Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 5 of 159 FirstFirst ... 345671555105 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by DasBoot View Post
    We lost. They got the hits when it mattered and our starters couldnít go as long leaving our guys to get gassed.

But yeah, letís blame Giancarlo for being injured.

Aim your frustrations at the Steinbrennerís not at G who - if you listen or read - works his butt off to be on that field.
    Gassed?

Who?
    My top 5 Yankee playoff teams

5. 2009

What sucks we have to wait 22 more weeks for Opening Day and 2020 could be a year where nothing works.......

We might have lost our opportunity from 2017-2019...

I remember back in 1981 when the Yanks lost the WS and just figured we would be back in 1982 or for lots of seasons after....well, we had to wait for 14 years....

Verlander said yes to NY in a trade back in 2017.....Cashman and Hal were afraid of the money.....

They liked Andujar and didnít want to part with him for a package to get Cole....

Folks, we have lost opportunities and just thinking we can always get back in not that easy....

For one, you think Boston is finished?

Houston?

Now LA with Maddon, Trout and probably Cole?

Cashman needs to make painful trades and sometimes just go for it!

It looks like this organization will live or die with regards to the postseasons, if they get Gerit Cole or not.....
    Last edited by rrzubnyy; 10-21-2019 at 07:52 AM.

5. 2009

I would try to sign BOTH:

Cole and Strasburg!

Strasburg will opt out after his monster year....

5. 2009

The only thing good about the past 3 postseason failures is players like Judge and Sanchez cannot say pay me or trade me!

They have both failed in Oct!!!

5. 2009

Somewhere within the transmutation of Yin and Yang
    Quote Originally Posted by rrzubnyy View Post
    The only thing good about the past 3 postseason failures is players like Judge and Sanchez cannot say pay me or trade me!

They have both failed in Oct!!!
    Sanchez was god awful.

The only person worse than him was Boone.

**** off. Where's my title

Somewhere within the transmutation of Yin and Yang
    Quote Originally Posted by DasBoot View Post
    We lost. They got the hits when it mattered and our starters couldnít go as long leaving our guys to get gassed.

But yeah, letís blame Giancarlo for being injured.

Aim your frustrations at the Steinbrennerís not at G who - if you listen or read - works his butt off to be on that field.
    You are correct.

But no one blamed him for losing. They blamed him for taking up space and for underperforming.
    I'm sure he works to stay on the field. That's what every one of these guys should do. Remember, Sanchez works his but off to get better.

I recognize his skill as a power hitter. I was harsh in my assessment of him in the playoffs.
    My issue is, if Stanton was that questionable to play, he should have been more honest or Boone should have removed him from the roster instead of saving a bullet he never go to use. We will never know what a bunt or SB might have meant during the series.

Going forward, Stanton is an unnecessary part of the equation. We are far better served with a guy who can put the ball in play, hit gap to gap go 1rst to 3rd and steal some bases. This team won over 100 games without him having an impact.
    I would trade him in a heartbeat.

We can agree to disagree.

**** off. Where's my title

Mike is a vag. Period. Was he the reason we lost?

Well, we were 5-0 with him and 0-4 without him in the playoffs.

Pretty simple to digest.

I understand the thought to improve the roster, but in fairness, there are only 2-3 positions where the Yankees can truly upgrade.

Torres, DJ, Judge, Gio/Andujar, Sanchez, Stanton, Hicks represent the top of what you can expect to field on one team. The only positional players that are both 1) an upgrade and 2) available are Rendon and J.D. Martinez. Both provide an OBP upgrade and approach at the plate that would benefit a lineup with Stanton and Sanchez in it.

From a pitching standpoint; Sevy, Paxton, Tanaka, and Garcia/Monty/German represent a top 5 rotation, minus an elite #1. The question is, how many elite #1ís are there?

I think that the criticism of Cashman is myopic. If you look at the construction of the roster, the trades for Didi, Hicks, Stanton, Torres, Green, and Cessa are steals. Now wins, but absolute steals.
    I donít blame Cashman for failing to trade for Verlander and Cole. Verlander flourished in Houston, but there was no guarantee that he was going to improve in his 30ís. His ERA reduced by 33% upon arriving Houston. At the time of his trade, there is no doubt he was a stud, but he was not the same pitcher in Detroit that he is in Houston. As for Cole, his ERA in his final year in Pittsburgh was 4.26. Prior to going to Houston, he had thrown over 200 innings twice; 208 in 2015 and 203 in 2017. In 2016 he threw 116 innings. He had also struck out over 200 batters once, and that was 2 years before being traded. All this is to say that Cashman didnít decline to trade for the pitchers we saw in the ALCS. They both had far more question marks at the time they were available. I think itís important to remember, Verlander could have easily gone the route of Chris Sale. The Red Sox owe Sale over 160 million going forward.

Of the pitchers available this year at the dead-line, who would have helped? MadBum is the only proven performer available and would have cost a ton for a pitcher who is well past his prime. Corbin has been mediocre at best in the playoffs against far worse lineups than the Astros, and given the rainout, Stroman would have likely slotted in game 6 of the ALCS with no guarantee that he would get through 6 with less than 4 runs.

The reality is, in the last 3 years it could be argued the Yankees had the second-best roster in baseball. To overcome the #1 teams in each year, they were required to be successful in limited, contextual situations, and particularly this year, they werenít. That is not something analytics or any baseball acumen can predict. Itís one hit in a given moment. IF anything, the Astros success proves that the roster construction of home runs win playoff series. Looking back, the damage they did was based on timely home runs with runners on, coupled with a generally poor average with runners in scoring position.

Heres my take on the off season with the info were have now. I would be very surprised if the trade/ move on from the core of the position players we have now. They are all still in their primes and for next season cheap. They will say the injuries ect cost this team and give them one more shot before they get really expensive.

I have no idea what they will do when it comes to Betancces, Didi and Gardy. You could make a case either way to keep them all or let them go. I expect those decisions will be based on what kinda contracts each player wants. If they are willing to come back at the Yanks price i could see them all back, if they want more they'll let them walk. The only one IMO they should try really hard to keep is Betances, he's been a top 3 reliever since he was in the league

As for what happened in the playoffs some of our guys hit others didn't, its happens. U can't just point to Stanton or Sanchez alone and say they were the reason we lost. Other than Gleyber and DJ no one was very good. Even great players struggle when it comes to the playoffs, Bonds was bad till he wasn't one yr, same thing with Arod.

No matter how you look at it its going to be very hard to drastically improve this team position player wise, this is a 100 plus win team 2 yrs in a row and our 3rd yr that we had a chance to get to the WS. The biggest question should be what can we do to make us a better PLAYOFF team next yr. This is a 100 win team again next yr as we stand right now. They could get Trout and it probably only make a 2-3 win difference

If you look at the teams that are in the WS they are the teams with the 2 best rotations in baseball. In the last 3yrs every team that has beaten us and won has had better pitching, While we have some nice rotation pieces were have a giant gaping hole at the top of the rotation and have for 3yrs

I see 3 areas we need to of extreme need they need to fix this off season for us to be a better playoff team

1} health. the training staff was awful period. The majority of our injuries were soft tissue and it took our players way way to long to come back from those. They miss diagnosed injuries that caused huge set backs. There were alot of key players that were no where near 100% for most of the yr and especially heading into the playoffs. They absolutely have to fix that for next yr and that on Hal and Cashman

2) Coaching Boone was awful in the playoffs and i could make a case he wasn't great in the regular season. His pitching decisions and situational decisions were absolutely awful, unexceptionable. IMO this is what you get when you hire a manager with zero coaching experience and just because he could supposedly communicate better with the younger player and was comfortable heavily using analytics.

Unfortunately they aren't going to move on from him so what they need to do is bring in some experienced coaches to surround him other than Roothschild. Again this is going to be on Cashman and Hal

3) Pitching. This is the most important one for me. While we have some nice pieces we absolutely don't have an ace and none of the guys we currently have have done anything to show they can be that elite ace starter all yr and the playoffs next yr.

The best pitcher in baseball whos only 29 is going to be available as a FA. We've heard a ton of bs excuses for 3 plus yrs now why they didn't get the pitching they needed, that needs to stop this winter. Hal has to step up and allow them to spend the money to get Cole period. It will run them into a tax bracket for 1yr they don't want to but there isn't another pitcher even close to as good as Cole for the next 3yrs. Strasberg would be an improvement as well but no where near the level Cole would be

We have a ton of money close to 100m coming off the books after next yr with 3 of our starters becoming FA in Tank, Pax and Happ. Adding Cole would secure this rotation not only next yr but for yr to come. It just needs to be done no excuses. He may be more interested in playing somewhere else like CC was in 09 but you make a big enough offer we can get him. Aces especially ones in their 20's are damn hard to get and its not like we have the time or track record to develop one thats going to make a huge difference next yr

I'd also love to see them put together a package to land a guy like Castillio as well but thats secondary IMO

Again this is going to be on Hal and Cash. Because of Hal and Cash's mistakes this is the first decade since 1910 we didn't make a WS, thats unacceptable IMO. Cashman needs to be put on notice that if he doesn't get it done this yr we need to find someone who can get the job done. Hal has an equal share of blame in this IMO but its not exactly like u can get rid of an owner

This team has a smaller window to win before they have to start paying some of these guys big money. I don't want to hear an excuses this yr why it isn't time to add the superstar last pieces that we really need, the time to get that piece is right now plane and simple

step up and get it done or the need to quit with the idea that were the big bad Yanks and the season is a failure if we don't win a WS. If profit have become more important than winning quit making BS excuses to the fan base

Having Mike locked in for 8 more years and having to pay Judge soon is a huge albatross to a free for all spending spree.

And, while obviously great, taking the best player from the team you canít beat is weak. Really weak.

In my opinion, it would diminish beating them.

Quote Originally Posted by LeoYankee View Post
    Having Mike locked in for 8 more years and having to pay Judge soon is a huge albatross to a free for all spending spree.

And, while obviously great, taking the best player from the team you canít beat is weak. Really weak.

Huh? What exactly are you saying? Yanks should NOT pursue arguably the best arm available because in your opinion it's weak? What exactly does that mean?
    ďFarts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.Ē ó Aldous Huxley
    "Not everything that counts can be counted and not everything that can be counted counts."--- Albert Einstein
    ďNot everything that is faced can be changed, but nothing can be changed until it is faced.Ē---- James Baldwin

Quote Originally Posted by rrzubnyy View Post
    Gassed?

Who?
    Were you watching the same series as everyone else? Tommy and Chad had, like, nothing left. Tommy was just rearing back and throwing it as hard as he could and didnít care where it ended up. And Britís movement on his sinker was notably diminished. Greenyís movement and velo was down. They were relied on way too much because Otto lost it until the last game and the rest of the pen wasnít and shouldnít have been trusted.
    Last edited by DasBoot; 10-21-2019 at 10:07 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kinkotheclown View Post
    You are correct.

But no one blamed him for losing. They blamed him for taking up space and for underperforming.
    I'm sure he works to stay on the field. That's what every one of these guys should do. Remember, Sanchez works his but off to get better.

I recognize his skill as a power hitter. I was harsh in my assessment of him in the playoffs.
    My issue is, if Stanton was that questionable to play, he should have been more honest or Boone should have removed him from the roster instead of saving a bullet he never go to use. We will never know what a bunt or SB might have meant during the series.

Going forward, Stanton is an unnecessary part of the equation. We are far better served with a guy who can put the ball in play, hit gap to gap go 1rst to 3rd and steal some bases. This team won over 100 games without him having an impact.
    I would trade him in a heartbeat.

We can agree to disagree.
    I donít disagree that G is redundant. Like, at all.

Some initial thoughts and reactions:

-time to fire up the Choo Choo and book your advanced VIP seating experience

-Those that need to be gone:

Cashman
    Boone
    Didi
    Gardner
    Ottavino
    Happ

-those who I'd like gone but are unable to:

Mike
    Gary

-If there ever was a greater conflux of events that would allow for one man to FINALLY achieve the respect so due him for his skill set, that time would be now, and that person would be William Nathaniel Buck Showalter III.

Boone, while certainly a nice guy, has proven, beyond a shadow of a doubt, that he is a little boy playing in a game of hardened old salts. He has been outthunk, outanalyzed, outperformed, outmaneuvered, and outmanaged at every conceivable turn in October baseball.

It is beyond time.

Two years or not, it would be outright comical, if it weren't for the fact that this is our beloved New York Yankees that we are talking about here, at just exactly how bad Boone has been at his job. Boone may be a great clubhouse guy, and that certainly is a commendable, if not overtly necessary skill trait to possess for success, but this team has obviously gotten WAY too comfortable and complacent rolling around in their own effluent offensively. Boone, quite simply, does not possess the baseball mind necessary to engender success at the highest levels.

He makes a great front office puppet, but that's not what wins championships.

We need a sharp, experienced baseball thinker who can adapt on the fly to contextual game situations and who isn't afraid to burn the binder and rely on what the eyes can clearly see in real-time action.

That ain't Boone.

That is Buck.

-Didi: sorry man. Loved you as a player, as a catalyst, and as a clubhouse guy during your time here, but that time is now done. You are a man without a position looking to cash in on service time compensation that we cannot afford to allocate away from the singular laser focus of the rotation. Your 2019 postseason performance should serve as a lesson to all those who engender mediocrity when performance is needed most. Time to move on.

-Gardner. Thanks for your service. I was almost in favor of giving you a pay bump based on the outlier augmented statistics your resume achieved in the 2019 regular season, but your continued offensive ineptitude in the cauldron of October play, coupled with your age, coupled with the fact that you have basically been highly overhyped and overpaid every year prior to 2019, coupled with a crowded and cost-controlled outfield in 2020, lets me comfortably wish you adieu.

-Ottavino: Your new name is Farnsworth. Kyle Farnsworth, because that is EXACTLY what you remind me of when your stink enters a game having but one limited role and utterly failing at even that. You had no respect for game context and the herculean work being put in by the full time guys and instead became a cowardly incompetent in a role that basically required you to do your job for a grand total of about seven minutes every other day. But no, even that was too difficult for your feebled mind to comprehend so instead you chose to mentally implode to the psychology of the situation at hand, repeatedly, and singlehandedly cost us a must win in Game 2 and possibly the whole *&^% thing.

You know what.....the more I digest your utter grade school incompetent play, it dawns on me that you are not to be known as Kyle Farnsworth.....that is too good for you. From now on you shall be known by the name Farnsworthless.

Bye! Get Out!! Don't come back 'round here no more, no more!!!

-Crapp: do I really need to go here? The only thing is that I don't think that there is a sucker GM utterly dumb enough to assume a 2/34 AAV on a 37 year old never-was.

Well.....let Sauron correct himself there.....there was one.

Lineup next year

C-Gary
    1B-Andujar/EE/Voit
    2B-DJ
    SS-Gleyber
    3B-Gio
    RF-All Rise
    CF-Hicks
    LF-Tauchman/Maybin/Clint
    DH-Mike/EE

Joel Sherman posited yesterday that Andujar may be making the transition to 1B. To me, that is an absolute necessity to keep that bat in the lineup.

I keep EE simply because he is such a valuable offensive weapon. Unlike the previous Cashman attempts to buy cheap like Vernon Wells, Travis Hafner, Ritchie Sexson, Dustin Ackley, Logan Morrison, and Stephen Drew, Edwin actually produces at a high level and is one of the few offensive assets that has actually worked out for Cashman when on the dumpster hunt.

I tend to think of it like when we had both Daryl Strawberry and Chili Davis in '97-98 waiting on the platoon with no real set position but man, Torre got those guys in and they wrecked %&#* when he did. To me, Edwin and Mike are this generation's version of 'those guys.' Mike obviously has to play a greater role because of the salary but offense obviously isn't where our problems lay.

-sign Cole. Overpay: I don't care.

The Cashman datalytics philosophy of buying reclamation projects on-the-cheap has been a dismal, abject failure and now the world at large is starting to come around to this thinking.

Both the AP and Sherman have called out the front office for their piecemeal approach to the rotation. It's going to get harder and harder for Cashman and his little band of merry data miners to spin the narrative with a complacent, favorable media that their approach will pay off eventually (2029?).

In conclusion, I want everyone here to really digest this little factoid:

Going into the 2019 season Brian Cashman, once again, forswore verifiable work histories and free agent market pricing in favor of the following:

Troy Tulowitzki
    JA Happ
    Adam Ottavino
    James Paxton
    DJ LeMahieu

Think about that for the long cold slog of this offseason while Patrick Corbin, Justin Verlander, Gerrit Cole, and yes, Maxwell M. Scherzer play in meaningful, championship baseball.
    Last edited by sauronthepower; 10-21-2019 at 11:32 AM.
    Ladies and Gentlemen, I present to you

your 2019 New York Yankees Manager, Bench Coach, Pitching Coach, and Bullpen Manager.

Quote Originally Posted by LeoYankee View Post

That is why I wanted Chap to get through the 9th and I felt we would have won if he did to setup Game 7 vs Cole.....

Almost........
    Last edited by rrzubnyy; 10-21-2019 at 10:55 AM.

5. 2009

Page 5 of 159 FirstFirst ... 345671555105 ... LastLast