Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

MLB Proposal Would Eliminate 42 Minor League Teams

MLB Proposal Would Eliminate 42 Minor League Teams

The Professional Baseball Agreement (PBA) between Major League Baseball and minor league teams expires at the end of the 2020 season. But if a new MLB proposal were to become reality, more than three dozen cities with affiliated minor league teams will lose those teams a year from now and thousands of minor league players will be out of work as well.

MLB has offered a proposal that, if adopted, would reduce Minor League Baseball from 160 teamsónot counting the complex league teams that are wholly MLB-ownedóto 120 beginning in 2021.

Under the proposal, some teams would have to shed more than 100 players from their current MiLB rosters. The Yankees currently field eight U.S. minor league affiliates, which means they can currently have as many as 285 players under contract. Under this proposal, they would have to drop as many as 135 players to meet the new restrictions.
    Read the full article: https://www.baseballamerica.com/stor...-league-teams/
    ďIt is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, at least fails while daring greatly.Ē -- Teddy Roosevelt

IMO I want less minor league clubs. I donít like having 6 minor league teams and players having to go through a minimum of 3 years to get to the bigs. Baseball isnít as sought after by youth because in sports like basketball, you have a linear path to the NBA. In baseball, thereís all sorts of zigs and zags. Baseball would benefit if players went through minors quicker and the average age of players were to be lower.

That being said, itís not right to essentially layoff 100+ players because MLB refuses to pay its players a livable wage. They have the money to pay these people more but baseball is so top heavy that stars get paid all this money they donít need while guys like Randy Dobnak have no choice but to drive Uber to pay for rent.

TLDR; less minors/hoops to jump through = better for baseball and definitely will encourage people to go after the sport more. That being said, all of these fringe guys shouldnít be cut out of a livelihood because Mlb is too cheap.
    If Trump can become president with no political background then I don't understand why I need a resumť

Getting rid of some minor league affiliates isn't really going to make it so prospects get promoted to the bigs quicker. It's not like teams just arbitrarily force their young players to play a certain amount of time at each level of their minor league system. If these prospects were ready for the majors, they'd already be there. Unlike the NBA, MLB prospects simply aren't prepared to make an immediate jump from high school or college ball right to prime time (regardless of whether the team that drafted them has 6 minor league affiliates or 3 minor league affiliates).

"there's no scraps in my scrapbook"

Quote Originally Posted by Zmaster52 View Post
    IMO I want less minor league clubs. I donít like having 6 minor league teams and players having to go through a minimum of 3 years to get to the bigs. Baseball isnít as sought after by youth because in sports like basketball, you have a linear path to the NBA. In baseball, thereís all sorts of zigs and zags. Baseball would benefit if players went through minors quicker and the average age of players were to be lower.

That being said, itís not right to essentially layoff 100+ players because MLB refuses to pay its players a livable wage. They have the money to pay these people more but baseball is so top heavy that stars get paid all this money they donít need while guys like Randy Dobnak have no choice but to drive Uber to pay for rent.

TLDR; less minors/hoops to jump through = better for baseball and definitely will encourage people to go after the sport more. That being said, all of these fringe guys shouldnít be cut out of a livelihood because Mlb is too cheap.
    To your last point, theoretically the opposite is true. Players getting called up quicker likely decreases the quality of the game. Most 19 year olds aren't ready for the big leagues. For every Juan Soto there's 100s of kids who aren't ready. I think a guy like Lucas giolito is a poster child for that. He was near the top of prospect lists for much of his career but wasn't really ready for the bigs until his age 24 season. And he's not really the exception to the rule.

Mlb has an issue every year with a handful of guys with service time manipulation. That prevents some guys from reaching the bigs as soon as possible. I hope the can figure out a way to fix that. But just trying to gst every minor leaguer to the bigs faster doesn't really do much good.

Quote Originally Posted by spliff(TONE) View Post
    Getting rid of some minor league affiliates isn't really going to make it so prospects get promoted to the bigs quicker. It's not like teams just arbitrarily force their young players to play a certain amount of time at each level of their minor league system. If these prospects were ready for the majors, they'd already be there. Unlike the NBA, MLB prospects simply aren't prepared to make an immediate jump from high school or college ball right to prime time (regardless of whether the team that drafted them has 6 minor league affiliates or 3 minor league affiliates).
    Theoretically, it would work...but only if we created an entirely new baseball league and started from scratch, where all teams have an equal number of affiliates and donít have already existing Mlb players. Realistically, zero chance of any of what I said is happening. It would only work in a lord of the flies esque scenario.

If you want to get technical, service time manipulation is essentially teams telling a player that they have to spend X amount of time in the minors, albeit a little different.

Still, I do think that people would be more interested in baseball if there was a more linear path.
    If Trump can become president with no political background then I don't understand why I need a resumť

Feel bad for small towns that might lose their teams: Kingsport, Tn, Billings, Mt, etc. Baseball goes back decades. Mets have been in Kingsport for at least 40 years.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    ďIt is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, at least fails while daring greatly.Ē -- Teddy Roosevelt

Theoretically, it would work...but only if we created an entirely new baseball league and started from scratch, where all teams have an equal number of affiliates and donít have already existing Mlb players. Realistically, zero chance of any of what I said is happening. It would only work in a lord of the flies esque scenario.

If you want to get technical, service time manipulation is essentially teams telling a player that they have to spend X amount of time in the minors, albeit a little different.

Still, I do think that people would be more interested in baseball if there was a more linear path.
    Again, getting rid of a few minor league affiliates for each team isn't likely to speed up the path to the big leagues for anyone.

....and while service time manipulation does keep a player in the minors longer than they might really need to be, it is not the same as arbitrarily forcing your prospects to play X amount of games at each level. Players advance through a team's minor league system based on their performance and readiness, not their age or how much time has elapsed since they were drafted.

High school/college - draft - minors - majors. There's simply no skipping the minor leagues in MLB. Many youngsters want the instant gratification of going right from the draft to the big boy squad and/or simply prefer basketball or football to baseball regardless. Getting rid of a few minor league affiliates isn't going to change this one bit. Either way about it, baseball players need to put in their time in the minors to be properly prepared for success in the majors.

High school/college - draft - minors - majors. There's simply no skipping the minor leagues in MLB. Many youngsters want the instant gratification of going right from the draft to the big boy squad and/or simply prefer basketball or football to baseball regardless. Getting rid of a few minor league affiliates isn't going to change this one bit. Either way about it, baseball players need to put in their time in the minors to be properly prepared for success in the majors.
    Believe me, I donít think getting rid of minor league affiliates is going to change anything except making mlb look like a bunch of doofuses for putting people out of work.

Believe me, I donít think getting rid of minor league affiliates is going to change anything except making mlb look like a bunch of doofuses for putting people out of work.

Could have fooled me.

^^^^

Could have fooled me.

^^^^
    I didnít say there would be a more linear path, just that thereís a perception of one. Those are two very different things. I already said that this wonít work the way I hope it will.

You donít think that players would be happier if they got a living wage and werenít bouncing around from city to city each year? (Iím referring to home, not travel ball)

Yeah, the quality of baseball will go down - like both you and crewsfan said. Still, less competition = more opportunity (more or less)

Like everything Iíve already said, itís all theoretical. I donít have an answer.

The bigger problem of all of this is that MLB is cheap and refuses to pay its lower level players.

Minor leaguers salaries are a completely different topic than getting rid of a bunch of minor league affiliates but yes, of course these guys would be happier if they were paid a living wage.

You'll never see a more linear path to the big leagues because baseball isn't a sport built purely by athleticism. It's a specific skill sport that takes years to perfect and improve.

Here are the average peak ages for a player in each of the big 4 professional sports

Baseball - 26-32
    Basketball - 22-28
    Football - 23-28 (depends on position)
    Hockey - 23-29

The average baseball player doesn't reach their peak until they are 8 years removed from high school. Where the other sports it's 4-5 years after high school, and they decline faster [though hockey has a pretty gradual decline like baseball after 30 (compared to the other sports)].

You will never get a more linear path, because kids have to go to some sort of an instructional league to improve after high school/college, as opposed to the other sports.

Also, baseball comes off as boring because it takes less athleticism and the pace is slower, and teens aren't as interested in either aspect (compared to other sports).

That said, I've long felt that minor leaguers need to be protected under the CBA and paid a higher wage and receive the benefits from the big league organizations. I think that alone would draw more multi-sport athletes to the sport. I also think that service time (for the big leagues) should start whenever you are signed (drafted then signed for most) instead of your MLB service time.

Other the exceptionally talented multi-sport player, I donít see how this comes into the decision of an athlete. Baseball not being sought after by youth has more to do with the options to play other sports, my son as an example chose to do aikido and lacrosse instead of the traditional soccer/football, wrestling/basketball, and baseball seasonal options.

Thereís also MLBís failure to connect with the kids by having shorter and earlier games with more reasonable ticket prices. No longer can a kid get one of the best seats in the stadium by working 2.5 hours at a minimum wage job. Those same seats take 8 hours at a minimum wage rate today.

The start times and lengths of these games are completely disconnecting the youth from them. I believe ALCS Game 4 lasted 4.5hrs, going past 12pm here on the East Coast and it was a 9 inning game. Besides pace of play and the amount of pitching changes, the amount of commercials allowed in between innings is dragging the game along.

All of this is caused by both the greed of the teams and the players and at one point itís going to come back and hit them in the face.

The median age of the audience that tuned in for the 2018 World Series was 56.2 years, up from 55 years in 2017 and 53.6 years in 2016. Itís only going to get worse and Foxís choice to have WWE over Game 5 of the ALCS, which they put on FS1, is a prime example of the direction the game is going.

Moved this discussion into it's own thread, since the national news has received a lot of traction so far. Great discussion here too.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast