Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

View Poll Results: 2019 World Series Champion will be...

Voters
7. You may not vote on this poll
  • Washington Nationals

1 14.29%
  • Houston Astros

6 85.71%
Page 38 of 38 FirstFirst ... 28363738
    Quote Originally Posted by ThomasTomasz View Post
    Third worse ratings in World Series history. Yikes.
    Here's a younger person's take on the Daily Cal:

"So what can the MLB do about it? The idea of a pitch clock has been thrown around for years now but never implemented for some reason. I think that would do wonders for the game.

But the pitch clock is just one of numerous proposed ideas to make it more interesting. Only allow three attempted pickoffs before the runner gets a free base. Get rid of pinch hitters and runners so that every player has to have a well-rounded, athletic game. Or even start extra innings with a runner at second base ─ although this idea has been vehemently opposed.

Unfortunately, I think the biggest problem the MLB has is that baseball is valued as a pastime, where tradition trumps all. To me and many others, however, the idea of emphasizing tradition and not changing the game is exactly what is making America’s favorite pastime a thing of the past."

https://www.dailycal.org/2018/04/10/...-old-baseball/

In the future, people will be streaming and sports are not one of the things people will stay and watch to the end. They'll watch bits and pieces, but the companies do not think sports is something that will keep eyeballs throughout the season. I don't know. I think it depends on the sport.

"Amazon, Facebook, Twitter and YouTube competed for the right to show NFL games on Thursday in 2017 and the industry began to anticipate the possibility of those tech giants routinely bidding for games.

Bidding from tech companies hasn't materialized in the years since then.

“There’s no shortage of sports content across social networks, but the behavioral data shows consumption tends to be in a shallow way. They don’t lend themselves well to long-form content consumption,” said Phil Stephan, director at sports marketing agency Two Circles. “Users don’t engage with content for longer than a few minutes, and this will be a hard behavior to break if they look to push long-form live content on their platforms.”

Facebook director of global sports partnerships Peter Hutton said his company has no plans to place any big bids on sports rights in the near future.

Over-the-top companies like Amazon Prime, Disney and Dazn are slowly testing the waters with rights seemingly at their zenith considering the future of cable companies in a cord cutting era."

Tech Companies Have Cooled on Buying Sports Rights
    https://basketball.******.com/wireta...-Sports-Rights

^all of those younger person ideas are awful.

The problem with those companies bidding for sports is that, once the game is over, everyone can find the score. Or you can follow along on your phone to the games. It's not like Star Wars, which Disney is going to be the only source of material. Even if, say, Facebook, can get rights to baseball games, there are still products out there that will get you the same information, and after the game, it's irrelevant because the event is now final. It's very rare for people to watch the game after the fact, at least in my experience.

What an awesome experience the parade was! Never seen the mall so crowded before, but then I dont really do political events. Favorite part for sure was when Trea Turner caught a beer that someone frkm the crowd threw to him and chugged it lol.

Quote Originally Posted by goingfor28 View Post
    ^all of those younger person ideas are awful.
    No, we need that if you want to keep MLB going. The NBA is already talking about cutting the regular season from 82 games to 70. That would mean lower ticket prices for the fans.

I rarely watch MLB anymore because I don't want to invest the time. If I do, it's bits and pieces. Have found better things to do, and I retired early. Besides, I don't think you get the best athletes anymore in MLB. A 162-game season is boring. Cutting it a third to 102 game season would be better. JMO. I don't think you want casual fans anymore. One has to invest time in Sabermetrics and stuff or else you're fodder. Even the fantasy baseball, which I like, takes up too much time. Tickets are expensive for the casual fans to take a family of four to. I'd get rid of specialty pitchers, hitters, and all that crap. Make starters go 9 innings or cut the game to 7 innings. Maybe the AL can keep its DH. Anyway, that's my 2 cents. I'm just casual although I played the sport.

Your ideas are even worse

Quote Originally Posted by jasonbourne View Post
    No, we need that if you want to keep MLB going. The NBA is already talking about cutting the regular season from 82 games to 70. That would mean lower ticket prices for the fans.

I rarely watch MLB anymore because I don't want to invest the time. If I do, it's bits and pieces. Have found better things to do, and I retired early. Besides, I don't think you get the best athletes anymore in MLB. A 162-game season is boring. Cutting it a third to 102 game season would be better. JMO. I don't think you want casual fans anymore. One has to invest time in Sabermetrics and stuff or else you're fodder. Even the fantasy baseball, which I like, takes up too much time. Tickets are expensive for the casual fans to take a family of four to. I'd get rid of specialty pitchers, hitters, and all that crap. Make starters go 9 innings or cut the game to 7 innings. Maybe the AL can keep its DH. Anyway, that's my 2 cents. I'm just casual although I played the sport.
    "Make starters go nine innings or cut the game to 7."

No.

No franchise is going to cut 60 games of revenue.

No fan has to invest in sabermetrics to enjoy the game.

So many horrible ideas here that I don't know where to start.

"there's no scraps in my scrapbook"

God hates MTM.

Lulz

Quote Originally Posted by ciaban2.0 View Post
    They were the oldest team in the majors, and if they lose Strausberg and Rendon, making it back next year in a crowded NL East seems like it will be a hard task, especially with the way that Scherzers body is starting to break down.
    Not to mention Kendrick's season he had lol. He's a good hitter but he was a GREAT hitter this season. not sure that's gonna continue. Even if he's back to .290 that's a huge drop.

But I have lots of respect for what the nats did. nothing but love here.
    For not honoring a sig bet I now own YEDB90

I agree with cutting the games down some but 102 is not gonna happen. We also need to dump pitchers hitting. That's such a disgrace to watch.

I had a very busy year working, traveling, family and friends but I still managed to keep up to date with my Indians and baseball its not difficult or time consuming. I highly doubt you had anything better to do. You are either lying and you did watch or you just wanna b**** and hate for no reason.
    For not honoring a sig bet I now own YEDB90

Page 38 of 38 FirstFirst ... 28363738