Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 62 of 89 FirstFirst ... 1252606162636472 ... LastLast
    Sounds like I am defending the front office, but personally once Wheeler signed with Philly and Cole chose the Yankees, there wasn't too many SP's out there I was particularly interested in. Too much injury history for me to go four years with Ryu; especially at that age and the only other one with even modest interest to me was Bumgarner, and it seems he took less money to head to Arizona (not sure I would have went 5 years with him anyway).

Aside from mere whispers about Clevinger, no other difference making SP is available in trade and for me personally I am not giving up either of Julio Urias or Dustin May as part of that cost to acquire one even if their was. So yes, for me it was always about adding 1-2 of potential bounce back candidates that included Jimmy Nelson, our own in Rich Hill and Michael Wacha (all signed) and a trio who have yet to sign on the dotted line in Danny Salazar, Alex Wood and Taijuan Walker....

Face it, for a team that already has Buehler and Kershaw up at the front and a trio of youngsters ready to compete and excel (May, Urias and Tony Gonsolin) as well as two other pretty darn good veteran options in Kenta Maeda and Ross Stripling.....low-risk depth options it the way to go....unless of course a Clevinger/Boyd/Syndergaard type really become available via trade

A bigger question for me is exactly how Kasten and co. can defend his statement of "I would guess we would be considerably over or a little over the luxury tax line" of $208 million this season when it is all said and done.

The Dodgers just signed 5 of their remaining 9 arbitration guys (Bellinger, Seager, Hernandez, Stripling and Urias who joined already signed Alexander and Barnes) and even if the 4 that are left come in half way to what they want and what the team is offering (Pederson 8.625 million, Taylor 5.525, Muncy 4.34 and Baez 3.75) that still puts us some $36.7 million UNDER the luxury tax line. And despite reports to the contrary, the Dodgers stayed under the $206 million tax line last season (barely); so they won't occur a repeat offender tax.

You aren't adding 35-40 million worth of contracts at the deadline

The problem is that Andy has been all about the low-risk high reward signings since day one and hasn't signed any elite talent since day one.

Quote Originally Posted by bkt42 View Post
    Sounds like I am defending the front office, but personally once Wheeler signed with Philly and Cole chose the Yankees, there wasn't too many SP's out there I was particularly interested in. Too much injury history for me to go four years with Ryu; especially at that age and the only other one with even modest interest to me was Bumgarner, and it seems he took less money to head to Arizona (not sure I would have went 5 years with him anyway).

Aside from mere whispers about Clevinger, no other difference making SP is available in trade and for me personally I am not giving up either of Julio Urias or Dustin May as part of that cost to acquire one even if their was. So yes, for me it was always about adding 1-2 of potential bounce back candidates that included Jimmy Nelson, our own in Rich Hill and Michael Wacha (all signed) and a trio who have yet to sign on the dotted line in Danny Salazar, Alex Wood and Taijuan Walker....

Face it, for a team that already has Buehler and Kershaw up at the front and a trio of youngsters ready to compete and excel (May, Urias and Tony Gonsolin) as well as two other pretty darn good veteran options in Kenta Maeda and Ross Stripling.....low-risk depth options it the way to go....unless of course a Clevinger/Boyd/Syndergaard type really become available via trade
    Maeda and Stripling don't seem to have the stamina to go more than 4 or 5 innings in the regular season. So they'll be coming out of the bullpen come playoff time. May, Urias, and Gonsolin don't have full seasons as starting pitchers, so they are unproven in that capacity. Kershaw is past his prime and will probably continue getting whacked in the postseason. So Buehler is the only starting pitcher that I have confidence in right now for the postseason. That's why I thought it was crucial to sign or trade for an elite starting pitcher who eats up innings. Someone who can complement Buehler during the postseason.

Future Hall of Shamers:
    (1) B.A.L.C.O. Barroids (2) Mark McJuicer (3) Jose Chem-seco (4) Rafael Palmeiroids (5) Ken Chem-initi (6) Jason Gi-andro (7) Ryan Fraud (8) Muscle Melk (9) Woman-Ram (10) Shammy Sosa (11) Roger Clear-mens (12) A-Roid (13) Ryan HGHoward

Quote Originally Posted by dodgerdave View Post
    Maeda and Stripling don't seem to have the stamina to go more than 4 or 5 innings in the regular season. So they'll be coming out of the bullpen come playoff time. May, Urias, and Gonsolin don't have full seasons as starting pitchers, so they are unproven in that capacity. Kershaw is past his prime and will probably continue getting whacked in the postseason. So Buehler is the only starting pitcher that I have confidence in right now for the postseason. That's why I thought it was crucial to sign or trade for an elite starting pitcher who eats up innings. Someone who can complement Buehler during the postseason.
    I agree with you, but your conclusions are awfully vague. Only 4 free-agents even remotely fit that mold and that was Cole, Wheeler, Ryu and Bumgarner (and you could argue the later two have missed considerable time over the last 3-4 seasons, with Ryu having only 69 starts in his last four and MBum having only 72 in his last three)....and no starter who fits that build has been traded this off season, nor mentioned to be on the block really.

So I repeat, once Wheeler went to the Phillies and Cole chose the Yankees; I just don't see a better option than to sign 1-2 reclamation projects UNLESS someone goes on the block.

The hope there of course is 1 of those 3 youngsters do in fact join Buehler (they certainly have the stuff to do so) and then we look at the trading deadline to possibly add another.

The Dodgers are going to add another Nelson type in all likelihood....

1. Buehler
    2. Kershaw
    3. Urias
    4. May
    5. Maeda
    6. Stripling
    7. Gonsolin
    8. Nelson
    9. FA

That is a very solid 9 (whomever the last one is, whether it is Walker, Wood or Salazar) with plenty of enough talent to win the NL West and we can still trade for that second ace come July.

I am more concerned about a RH bat to put in there with all of our lefties to be honest and I still very much want a LH reliever to compliment our RH-dominated pen (KJ, Tiernan, Kelly and Baez).....I am not sold on the Alexander/Ferguson/Kolarek trio at all....

LOL... now we're talking about a platoon rotation... The small market mentality will never win this team a championship.

Quote Originally Posted by bkt42 View Post
    I agree with you, but your conclusions are awfully vague. Only 4 free-agents even remotely fit that mold and that was Cole, Wheeler, Ryu and Bumgarner (and you could argue the later two have missed considerable time over the last 3-4 seasons, with Ryu having only 69 starts in his last four and MBum having only 72 in his last three)....and no starter who fits that build has been traded this off season, nor mentioned to be on the block really.

So I repeat, once Wheeler went to the Phillies and Cole chose the Yankees; I just don't see a better option than to sign 1-2 reclamation projects UNLESS someone goes on the block.

The hope there of course is 1 of those 3 youngsters do in fact join Buehler (they certainly have the stuff to do so) and then we look at the trading deadline to possibly add another.

The Dodgers are going to add another Nelson type in all likelihood....

1. Buehler
    2. Kershaw
    3. Urias
    4. May
    5. Maeda
    6. Stripling
    7. Gonsolin
    8. Nelson
    9. FA

That is a very solid 9 (whomever the last one is, whether it is Walker, Wood or Salazar) with plenty of enough talent to win the NL West and we can still trade for that second ace come July.

I am more concerned about a RH bat to put in there with all of our lefties to be honest and I still very much want a LH reliever to compliment our RH-dominated pen (KJ, Tiernan, Kelly and Baez).....I am not sold on the Alexander/Ferguson/Kolarek trio at all....
    I'd include Strausberg on that list.

Quote Originally Posted by ciaban2.0 View Post
    I'd include Strausberg on that list.
    I meant available to other teams, the Nats had no intention of losing Strasburg

Broken Wood is back after pitching 35 innings last year. I'm looking forward to an early exit in October with these weak **** signings.

Someone is pumped for a platoon rotation with all of these scrubs while taking up roster spots that should go to someone better than Kike and Barnes. I think Friedman is a ****ing idiot.

Alex Pinche Wood...MFer

Pitching 35 innings gets you 4 million plus incentives. More money down the drain from the most overrated nerd in the game.

It's only a matter of time until Brett Anderson returns to the Dodgers.

Future Hall of Shamers:
    (1) B.A.L.C.O. Barroids (2) Mark McJuicer (3) Jose Chem-seco (4) Rafael Palmeiroids (5) Ken Chem-initi (6) Jason Gi-andro (7) Ryan Fraud (8) Muscle Melk (9) Woman-Ram (10) Shammy Sosa (11) Roger Clear-mens (12) A-Roid (13) Ryan HGHoward

I had Wood third and Nelson second (behind Walker) as solid reclamation signings. Most insiders had 1 year and 6-8 million (MLBT had 1/8), so I like the only 4 million guarantee as well it being incentive laden like Nelson's. This gives us 9 candidates for the rotation and I like Wood possibly for the pen too considering Alexander is coming off surgery, Kolarek was a loogy and we have the new "3 batter minimum" rule and only Ferguson as far as southpaws go.

Both these were smart signings with less than 5 million guaranteed.

Now the concentration needs to go to getting balance in that lineup. I still think we dangle Taylor/Hernandez for a bullpen arm as well; assuming they aren't traded in a package for the power RH bat.....

Friedman has never done smart signings... ROFLMFAO!!! Someone should make a list of all the FA signings Friedman had made and I will show their stats and October choke job.

Page 62 of 89 FirstFirst ... 1252606162636472 ... LastLast