Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 303 of 357 FirstFirst ... 203253293301302303304305313353 ... LastLast
Results 4,531 to 4,545 of 5341
    Quote Originally Posted by dayners81 View Post
    \ IMO there is a part of this that alot of people probably aren't considering. With the new CBA coming up the last thing the owners want is a strike. The owners are making record profits, i'm sure they don't want to put that at risk. If Manfred comes down on the players very harshly, especially after he stupidly gave them immunity for " truthful testimony", it could take a already contentious situation and make it far worse. A work stoppage is the worst thing that could happen for all parties involved including us fans. I would imagine, since Manfred works for the owners, he's got a number of them in his ear reminding him of all this. I would guess that if this is just the tip of the iceberg like many are saying the owners want this swept under the rug because if even more teams are involved it could get extremely, extremely ugly.

With the extreme outcry that going on on the interwebs, the only way fans, reporters, the other teams players and those credible critical voices are going to see any worse punishment is if the government gets involved. Just like with the PEDS i'm sure there is a ton of info that would come out and give the sport an even worse black eye so to speak.

This is all just an opinion on my part but i think the possibility of making a strike more probably is a large factor into why the penalties against the players were no existent and why they choose to go after the owners, GM's and managers who from all accounts, except for Cora and Beltran were minimal. I do expect that the punishment for Cora will by far be the worst because he helped create the culture in Houston the immediately brought it to the Soxs. The fact that those 2 teams won titles back to back makes it look even worse for Cora, I hope he gets a lifetime ban

IMO if the government gets involved its going to make a strike far more likely
    Interesting choice of words in "truthful testimony." I would venture to guess no one admitted to the electronic devices. Thus if the electronic buzzing devices really were used, the testimony wasn't truthful and the players could be punished for that. I don't foresee this happening though. I'm sure this will all just blow over and the Astros will just be a hated team with hated players.

Quote Originally Posted by goingfor28 View Post
    Probably bc he's 35 and hadn't been very good in a couple years.
    But why did he wait until after the Braves were eliminated to announce he was retiring? I just find the timing of his retirement and the investigation to be odd

Quote Originally Posted by Posada20 View Post
    But why did he wait until after the Braves were eliminated to announce he was retiring? I just find the timing of his retirement and the investigation to be odd
    Maybe he just didn't want him retiring to be an October distraction

Quote Originally Posted by drt1010 View Post
    Rays traded top pitching prospect Matthew Liberatore to St. Louis for two right-handed bats. One of those bats will have an immediate impact on the Rays’ lineup, Jose Martinez. Martinez is a depth option for the Rays in the corner outfield, but likely will see majority of AB's at the DH. The right-handed hitting Martinez will join three left-handed hitters (Nate Lowe, Ji-Man Choi, and the newly-signed Yoshitomo Tsutsugo) in the first base/DH mix, though Tampa expects Tsutsugo to see some action at third base.

They have a competitive rotation fronted by Charlie Morton, Blake Snell, Tyler Glasnow, Yonny Chirinos and Ryan Yarbrough.
    Forgot about their trade w St Louis. I'm not denying they'll be good, wasn't what I meant at all. I fully expect them to be in the playoff picture all year and get a wild card spot like they did last year. I just don't see how they've really improved from last season. Seems more like they're about the same talent wise.
    Though if they get a full season out of Glasnow that'll be a huge addition.

Quote Originally Posted by goingfor28 View Post
    Forgot about their trade w St Louis. I'm not denying they'll be good, wasn't what I meant at all. I fully expect them to be in the playoff picture all year and get a wild card spot like they did last year. I just don't see how they've really improved from last season. Seems more like they're about the same talent wise.
    Though if they get a full season out of Glasnow that'll be a huge addition.
    I don't disagree. Cards trade will have an impact but not really anything substantial. I think a year more experience and a good rotation will carry them. They aren't beating the Yanks. But they may surprise a few teams along the way.
    “Farts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.” — Aldous Huxley
    "Not everything that counts can be counted and not everything that can be counted counts."--- Albert Einstein
    “Not everything that is faced can be changed, but nothing can be changed until it is faced.”---- James Baldwin

Quote Originally Posted by Phoba Rama View Post
    Interesting choice of words in "truthful testimony." I would venture to guess no one admitted to the electronic devices. Thus if the electronic buzzing devices really were used, the testimony wasn't truthful and the players could be punished for that. I don't foresee this happening though. I'm sure this will all just blow over and the Astros will just be a hated team with hated players.
    That was exactly my point. In the legal world, with cooperating witnesses, if they are caught lying it's much worse. Not only will they lose immunity, but they will be charge for all of their crimes, plus obstruction, lying, etc. I'd imagine mlb is the same.

Unfortunately, will be difficult to prove they wore buzzers unless those pictures surface... Which I'm praying happens. Especially after altuve denying, and personally I hate Bregman, seems like such an arrogant douche.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Can only hope proof of the buzzers and all comes out

The Rays also have Brendon Mccay who is the top 2 way spec in baseball, Shane Baez, Honeywell and a C spec that all could contribute heavily this yr. The kid they got from San Diego was a very high ranked prospect a couple yrs ago and has the talent to be a big time contributor.
    Also they have the specs to go out and make anykind of deal they caan afford
    Their top 3 in their rotation is as talented as just about anyones in baseball.
    I don't think their going to be a serious threat to challenge us for the division but i do believe they are a better team when healthy than they were last yr, which was a team that came very very close to beating Houston

From what i understand the Astros players were only given immunity for the 17-18 seasons. If they are found to have had electronic devices on them during the 19 season it could and should open them up for further punishment. Again im not certain about if they were given immunity for their " truthful testimony" that included the 19 season but im pretty sure i read it was for the 17-18 seasons

Rays also lost D'arnaud. I think they lost someone else besides Pham too, but they have a couple of pitchers returning to full health.

Quote Originally Posted by dayners81 View Post
    From what i understand the Astros players were only given immunity for the 17-18 seasons. If they are found to have had electronic devices on them during the 19 season it could and should open them up for further punishment. Again im not certain about if they were given immunity for their " truthful testimony" that included the 19 season but im pretty sure i read it was for the 17-18 seasons
    Immunity for what? What a joke!

Baseball is the softest with regards to punishment, a complete joke!

How can you take the game serious anymore?

Cora, AJ, Beltran and a GM all gone?

What kind of s a deterrent is that?

MLB basically gives them a license to cheat.

Players are not worried. Ooooh, we get caught and our boss goes down. What a sweet deal....
    My Top 3 Rush Guitar solos

1. La Villa Strangiato
    2. Limelight
    3. Between the Wheels

In my opinion, like I stated last week....

This is like when McGuire has Andro in his locker. It’s just the first shoe to drop in something bigger.

My agency buddy said it’s well known that this goes way deeper w way more teams but MLB can not afford a PR disaster league wide.

It’ll be interesting to see where it stops or ends up.

I tend to agree, if it wasn't so isolated why aren't more teams complaining? Especially pitchers.

Because only the Red Sox and Astros won a ws as a result of stealing signs . Atleast as of now anyway

Just read an interesting article about Marcell Ozuno. It was saying that he is leaning towards having to take a deal in the 1yr deal at less than 15m, would you guys have any interest in him on a short term deal like that ? He certainly would solve our OF depth issue and could certainly put up some very good numbers

They also brought up that both Russel Martin and Matt Wieters are both still available and both are looking for deals in the 1yr 1-1.5m range. Sanchez's career high being only 108 games in his career either could provide a much more experienced back up than Higgy. Maybe if one is still avvailable around ST bring them in on a minor league deal. I just don't have a ton of confidence in Kratz and the other 35 plus yr old back up catchers we signed

Addison Russel is still available and even though he's had his problems on a minor league deal he could provide depth at 2nd base/SS and provide a much higher upside than Wade/ Estrada

there are quit a few interesting players still available that are likely going to have to take MILB deals that could still offer us some interesting depth options that could definately be worth a lookhttps://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2020-...agent-tracker/