end. His eyes chase and capture movement, distinguishing between real danger and picking up on tactical decoys, reacting to them in fractions of a second. His size and spacial recognition - particularly in the restricted area - results not only in blocked shots, but deflections on cutters and entry passes alike (Gasol's 1.5 deflections per game are nearly identical to the 1.6 for two-time reigning Defensive Player of the Year Rudy Gobert).

Every team that aspires to play with pace has to strike a delicate balance between leaking out and protecting the defensive glass. And in that sense, the Raptors have found in Marc Gasol the perfect orchestrator. Not only is he an ace at rotating to cause havoc, he's an adept passer that's able to gather off blocks, deflections and defensive rebounds to quickly lookahead for quick-hitting outlet passes. He might not thread highlight reel 50-foot chest passes like Kevin Love but there's an understated brilliance to the manner in which Gasol's quick-witted passing generates a maelstrom of an offensive attack for the Raptors.
    https://ca.nba.com/news/marc-gasol-i...b113xlhk7unrqk

I think the moment he is gone, we'll realize how valuable he is to this group. The shot looks bad far too often, but he does so much for the cohesion of this team.

An article for thought:

https://ca.nba.com/news/marc-gasol-i...b113xlhk7unrqk
    Good post.

His defence late in the game likely won us that game against Chicago.

From the past couple games it looks like Lowry has been shooting himself into rhythm and trying to take over. I think Fred was better at picking his spots and was more receptive to delegating shots to other players. I donít think Lowry was forcing as much to begin the season.

Page 40 of 57 FirstFirst ... 30383940414250 ... LastLast