Like us on Facebook


Follow us on Twitter





Page 63 of 89 FirstFirst ... 1353616263646573 ... LastLast
Results 931 to 945 of 1323
  1. #931
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    In a crib
    Posts
    34,160
    Friedman logic: sign 4 or 5 washed up/injured pitchers and odds are at least one of them will pan out

    Your baby can't do this

  2. #932
    Join Date
    Aug 2018
    Posts
    132
    Both Jimmy Nelson and Alex Wood are good low-risk signings that provide depth, and the cost is only 5 million guaranteed for a 31 and 29 year old, who are both capable of a rebound and provide good quality starts. This basically makes 12 starting pitchers currently on our 40-man:

    1. RHP Walker Buehler
    2. LHP Clayton Kershaw
    3. RHP Kenta Maeda
    4. LHP Julio Urias
    5. RHP Dustin May
    6. LHP Alex Wood
    7. RHP Jimmy Nelson
    8. RHP Ross Stripling
    9. RHP Tony Gonsolin
    10. RHP Mitchell White
    11. RHP Dennis Santana
    12. LHP Victor Gonzalez

    It is always good to have extreme depth on your roster when it comes to the rotation. I also think this makes it more likely that the Dodgers can trade 1-3 of them in a trade...1, 2, 4 and 5 aren't going anywhere (WB, CK, Julio and Dustin) but it opens up the door for any of the others to be dealt. I wouldn't be surprised if they added one more in Walker or Salazar either....

    I still think they are going to try and make a trade or two before camp. If the Indians aren't willing to move away from asking for Lux, then the obvious next target will be what the Cubs want for Bryant. Without a doubt, that is going to cost pitching; and it is always smarter to add to your depth before trading away some.

    And I still think there is a small chance they bite the bullet on Donaldson.

    I also still think they move Taylor or Hernandez as well; especially if they can't magically move Pollock's deal.

  3. #933
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    10,144
    I bet the same FO cheerleader was also saying the same thing about Kazmir and McCarthy. Friedman is a complete failure with FA signings.

  4. #934
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    10,144
    I know he was, I remember. Especially McCarthy.

  5. #935
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    225
    Quote Originally Posted by bkt42 View Post
    Both Jimmy Nelson and Alex Wood are good low-risk signings that provide depth, and the cost is only 5 million guaranteed for a 31 and 29 year old, who are both capable of a rebound and provide good quality starts. This basically makes 12 starting pitchers currently on our 40-man:

    1. RHP Walker Buehler
    2. LHP Clayton Kershaw
    3. RHP Kenta Maeda
    4. LHP Julio Urias
    5. RHP Dustin May
    6. LHP Alex Wood
    7. RHP Jimmy Nelson
    8. RHP Ross Stripling
    9. RHP Tony Gonsolin
    10. RHP Mitchell White
    11. RHP Dennis Santana
    12. LHP Victor Gonzalez

    It is always good to have extreme depth on your roster when it comes to the rotation. I also think this makes it more likely that the Dodgers can trade 1-3 of them in a trade...1, 2, 4 and 5 aren't going anywhere (WB, CK, Julio and Dustin) but it opens up the door for any of the others to be dealt. I wouldn't be surprised if they added one more in Walker or Salazar either....

    I still think they are going to try and make a trade or two before camp. If the Indians aren't willing to move away from asking for Lux, then the obvious next target will be what the Cubs want for Bryant. Without a doubt, that is going to cost pitching; and it is always smarter to add to your depth before trading away some.

    And I still think there is a small chance they bite the bullet on Donaldson.

    I also still think they move Taylor or Hernandez as well; especially if they can't magically move Pollock's deal.
    Love the overall depth...it's the very reason we will win the division again this year and contend for the WS. That many arms makes it easy to absorb the obvious injuries that will occur during the long season. The Dodgers have been as injured as any other team yet the depth has masked that issue extremely well in recent years. It will again this year.

    The problem is the postseason. While I am confident in Kershaw during the season, he is a liability in the Postseason. When he had his dominant stuff, he couldn't close the deal, and now that his arm is aging, he just can't do it - he has failed in the biggest moments, and I expect that to continue. I am not blaming Kershaw solely, but when you count on him to be your #1 or #2, you have to get results. Assuming he will deliver in October is a mistake, in my opinion. I love the guy, and would like nothing better than to eat crow for doubting him - just burnt too many times.

    So my question is, where does this big arm, postseason-ready, who can live up to the moment, come from? I love Buehler, and fully expect him to compete, but after that, it looks pretty slim. Urias may be the guy, who knows? The bullpen will be good with the usual suspects migrating to the pen during the playoffs, and again, there are so many arms to fill in the gaps there. I actually think the Treinen move could pay huge dividends. Alex Wood was not my favorite when he was here for his first tour - he'll eat some innings, but he won't be a difference maker.

    Unless we pull off a trade between now and the deadline for a big arm, it could be a real issue. Our offense will produce, but a consistent RH bat would also go a LONG way to improving in the postseason.

  6. #936
    Join Date
    Aug 2018
    Posts
    132
    Quote Originally Posted by sonofdad View Post
    Love the overall depth...it's the very reason we will win the division again this year and contend for the WS. That many arms makes it easy to absorb the obvious injuries that will occur during the long season. The Dodgers have been as injured as any other team yet the depth has masked that issue extremely well in recent years. It will again this year.

    The problem is the postseason. While I am confident in Kershaw during the season, he is a liability in the Postseason. When he had his dominant stuff, he couldn't close the deal, and now that his arm is aging, he just can't do it - he has failed in the biggest moments, and I expect that to continue. I am not blaming Kershaw solely, but when you count on him to be your #1 or #2, you have to get results. Assuming he will deliver in October is a mistake, in my opinion. I love the guy, and would like nothing better than to eat crow for doubting him - just burnt too many times.

    So my question is, where does this big arm, postseason-ready, who can live up to the moment, come from? I love Buehler, and fully expect him to compete, but after that, it looks pretty slim. Urias may be the guy, who knows? The bullpen will be good with the usual suspects migrating to the pen during the playoffs, and again, there are so many arms to fill in the gaps there. I actually think the Treinen move could pay huge dividends. Alex Wood was not my favorite when he was here for his first tour - he'll eat some innings, but he won't be a difference maker.

    Unless we pull off a trade between now and the deadline for a big arm, it could be a real issue. Our offense will produce, but a consistent RH bat would also go a LONG way to improving in the postseason.
    Well, I think I know baseball pretty good and the only sure #2 better than what we have that was available in free-agency was Cole, and although we back loaded some of it- 8/300 is still a damn good offer. Would we have countered? IDK, but reports are we were never given the chance, as he wanted to be a Yankee. Maybe MadBum (a lot of postseason experience) would have been someone we should have went after, but he clearly isnt the same pitcher anymore and all signs pointed to him wanting to go to Arizona. Wheeler? He isn't there yet to write down as a #2.

    So yes, it will be hoping Urias or May take that next step until the deadline where perhaps Syndergaard, Clevinger, Boyd or others are available.

    Right now the cost is one of those two guys plus- and that is if they are even remotely available.

    I think the focus shifts to like you said a RH power bat and perhaps one more bullpen arm.....

  7. #937
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    In a crib
    Posts
    34,160
    The punishment came out for the asstros. I think itís light af.. They donít even care about the missed picks and 1 year bans, all they care about is that they were able to cheat to get a chip and keep it

    Your baby can't do this

  8. #938
    Join Date
    Dec 2018
    Posts
    2,274
    Quote Originally Posted by bkt42 View Post
    Both Jimmy Nelson and Alex Wood are good low-risk signings that provide depth, and the cost is only 5 million guaranteed for a 31 and 29 year old, who are both capable of a rebound and provide good quality starts. This basically makes 12 starting pitchers currently on our 40-man:

    1. RHP Walker Buehler
    2. LHP Clayton Kershaw
    3. RHP Kenta Maeda
    4. LHP Julio Urias
    5. RHP Dustin May
    6. LHP Alex Wood
    7. RHP Jimmy Nelson
    8. RHP Ross Stripling
    9. RHP Tony Gonsolin
    10. RHP Mitchell White
    11. RHP Dennis Santana
    12. LHP Victor Gonzalez

    It is always good to have extreme depth on your roster when it comes to the rotation. I also think this makes it more likely that the Dodgers can trade 1-3 of them in a trade...1, 2, 4 and 5 aren't going anywhere (WB, CK, Julio and Dustin) but it opens up the door for any of the others to be dealt. I wouldn't be surprised if they added one more in Walker or Salazar either....

    I still think they are going to try and make a trade or two before camp. If the Indians aren't willing to move away from asking for Lux, then the obvious next target will be what the Cubs want for Bryant. Without a doubt, that is going to cost pitching; and it is always smarter to add to your depth before trading away some.

    And I still think there is a small chance they bite the bullet on Donaldson.

    I also still think they move Taylor or Hernandez as well; especially if they can't magically move Pollock's deal.
    I think both May and Gonsolin start the year in the minors, the first four you listed will be the rotation, the 5th spot will be between Wood, Stripling and Nelson.

    If they move either, it'll probably be Kike since he's in his last season of control.

  9. #939
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    10,144
    I wish the Astros were able to fire Roberts and Friedman.

  10. #940
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    heart of the valley
    Posts
    2,089
    The Astros still came out a winner. So they fired Hinch and some other dude and got fined and lost picks. They still have their world series. I'll tell you what. Go ahead and fire Roberts and Friedman, fine us 5 mil, we'll cough up a couple of first round picks and then give us a world series. Worth it! After all of this I still think we look stupid. Yay, we were the honest ones and at the end of the day that gets us nothing but still being the losers. Hooray for honesty. If you ask Boston and Houston if they would cheat again to get their world series with all of the penalties they would say fuuuuuuccccckkkk yes.

  11. #941
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    heart of the valley
    Posts
    2,089
    Our front office and management is so stupid we don't even know how to cheat! Maybe we'll pull our head out of our *** and start cheating soon. Without pitching we're going to need all of the help we can get.

  12. #942
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    heart of the valley
    Posts
    2,089
    Oh, I forgot, we signed Wood. Nevermind, no cheating necessary now.

  13. #943
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    heart of the valley
    Posts
    2,089
    Baseball sure showed Houston!

  14. #944
    Join Date
    Jan 2020
    Posts
    3
    If the Dodgers won by cheating, the championship would be tainted to me. So the Astros get a title. Itís entertainment. Has no significant impact on my life. I donít get how people who just watch games would sacrifice their principles. Whatís so important about the Dodgers or any team winning, except to those who actually own a team, manage one or play?

    Unfortunately, cheating helps many succeed in all areas of life. Itís not the message for the next generation. Iíll never condone it.

  15. #945
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    heart of the valley
    Posts
    2,089
    Quote Originally Posted by rossf View Post
    If the Dodgers won by cheating, the championship would be tainted to me. So the Astros get a title. Itís entertainment. Has no significant impact on my life. I donít get how people who just watch games would sacrifice their principles. Whatís so important about the Dodgers or any team winning, except to those who actually own a team, manage one or play?

    Unfortunately, cheating helps many succeed in all areas of life. Itís not the message for the next generation. Iíll never condone it.
    Thanks for the input dad. In case you weren't sure getting a title is why they play. If baseball means nothing more to you than an episode of saved by the bell you're probably in the wrong forum.

Page 63 of 89 FirstFirst ... 1353616263646573 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •