Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Agreed

Quote Originally Posted by metswon69 View Post
    Its not about the defense. Greg Williams can make a guy off the street look good. We saw that last year. I wouldn't mind Warford because the offensive line still needs work imo but I understand why they wouldn't want to invest 7+million dollars a year in a guard.

I do think they need more weapons though. Only elite QBs find ways to be super productive in spite of the cast around them. Perriman, Crowder, Mims, Herndon, Griffin, Bell doesn't impress me as a group.
    What you say makes sense.

Warford would be a big improvement over who they've got at guard right now. That would be a quality left side of the line in between Becton and McGovern.

Unfortunately, it looks like slim pickings at the skill positions unless someone really good gets unexpectedly cut.

Bell is a high skill back. With a line, especially if we get Warford, he should be productive.
    It would also help if Gase would get a clue and mimic what the Steelers did with Bell.
    Bell should be someone that Darnold can rely on to get open consistently and get some yards.
    Somebody, send Gase some old Steelers game film!

With my Jets rose colored glasses on, Crowder looks like a pretty good slot guy and Mims and Herndon have a lot of potential. But you're right one more quality receiver who can get himself open on a regular basis would certainly help.

Anyway, I would like to say that Darnold needs to make something happen with the group he's got this year. If he can't throw some of these guys open, how special is he?

Its rumored Warford is looking for $7M annually
    Sounds low, I thought hed be around $10M

Were tight on cap space IMO even if its a 1:1 swap by cutting Winters, but I think its a very good move

Quote Originally Posted by ortforshort View Post
    What you say makes sense.

Warford would be a big improvement over who they've got at guard right now. That would be a quality left side of the line in between Becton and McGovern.

Unfortunately, it looks like slim pickings at the skill positions unless someone really good gets unexpectedly cut.

Bell is a high skill back. With a line, especially if we get Warford, he should be productive.
    It would also help if Gase would get a clue and mimic what the Steelers did with Bell.
    Bell should be someone that Darnold can rely on to get open consistently and get some yards.
    Somebody, send Gase some old Steelers game film!

With my Jets rose colored glasses on, Crowder looks like a pretty good slot guy and Mims and Herndon have a lot of potential. But you're right one more quality receiver who can get himself open on a regular basis would certainly help.

Anyway, I would like to say that Darnold needs to make something happen with the group he's got this year. If he can't throw some of these guys open, how special is he?
    Bell didn't look like the dynamic back he was during his time with the Steelers. I was never a big fan of the Bell deal. RB have a shelf life and Bell is approaching his. I don't think it was all the offensive line either. It looked like Bell lost a step.

Crowder is a good slot guy and I like Mim's ceiling a lot. Herndon has to stay healthy. Either way, I still don't like the Jet's offense. I would feel better if they had a game changer somewhere. They really don't and if the Jets wanted to help Sam's progression, they would have given him better options.

Game Changer

Bell didn't look like the dynamic back he was during his time with the Steelers. I was never a big fan of the Bell deal. RB have a shelf life and Bell is approaching his. I don't think it was all the offensive line either. It looked like Bell lost a step.

Crowder is a good slot guy and I like Mim's ceiling a lot. Herndon has to stay healthy. Either way, I still don't like the Jet's offense. I would feel better if they had a game changer somewhere. They really don't and if the Jets wanted to help Sam's progression, they would have given him better options.
    No one was happy with the Bell deal, except Maccagnan and Bell
    But we're stuck with him and might as well use him.
    He did look sluggish last year, but Gase used him about as poorly as is humanly possible.
    I don't know if Gase is stubborn or just plain stupid, probably both.

The Jets do have a game changer, or so we hope, Darnold.
    If he can't lift up the skill guys around him, throw them open, so to speak, then what do we really have with Darnold? A hyped-up game manager? This is the year to see if Darnold brings something special to the table or if he is just an ordinary QB who needs high level talent around him to be any good. Guys like that are a dime a dozen (see Andy Dalton).

Bell likely lost 2-3 steps as the defensive tackles were already in the backfield

Bell also had Adam Gase calling running plays straight into the strength of the defense far too many times.

Somewhere within the transmutation of Yin and Yang
    Quote Originally Posted by MrX27 View Post
    Bell also had Adam Gase calling running plays straight into the strength of the defense far too many times.
    As I said, it's brilliant. Attack the oppositions strength, with your weakness.

Ignorance is bliss

Quote Originally Posted by Kinkotheclown View Post
    Question.

Did Gase utilize Bell to the best of his abilities?

If yes, then you put a majority of the fault on Bell.
    If no, then Gase rightfully deserves a majority of the blame.

I saw more horrible playcalling than anything else, so I easily point the finger at Gase more than Bell.
    Last edited by MrX27; 05-13-2020 at 11:18 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by MrX27 View Post
    Question.

Did Gase utilize Bell to the best of his abilities?

If yes, then you put a majority of the fault on Bell.
    If no, then Gase rightfully deserves a majority of the blame.
    I think you know this but I was being very facetious with that comment.

Gase did nothing to utilize Bell correctly. Bell should have led the team in receptions. He rarely spread him out to a WR spot. He didn't run enough screens. He didn't run enough pass plays for him. He never put him not space on running plays.

It was as if Gase wanted Bell to fail.

Ignorance is bliss

I think you know this but I was being very facetious with that comment.

Gase did nothing to utilize Bell correctly. Bell should have led the team in receptions. He rarely spread him out to a WR spot. He didn't run enough screens. He didn't run enough pass plays for him. He never put him not space on running plays.

It was as if Gase wanted Bell to fail.
    For sure.
    My comment was more meant for anyone pointing their finger a at Bell like he was more the problem then the actual playcaller himself.

Did Bell have any rust? Probably but did the playcalling do him any favors? Not at all.

Besides, Gase now has the RB he apparently wanted along with Bell, so what other excuses does he have left if the offense doesn't succeed?

Honestly, have anyone seen any signs of a person to be nicknamed the QB whisperer?

Gase is a pioneer, hes doing things other teams wouldnt dare

Quote Originally Posted by Larry M View Post
    Bell likely lost 2-3 steps as the defensive tackles were already in the backfield
    Yeah I dont think it was all their offensive line. Bell looked a step slower than his time in Pittsburgh and he was never one of the faster backs in the league to begin with. An improved offensive line will help but the playcalling still sucks and teams are going to dare Darnold to beat them in the passing game with multiple looks of 7 and 8 guys in the box.

Quote Originally Posted by larry m View Post
    bell likely lost 2-3 steps as the defensive tackles were already in the backfield
    tmml

Ignorance is bliss

https://ftw.usatoday.com/2020/07/new...ts-sam-darnold

Opinion piece but it still paints a sobering picture of Sam

Ignorance is bliss

Steve Ruiz thought Patrick Mahomes was going to be a bad QB.

So Ill take his opinion with a grain of salt.

"You don't know how to drink. Your whole generation, you drink for the wrong reasons. My generation, we drink because it's good, because it feels better than unbuttoning your collar, because we deserve it. We drink because it's what men do."

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast