Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Food for thought....Girardi

Phillies’ Joe Girardi might still be a Yankee if the Astros hadn’t cheated, but he’s not thinking that way
    by Matt Breen, Updated: January 20, 2020

https://www.inquirer.com/phillies/ph...medium=twitter

Article suggests perhaps Girardi would still be in New York gearing up this month for season No. 13 in the Yankee pinstripes if the Astros never cheated. What say you PSD? Was Girardi a casualty of Astros cheating? Maybe Girardi wins his second world title as Yankees manager and keeps his job if the Astros did not cheat. Or maybe they lose in the World Series and Girardi gets fired anyway, as his relationship with general manager Brian Cashman had soured."
    “Farts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.” — Aldous Huxley
    "Not everything that counts can be counted and not everything that can be counted counts."--- Albert Einstein
    “Not everything that is faced can be changed, but nothing can be changed until it is faced.”---- James Baldwin

Girardi's decision was a financial one. Sugarcoat it any way you like (and this should make Sauron's head explode), but Girardi's money went to Cashman. I believe Girardi was making $4 million per year at a time when his contract was up and manager's salary's were declining. Cashman was making $1 - $2 million at a time when manager's contributions were being minimized by analytics that were being improved and overseen by the General Managers. So, the economic reality of Cashman being Girardi's boss and making less than Girardi, but being responsible for more of the decision making process was inconsistent (if not unfair). Plus, had the Yankees kept Girardi, his team would have been looking for a raise on top of that and a multi-year contract, so it probably would have looked like a 4 year $20 million dollar expenditure. Instead, Girardi was out and Boone is in for less than $1 million per year, while Cashman was bumped up to $5 million, after Girardi's dismissal. Therefore Girardi's $4 million and Cashman's $2 million (total $6 million) was replaced with Boone's $1 million an Cashman's $5 million (total $6 million). I don't think it was underhanded (the Yankees might have had some minor performance issues to address - I personally feel that playing Judge hurt for a portion of the year when his shoulder was wrapped every night, caused him to lose the MVP award), but it was crafty.

Somewhere within the transmutation of Yin and Yang
    Damn. That's a bummer of a thought. That makes him the biggest casualty of the cheating scandal.

As a trickle down, I would bet Joe would've been against the Stanton signing, so to speculate more, Stanton may not be a Yankee

**** off. Where's my title

I miss Girardi. Great manager and had a lot of fire. Boone is a wuss.

Quote Originally Posted by goingfor28 View Post
    I miss Girardi. Great manager and had a lot of fire. Boone is a wuss.
    I miss Girardis neck veins throbbing when he would argue with an ump.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk
    He is talking about the one and only, pure trash: Ereck Flowers

Quote Originally Posted by cowboyskilla View Post
    His stern face can give that impression but I don't feel that's the case. New York isn't an easy place to play at, so honestly I can see his confidence at an all-time low for him.

I don't think he's a bust. I think he just needs the right motivation to pick himself up & play harder.

Johnny I agree the decision was financially motivated. The growing animosity with Cashman and the FO certainly a factor. My question IF Yanks beat Houston and move on to WS, win or lose, is he still let go?
    "Not everything that counts can be counted and not everything that can be counted counts."--- Albert Einstein
    “Not everything that is faced can be changed, but nothing can be changed until it is faced.”---- James Baldwin

If he would have won in 2017 there is no way they would have let him go. Anything short of winning it all imo they were going to let him go.

There were rumors all yr about his inability to connect and coach the new wave of young talent we had coming. If i remember correctly he wasn't crazy about implementing advanced analytics into his coaching.

Imo short of winning the WS in 17 he was gone no matter what

Quote Originally Posted by dayners81 View Post
    If he would have won in 2017 there is no way they would have let him go. Anything short of winning it all imo they were going to let him go.

There were rumors all yr about his inability to connect and coach the new wave of young talent we had coming. If i remember correctly he wasn't crazy about implementing advanced analytics into his coaching.

Imo short of winning the WS in 17 he was gone no matter what
    I agree in part. If he wins it all no chance he's gone. I also think if they had made it to WS and lost that would also have been a very tough call. The optics would not have reflected well on FO. So those SOB's in Houston not only cost us a shot at the WS but potentially retaining a beloved coach. What else can we add to the burgeoning list of Astro atrocities?

The hand writing was on the wall. He clashed with the anal dept. and his relationship with Cashman was frosty.

Who would have thought a man with a serious binder would be against anal. Odd.

His stern face can give that impression but I don't feel that's the case. New York isn't an easy place to play at, so honestly I can see his confidence at an all-time low for him.

I don't think he's a bust. I think he just needs the right motivation to pick himself up & play harder.

Quote Originally Posted by RCSownsU View Post
    Who would have thought a man with a serious binder would be against anal. Odd.

RC He always embraced stats, he pushed back some against the use of analytics to dictate decisions. In short, he didn't enjoy them (anal) telling him who to play.

Quote Originally Posted by drt1010 View Post
    RC He always embraced stats, he pushed back some against the use of analytics to dictate decisions. In short, he didn't enjoy them (anal) telling him who to play.
    I know. I just find it odd he loved stats so much but hated anal which is just advanced stats.

I'm a huge Girardi fan, and hated that they fired him. Going back, IIRC, there was an article about this when they let him go. I believe it was Cashman that stated (may have been Hal), that even if he made the Series, they were parting ways. Only if they won would he have been retained, and not even usre that's a guarantee either.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by drt1010 View Post
    Johnny I agree the decision was financially motivated. The growing animosity with Cashman and the FO certainly a factor. My question IF Yanks beat Houston and move on to WS, win or lose, is he still let go?
    If they win the World Series, I believe they make him an offer that he "can" refuse. In other words, he's making $4 million and he would be looking for $5 million. If they are willing to pay Boone less than $1 million, I don't think they pay Girardi $5 million, maybe $3 million tops or they don't offer him the years he wants and they don't negotiate and give him a deadline to accept. Then, it would be up to Girardi to accept a paycut after winning the WS.

Quote Originally Posted by ninja1k View Post
    I'm a huge Girardi fan, and hated that they fired him. Going back, IIRC, there was an article about this when they let him go. I believe it was Cashman that stated (may have been Hal), that even if he made the Series, they were parting ways. Only if they won would he have been retained, and not even usre that's a guarantee either.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
    Yes, I was a big Girardi fan as well and it was Hal that said it.

Quote Originally Posted by RCSownsU View Post
    I know. I just find it odd he loved stats so much but hated anal which is just advanced stats.

RC I don't believe he hated analytics. He hated being told who to play and how to manage from the anal dept. He embraced stats very early on in his career. The interest in stats goes back to his days at Northwestern U.

He has a blue collar work ethic and was a grinder as a player. He developed good instincts over the years. Occasionally he went with what his instincts suggested rather than what the anal dept felt was the appropriate percentage / probability call.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast