Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Aaron Judge: Superstar or Overrated ?

This discussion needs to happen.

While I see him as an otherworldly defender, he’s become rendered almost useless as an offensive player in the postseason. I can’t recall even one late game hit he’s had when it mattered over the last three playoff runs.

He’s so easy to get out for top teams. Teams are happy to walk him. At some point, the ‘pass the baton’ thing is a detriment for the #2 hitter in our lineup who’s expected to produce.

He has struck out 41 times in 101 postseason at bats. Sure he walks a lot but is that what we need?

He’s missed a ton of games the last two years as well, maybe not his fault.

The guy is a great guy and teammate and the face of the team.

But is he really a #1 asset to a championship team?

I view him more as Scottie Pippen than Michael Jordan. And that ain’t too bad.

Thoughts?
    Leo's Thought Of The Day

His rookie year was an outlier and inflated expectations. Unique player that teams struggled to adjust too but they caught up. There's a reason he was never a top 5 prospect in baseball - holes in his offensive game. He's still a really, really good player but he's not an MVP candidate like he was as a rookie.

Leo, I know you cite bad performances vs. HOU. He had a .321 OBP this year and a .357 against them 2 years ago. That's not bad. He's an awesome defender as you mention. He gets on base at a great clip and he has incredible power. He's low batting average and a strikeout machine. All that mixed together and you get an all star caliber player that's not in MVP discussion. Which is awesome to have.

"I don't think he's an MVP caliber player" shouldn't be taken as an insult. But because he had that incredible rookie year saying that feels like a letdown with him even though it shouldn't.

NE Patriots Forum HOF (Class of 2011)

Quote Originally Posted by hugepatsfan View Post
    His rookie year was an outlier and inflated expectations. Unique player that teams struggled to adjust too but they caught up. There's a reason he was never a top 5 prospect in baseball - holes in his offensive game. He's still a really, really good player but he's not an MVP candidate like he was as a rookie.

Leo, I know you cite bad performances vs. HOU. He had a .321 OBP this year and a .357 against them 2 years ago. That's not bad. He's an awesome defender as you mention. He gets on base at a great clip and he has incredible power. He's low batting average and a strikeout machine. All that mixed together and you get an all star caliber player that's not in MVP discussion. Which is awesome to have.

"I don't think he's an MVP caliber player" shouldn't be taken as an insult. But because he had that incredible rookie year saying that feels like a letdown with him even though it shouldn't.
    Perfectly said. Agree on all.

Va...heart between Giants Stadium and MSG
    Well, I have a question....I am a Yankees fan but still don't know a lot about baseball in gereral but learning more and more every year. I realize that AJ is a power hitter......a HR threat....do these guys practice hitting singles and doubles instead of hitting HR's all the time????

AJ became a household name from hitting HR's ....he hit a HR his first big league at bat.. But it seems to me that he's looking for that HR hit most of the time. And if that's the case, he can be easily baited into swinging at bad pitches.....I swear....none of these current Yankees even know how to put down a decent bunt....and that's a shame.

He's not a an MVP candidate now because he's too one dimensional. Where as his rookie season, he wasn't scouted yet.

I don't think he's overrated but he really needs to put in the work to get better at the plate. As with any player in any sport....if you stay hurt, you're not going to be great at your craft.

Quote Originally Posted by Missing56&33 View Post
    Well, I have a question....I am a Yankees fan but still don't know a lot about baseball in gereral but learning more and more every year. I realize that AJ is a power hitter......a HR threat....do these guys practice hitting singles and doubles instead of hitting HR's all the time????

AJ became a household name from hitting HR's ....he hit a HR his first big league at bat.. But it seems to me that he's looking for that HR hit most of the time. And if that's the case, he can be easily baited into swinging at bad pitches.....I swear....none of these current Yankees even know how to put down a decent bunt....and that's a shame.

He's not a an MVP candidate now because he's too one dimensional. Where as his rookie season, he wasn't scouted yet.

I don't think he's overrated but he really needs to put in the work to get better at the plate. As with any player in any sport....if you stay hurt, you're not going to be great at your craft.
    They are all trained to have uppercut swings to hit home runs because 1- You get paid more. 2- Stat nerds say home runs win.

But to win it all, you need to have contact hitters. I think the Astros struck out the least in MLB. And I think Boston did last year. Or they were both close.

Yanks and Judge waste way too many at bats striking out. And that’s why they’ll never win without change.

Aaron Judge to me is a superstar talent don't get me wrong...MVP caliber without a shadow of a doubt without question he is but in post season he cracks under the pressure.

I think he is great at what he does. Obviously the injuries have made it hard to judge him. But most pure power and on base guys aren't the clear cut guys on there teams. Judge isva tremendous player when healthy but hes not mike trout but a level below. Still top 10 player offensively if healthy. If I was running the yankees I'd be all over adding Rendon this offseason he had even said he doesn't want a super long deal.

I guess my problem with Judge is that does any team win with that type guy as your lead dog?

Boston and Houston have zero all or nothing guys. Their top 3-4-5 players do it all and don’t strike out like he does.

We have 5 all or nothing righ handed guys with Judge leading the pack. Difference for him is excellent defense.

Aaron Judge worked on a 2 strike approach in the off season and started out well, but then got hurt and it took a while for him to come back. I wouldn't be surprised if he is still a bit unhealed. K's are an issue. I also think his problem is adjustment to the pitcher's velocity. He waits on the ball to travel to hit it to Judge's chambers and that's OK with a mid 90s fastball, but he waits a tick too long on the 100 MPH ones and either doesn't pull the string or is a bit late.

I hate bringing up the umpires, but I think Judge needs to hold them accountable and argue a bit more for all the bad calls on him. He has to remind them that because he's tall, his lower strike zone is higher and just because his arms are long that doesn't mean that the outside strike is further away than the outer edge of home plate. He's such a draw that I'm often surprised the MLB doesn't actually talk to its umpires about getting the calls correct.

Still, Judge was out for 2 months with an oblique injury and not fully healthy when he returned and still hit 27 HRs which projects to 40 for the year. Even with his potential strikeout flaws, I'd take a perennial 40 HR hitting Gold Glove RF with a 98 MPH accurate throwing arm physical specimen clubhouse leader.

Several things with Judge. The league is catching up. His K zone is huge and umps penalize him. He's suffered an injury and may still be showing signs.
    “Farts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.” — Aldous Huxley
    "Not everything that counts can be counted and not everything that can be counted counts."--- Albert Einstein
    “Not everything that is faced can be changed, but nothing can be changed until it is faced.”---- James Baldwin

He is a great player who lacks support IMO. Jeter was Jeter because of Bernie, Posada and Matsui,...etc.

Bernie and O'Neil were the most feared hitters in the 1996-2001 Yankees run, that's why Jeter had all the opportunities he had to shine.

That's the thing with baseball if your best hitter is trying too much (see Bonds' struggles in the postseason prior to 2002 or A-Rod prior to 2009) as great he may be he will struggle. This ain't basketball, football, hockey or soccer.

I really believe Judge needs a great complimentary player who compliments him but yet don't have the same assets (see Stanton or Gary Sanchez). To me it was a mistake having DJ LeMahieu hit leadoff, I would have had him hit 3rd behind Judge and have Hicks leadoff (where he shined a year ago).

I believe Judge is not overrated but he ain't a superstar on the field either (one great season doesn't make you a superstar). He is just a great role model though, that's for sure.

Aaron Judge right now has the opportunity to be a LeBron type figure in the MLB in terms of his stats and his OBP

Judge is the bomb. He is an excellent, excellent player. If you want Mike Trout, he isn't that.

He isn't even the best player on the team. The 22 year old Gleyber is. Enjoy what you have, Back at it next season.
    Time to double down on the 'Spects!

Judge was arguably robbed of the MVP in his rookie year. Overrated? hardly.

Judge has had some pretty big moments and hit damn well in the post season, outside of the ALDS in 2017. He's hardly useless in the post season by any stretch of the imagination. Can he be pitched too, yes. Judge is a great player but he doesn't hit for a high batting average, so he has flaws. Not to mention, the unfair disadvantage of having umpires constantly call the low strike on him. However, with that said, he is a huge threat in the lineup and makes hitters around him better. In the end, I prefer hitters more like LeMathieu, but that doesn't take away what Judge can do.

Somewhere within the transmutation of Yin and Yang
    He is not a superstar.
    He is treated as if he were one but he is not. Superstar players rise to the occasion. He has not done that. Superstar players do anything to win, he has not shown that.

He was anointed superstar long before he earned it.

He is extremely talented. He is very charismatic. He is a great role model and leader.

There is one superstar on this team and he's 22.
    There is another superstar type player on the team. He is the team MVP.

**** off. Where's my title

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast