Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Why do you love the Yankees?

I love the history. I love the dedication of the fans. I love all the great teams. I love how players over the years felt they had, 'made it' when they became a Yankee. I love how the team is above the individual which is why they are the only team in all major sports not to have player's names on home and away jerseys.

I got to go to many Yankee games and was always thrilled to see, 'The Mick' on the field. It never got old. I love 'homer' Phil Rizzuto. I met him a few times. He was on the air with Bill White during the last game of a 4 game sweep of the Red Sox and he said on air, 'This has been the greatest weekend of my life'! White not missing the opening said, 'Scooter what about when you got married'? There was a long pause and laughing Phil said, 'Cora (his wife) is gonna kill me for this but this weekend is'!!

R.I.P. Scooter, the most dedicated Yankee that ever lived.
    'Real' Yankee fans tell the truth about the team whether it is nice or not.

"Well, that kind of puts a damper on even a Yankee win."
    -- Yankees announcer Phil Rizzuto after reading a bulletin that Pope Paul VI had died

The history always got me too

Because "Everyone Knows they play to Win."

I started to love the Yankees back when I first started in Little League in the later 1970's... I idolized my catching mentor... Thurmon Munson... then less than a year later... His plane crashed..

but I still followed the Yanks..I don't remember their WS championships in the 70's.. That was prior to me really started to understand the game and following the team.. then 1981 rolled around and the strike... and later the yanks in the WS... like many I thought it would happen more often... Sadly, the next time it happened was 1996.

As I got older, Donnie baseball became the player that I followed as my mentor.. Though I was a pretty good catcher, there were others who were also pretty good so I got moved to 1st base... and Who better to emulate there than Donnie Baseball.. My LH stance was patterned after his (and believe me, I figured out really quickly why he used it...)... unlike him, I was a SH and my RH stance was much different... but rarely did anything get past me at first.. If I could reach it.. I either caught it or kept it in front of me.. ( and when you are in your teens... that's important as many of those fields didn't have fences behind the first basemen.. you miss and the runners advance...)

Being a fan in the 80's had some ups.. Winfield, Mattingly, Henderson.. there were some very good players.. but also many very bad seasons because of the disfunction that George brought to the team.. not to mention the numerous over the hill players that george brought in to fill the holes...

My saddest memory was when celebrating the 96 championship.. the first since I started following them.. knowing that Donnie Baseball retired 1 season too soon...

Quote Originally Posted by evilemplover View Post
    I started to love the Yankees back when I first started in Little League in the later 1970's... I idolized my catching mentor... Thurmon Munson... then less than a year later... His plane crashed..

but I still followed the Yanks..I don't remember their WS championships in the 70's.. That was prior to me really started to understand the game and following the team.. then 1981 rolled around and the strike... and later the yanks in the WS... like many I thought it would happen more often... Sadly, the next time it happened was 1996.

As I got older, Donnie baseball became the player that I followed as my mentor.. Though I was a pretty good catcher, there were others who were also pretty good so I got moved to 1st base... and Who better to emulate there than Donnie Baseball.. My LH stance was patterned after his (and believe me, I figured out really quickly why he used it...)... unlike him, I was a SH and my RH stance was much different... but rarely did anything get past me at first.. If I could reach it.. I either caught it or kept it in front of me.. ( and when you are in your teens... that's important as many of those fields didn't have fences behind the first basemen.. you miss and the runners advance...)

Being a fan in the 80's had some ups.. Winfield, Mattingly, Henderson.. there were some very good players.. but also many very bad seasons because of the disfunction that George brought to the team.. not to mention the numerous over the hill players that george brought in to fill the holes...

My saddest memory was when celebrating the 96 championship.. the first since I started following them.. knowing that Donnie Baseball retired 1 season too soon...
    Donnie was incredible. It really is a shame he missed out on 1996 win. I know someone who used to live in Evansville, Indiana Donnie's hometown. He met him often. He said Mattingly was the most down to earth regular guy he ever met. Never acted famous or better than. Just a home boy. He would tool around town in his pick up truck in the off season and chat with anyone and everyone. We were lucky to see him play. They don't make many like him.
    'Real' Yankee fans tell the truth about the team whether it is nice or not.

"Well, that kind of puts a damper on even a Yankee win."
    -- Yankees announcer Phil Rizzuto after reading a bulletin that Pope Paul VI had died