Like us on Facebook


Follow us on Twitter





Page 347 of 358 FirstFirst ... 247297337345346347348349357 ... LastLast
Results 5,191 to 5,205 of 5366
  1. #5191
    Join Date
    Jan 2020
    Posts
    1,025
    Quote Originally Posted by sauronthepower View Post
    Jays have a young, exciting core coming up in Bo Bichette, Vlad Jr. and Cavan Biggio.
    That’s one reason why I feel the jays could win more games than the Red Sox . That and as long as ryu stays healthy he will likely add a couple wins too

  2. #5192
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    10,898
    Quote Originally Posted by sauronthepower View Post
    Jays have a young, exciting core coming up in Bo Bichette, Vlad Jr. and Cavan Biggio.
    They also appear to have decent starting pitching with some depth.
    “Farts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.” — Aldous Huxley
    "Not everything that counts can be counted and not everything that can be counted counts."--- Albert Einstein
    “Not everything that is faced can be changed, but nothing can be changed until it is faced.”---- James Baldwin



  3. #5193
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    7,333
    The projections are typically on the moderate side. There are seldom any teams predicted to win more than 100 games or less than 60 games, but we all know that those two outcomes have been consistent for the past few years.

  4. #5194
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    2,421
    Quote Originally Posted by drt1010 View Post
    They also appear to have decent starting pitching with some depth.
    jays pitching was atrocious last year...

  5. #5195
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    2,421
    Quote Originally Posted by goingfor28 View Post
    Seems like low win projections for us and Tampa.
    I think we at least match last year's 103 wins, maybe pushed to 105. We got better while Houston and Boston got worse.
    Tampa won 96 last year. Would expect them to be low to mid 90s again.
    I could see Boston pushing 90 wins too. Don't think they're as bad as their record was last year. They'll hit but their pitching staff is suspect so we'll see.
    it depends where the yanks are in the standings.. if the astros fall back yanks might coast the last few weeks and lose games they would not have if they had to battle for best record...

  6. #5196
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    10,898
    Quote Originally Posted by johnny ny View Post
    jays pitching was atrocious last year...
    My bad I thought we were still talking about the Rays.
    “Farts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.” — Aldous Huxley
    "Not everything that counts can be counted and not everything that can be counted counts."--- Albert Einstein
    “Not everything that is faced can be changed, but nothing can be changed until it is faced.”---- James Baldwin



  7. #5197
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    10,898
    Keidel: Possible Questions Surrounding The 2020 Yankees
    From Uncertainty At Third Base To Giancarlo Stanton's Production

    JASON KEIDEL
    FEBRUARY 11, 2020 - 2:17 PM
    WFAN Blogs

    "You've heard the saying, "What do you give the man or woman who has everything?"

    Similarly, how do you knock the baseball club that has everything? The Yankees are loaded and hungry. Vegas puts their win total at 101 games - the most in MLB. They won 103 games last year with a laughable litany of injured players, and now have Gerrit Cole. Still, no club is perfect, so let's look at some possible questions for the Bronx Bombers entering the 2020 season."

    https://wfan.radio.com/blogs/jason-k...e-2020-yankees
    “Farts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.” — Aldous Huxley
    "Not everything that counts can be counted and not everything that can be counted counts."--- Albert Einstein
    “Not everything that is faced can be changed, but nothing can be changed until it is faced.”---- James Baldwin



  8. #5198
    Join Date
    Dec 2019
    Posts
    63
    More info on The Trashtros:

    https://theathletic.com/1600638/2020...shared-article

    'During the season, small groups of Astros discussed their misgivings. McCann at one point approached Beltrán and asked him to stop, two members of the 2017 team said.
    “He disregarded it and steamrolled everybody,” one of the team members said. “Where do you go if you’re a young, impressionable player with the Astros and this guy says, ‘We’re doing this’? What do you do?”'

    McCann allegedly tried to stop it. Who knows if that's true, but it's believable. Makes me feel a bit better about the Yankees from the previous year.


    Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

  9. #5199
    Join Date
    Jan 2020
    Posts
    1,025
    Quote Originally Posted by johnny ny View Post
    jays pitching was atrocious last year...
    They picked up ryu . Assuming he stays healthy that’s a few more wins for the jays

  10. #5200
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    7,333
    Quote Originally Posted by ninja1k View Post
    More info on The Trashtros:

    https://theathletic.com/1600638/2020...shared-article

    'During the season, small groups of Astros discussed their misgivings. McCann at one point approached Beltrán and asked him to stop, two members of the 2017 team said.
    “He disregarded it and steamrolled everybody,” one of the team members said. “Where do you go if you’re a young, impressionable player with the Astros and this guy says, ‘We’re doing this’? What do you do?”'

    McCann allegedly tried to stop it. Who knows if that's true, but it's believable. Makes me feel a bit better about the Yankees from the previous year.


    Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
    Then, he decided not to re-sign with them at the end of the year. He didn't even entertain a return and said that he wanted to play for Atlanta or not at all. Perhaps, he had some integrity, but not enough to report his teammates.

  11. #5201
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    10,898
    Quote Originally Posted by johnnyi View Post
    Then, he decided not to re-sign with them at the end of the year. He didn't even entertain a return and said that he wanted to play for Atlanta or not at all. Perhaps, he had some integrity, but not enough to report his teammates.
    Tough call. Clearly he tried to stop it and intervened. Reporting teammates?
    “Farts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.” — Aldous Huxley
    "Not everything that counts can be counted and not everything that can be counted counts."--- Albert Einstein
    “Not everything that is faced can be changed, but nothing can be changed until it is faced.”---- James Baldwin



  12. #5202
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    A Firehouse
    Posts
    34,158
    Oh.

    Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk
    He is talking about the one and only, pure trash: Ereck Flowers

    Quote Originally Posted by cowboyskilla View Post
    His stern face can give that impression but I don't feel that's the case. New York isn't an easy place to play at, so honestly I can see his confidence at an all-time low for him.

    I don't think he's a bust. I think he just needs the right motivation to pick himself up & play harder.

  13. #5203
    Join Date
    Jan 2020
    Posts
    1,025
    Seems it’s a good thing Beltran worked for the yanks for only 1 season

  14. #5204
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    7,333
    Quote Originally Posted by drt1010 View Post
    Tough call. Clearly he tried to stop it and intervened. Reporting teammates?
    Well, integrity is an interesting thing. Some people cheat on their taxes and even brag about it to close friends and family, yet few will snitch on them to the IRS or even send an anonymous letter. (For the record, I wouldn't either, even though I believe that I have a very high level of integrity myself. Live and let live. What goes around comes around). However, if my next door neighbor was beating his wife, I would call the police immediately. Some attorneys are officers of the court and have to deal with integrity issues every day, if they learn about misdeeds.

    I would venture to guess that it would depend on your own interpretation of the deeds and whether you feel that you can live with knowing that they happened. If someone committed murder, you would surely report it? It is a high crime. If it were your brother, you might have a tougher time, but you might still report it or you might not, but it would surely haunt you.

    (This is not intended to be political, but might be taken as such in today's climate) Some whistleblowers are heroes and some are disgruntled employees with an ax to grind. Is Mike Fiers a Hero? Depends on your perspective. Some would say that he has more integrity than McCann. Some will say that had equal integrity, while they played for the Astros. It's also possible that both had the same level of integrity, but that both were looking at their immediate future. McCann had nothing to personally gain by shining a light on his last year with the Astros and reporting things might lead him to never getting another job in baseball again, either as a coach or a broadcaster, if he was viewed as someone who went outside the family. Fiers, on the other hand, is looking at the years he has in front of him and is contracted to a team that is competing with the team that has been cheating for a division crown. Is it more integrity for the reporter or does he just have more self interest?

  15. #5205
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Somewhere within the transmutation of Yin and Yang
    Posts
    32,962
    Quote Originally Posted by johnnyi View Post
    Well, integrity is an interesting thing. Some people cheat on their taxes and even brag about it to close friends and family, yet few will snitch on them to the IRS or even send an anonymous letter. (For the record, I wouldn't either, even though I believe that I have a very high level of integrity myself. Live and let live. What goes around comes around). However, if my next door neighbor was beating his wife, I would call the police immediately. Some attorneys are officers of the court and have to deal with integrity issues every day, if they learn about misdeeds.

    I would venture to guess that it would depend on your own interpretation of the deeds and whether you feel that you can live with knowing that they happened. If someone committed murder, you would surely report it? It is a high crime. If it were your brother, you might have a tougher time, but you might still report it or you might not, but it would surely haunt you.

    (This is not intended to be political, but might be taken as such in today's climate) Some whistleblowers are heroes and some are disgruntled employees with an ax to grind. Is Mike Fiers a Hero? Depends on your perspective. Some would say that he has more integrity than McCann. Some will say that had equal integrity, while they played for the Astros. It's also possible that both had the same level of integrity, but that both were looking at their immediate future. McCann had nothing to personally gain by shining a light on his last year with the Astros and reporting things might lead him to never getting another job in baseball again, either as a coach or a broadcaster, if he was viewed as someone who went outside the family. Fiers, on the other hand, is looking at the years he has in front of him and is contracted to a team that is competing with the team that has been cheating for a division crown. Is it more integrity for the reporter or does he just have more self interest?
    The question regarding Friers is, is he a hero or did he just do the right thing? I don't know that I call him a hero.
    Brave? Yes. But he had a part in it and didn't say anything till 2 years later. To me, a heroic action would have been doing it during the season and walking away from the team.

    I do think in this light, McCann showed integrity. He got out. He didn't feel it right to turn them in but wanted no part of it.
    I don't think you have to turn them in to have integrity.
    Was it courageous of him? No.
    Did his actions make it clear he didn't think what they were doing was right? Yes.



    The world is coming to an end and I don't even care. As long as I can have my limo and my orange hair"

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •