Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

It's too early to start trade season

https://sports.yahoo.com/domantas-sa...210049329.html
    The Indiana Pacers have started to explore the trade market for Domantas Sabonis. There are logical reasons for this: Sabonis is good (he was second in Sixth Man of the Year voting last season), yet he and the Pacers are nowhere near agreement on a contract extension, and the Pacers already paid big money for Myles Turner to be their center, how much do they want to pay Sabonis, too?

That’s sound logic if you’re in the Pacers’ front office.

If you’re Sabonis, it can feel like a slap in the face to a guy who put in a lot of sweat and passion for the franchise.
    Domas on potentially being dealt:

"There’s not really much to talk about. I know exactly how the Pacers feel about me now, they know how I feel about that, and there’s not much more to say. Let my agents do the rest of it and we’ll see what happens.”

He has spoken to his dad.
    There is likely to be a lot of interest in Sabonis on the market. However, because he’s a center (a position teams are careful not to overspend on in today’s market) and in the last year of his rookie deal — meaning he becomes a restricted free agent next summer and gets more expensive — teams are not going to overpay for him. Right now the Pacers are asking for too much and interested teams are lowballing their offers. The sides will meet in the middle.

Sabonis is naturally a center in today's NBA, but we've already paid Myles Turner to be the starting center. He's very good offensively around the basket, probably about as good as you can be as a post player these days, and an excellent rebounder and pivot passer. He had a remarkable offensive year at 63% TS (vs. 57.3% league avg for PF/C) and PPS of 1.49 (1.29 avg). Per 36 he's a 20/13 player. For people who care about those things his PER is 21.9, WS/48 1.97, BPM 3.7 (1.5/2.2 O/D), RPM 1.55 (15th among PF, 70th overall, not sure why he's listed at PF) behind Clint Capela and ahead of LaMarcus Aldridge.

However, he is not a rim protector. He's a strong, capable post defender, but isn't especially quick laterally and doesn't block shots. In Indiana, playing him next to Myles Turner is likely going to cause significant difficulties. Offensively they're ok, as Myles prefers to shoot from outside so Sabonis can dominate the paint, but defensively they overlap a lot and Myles is just the better choice on that end. This more than anything is probably why the Pacers are hesitant to pay him.

So, what's he worth? Who needs an offensive minded center? How much would you pay him?

How often does he play with Oladipo and what are his numbers there? My concern on the offensive end is whether he would be able to assimilate his game to playing with other top performers. Some guys are better as the #1 option for a second unit than as a secondary scoring threat with the starters.

I’d really love him on Boston regardless. The obvious match would be someone like Jaylen Brown or Marcus Smart. I’d prefer to “overpay” in other assets though, some combination of:

Memphis 1st rounder
    Romeo Langford
    Robert Williams
    Carson Edwards
    Grant Williams
    Our own 1sts

I think that’d be a win for IND on value if they got 3-5 pieces from that group but it lacks win now pieces like I imagine they’d want.

NE Patriots Forum HOF (Class of 2011)

Quote Originally Posted by hugepatsfan View Post
    How often does he play with Oladipo and what are his numbers there? My concern on the offensive end is whether he would be able to assimilate his game to playing with other top performers. Some guys are better as the #1 option for a second unit than as a secondary scoring threat with the starters.

I’d really love him on Boston regardless. The obvious match would be someone like Jaylen Brown or Marcus Smart. I’d prefer to “overpay” in other assets though, some combination of:

Memphis 1st rounder
    Romeo Langford
    Robert Williams
    Carson Edwards
    Grant Williams
    Our own 1sts

I think that’d be a win for IND on value if they got 3-5 pieces from that group but it lacks win now pieces like I imagine they’d want.
    Oladipo/Sabonis was our 3rd best 2 man lineup over 200 mins played (454). +8.7 net rating.

He pretty much plays well next to everyone BUT Turner.

Sabonis I could see him fitting in on teams like my Celtics, Pelicans, Knicks, Heat or like his dad I could see him in Portland with Lillard, McCollum and those boys

Quote Originally Posted by IndyRealist View Post
    Oladipo/Sabonis was our 3rd best 2 man lineup over 200 mins played (454). +8.7 net rating.

Where do you see him on the hierarchy of a great team. I imagine he was the #2 offensive player during that time on the court with Oladipo. The second best offensive player of NBA champions:

2019 TOR - Siakem
    2018 GS - Curry
    2017 GS - Curry
    2016 CLE - Kyrie
    2015 GS - Klay
    2014 SA - Ginobli/Parker
    2013 MIA - Wade
    2012 MIA - Wade
    2011 DAL - Terry
    2010 LAL - Pau
    2009 LAL - Pau
    2008 BOS - one of Pierce/Ray/KG

So on and so forth. Terry and Siakem aren't but the rest of those guys are HOFers. So most likely Sabonis will have to be a lower option on a title team. Is his game something that would adjust well to that or is he someone who might not be able to do what he does best as he moves down the totem pole?

NE Patriots Forum HOF (Class of 2011)

Quote Originally Posted by IndyRealist View Post

Ugh. Why move him then? Why not move Turner for better wing help? I’m not sure who you could get for him but Turner seems like a great fit for Zion.

Quote Originally Posted by warfelg View Post
    Ugh. Why move him then? Why not move Turner for better wing help? I’m not sure who you could get for him but Turner seems like a great fit for Zion.
    I imagine the thinking is that Turner makes their 3rd rated defense function, and at 4yr $72M he's a relative value. Sabonis is in a contract year and they are far apart on a number, so he's probably asking for significantly more than Turner.

Quote Originally Posted by hugepatsfan View Post
    Where do you see him on the hierarchy of a great team. I imagine he was the #2 offensive player during that time on the court with Oladipo. The second best offensive player of NBA champions:

2019 TOR - Siakem
    2018 GS - Curry
    2017 GS - Curry
    2016 CLE - Kyrie
    2015 GS - Klay
    2014 SA - Ginobli/Parker
    2013 MIA - Wade
    2012 MIA - Wade
    2011 DAL - Terry
    2010 LAL - Pau
    2009 LAL - Pau
    2008 BOS - one of Pierce/Ray/KG

So on and so forth. Terry and Siakem aren't but the rest of those guys are HOFers. So most likely Sabonis will have to be a lower option on a title team. Is his game something that would adjust well to that or is he someone who might not be able to do what he does best as he moves down the totem pole?
    He could be a 2nd option if a team committed to running post plays through him. I don't know that it's fair to compare him to those guys, as he's only been in the league 3 years. Most of those guys as 2nd options have a much larger body of work to look at. 3rd option of a big 3 is more likely given the slant of the league. He functions well as a clean up man and roll man, but really excels in the post up. You want to run plays for him, and definitely not spot him up in the corner

His main issue is that he's not a rim protector, and that's what most teams want if they're running one big.
    Last edited by IndyRealist; 10-20-2019 at 12:32 PM.

Sabonis hell he would even be a good fit with the Spurs or even the Mavs if you pair him up with Doncic, Porzingis and those guys

Is he a better option than Zubac?

Quote Originally Posted by Chronz View Post
    Is he a better option than Zubac?
    Yep

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Raps08-09 Champ View Post
    My dick is named 'Ewing'.

Quote Originally Posted by ewing View Post
    Yep

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Im trying to see it. Do they need a scoring option or a rim protector? Is Sabonis an upgrade defensively is all that matters

PS Randle is another big time garbage bucket getter.

Mavs all over that.

Straight up swap orb Hardaway Jr and Sabonis could makes sense.

Sabonis, Porzingis and Doncic European connection I would love it in Dallas

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast