Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

"You don't know how to drink. Your whole generation, you drink for the wrong reasons. My generation, we drink because it's good, because it feels better than unbuttoning your collar, because we deserve it. We drink because it's what men do."

Sam Darnold is our FQB

Quote Originally Posted by Claymation View Post
    #GetHimALineJoeDouglas

[emoji1374]

When you're always throwing under pressure with an awful Oline, that stat doesn't say much...

Quote Originally Posted by bklynny67 View Post
    When you're always throwing under pressure with an awful Oline, that stat doesn't say much...
    From Weeks 10-17, Sam Darnold took pressure on a higher % of dropbacks than any other qualified QB (41.9%), yet still ranked 10th in passer rating (93.3) & 11th in Y/A (7.3)

Does this?

"You don't know how to drink. Your whole generation, you drink for the wrong reasons. My generation, we drink because it's good, because it feels better than unbuttoning your collar, because we deserve it. We drink because it's what men do."

Big Year for Darnold

Quote Originally Posted by Kinkotheclown View Post
    For now he is. Let's hope it continues the way it's going. We've seen this story before on the Jets and around the league.
    Yes, you will say he's different. I agree that he looks like he is. But I need to see him next year. Even if this year is good. You need more history.
    No more excuses this year with Darnold.

This is the year he must turn potential into production.
    High level production.

The schedule is brutal - lots of high end defenses.
    The question is, will Darnold respond like Mahomes, Wilson, Watson, Wentz or will he respond like Mayfield, Goff, Trubisky, Mariota.

So far, he's looking more likely to be closer to the second group. He's very young and had poor support. He's got a couple of years under his belt and he's got what looks like a decent group of linemen and skill players around him.

If Darnold continues to look like he has the past two seasons, no bueno.
    He needs to start making plays, without mistakes, against the big boys this season.
    If he doesn't, and the Jets suck again this year, we'll be drafting very high and I would be looking for a new QB.

In that scenario, if Gaze were to still be around, I quit.

Somewhere within the transmutation of Yin and Yang
    Quote Originally Posted by ortforshort View Post
    No more excuses this year with Darnold.

This is the year he must turn potential into production.
    High level production.

The schedule is brutal - lots of high end defenses.
    The question is, will Darnold respond like Mahomes, Wilson, Watson, Wentz or will he respond like Mayfield, Goff, Trubisky, Mariota.

So far, he's looking more likely to be closer to the second group. He's very young and had poor support. He's got a couple of years under his belt and he's got what looks like a decent group of linemen and skill players around him.

If Darnold continues to look like he has the past two seasons, no bueno.
    He needs to start making plays, without mistakes, against the big boys this season.
    If he doesn't, and the Jets suck again this year, we'll be drafting very high and I would be looking for a new QB.

In that scenario, if Gaze were to still be around, I quit.
    I agree on all accounts. This is the year he needs to take a step.

If he does not, Gase must go and give sam a year under another HC and OC.
    He's still super young. He will be 23 next months. I think QBs settle in fully by 25 so I give him till his contract is up. Whether or not that is with Gase, I don't know.

Ignorance is bliss

Agreed

I agree on all accounts. This is the year he needs to take a step.

If he does not, Gase must go and give sam a year under another HC and OC.
    He's still super young. He will be 23 next months. I think QBs settle in fully by 25 so I give him till his contract is up. Whether or not that is with Gase, I don't know.
    Agreed.
    I like Darnold, but it's time for him to start showing us something on a more consistent basis.

Altho', if the Jets really stink it up this year (which would mean that Sam hadn't taken a solid step forward) and are drafting 1 or 2, I would have to think hard about not picking one of Lawrence or Fields at QB

I'd like to see Darnold with a real playcaller 1st, before we go there.

Chris Johnson's Incompetence

Quote Originally Posted by MrX27 View Post
    I'd like to see Darnold with a real playcaller 1st, before we go there.
    Chris Johnson's incompetence has had a staggering affect on this franchise.

Letting Maccagnan ruin last year's offseason and then get rid of him after the damage was done was a monumental setback

Hiring Gaze, who only Johnson seems to think is a quarterback whisperer, is even more of a disaster.

The fact that you really can't separate Gaze's incompetence from Darnold's performance means that we'll have wasted years before discovering whether Darnold actually is any good or not.

If the Jets stink it up again this year and are picking 1 or 2, who was to blame? Gaze, who we know is incompetent, or Darnold, who we'll have no idea if he's any good or not? No bueno on any of this.

I would love to see Darnold go out and beat some of these A-list teams with Russell Wilson or DeShawn Watson types of performances this year. With Gaze around, however, what's the chances of that?

When Darnold was out last year, the offense was beyond pathetic. It became a little OK after Darnold came back (save the New England ghost game). The question is is that the ceiling for this duo? Moving forward, we could be wasting several years and opportunities to get a real franchise quarterback if Gaze's incompetence is hiding the fact that Darnold may not be the answer.

Chris Johnson's incompetence has had a staggering affect on this franchise.

Letting Maccagnan ruin last year's offseason and then get rid of him after the damage was done was a monumental setback

Hiring Gaze, who only Johnson seems to think is a quarterback whisperer, is even more of a disaster.

The fact that you really can't separate Gaze's incompetence from Darnold's performance means that we'll have wasted years before discovering whether Darnold actually is any good or not.

If the Jets stink it up again this year and are picking 1 or 2, who was to blame? Gaze, who we know is incompetent, or Darnold, who we'll have no idea if he's any good or not? No bueno on any of this.

I would love to see Darnold go out and beat some of these A-list teams with Russell Wilson or DeShawn Watson types of performances this year. With Gaze around, however, what's the chances of that?

When Darnold was out last year, the offense was beyond pathetic. It became a little OK after Darnold came back (save the New England ghost game). The question is is that the ceiling for this duo? Moving forward, we could be wasting several years and opportunities to get a real franchise quarterback if Gaze's incompetence is hiding the fact that Darnold may not be the answer.
    I can't see Gase surviving another losing season where Darnold underperforms. Chris Johnson might be inept but after all the fan pressure last season, you have to believe he's on a short leash despite the vote of confidence.

Tough thing with Darnold is that if he doesn't take a significant step forward this year, how much more patience can you have? Usually 1st round QBs get 3 years to show something. I know Darnold has had two coaches and hasn't played 2 full calendar seasons yet but that's seems to be the artificial timeline. Sure, there are guys who get longer leashes and Darnold is young so that's to his benefit but there needs to be more measurable growth. He showed improvement last year so hopefully it keeps trending that way. Let's also hope this mix with the offensive line will protect him better as well.

I like what Joe Douglas is putting together but I wasn't thrilled with the Jet's offseason. I thought they should have looked for more weapons.

Gase sucks. Let's just hope Darnold makes that natural progression and his talent can overcome Gase's play calling.

Somewhere within the transmutation of Yin and Yang
    Quote Originally Posted by metswon69 View Post
    I can't see Gase surviving another losing season where Darnold underperforms. Chris Johnson might be inept but after all the fan pressure last season, you have to believe he's on a short leash despite the vote of confidence.

Tough thing with Darnold is that if he doesn't take a significant step forward this year, how much more patience can you have? Usually 1st round QBs get 3 years to show something. I know Darnold has had two coaches and hasn't played 2 full calendar seasons yet but that's seems to be the artificial timeline. Sure, there are guys who get longer leashes and Darnold is young so that's to his benefit but there needs to be more measurable growth. He showed improvement last year so hopefully it keeps trending that way. Let's also hope this mix with the offensive line will protect him better as well.

I like what Joe Douglas is putting together but I wasn't thrilled with the Jet's offseason. I thought they should have looked for more weapons.

Gase sucks. Let's just hope Darnold makes that natural progression and his talent can overcome Gase's play calling.
    If Darnold plays well in spite of Gase, Gase will still be here. It sucks.

Ignorance is bliss

If Darnold plays well in spite of Gase, Gase will still be here. It sucks.
    Sure but if the team's record doesn't improve, I can see Gase getting canned. I think there is going to be real pressure on the Jets to make the playoffs this year.

Maybe We'll Get Lucky

Quote Originally Posted by metswon69 View Post

I think Douglas is playing the long game.
    He could splurge for guys like Warford, Clowney and Logan Ryan, butI'm sure he feels why trade longer term flexibility for shorter term guys that might get you a couple of games in the standings, but where are you going with that now - eight wins versus six wins?

I don't expect a bunch of wins this season, but I would like to see Darnold outplay a bunch of the QB's on our schedule:
    Josh Allen - Buffalo
    Stidham - New England
    Mayfield - Cleveland
    Murray - Arizona
    Goff - Rams
    Garoppolo - 49ers
    Lock - Denver
    Herbert - Chargers
    Carr - Raiders

If he outplays these guys, then we've got something
    If he doesn't, we don't

Should be interesting to watch

I think Douglas is playing the long game.
    He could splurge for guys like Warford, Clowney and Logan Ryan, butI'm sure he feels why trade longer term flexibility for shorter term guys that might get you a couple of games in the standings, but where are you going with that now - eight wins versus six wins?

I don't expect a bunch of wins this season, but I would like to see Darnold outplay a bunch of the QB's on our schedule:
    Josh Allen - Buffalo
    Stidham - New England
    Mayfield - Cleveland
    Murray - Arizona
    Goff - Rams
    Garoppolo - 49ers
    Lock - Denver
    Herbert - Chargers
    Carr - Raiders

If he outplays these guys, then we've got something
    If he doesn't, we don't

Should be interesting to watch
    Its not about the defense. Greg Williams can make a guy off the street look good. We saw that last year. I wouldn't mind Warford because the offensive line still needs work imo but I understand why they wouldn't want to invest 7+million dollars a year in a guard.

I do think they need more weapons though. Only elite QBs find ways to be super productive in spite of the cast around them. Perriman, Crowder, Mims, Herndon, Griffin, Bell doesn't impress me as a group.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast