Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by thefeckcampaign View Post
    Other the exceptionally talented multi-sport player, I don’t see how this comes into the decision of an athlete. Baseball not being sought after by youth has more to do with the options to play other sports, my son as an example chose to do aikido and lacrosse instead of the traditional soccer/football, wrestling/basketball, and baseball seasonal options.

There’s also MLB’s failure to connect with the kids by having shorter and earlier games with more reasonable ticket prices. No longer can a kid get one of the best seats in the stadium by working 2.5 hours at a minimum wage job. Those same seats take 8 hours at a minimum wage rate today.

The start times and lengths of these games are completely disconnecting the youth from them. I believe ALCS Game 4 lasted 4.5hrs, going past 12pm here on the East Coast and it was a 9 inning game. Besides pace of play and the amount of pitching changes, the amount of commercials allowed in between innings is dragging the game along.

All of this is caused by both the greed of the teams and the players and at one point it’s going to come back and hit them in the face.

The median age of the audience that tuned in for the 2018 World Series was 56.2 years, up from 55 years in 2017 and 53.6 years in 2016. It’s only going to get worse and Fox’s choice to have WWE over Game 5 of the ALCS, which they put on FS1, is a prime example of the direction the game is going.
    To your last point, while baseball has one of the older audiences of most sports, the median age of live TV viewership has risen right in line with the mlb. Between cord cutting and just personal choices, younger audiences don't watch traditional TV, which is what gets measured mostly in those median age measurements.

And the wwe vs mlb thing is contractual. It's not that they think wwe gets more viewers, it's how the structured their TV rights. It's not significantly different than the nba, which doesnt have every game of a series on national TV until the finals as well.

I'm a mild fan of the minors. We have a ton of teams here in Cali and it's pretty cool. I've seen a bunch, good atmosphere every time! I'm not sure how they do during the week though. I can see this being a huge win all the way around. It sounds like this is mostly stadium driven. I know it will suck for a lot towns losing their team but I think there could be hope. The minor league team closest to where I live actually folded a few years ago. The city moved an independent league team in. I doubt anyone noticed. That's where I think there could be an opportunity for the cities that no longer have a minor league caliber stadium. The article says thousands of players will lose their jobs. I think that's probably an exaggeration but hundreds, maybe a thousand is probably accurate. I think it would be under 2,000 to constitute "thousands". Either way those players will be looking for work. Perhaps this new plan could lead to a boom in the independent leagues and a big increase in the quality of play and fan experience in the minor leagues?

No more Rookie short season leagues.

Draft will reduce to 20 rounds

Minor League Salaries would increase.

No more shifting of MLB affiliates.

"You don't know how to drink. Your whole generation, you drink for the wrong reasons. My generation, we drink because it's good, because it feels better than unbuttoning your collar, because we deserve it. We drink because it's what men do."

Quote Originally Posted by Dugmet View Post
    Feel bad for small towns that might lose their teams: Kingsport, Tn, Billings, Mt, etc. Baseball goes back decades. Mets have been in Kingsport for at least 40 years.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Hundreds of people in these small towns are going to lose their jobs all for a corporate buck. MLB owners don't give a crap about these people and their livelihood. They only care about their own greed.

On a side note, I wonder if fireflies will become the Cyclones now?

"You don't know how to drink. Your whole generation, you drink for the wrong reasons. My generation, we drink because it's good, because it feels better than unbuttoning your collar, because we deserve it. We drink because it's what men do."

Honestly I think much of this is posturing as we approach the next CBA. The more "takeaways" ownership throws on the table, the more they can "concede" back to the MLBPA.
    “It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, at least fails while daring greatly.” -- Teddy Roosevelt

Quote Originally Posted by Claymation View Post
    Hundreds of people in these small towns are going to lose their jobs all for a corporate buck. MLB owners don't give a crap about these people and their livelihood. They only care about their own greed.

Why would the MLB care about that and why should they?

Minor league teams are independently owned by other people, not the MLB owners. They are subsidized league that lives off the backs of the MLB.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffy25 View Post

Minor league teams are independently owned by other people, not the MLB owners. They are subsidized league that lives off the backs of the MLB.
    I guess you are on the side of the owners. Good for you.

Actually, many minor league teams are owned by the parent organization. For example the Mets own 5 of 7: the Syracuse Mets, St. Lucie Mets, Brooklyn Cyclones, Kingsport Mets, and GCL Mets. They do not own AA Binghamlon and Low-A Columbia. It sounds like the Kingsport Mets would be eliminated under the proposal.

There's also this thing called social responsibility. Even if you are not required to care -- it's better for the greater good of more people.
    “It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, at least fails while daring greatly.” -- Teddy Roosevelt

Yeah. It’s robbing Peter to pay Paul. MLB is just trying to shift the blame so they don’t have to spend any money. Typical corporate ********.

If Trump can become president with no political background then I don't understand why I need a resumé

I guess you are on the side of the owners. Good for you.
    I actually think the MLBPA should change their charter and cover the minor leaguers as well the big leaguers, and then reduce the totals and have all the minor league clubs owned by their parents.

If that's the case, then all of this changes.

But until that happens, the minor league teams that are independently owned are certainly on their own.

Quote Originally Posted by Dugmet View Post
    Honestly I think much of this is posturing as we approach the next CBA. The more "takeaways" ownership throws on the table, the more they can "concede" back to the MLBPA.
    It shouldnt matter to be honest. Anyone off the 40 man isn't part of the mlbpa, and virtually everyone impacted by this rule will be low levels. The mlbpa has pretty much crapped on young players and minor leaguers for years in negotiations, so this really won't do much.

This is just a way for owners to streamline costs and potentially raise minor league salaries without hurting the bottom line. Pay less people more money.

if for some reason the NYP-League went under, Brooklyn is more than capable of supporting Mets AA team. Buh bye Bingy.

And there are talks of doing some sort of "Dream League" where undrafted or cut players can go to try and keep their career going. I can see a couple of those teams left outside forming leagues like this.

Quote Originally Posted by crewfan13 View Post
    It shouldnt matter to be honest. Anyone off the 40 man isn't part of the mlbpa, and virtually everyone impacted by this rule will be low levels. The mlbpa has pretty much crapped on young players and minor leaguers for years in negotiations, so this really won't do much.

This is just a way for owners to streamline costs and potentially raise minor league salaries without hurting the bottom line. Pay less people more money.
    In addition to paying less people more money, it's more time that the coaches can spend with the players. A large percentage of guys in the minors will never see AA or AAA, much less make the big leagues. It's better to focus on the smaller number in their minds.

Quote Originally Posted by ThomasTomasz View Post
    In addition to paying less people more money, it's more time that the coaches can spend with the players. A large percentage of guys in the minors will never see AA or AAA, much less make the big leagues. It's better to focus on the smaller number in their minds.
    Yea, that's something I've wrestled with too. I live a half hour or so from a low a team.
    I go to games once and awhile. In a good year, theres maybe 4-6 semi legit prospects there. In a down year, it's like 1-3 guys. And some of those guys don't make it and maybe others sneak up on you and make it. But at the end of the day, half the roster at least is just filler. Again, perhaps one or two of those filler guys make it once and awhile, but theres a ton of minor leaguers that pretty much everyone knows aren't more than just double a roster filler at best.

It sucks that players lose their jobs. It sucks that some towns lose teams. It sucks that people in those lose jobs who work in the those orgs. But it really isn't going to drastically impact baseball in my mind.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast